Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: history of Law greys

Albert woods

history of Law greys

I recently acquired a Law grey hen that's green legged. Most I've had in the past were yellow legged. Does anyone know if they ever come green legged

CHICKENHAWKER

History

Hey there, I don't really know , I recently aquired some Law Grey,
    and my hen has white legs and is straight combed and my cock has yellow legs and is pea combed , the first man swore that laws only come white legged and the second said they come either way . I'd say your gonna have to call Frank Myers of Three Rivers Game Farm , the number is325)655-0390 Evenings and Weekends and325)655-0050 Monday-Friday 8-5 ,he would know!!:rbounce:

3. Likes turbo_harpoon liked this post
    Albert woods

history of Law greys

Thanks for the reply Chickenhawker. I have been unable to find the history on Law Greys on the computer, but did awhile back and I think I remember something about about some green legs in the early breeding. I guess it might depend on who wrote the history. In the past all Law greys I've owned and all I've seen were yellow legged, straight comb and what alot people call buttermilk in color my hen is all that except for leg color. Actually her legs are more of a yellowish green. I suspect she might have a little touch of hatch in her blood. If all goes well I'll see what kind stags she produces.Surf the game fowl sites and you'll see Law greys that are blue legged and some with pea combs.

XxGary_BlairxX
    they are suppost to come green and yellow legged

Albert woods
    thanks Gary guess I'll raise a few off that Green legged Lae Grey.

William Branum
    My partner has been raising a family of Law Greys for the last 37 years. He only gets yellow legs and straight combs. The cocks are solid white across the back. The hens will come both dark and light color. It has been told that the Madigan Clarets and Madigan Greys are the same blood. E.W. Law bought all of Madigans fowl when he sold out, so it seems obvious that the Law Greys would carry alot of Madigan Grey. The Regular greys come green legged and straight comb. The family I have are solid white across the back and I have never got a pea-comb. It has been told to me that the Blueface Hatch and Regular grey is the same blood. Don't carve this info in stone because I wasn't there when they was made. That is just what I have heard for the last 30 years here in the Southeast from very well known cockers.

8. Thanks turbo_harpoon, Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Albert woods

history of Law greys

Thanks for the info. I agree the Law greys should come yellow legged and straight combs. The males should have no red feathers if pure. However if we could go back in time we would probably be shocked to see what our pure breeds really contain. Color conformity is an indication of a breed being pure or near pure. I had a family of spangled white hackles once I bred the ones that showed the most white to each other in just a few years I had them coming solid white . If you want to see a picture of them look in February 1982 issue of The Feathered Warrior.

10. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    edmundo
    i was able to get from the "tulsa" group a pair of law greys and theirs came straight combed but green legged. mr. sturm told my partner that theirs came all the way from e.w law himself and his grandpa. although a lot of the law greys come yellow legged, they concentrated only on the green legged side.

12. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Yep...

Law greys are GL, from my limited experience...

And they come frost backed. Those are the the "E.W. Law" greys that I have encountered.

Was he a district judge?

Cheers!

Albert woods

History of Law greys

Thanks every one for the input. So many different opinions makes it interesting. If the good Lord is willing I'm going to raise a few off my green legged hen. I have a Frost grey cock he's pea comb with white legs and I have an Ibelle grey hen she has white legs with straight comb. Maybe some one can give me their opinion of what these should look like.

Albert woods

History of Law greys

Thanks every one for the input. So many different opinions makes it interesting. If the good Lord is willing I'm going to raise a few off my green legged hen. I have a Frost grey cock he's pea comb with white legs and I have an Ibelle grey hen she has white legs with straight comb. Maybe some one can give me their opinion of what these should look like.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a trio of the Laws from the late Sam Yurk about five years ago. He stated to have gotten them direct. They were all Straight combed and yellow legged. However, it is know that there was some green legged greys, in particular the Chocolate Greys that also came from Law.

You just never know these days, anything could have been bred into them along the way that caused changes in feather or leg colors. As long as they can get the job done, who cares what they look like or what people want to call them.

17. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes jemm65, Smokin RazorZ liked this post
    Albert woods

History of Law Greys

Yep, that's right, but part of the fun for me is to get them to look the way I want them to look or think they should look. I raise game fowl for fun certainly not for profit. Gamefowl are just like peanuts to me never met one I didn't like , but some alot more than others.

boknoy

law grey

so how do your law greys fight?

should be the same....

Albert woods

How do they fight?

I'm not too sure what your are referring to their cutting ability, games, aggresiveness etc. They have it. Got another question does any one know any history on the Mule Train greys and the Ibelle greys?

Post Thanks / Like

tid bit of history

LAW GREYS - The E.W. Law Greys are a cross of Madigin Perfection Grey and Texas Rangers. Some of the hens come solid black and some come Wheaton color.

from Johnson's History of Game Strains

22. Thanks jemm65 thanked for this post
    Likes jemm65 liked this post
    Albert woods

history of law greys

Thanks, I had a copy of that book but I gave it to a guy for his collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: history of Law greys

this is my law grey acquired from james wrright aka desert fox

Post Thanks / Like

Longscore Law
    E W Law to Fred Cleveland to Frank Harvey and Jr Timms
    They were bred from a perfection grey cock over claret hens.
    ( probably contained more claret than peoples full clarets these days. - Jr. Timms )
    I know Mr. Frank as well as Mr. Timms, Mr. Timms raised one stag last year that had one green leg one yellow leg, I have yet to raise anything but yellow legged yellow billed fowl out of mine all hens are light buttermilk buff with very little grey in their hackles.
    Mr. Frank has not had a green leg law for more than ten years but he use to get one now and then. Mr. Frank is the breeder and has been since the 50's these are his words and who better to know his fowl than him.

26. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Law was a limited partner to John Madigan. He had access to many of Madigans fowl since they fought many mains and tournaments together. Law crossed Albanys', Hatch, Texas rangers, some of his own Clippers (CLaret/Albany) he put some McNerney Grey blood he fell in love with into the Madigan Grey Claret blood. The Green Legged Greys we see are the Madigan Regular Greys and the Chocolate greys that Law made. The one thing to remember is that nearly all the blood Law had was mainly from John Madigan with a few exceptions of fowl he got from O'Connell and Hatch. Now there were other crosses but they were discarded for one reason or another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton
    Longscore Law
    E W Law to Fred Cleveland to Frank Harvey and Jr Timms
    They were bred from a perfection grey cock over claret hens.
    ( probably contained more claret than peoples full clarets these days. - Jr. Timms )
    I know Mr. Frank as well as Mr. Timms, Mr. Timms raised one stag last year that had one green leg one yellow leg, I have yet to raise anything but yellow legged yellow billed fowl out of mine all hens are light buttermilk buff with very little grey in their hackles.
    Mr. Frank has not had a green leg law for more than ten years but he use to get one now and then. Mr. Frank is the breeder and has been since the 50's these are his words and who better to know his fowl than him.
    ...Yes it was Mr.Cleveland that turned the greenlegged Law greys into yellow leg greys and he did it with Kelso/Clarets..And yes John Madigan and E.W.Law partnered occassionaly in mains,but Mr.Law did'nt inherit any of Col.Madigan's fowl as stated earlier,it was Walter Kelso that inherited them and he thought the Madigan fowl were worthless and disposed of them..E.W.Law bought Sanderford Hatch's fowl when he quit the game on the recomendations of Heini Mathesius and they(J.D.Perry and Mr.Law) soon realized those fowl were worthless too..

elgranmemo

some time ago i got my own law greys but before i buy first i went true history so i can get the close to the original, there are a variety of articules and they all agree that the original laws are yellow legged straight comb, but before E. W. Law set his strain of laws he used to sale other type of greys, some green legs and people who got those green lags called them laws but they are not.. becouse he sold those before he did his line of Laws that first was white leg and after that hi infused some albany to them and is the way hi kept them, and from there they started to be yellow leg with black spurs and some white spots in the chest and white streamers, thats what i know from reading history of them. mine are Sam Yurk and Ed Gober blood lines.. R.I.P BOTH OF THEM...

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic of Mr. E.W. Law holding one of his Greys that I scanned out of an old Gamecock magazine... the cock is definatly straight combed... is brass backed... and has light legs, can't tell from the pic if white or yellow... but sho nuff not green.
    http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...dImage-4-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Law had the Madigan Grey "Clarets" and the Perfection Greys when he was involved with John Madigan. Madigan dint like the idea of Law selling his fowl. When Madigan passed away he left his fowl to Walter Kelso and his partner in Texas "Dan Japhet". Tom Murphy was given a yard when Kelso went to Canada to get the Madigan fowl and Kelso left Murphy a yard of Clarets. But the Original Law Greys came predominatley Yellow legged. The Green legged Law greys were nothing more then Madigans Regular Greys....There was a history of Laws, Cookes and JD Perry's record books discribing the breeding of the Law fowl at Lawridge Plantation in the Gamecock many years ago. Ive read it many times over and over. Also Mac White got hold of copies of the records and has submitted them to Grit and Steel for folks reading. Plus another article was written by folks who were associated with Law and they laid out how the Law fowl were bred even before Law partnered up with Cooke. If you ever get a chance to read these articles you will see an eye opener. For one thing in the records Mr. Law called the Liepers "Liepers Roundheads". And the green legged hatch were described as "Hatch's Green Leggs". Since the majority of the Hatch Fowl were yellow legged.
    Last edited by irishcutt; February 29th, 2008 at 08:46 PM.

32. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    sureshot71

Cool Re: history of Law greys

In our part of the world the Law greys come yellow legged and straight combed.They are shown here alot in the gaff and do fairley well.

bigfoot732

http://ramillc.multiply.com/photos/album/9#56

here is a picture of our pair of law greys. we got them as a young pair from mr peter uy of antipolo.

is this tha typical color for both male and female laws?

Post Thanks / Like

The Law Greys are 100% Straight comb and Yellow legged. These were sent last year by Eddie Walls of Kentucky. These ones came originally from the Cleveland family who got them from E.W. Law himself...They are like peas in a pod...

Law Grey BC
    http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...eLawGreyBC.jpg

Law Grey BH
    http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...eyBroodhen.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by super fly
    The Law Greys are 100% Straight comb and Yellow legged. These were sent last year by Eddie Walls of Kentucky. These ones came originally from the Cleveland family who got them from E.W. Law himself...They are like peas in a pod...

Those look like the real deal to me... just like Cottons too... exactly how I'd want a Law Grey to look!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur
    Those look like the real deal to me... just like Cottons too... exactly how I'd want a Law Grey to look!
    Thanks Slip! Eddie told me these Greys will help any family they are blended to. I have bred them to Kelsos and Leipers to give them more speed and station which I feel is their only weakness. When it comes to smarts, timing and cutting, they are up there with the best of them...

Post Thanks / Like

irish and 1hand, keep posting as you are able to. i like your stories...