Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: texas ranger

Post Thanks / Like

texas ranger

we are interested on this bloodline. please if somebody is maintaining this one, we some information (plummage color, etc.) your inpputs are very much appreciated. thank you and good day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: texas ranger

the best i can remember they are like a brown red some black like a sid.i saw an ad in the gamecock ill see if i can find it and let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

texas ranger hatch.... they come both dark in color and brownred good station... i acquired them for refresh blood for my tombstones due to they were made with texas ranger hatch... so i bought a trio off a man in ca who got them originally from gus furruth(spelling) he had had them for a while. well the trio i received was nice the only problem i had with them were they might have been inbreed to much due to they were very skittish so i got rid of them....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

yea that guy you are talking about had an ad in the gamecock for years.gus fristoff i think was his name.

Post Thanks / Like

Chester I have been looking for some myself...a cock more than anything i still have one hen left. I only know of one man that still had them but he is very sick and im not sure he still dose. He did not raise any last year i know that for sure...so if i run across something ill let you know. Cigar was those Texas Rangers crossed with hatch... Or just pure Texas Rangers... coming from Gus i would think they were prob the pure...ones.

Post Thanks / Like

guys, thank you for your inputs. we hope we could find somebody who will gladly share his precious chickens with us. you all have a nice day and btw, HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO EVERY DAD OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

No prob Chester...if i can get some and raise some up ill see if i can help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

You might ask OldAl about the Texas rangers.. He is on this site.. He seems honest enough to me..

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have any all i have is one that is half shuffler and I am breeding back to shuffler if i like em.You could try game rooster.com a couple people on there have them.Or do a search on Frank Stansberry .Every one I know that has them are trying to get some raised this year because there stock got low.This goes for four different people.I was quiet interested in them last year is how I found out who had them.
    Last edited by OldAl; June 15th, 2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Wanted too

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be the same prob i have ran into also...finding someone who has some to let go of right now. I been think of just geting a good black cock of a different blood to go with her...and just go that route. Rangers were basically i believe Rude Warhorse and the Black Allen Round head. So maybe find a good Warhorse or a black Round Head and go that way.

Post Thanks / Like

chester the man was from ca- mark rodwodski(spelling) he got them directly from gus and had them for over 20 years when i bought the trio it has been a while back in 90's.... they were texar ranger if i remember right gus called them texas ranger hatch however i'm getting old and my memory is fading.... cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Since I've had the Clarets & Greys for a long time, I've often thought it would be cool as hell to have the Texas Rangers as well... wanting a good Black family from my beginning in this sport played a part in this too. I don't think they exist any more, some say they have them, but I doubt that... I never found any that I felt were authentic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    Since I've had the Clarets & Greys for a long time, I've often thought it would be cool as hell to have the Texas Rangers as well... wanting a good Black family from my beginning in this sport played a part in this too. I don't think they exist any more, some say they have them, but I doubt that... I never found any that I felt were authentic.
    I agree with Slip, I visited Gus in Austin in the mid 70's. He was an old gentleman at the twilight of his years. He pretty much made his living from his gamefowl by marketing them. It had made his living for years. At that time this is what he told me, take it or leave it....the Blacks, I have now are Rangers, Witch Doctors, and Hatch cross; he said Chaparral Club was doing real good with them....I say if you got them after the sixties, you got his "New" Black that were sold as Witch Doctors, or Rangers.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some authentic.However they are not readily available,and if I was given the honor of raising these there may be terms involved.So I would recommend Shuffler,or Mug.These are just as nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Frank Stansberry got his from Gus Frithiof in the early 70's, now when I ordered my Rangers from Frank the first was a cock that looked like he had an asil infusion, and dirty yellow legged, pea combed, dirty red color to him, with that said he was the best dang bird I had ever got my hands on, so I ordered another ranger from Frank, this one looked like a very dark hatch cock, with black circle around his eyes, this cock also was a excellent bird, so I decided to order one from him that looked like the rangers was supposed to , so I asked for a black red straight combed stag, so me and my buddy actually ordered 3 of these and they looked like the real deal, but was worthless dumb and slow

Now the best Texas Ranger referance I can give you is Jeff Clark, he has got some of the original looking stuff, and they look like they supposed to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhammerFarm View Post
    Frank Stansberry got his from Gus Frithiof in the early 70's, now when I ordered my Rangers from Frank the first was a cock that looked like he had an asil infusion, and dirty yellow legged, pea combed, dirty red color to him, with that said he was the best dang bird I had ever got my hands on, so I ordered another ranger from Frank, this one looked like a very dark hatch cock, with black circle around his eyes, this cock also was a excellent bird, so I decided to order one from him that looked like the rangers was supposed to , so I asked for a black red straight combed stag, so me and my buddy actually ordered 3 of these and they looked like the real deal, but was worthless dumb and slow

Now the best Texas Ranger referance I can give you is Jeff Clark, he has got some of the original looking stuff, and they look like they supposed to
    And he has'nt bred any thing into them either.There are some in Texas also.
    Last edited by OldAl; June 16th, 2011 at 06:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

just wondering what is so special about Texas Ranger?
    Can you share why?

Post Thanks / Like

Well the history of them and there win percentage was outrageous, for as many that was fought in mains vs win percentage it was right behind the witchdoctors, and the ranger blood went into the witchdocter make up later on, Frank Stansberry won copperstate several times using them, but I think something has been breed in his or his breeding propped out some of the hatch blood that was used

Ol Al, Clarks Rangers from last time we talked he had some that had Gus Frithiof hatch infusion and had them pure without the infusion, his look like they should, Straight combs, black and black reds, the hens are solid black or little straw on the necks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jam671 View Post
    just wondering what is so special about Texas Ranger?
    Can you share why?
    It's an old solid breed that is either gone or nearly gone, humans want and fantasize about what they can't have. If there were only a couple yards left of say...YL Hatch then a lot of people would dream of having them and pay big money when they found them.

Post Thanks / Like

dan you know that last dark hen i got has a 1/4 of that first cock you got and the torres mcrae stags that i have out of here haveit to a 1/8 in them , they are real nice should come see em some time , they got that ol cocks head on em , and legs , very nice , but it is the last of the ranger blood round here , , i think rocky still has a few hens bred out the same way from teh ones i sent him ,

Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy who speaks with Jeff Clark on a regular basis... all he ever mentioned was the black & white Rampuri's & some kind of white chicken... I'll have him inquire the next time I talk to him....

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a picture of "Semco" Mr. Madigin's foundation cock. I know it has been published before...If I remember he was a small bone , tight feathered Blackred, with a wicked look head...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    I have a buddy who speaks with Jeff Clark on a regular basis... all he ever mentioned was the black & white Rampuri's & some kind of white chicken... I'll have him inquire the next time I talk to him....
    well he does have them slip, I talk to him quiet a bit myself he has helped me out alot over the years, he does have them rangers just don't know how much he has, he has a few other things as well he just don't say much about it

Post Thanks / Like

well he does have them slip, I talk to him quiet a bit myself he has helped me out alot over the years, he does have them rangers just don't know how much he has, he has a few other things as well he just don't say much about it
    I never doubted ya... I have never spoken to Jeff but my bud does a lot... I figured I'd have my bud get the low-down on em... all they ever talk about usually is monkeys lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody got any pics of texas ranger?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of "Semco" Mr. Madigin's foundation cock. I know it has been published before...If I remember he was a small bone , tight feathered Blackred, with a wicked look head...
    I should have 1 of him somewhere... I believe his head was shaved in the pic... But he was a wicked looking feller!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I only know of one old man that still has the original Texas Ranges...He got them from his Uncle and father who worked for Madigin i believe walking cocks. Its the blood i always used in the past. I know he did not raise anything last year...but im hoping he has this year. I did have some pics of my old rangers ill see if i can did them up...also.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know a fella or two who go through the same guy.He is in Texas right and didnt get any raised last year.Well good luck Chester.I would give you his name but last I talked to him he didnt have any and said it would be a while and in order for me to get his info I would have to go through some one else.If you lok on gamerooster.com image gallery I have a pic of a hen there that came from Texas and is said to be a ranger so at least you know what they look like.
    Last edited by OldAl; June 16th, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes he is from a small town here in Texas...There are a couple of different ones here that i have found that said they have Rangers. This man lives in small town West Texas. If its the same one its prob his brother in law as he keeps all the same blood. Ill try to call him tomorrow and see what he says. He has been real sick fighting cancer so its been hard to reach him.

Post Thanks / Like

The Rangers were made up of Rood Brown Red and Allen Roundhead. The Roods were bred by Felix G. Rood of Florence Ga. They were basicly Warhorse, the John Stone Irish Gilders, but some were pea-combed so they contained other bloodlines.