Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StraightComb Lacey

Post Thanks / Like

StraightComb Lacey

Anyone have one or ever raised a straight combed Lacey Roundhead ? I've been told you will have a "throwback" pop up sometimes ?? Just curious to everyones thouhts on this esp from you genetic GooRoo's ..... Thanks !!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: StraightComb Lacey

I have been raising lacey and bruner for thirty-five years and never seen one pure cock
    come straight comb yet.

Post Thanks / Like

couldn't wait to see those straight comb lacy's

Post Thanks / Like

Norman sold rebels ,= whitehackles /lacy cross and they were very good ,but certainly not full lacy's ,and not a throw back its just a good battle cross.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Oscars yrs ago when Harold come to pick up a lacy cock he had let Oscar borrow to breed. This cock was strait comb with firerie red eyes. Other than the strait comb he was a typical looking lacy. My understandig is that judge Lacy breed a butcher cock at one time to his roundheads.

C G

Post Thanks / Like

HISTORY OF THE LACY ROUNDHEAD

LACY ROUNDHEADS BRED BY THE ORIGINATOR

Judge Ernest Lacy of Jasper, Alabama was the originator of the Lacy Roundhead. In 1911, Judge Ernest Lacy started to breed gamefowls of different strains but finally fell in love with the Roundheads for being simply the best of all the stocks which he had.

The making of an excellent bloodline, which has been adored by many breeders and cockers to this day, did not come easily, for it took Judge Ernest Lacy years before he perfected and created his own strain—The Lacy Roundhead.

Sometime in 1915, Judge Ernest Lacy acquired a Hope Roundhead Cock which is a 5.14 lbs., white legged, pea comb, black-breasted red, above medium stationed cock out of a White Legged Cock with a small amount of “Red Quill blood” from Chas Hope of Aberdeen Mississippi over some Roundhead Hens from Griffin Bros. of Aberdeen, Mississipi, which Judge E. W. Long loaned him. Subsequently. in 1916, Judge Ernest Lacy bought a Shelton Roundhead hen, pea combed, yellow legged, red eyed, medium stationed, had white feathers all over its body, but not enough to be called a spangle color from Ms. Burnell Shelton of Mississippi for US$7.50. Furthermore, in the same year, Will Gunter and Judge Ernest Lacy acquired eggs from Ms. Shelton, which were set and produced only two stags (pea combed black breasted reds, with red eyes and white legs Shelton Roundhead with a dash of Red Quill)—one went to Gunter and the other was kept by Judge Ernest Lacy.

7. Thanks EPG5 Backyard thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the spring of 1916, Judge Ernest Lacy bred the Hope Roundhead Cock over the Shelton Roundhead Hen which produced 12 stags and 12 pullets. However, the pullets were reduced into 5 (1/2 Hope Roundhead x Shelton Roundhead). In 1917, in order to avoid inbreeding, Judge Ernest Lacy bred the White Legged Roundhead-Red Quill Stag which came from the eggs that he and Gunter got from Shelton, over the 5 pullets yielding to excellent, high class fighting and desperately game offsprings ( Shelton Roundhead-Red Quill x Hope Roundhead (w/ Red Quill)- Shelton Roundhead). Parenthetically, this yard was in the handle of John Barton of Dullin, who lived 4 miles southwest of Jasper, Alabama.

Post Thanks / Like

In 1918, Judge Ernest Lacy reacquired from Will Gunter the Shelton Roundhead-Red Quill Cock which is one of the cocks that were produced from the eggs they got from Ms. Shelton—the brother of the stag which was bred to the 5 pullets. Now, this rooster was bred to its nieces which were the pullets ( Shelton Roundhead-Red Quill x Hope Roundhead (w/ Red Quill)- Shelton Roundhead) which John Barton raised. This yard ( Shelton Roundhead-Red Quill x Hope-Shelton Roundhead) was now in the care of Bob Burton. Offsprings from this mating were described as “extra good.” The stags from this yard won several times until they reach 2 years old. On the other hand, some of the pullets from this yard were bred to a cock (Hervy Roundhead with Grists’ blood) which Judge Ernest Lacy acquired from Mr. Geo H. Davis, of Jasper, Alabama, resulting to Shelton Roundhead x Harvey Roundhead. Parenthetically, George H. Davis is the father of Carl Davis—the most successful breeder of the Lacy Roundheads which made the bloodline popular. In order to alleviate the problem of inbreeding depression, the stag from this mating was bred to the John Barton yard. Parenthetically, sometime in 1920, all the hens ( Shelton Roundhead-Red Quill x Hope-Shelton Roundhead) of the Bob Burton yard which were bred to the Harvey Roundhead from Mr. Davis were taken by Mr. James Oakley. In 1921, Judge Ernest Lacy secured a cock from Ira Kimbel which came from Mr. Hugh Buckingham of Memphis that was bred to the pullets ( Shelton Roundhead x Harvey Roundhead) from the Bob Burton yard. This mating created the “WHITE LEGGED” family of Judge Ernest Lacy.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am not mistaken (sometimes I am due to the fact that I am human lol) Gary Gilliam used some claret blood to freshen up his roundheads. This could possibly cause a throwback of a straight comb. I believe that he bred it to 15/16ths roundhead and 1/16 claret so I doubt a throwback would be common. I also saw a video on youtube where tonio romulo mentioned something about straight combed roundheads. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

The pure lacy roundheads on occassion will throw a st8 comb. You can get a st8 comb from two peacombs. Carl Davis one time gave Mac White a pure lacy roundhead cock that was st8 comb. Mac asked him what it was and Mr. Davis told him he is as pure a Lacy as you can find. And one of the best as you asked for. I know Mr. George Woods would get a st8 comb from his family of Lacy's. PLus a good friend of mine who raises Pure Lacy roundheads gets a st8 comb on rare ocassion.

Post Thanks / Like

i get straight combs from my carl davis and from the woods blood

roundhead man

ive been breeding Ray Alexander roundheads and i have produced two cocks with straight comb and one hen

Post Thanks / Like

wow interesting...maybe i would love to own a st8 comb lacy roundhead thats if anyone has 1 for sale...lmk thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they will come straight, pea and walnut comb. Yellow legged,white legged and every now and then a blue legged hen. Ant no throback... Mr Wood and Norman were very good friends and traded fowl as long as Mr. Norman lived here. Mr. Wood had his typical line, the pea headed,light or red topped black breasted tight feathered, white legged fowl everyone thinks of. With that said he also had several lines that he was always trying to improve. So if yers ant one of the typicals hes just as pure. The man had a masters degree, and kept immaculate records, plus a daily diary. YFIS

Post Thanks / Like

pictures or videos please of straight comb lacy's..........

were they successful in fighting straight bred or crossed?

Post Thanks / Like

George Woods infused his Lacy with Albany-Claret. He also gave Carl Davis a Lacy which was a 3/4 lacy 1/4 Albany-Claret cock which was the foundation blood of the Carl Davis R/H.
    For me the SC, was due to the Claret blood infusion.

Post Thanks / Like

they will throw a straight comb... its the butcher blood that was added into them....

believe it or not.. doesn't make it not true

Post Thanks / Like

i bred last season pc lacy rh, i got 2 pullets and 3 stags,one of the stags came out sc.

Post Thanks / Like

My Lacys (Manziel) also throw straight combs and they always would seem to be better than the pcomb ones, deeper cutters at least.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Deal ! thanks for everyones insight ! I have a good friend who is real good with history and strains of about every breed of Gamefowl but just wanted to see what alot of you guys on here thought/knew about this. I really appreciate it !!!!!
    FYI- i have raised a young stag thats SC and never knew ANY RH's came SC. He does however have one crooked toe( end joint middle toe on rt leg ) from Incubator. THANKS AGAIN !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

a very good friend gifted me with a beautiful straight comb lacy roundhead in 2008. on the first breeding season, i mated this with a possum sweater. the off-springs gave me good W's and championship. they are really deadly cutter, elusive, cautious so to say....

her F1 offsprings - all full brothers

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZaaJ6kdi28"]YouTube - ‪OREVON 3stag Derby CHAMPION‬‏[/ame]

one of her F2 offsprings

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxU3U1Xxgdw"]YouTube - ‪Sweater Roundhead F2's in TAGBA.flv‬‏[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

I get some straight combs out of my Hugh Norman Lacy's.... it doesn't bother me in the least... I have a bud who culls all of his, won't even give em a chance... or did... he lost em due to................

Post Thanks / Like

one year i got a str8 comb and a yellow leg pea comb spangle from my lacy i think it was from whitehackle but i dont know and nor do i care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Shuffle View Post
    they will throw a straight comb... its the butcher blood that was added into them....

believe it or not.. doesn't make it not true
    Who put butcher blood in them ???

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how long it took for the original foundation line of the roundheads after they got off the boat to start throwing straight combs. I bet it took quite a few generations and probably never threw a SC in the UK or Ireland.
    If I were looking for roundheads, I'd want them from a internationally competitive farm who says they never get a SC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by delano77 View Post
    I wonder how long it took for the original foundation line of the roundheads after they got off the boat to start throwing straight combs. I bet it took quite a few generations and probably never threw a SC in the UK or Ireland.
    If I were looking for roundheads, I'd want them from a internationally competitive farm who says they never get a SC.
    I wouldn't cull a Roundhead just because it threw a SC once in a blue moon. Your right it does come from American infusion at some point long ago. I would highly doubt any lines are identical to what they were when those old RH's came off the boats. Doesn't make them an inferior fowl. Just my two cents.....

Post Thanks / Like

The Cowan/Brunner roundheads have a load of st8 comb blood in thier makeup! I read a letter from Willis Holding to a man who raised Brunners, and in the letter Willis told that the Brunner/Cowans were 1/2 allen roundhead, 1/4 mahoney gull and 1/4 lowman white hackle!! In his history of making the Cowans/brunners, H.H.Cowan even says he added Gull and another line to the Allens to make his family of roundheads. So if you close breed any line of peacomb fowl and they have had st8 comb blood added some where down the line then it's very, very posible it will appear sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like

I get SC from my Toby Collins Lacys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaime1 View Post
    I get SC from my Toby Collins Lacys
    sir i think toby collins holds boston roundhead not lacy round head..the last time we talked in spring brook kentucky at the pit...way back 2005......

Post Thanks / Like

Raul , I live about 30 minutes away from where Toby did in Mcdonough Ga. he purchased his lacey s from cecil davis (no kin to carl davis just friends), you will get a straight come pullet from his on a rare occasion as he added hatch blood to them but bred it out for seven years before he would call it pure again. I have had his laceys for 17 years now and have gotten 2 straight combed. Last year I got my first real spangle pullet but I have never added anything to them and I have been line breeding this side.Do you know how he marked his pure ones?