Thread: Getting hens to lay in Winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Getting hens to lay in Winter.

Well i thought about getting a 5 x 5 pen and wrap it in instillation and put like 2 lights on it. But where i live the coldest it gets is 15 degrees for that is not really common. But would it work?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting hens to lay in Winter.

i hatch a few off every dec and jan.i put them in a small building.mostly boarded up light on a timer set like summer hours.plenty of fresh water grass when possible pellets at all times.one large light on at all times .mostly in a corner just for the heat.they will lay most the time.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.............

Post Thanks / Like

the light is the key to hens laying eggs in the winter....make sure they are finished moulting....leave the light on all night till they are laying good...make sure they get at least 14 hours of light each day, if you must turn it off...good pellets...and for greens use a head of cabbage works the best..a small amount of vitamins and antibiotics in the water will ensure strong healthy chicks when hatched...above all else its the light...provided you are keeping them out of the elements of winter...

5. Likes southernX, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongviewGameFar View Post
    the light is the key to hens laying eggs in the winter....make sure they are finished moulting....leave the light on all night till they are laying good...make sure they get at least 14 hours of light each day, if you must turn it off...good pellets...and for greens use a head of cabbage works the best..a small amount of vitamins and antibiotics in the water will ensure strong healthy chicks when hatched...above all else its the light...provided you are keeping them out of the elements of winter...
    Could i leave it on 24/7?

Post Thanks / Like

yes...that is the best choice...i turn my brood barn lights on in the evening at dark...and turn them off in the morning...24/7 is a good idea

8. Likes Dayuhan13 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This will be my first year setting my lights in December. I have a small electric heater for the cock house. I have always let Mother Nature rule on my chicken yard. After the horrible year I had this year. I made up my mind. I read a ton of the post on this thread. I will set lights at 2am and shut off at 5.

10. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The lowest temperature I get here in MX is also 15°F, do you think they can handle that or do I still need to put them inside?

I could use the cockhouse's flypens but then I also want to start putting some cocks through the keep.

Post Thanks / Like

i wouldn't put no 24 hour lights on my birds.... you wanna copy the same hours as a natural breeding time.... I use lights every season and have good hatch rates....say your area gets dark at 5 pm lights should be set on a timer to come on at 430 pm and lights out by 930 pm and then back on again at 5 am and off at 7 am.... give plenty of lay pellets and make sure there outta molt don't rush your hen into breeding if there not done with the molt.... mid nov my lights go up hens start laying by dec and will sit in dec hatch in Jan and outta all the bride I breed this season the early ones are the best ones good luck guys and reamber keep it simple this is not rocket science....

13. Likes Thunderbirds, KevinG, Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I put my pens together around a week before Christmas, lights on at 4am, off an hr after sunrise. Took about 2-3 weeks to get em laying good. Start hatching late January thru mid March is the goal for me, still have a few hatching into early April usually. I like them to roost with sunset so I don't use lights in evenings but I know some guys do with good results. Best of luck to everyone this season!

15. Thanks macraess thanked for this post
    Likes Thunderbirds, TopNotchfarms, KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No advantage at all hatching early. You can ruin your hens.
    My friend raised early last year been showing beautiful pictures of his early stags. He called me last week they are dropping tail feathers starting to moult. A lot of bad things can happen but your not getting ahead by hatching early.

17. Likes RHman1026, regulargrey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all my brood pens set with lights and on a timer to go off at 4am and stay lit until 8am once the sun is up. I very rarely get any chicks in Dec but if i do its really late. I would never leave lights on them at all times because your throwing their inner clock off by doing this. Jan-mar is the best time for chicks for me. It's too hot in South GA to hatch any off in June and most of the time the ones in April and may just don't seem to be as good as the ones from jan-mar