Thread: hen tie chords?

Post Thanks / Like

hen tie chords?

i have never fooled with puttin a hen on chord have always left them in pens with doodlers so they could get in and out put hen had to stay in pen but would like to tie some hens out and let them raise on chords and shut them up at night but what type of hitch do i need to do this

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hen tie chords?

Quote Originally Posted by hitmonkey!!! View Post
    i have never fooled with puttin a hen on chord have always left them in pens with doodlers so they could get in and out put hen had to stay in pen but would like to tie some hens out and let them raise on chords and shut them up at night but what type of hitch do i need to do this

I have put hens on tie cords before and I just used the regular nylon hitch. It seem to work pretty good.

3. Likes southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

whats the reason to tie them in cord?

Post Thanks / Like

Single mate like four of them if the pen is big enough this way you dont have to move the rooster.

Post Thanks / Like

OK thats why you have to cord them.. I havent tried that yet... I usually do it on the roosters.. Thanks for the advice.. Im from Phils and been doing this breeding.. New things always comes and another changes to be done. I usually limit the stag to 60 in order to take a look at them closer.. Any advice you can give me on the vaccination as they grow up to be come a good stags and cocks in the future? I have a problem to coryza.. Even the vaccine was given some of the youngsters still suffers same symptoms as of coryza... any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy03 View Post
    Single mate like four of them if the pen is big enough this way you dont have to move the rooster.

Post Thanks / Like

Been 8 yr still waiting to see single mating several hens in a larger pen on chords, is this a good way to breed several hens to one cock without having to move him all the time??? Pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hitmonkey!!! View Post
    Been 8 yr still waiting to see single mating several hens in a larger pen on chords, is this a good way to breed several hens to one cock without having to move him all the time??? Pics?
    I tried it in a 10x10 pen with a hen in each of 3 corners, I didn’t really like it. I believe it would work well in a longer type pen.

9. Thanks Mossy Dell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    I tried it in a 10x10 pen with a hen in each of 3 corners, I didnít really like it. I believe it would work well in a longer type pen.
    I tossed around maybe a 10 wide by like 50 or 60 long and put a hens in middle on chords with roost and box, sounds like a lot of pen space for such low number of hens but i hate getting cock out of pens to move em all the time,

Post Thanks / Like

Not in middle long ways but a hen on each side ten feet between so i can get 5 on each side

Post Thanks / Like

i tried it once with 2 hens. one stole a couple of chicks from the other and killed the rest. i didn't find it useful for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    i tried it once with 2 hens. one stole a couple of chicks from the other and killed the rest. i didn't find it useful for me
    I was going yo rob the eggs and hatch in bator, i just wanted to keep single mating without moving the cock all the time from hen to hen,

Post Thanks / Like

i think LaBlue has done well using that method maybe he will reply soon on this

Post Thanks / Like

It would work great using a bator. The problem I had when single mating that way was the hens killing each other’s chicks. I used a 20’x40’

Post Thanks / Like

I'm about to make myself some chords for hens\baby stags in a day or two. 1\2" wide nylon, I'll use 3 grommets instead of two, to make sure they don't work themselves loose. 7 foot chords with the PVC swivel in the middle. I make them narrower to go under the spur, cause if you have a spurred hen they always have that needle point and on a stag I don't want that spur turning up or down. To me it seems like a spurred hen is harder on nylon than a cock. .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roostercm View Post
    i think LaBlue has done well using that method maybe he will reply soon on this
    I will! Two years ago i tied 3 hens each on a 3 ft cord. it was tied to the front of a 2' t-p with a back and a 2x6 in the front. The hens all had nice nest and set and hatched. Soon as they did I marked chicks and took hen and chicks out. Put a brick in and out of the 2x6. I had 18 hens all hatched some. Hawks eat most.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    Trap nests ... ..... .... ....
    I think I would like this idea ok, I just split my 10x10s and kick him thru the dividing door ever few days. If I decide to breed one to more than 2 hens, I guess I’d set up other pens for him accordingly and swap him more often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nauvoo View Post
    I think I would like this idea ok, I just split my 10x10s and kick him thru the dividing door ever few days. If I decide to breed one to more than 2 hens, I guess I’d set up other pens for him accordingly and swap him more often.
    I move about 10 cocks to a different hen every couple days. Most cocks have three hens. This year I have more pen mated. One cock three sisters. Have 6 of those. The Hawks will be fat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quapaw Kid View Post
    I made a scarecrow that turns in the wind .. Used a welding helmet for the head. And glued a bunch of those stuffed animal eyes and glitter on it ... Seems to really keep birds at bay . Eagles nest below my house and we got tons of hawks and they stay outta the chicken yard
    I get 25-50 Leghorns, or whatever white colored chickens are cheapest at tractor supply, and turn them loose as hawk decoys. They like the white birds best.
    This year I ended up with a ton of chicken in the fridge, as the dogs kept losses to ONE of the sacrificial chicks. Lol
    Last edited by MinuteMan; January 23rd, 2020 at 07:04 PM.

21. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post