Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parawakan our native asils

Post Thanks / Like

Post Parawakan our native asils

Asils also known as malays, belong to the oriental type of fowls,not many of us here in the Philippines know that we have our own version of the asil fowl here in our country,and it can be found in Palawan and they are popularly called "Parawakan".This fowl originally came from Malaysia and were introduced here in our country by our merchant muslim brothers,those found in Jolo are simply called "Jolo or Jolo ano fowl" and those fowls found in Palawan are known as "Parawakan" the latter are the most popular for they were one of those oriental breeds that the late Monching Mitra used to produce his own signature breed "Mitra fowls".In Palawan this fowls are both raised for fighting and poultry, they come in different colors,and weigh from 3 to 5 kilos they are'nt far different from their ancestor,the Malaysian Asil.Parawakans are fought in local nakedheel fights called "Tampur" the bout would sometimes last up to 5 long hours the one that survives that long gruelling fight emerges the winner.According to local Palawenos the Parawakans are accurate single sroke cutters they usually target their opponent's head with precision.When crossed with the Texas fowl,they are called "Paratex" Parawakan+Texas the ideal blood combination should be reduced to 1/4 or 1/8 Parawakan strain.These fowls are easy to raise because they have good resistance to fowl disease,gentle to handle,and very affordable, they are sold in public markets per kilo the last time i went to Palawan was two years ago,and they are sold at 90 per kilo,im speaking here of live chickens not dressed one.I was able to purchased 2 stags and 2 hens for only 860 pesos,out of those stocks i have produced 8 deadly winner fowls,and came to the conclusion that "being cheap does not mean inferior per se" tangkilikin and sariling atin!

Gallos Locos

Thumbs up

ParaTex70, interesting post.

bukol
    great post!!!!!
    as they say buy filipino.....my father has been working on his version of the pangasinan style.the story of his fowl starts from back since 1994 when i just started sending eggs back home to my dad.my dad had no use for incubators so he went to the barrios and asked around if anyone had any hens for sale that were already setting.my father bought several hens from this old man.there was this one particular hen from the group that stood out.i guess you could call her a dominant hen because she would beat up every hen my dad had.including to this day she still dominates our imported bloodline hens.my dad was curious in experimenting in crossing her with our roundhead cock.well the first batch 1/2roundhead 1/2 native has had 50/50 win percentage 2 out of 4.my dad will be testing the second batch which is 3/4 roundhead and 1/4 native.there are 6 stags so we'll see this coming fighting season.they don't have a standard color because 2 are red 1 is orange 3 are spangled 2 are white and the other 2 are black with red streaks.my dad likes to call them texas killers.he.he.he.
    bukol

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Very interesting post PARATEX and Bukol. I remember when I was a kid watching a
    weekly fight in our local Pit. I noticed this old man with a black rooster in the matching area trying to get a match for his bird. Almost majority of the people are trying to avoid him. I keep wondering why. I found out that the reason they’re kind of hesitant to fight him because sa Kahig pa lang ay matatakot ka na. Kung pumagaspas ang pakpak ay lipad ang alikabok at parang nawalis and baligid, pati sombrero ay liliparin sa lakas. Kaya kina katakutan. Out of my curiosity,I asked the old man if that is what they called Texas. He told me that his blackbird was a birthday gift from Bulinao Pangasinan. I watched his first fight against a Bulik Tagalog. This black Bulinao just keep on flying with no direction. The only reason he won the fight was, he hit the Bulik in the head momentarily lost consciousness and head for exit door. Anyway, he breed him to a Pullet with Texas blood and the stags are awesome. Lalong kinakakatakutan. I am not sure if this black Bolinao still exist in the Philipines. I heard they roost on top of a very-very tall Large tress. I am interested about the history of this bird, if this is a native or an imported fowl. Can I get some help from anybody ? Thanks..

Cheers,

------------------
    Sonny

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Interesting story ParaTex, all along from the story I've heard before the cross that niche for Mitra is the North Indian Asil (Rajah Murgh) and the Texas..so it's the Parawakan cross pala..

Keep em game and fighting

Galapong

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Sundowner:
    Very interesting post PARATEX and Bukol. I remember when I was a kid watching a
    weekly fight in our local Pit. I noticed this old man with a black rooster in the matching area trying to get a match for his bird. Almost majority of the people are trying to avoid him. I keep wondering why. I found out that the reason they’re kind of hesitant to fight him because sa Kahig pa lang ay matatakot ka na. Kung pumagaspas ang pakpak ay lipad ang alikabok at parang nawalis and baligid, pati sombrero ay liliparin sa lakas. Kaya kina katakutan. Out of my curiosity,I asked the old man if that is what they called Texas. He told me that his blackbird was a birthday gift from Bulinao Pangasinan. I watched his first fight against a Bulik Tagalog. This black Bulinao just keep on flying with no direction. The only reason he won the fight was, he hit the Bulik in the head momentarily lost consciousness and head for exit door. Anyway, he breed him to a Pullet with Texas blood and the stags are awesome. Lalong kinakakatakutan. I am not sure if this black Bolinao still exist in the Philipines. I heard they roost on top of a very-very tall Large tress. I am interested about the history of this bird, if this is a native or an imported fowl. Can I get some help from anybody ? Thanks..

Cheers,

Have you heard about the Dingo dogs and Brumby horses of Ausralia? well these animals roam wild in the wilderness of Australia,but the ancestors of these animals used to be domesticated one,set free in the wild and eventually multiplied, and became wild again.The history of the Bolinao fowl of Bolinao Pangasinan,have similar existence with the abovementioned animals from Austalia.When i personally went to Bolinao Pangasinan 10 yrs ago to searched for this type of fowl,i was told by several elders of that island about the origin of the Bolinao fowl,according to them the ancestors of this fowl are the American fowl or the Texas,which were introduced in the island when American fowls came to our shores,some owners of the texas fowl particularly those living in upland places or forested areas let their fowl roam freely and eventually went to the wild to join the wild Red Jungle fowls of that island and out of the union of these two different type of fowl,came the "Bolinao bird" this fowl are known to be high flyer fowls which they probably inherited from their ancestor the Labuyo,they originally come in red color and their hacles have streaks of white spots in the end,straight comb,low station,and stocky built they closely look like the Cuban fowls,whose ancestors came also from the Red jungle fowl.The late Monching Mitra Used the Bolinao fowls because of their high flying ability,he used this to come up with the "Anito strain" which he experimented together with Kip Moore in the late 50's.

MattDunne

Smile

Hi
    Yes its true about the brumby's and Dingo's here in Australia. The Dingo originaly came from Asia with traders ,the Dingo is similar to the Native dog in Tailand. The Brumby is still a wild horse they used to be rounded up and were used by the Famous light horse regements in ww1. There are also wild cammels here that were released during expiditions into the Aussie outback,these cammels are also rounded up and the best are sold to the Arab nations as the bloodstock is pure and through the laws of nature only the best have suvived.
    Just abit of Aussie news.
    Cheers
    Matt

TonyDel

Originally posted by ParaTex70:
    The late Monching Mitra Used the Bolinao fowls because of their high flying ability,he used this to come up with the "Anito strain" which he experimented together with Kip Moore in the late 50's.
    The late Speaker Mitra used many oriental types of fowl locally to create a strain that is "afraid" of getting hurt. But he used not only one but numerous oriental strains locally and from the US (Boles fowl). His chickens were not oriental per se but were actually American fowls with oriental grades or infusions. The trait he wanted from the orientals was the brainy "afraid of getting hit" style. He maintained Paeng Lemons, Lacson Greys and Ray Alexanders.

More about the Mitra fowl on Tony Hidalgo's book.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

In Pangasinan, my retirement place...hehehe, the Bolinao's are "feared" by the texas owners...siempre, nasisira kasi ang laro ng teksas dito. Kaya kung meron kang dalang pure Bolinao eh baka Bolinao din ang makalaban mo. Ang tutuo eh madalang na akong makakita ng ganitong manok sa sabungan na pinupuntahan ko duon...Pangasinan Coliseum, Mangaldan, Dagupan, Binmaley, San Jacinto, atbp.

Kidd

Oplod

Prophet,

mind you- that's already below the belt you.

spanish fly

Thumbs up

I'm getting a trio of parawakan this weekend from the southern parts of Palawan. The stag has not yet won but has already killed 1 imported mclean cock of my friend... tinamaan sa ulo ng tahid na matulis... sayang ang manok na imported...

This is my first time to be "serious" about this breed but I'm really interested in finding how far I can go with this particular strain given the level of competition in the pits today... hehehe tingnan na lang natin...

esjleaf

Paratex70

I'll be adding some photos of my Jolo X gray and Jolo X YLH in the photo album section next week. maybe you can check them out next and lets exchange views then.

keep 'em game.

EbunTexas

Question Where can i buy in Palawan?

Paratex70, my brod will be going to palawan next month, where can i buy such fowl? i need the specific location, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Interesting posts...I remember my Ninong in Leyte owned a Half Parawakan/Texas that went on to win 11 fights in derbys and hack fights in his area. That was the first and last parawakan he owned. He was never able to get any offspring out of the guy..
    If any one knows where to get a real Parawakan I'd like to get in touch with you. I'd like to give it to my ninong as a gift. I'll be in the country in May..

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

hello paratex!

I am a big fan of native fowls too! but they hard to come by in manila even in the wet market. it's hard to find a compact bodied up right fighter anymore. my experience with natives(jolo from iloilo and pasay katays) a while back was they were high flying speed types who will only bill hold the back side of the opponent and will not face their opponent up front only the back. I guess a lot of us are missing them now.

banyog1023

can you post pics of orientals?

interesting post paratex.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Post ParaTex Orientals, Philippines

...........Goldie 12/04/01
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here in cebu we have two kinds of native fowl. One we call "The Bisaya" this birds are mostly salto or dodgers, But if you really want the intelligent birds we have the Balulang, this birds are like the mitras you know the ones that don't want to get hit, dont want to mix it up and has a tremendous respect for the slasher blade. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the parawakan was originally use for naked heel fighting but the balulangs were already used by our ancestors as a slasher fowl. I once bought three balulang crosses from a farmer who sold some vegetebles during mondays and saturdays in the market. He said that he cross his balulang cock to a blue face hens that was given to him by a nephew who work in a gamecock farm. One of the cocks won twice and quit the during last fight while his opponent was dying, the other one won 6 times and died in the last becoz of his injuries, the last one was brought to bohol and won 12 times with 2 draws becoz he just watch the his opponent bleed until 10 min. elaps. This cock was name "Hodiyo Herante" the texas killer by the local sabungeros there in bohol.

filamforks

Oriental cross

I just talked to my younger brother in PI and he was telling me that he won as sole champion in a ten cock "Karambola" two weeks ago. He used a Jolo X Texas cock who did not mind the rest going at it when corn was thrown at midring. According to him, his JoloTexas cock just walked slowly towards him and just scratch the ground beside him while "nagmanumanu ang iba". On the 2nd round/pitting, there were only four cocks left. They brought them again at midring and his cock kick the first challenger away(tumakbo daw), with one kick. He killed the 2nd challenger who was already wounded from the first manumanu easily, likewise the third challenger. His JoloTex was unscracthed. He was suppose to bring home 9 "talunans" but ended up only with two. Friends, he said were quicker in retrieving them "talunans". On top of that, he also won a big hack with one straight blow on the ground after the "Karambola".
    I very proud of him cause he is just an amateur "tadero". He never new how to tie a knife until I brought home some of my FilAm Fork Knives and taught him how to tie it a couple or three years ago. He is an Engineer and he acknowledged the ease in tying my FilAm knife. Now he want some more knives, grrrrr....
    It's the reverse now, cause I have been asking him to send me traditional fork knives before.
    filamforks

Post Thanks / Like
    I was prodded and challenged to bet a grand for 10 texas multiple power shufflers against a single Jolo one after the other on naked heel that the Jolo will quit. I lost my grand when I bet on the 10 fast texas power shufflers. The Jolo's head was bloodied all over but was still standing after the 10th texas died of exhaustion.

filamforks

Jolo

Pinolim,
    You need a hammer to break the skull of this chicken gladiator(Jolo). :angry: According to my cousin who plays naked heel with some Aetas in the deep mountain forest somewhere in Luzon, the Jolo chickens have very thick skull as compared to the Texas. In naked heel combat, they can be subdued only by another chicken gladiator of the same or better caliber.

filamforks

lapuzboy
    jolo is the name, pauwak is the game, thats how we called it in iloilo, i missed that game , its awesome power to power punchulo ang target, we breed them asils

Post Thanks / Like

Post Ebuntexas

Sorry i can't spare you with those 5years old pure parawakan fowl that i personally raised. They will be used either in nakedheel fighting in Palawan or in upcoming "KARAMBOLA" fights in Manila, these fights are what my farm boys wait most, that is why i can't afford to fall short with their expectation.

The fowl that you personally chose, is of good lineage it is the greatgrandson of "Samson" a winner in international derby in Araneta.I can't also sell more than 3 fowls at a time to a single buyer only,i'am not really into selling fowls i only do when i'am in the mood of treating my farm workers, proceeds from such sale are usually only given to them, thanks have a nice day.

talahib747
    very interesting post! i'll try to look for that breed of orientals in aranque market if i visit there in manila. i hope i could buy some. i like orientals because of there strong resistance to disease and hoping that it would pass on to their offsprings if i breed them to my fowls. A good health will add more gameness to our battlecocks.

EbunTexas

Unhappy ParaTex70

LIFE IS A STAGE, THERE IS ALWAYS AN ENTRANCE..AND EXIT.

GOODBYE KALUGURAN KUNG CABALEN.

Soliven
    To: Paratex

Great post, I wish, I can acquire some of your paratex Lines :blush:

Anak ng Damulag

Thumbs up parawakan

Sino ba taga Palawan dito, na bumibiyahe ng Manila? makapag pabili sana ng parawakan kung ok lang

nemmmo
    akala ko ba ang parawakan ay ITIM!!

ANAK NG DAMULAG, ng mawala si Ka Manok, ang aking idol, ikaw naman ang pumalit. bilib na bilib ako sa mga nakakatawa mong mga response na punong puno ng katutuhanan gaya ni Ka Manok. kaya mula ngayon tagahanga mo na rin ako.

taga Mauban yata si Ka Manok e. di kaya natabunan na yon ng landslide?? biglang nawala ng parang bula e.

spica
    tanong lang po ano bang mga breed ng native na manok ang pang steel game na? sino ang mga sellers ng ganito na kilala na and what are the regular prise of this chickens