Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many lines do you raise?

Post Thanks / Like

How many lines do you raise?

How many bloodlines do you raise and what kind?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many lines do you raise?

i would have no more then 3 or 4 to keep sh1t toghter and not mix alot of bloods

Post Thanks / Like

How many do u have and what kind?

Thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, i would love to have several so i could experiment more, and not have the boring reds and greys like most people. I hate going to another persons farms and all they raise is reds and greys.... I have noticed that there are less people breeding doms, blues, blacks, and spangles. I have a friend that has 50 lines/breeds and maintains them well. His father and granpa started them and maintained them, until he was able to...

Post Thanks / Like

Bluefacehatch,sandyhatch,kelso,murphy,greys,highro llerbrownredsandylh

Post Thanks / Like

my best advice is to keep it simple because if you try to breed to many it gets hard especially if your just a backyard breeder like me! My brother and I are partners and we have a sweater line, two hatch lines, two kelso lines, three roundhead lines, and a radio line. Now to be able to breed all these lines pure your producing alot of biddies and then you gotta add the crosses your making and sometimes you go away from concentrating on lines crosses that perform well to try new crosses....
    Our lines include
    blackwater possum sweater
    Gerrard hatch
    Leiper hatch
    Lacy roundhead
    Jim Clem roundhead
    Jimmy East roundhead
    Cecil Davis kelso
    Cardinal Club kelso
    Roy Brady Radio

Post Thanks / Like

I raise several lines just so i can make more crosses, and i like to keep 2 or 3 brood stocks for each line..
    2 strains of our blue legged hatches (dark and light hackle)
    Our Strain of green legged hatches (light hackle)
    Miner and mountain blues
    Brownreds
    white Doms
    Greys
    Leipers
    2 types of hatch leipers
    lacy roundheads
    grey blues
    hatch greys

Post Thanks / Like

For me I like to keep them few to keep them "solid". And I also make sure each of my battle crosses carry the Hi Action Hatch blood.

Post Thanks / Like

Kozura Fowl 3-Families,trying out a grey family so far look promising

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah forgot my muggs and i have one whitekelso/warhorse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CARl0S View Post
    Personally, i would love to have several so i could experiment more, and not have the boring reds and greys like most people. I hate going to another persons farms and all they raise is reds and greys.... I have noticed that there are less people breeding doms, blues, blacks, and spangles. I have a friend that has 50 lines/breeds and maintains them well. His father and granpa started them and maintained them, until he was able to...
    Well in our backyard now a days , reds and greys are the minorities. My cording area ,pens and brooders are filled with pumpkins and whites. My personal favorites are Blacks, i'm restarting them, i think i'm about 2 years away before i can have them share some land with the pumpkins and whites. I thank my good friend for lending me some of his wine reds... I get my off colors to familiarize themselves with the dominant color in the business

Post Thanks / Like

the number of lines you breed should depend on how many fowl you want to raise. so if you had 3 lines and had to have two sides to each family and had to have (at least) 10 stags per side of family (for decent selection)that would be 60 stags a year. now you could rotate the years per breed. rh one year, kelso the next etc etc. i would say all you really need is two families that nick. im in the process of selecting my two out off asil, murphy, roundhead, and lieper. even though i think all the families are good i know that one of them combination of crosses is going to do way better than the rest. so why raise your second best? plus im no big timer, i just love my fowl and raising them.

Post Thanks / Like

in my observation to those bigtime well known famous breeders they maintain only some very good bloodlines that taste their flavor in terms of uniformity, Quality, & Winning Lines of their Few bloodlines.For me I think 4 to 5 to 6 bloodlines is enough to maintain such as Sweater, Kelso, Hatch, WhiteHackle,Roudhead,Lemon - you can Outcross to any of the mentioned bloodlines either by 2 or 3 way crosses.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few Lines at my place,

Red Claret
    White Claret
    Allan Roundhead
    Albany
    Leipers
    Kelso
    Pennys
    McLeans
    Express Hatch
    Black Mcreas
    Hugh Norman RH
    Hamlin Asils

All these lines except the Hamlin asil I have fight straight bred ( I will fight a straight bred Hamlin in Jan/feb 2012) all the lines cross with each for great 2 way and 3 way Battlecrosses.

Cheers
    Last edited by Matt Dunne; June 3rd, 2011 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

velcros
    lancey dela torre fowl
    roger roberts
    charles greer
    huron fowl
    longleaf
    cigar clarets
    rtorres blackmcrae
    2 families of grey

Post Thanks / Like

reds:
    sweaters (bruce,dink,carol,barleta)
    butchers (moritz, brassbacks(local))
    kelso (jj,dink,cardinal)
    blueface (mclean)
    roundheads (lacy,hugh norman)
    greys:
    flarry eyed greys
    melsims
    regular greys( larry romero)
    off colors:
    pumpkins(gold)
    irish pile
    domes
    melsims blacks

good recording is the name of the game all this effort is for the love of the game ha ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for sharing everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jon2 View Post
    reds:
    sweaters (bruce,dink,carol,barleta)
    butchers (moritz, brassbacks(local))
    kelso (jj,dink,cardinal)
    blueface (mclean)
    roundheads (lacy,hugh norman)
    greys:
    flarry eyed greys
    melsims
    regular greys( larry romero)
    off colors:
    pumpkins(gold)
    irish pyle
    domes
    melsims blacks

good recording is the name of the game all this effort is for the love of the game ha ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gcardinal03 View Post
    my best advice is to keep it simple because if you try to breed to many it gets hard especially if your just a backyard breeder like me! My brother and I are partners and we have a sweater line, two hatch lines, two kelso lines, three roundhead lines, and a radio line. Now to be able to breed all these lines pure your producing alot of biddies and then you gotta add the crosses your making and sometimes you go away from concentrating on lines crosses that perform well to try new crosses....
    Our lines include
    blackwater possum sweater
    Gerrard hatch
    Leiper hatch
    Lacy roundhead
    Jim Clem roundhead
    Jimmy East roundhead
    Cecil Davis kelso
    Cardinal Club kelso
    Roy Brady Radio
    You are maintaining a lot of these pure lines in your place and you're just calling yourself a backyard breeder? Yaiiks!!! OH common, man... you are over qualified to be called just like that. Two pure lines are even hard for a so called backyard breeder to maintain their seed stock and fighting qualities. That's why when Mr. Kenny Troiano called himself just a backyard breeder and he didn't sell even a feather of his bird I immediately believe in him coz he has only one strains in his yard...the Col. Givens Hatch.

Just imagined we have to maintained several broodpens in order to maintained the quality of the pures we have that is to avoid inbred depressions, and another sets of broodpens to produce battle crosses. How many brood-pens was that...well your fingers are not enough to count...I'm sure for that.

We are just a backyard breeder. We just crossed them whatever suit our taste. Some of our chickens here "looks like" an Asil grade McLeans cock (5X winner), 2 Brownreds hens, Ormoc Golds, Greys, Kelso-Blueface, and many other lines of which I really don't know what bloodlines they are and we just blend them together like we're using a blender for making tasty shakes in summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I just began my breeding program, I decided not to breed reds, I have.
    Black, Brown and Blue Hennies
    Greys
    Blacks
    Buliks
    Whites.

Post Thanks / Like

Law Grey
    Harold Brown Grey
    Mclean Hatch
    Ruble Hatch

Looking to add some black fowl next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeper View Post
    I just began my breeding program, I decided not to breed reds, I have.
    Black, Brown and Blue Hennies
    Greys
    Blacks
    Buliks
    Whites.
    So you're the type of guy that was affected by a chickens color. NO offense, but lots of cockers do. hehe...and many loves the black breasted reds chickens.

Anyway. As I have mentioned above, I do have lots of fighting chickens here that I couldn't figure out what breds are they, only some of them, but still not really sure... only then that I can compare them w/ the breds that I actually saw. Fighting performances are what I am looking for. Whatever bred they are. Expensive or not, bought or gift, even native chickens...for whatever reason it came to my yard. But if ever I have a choice... I am only planning to bred one or two pure strains of fowl, to avoid confusions... no more no less. (I'm not really good in math, breeding many pures requires more mathematics than art). It could be the Roundhead (not sure yet w/c one of the Lacy or Boston) and the super Golden Sweater (coz they are an all around fighter, an upgraded version of Kelso fighting bird). That is aside from the many other "unknown" strains and crosses I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Im a beginner and this is my 3rd year raisen my own birds...i made a decision with the help of a friend to only breed one type of birds..i Breed regular greys only...i use the hens for crossing...i breed different cocks over the hens....kelso, sweater,and some hatch....its so much easier to breed like this..it took me while to find the bottom bird i was looking for...i wanted gameness and power and possible some cut..i think i found it and time will tell...so now all i do is look for the top bird..cutting and ability and brains....its easier when ur beginning to keep it simple...at least its been easy for me...Plus it allows you to buy better top birds when ur foundation is only one breed...thats just how im doing it...very knew to this...but i have a mentor who doesnt tell me but trys to guide me down the path of less trouble and mistakes..

Post Thanks / Like

right now i have an established line of Hatch and a line of Pennys Im working with and an established line of Butcher. I would like a good grey blood to cross some with but think about trying a lot of crosses . Still trying to decide on one more.

Post Thanks / Like

I got Murphys, asils, muffs, hatch, doms, blues and some black blood.

I am debating on maybe sliming down to just my blues,asils and Murphys.

The doms are same as the JBL doms I took them on a trade for some muffs. My hatch and muffs are the oldest lines I have. They are solid fowl that are rugged. Who knows I might change my mind and keep them all just a pain in ass to keep them all separate when you only raise a handful of roosters each year.

Post Thanks / Like

kelso - bobby white @ cecil davis hatch - bates and col givins and brunner roundheads thats enough familiys for me to keep pure and i make enough crosses out of them

Post Thanks / Like

Being new its difficult to keep up with doing one family of fowl right..plus it takes extra space to keep some pure line breed birds for just back up sake...just my though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Texasfinefowl View Post
    Im a beginner and this is my 3rd year raisen my own birds...i made a decision with the help of a friend to only breed one type of birds..i Breed regular greys only...i use the hens for crossing...i breed different cocks over the hens....kelso, sweater,and some hatch....its so much easier to breed like this..it took me while to find the bottom bird i was looking for...i wanted gameness and power and possible some cut..i think i found it and time will tell...so now all i do is look for the top bird..cutting and ability and brains....its easier when ur beginning to keep it simple...at least its been easy for me...Plus it allows you to buy better top birds when ur foundation is only one breed...thats just how im doing it...very knew to this...but i have a mentor who doesnt tell me but trys to guide me down the path of less trouble and mistakes..
    So your hen is now a prostitute... just kidding.
    I think one breeder who advocates of breeding only one strain is Tan Bark? He said that in order to maintain a high quality of standards a breeder should only focus of developing one strains of gamefowl so that he can easily keep a standard and improved them easily year after year. Coz to know "everything" about a line takes many yrs and if a breeder spend his lifetime breeding many strains it is hard for him to go to the next upper level of standards.

Frank Shy is a little bit different, he could even be an anti-pure coz rather than being interested in the name of the strains he is more interested in the cutting abilities of his gamefowls...whatever breed they are. Means the individual chickens are more important to him. He also said, make your hen as a pivot and your cock a hub in your breeding.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL bill gates...i bought a trio and 3 extra hens.....i used the 3 extra hens to make cross ....i single mated the trio to get started...so yes im pimping out my grey hens....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the feedback fellas