Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About the Gavilan Hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

Gavilan Hatch description ....

"Gavilan Hatch is the combination of Mclean and Blueface hatch...a little strong on the blueface side...that is why they are straight comb...good frontal punchers, one time hitters, medium flyer but game to the core"

How close of a true description does this fit the Gavilan Hatch of today ?.. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gavilan Hatch description ....

I Had The Gavilans A Few Years Back And Never Got A Straight Comb. I Purchased Them Direct From Johnny Stansell. Very Game N Powerful Birds Though

Post Thanks / Like

A good friend of mine breeds the Gavilans and he gets both straight and pea comb but mostly he gets pea comb blue legs

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Gavilan Hatch description ....

depends own the cross if you go more to the mclean side they will come more pea comb which is what i like .got some and they are very good

Post Thanks / Like

When things were legal, how well did they fair in the S/K when shown as bred ( pure/straight with no crosses) .. and if you did cross them, what best complimented them in style and class also for the S/K ?.. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gavilan Hatch for sk

Back about ten years ago, one of my good friends had a gavilan hatch win 6x in the short knife.Good multiple shuffle, game till the end. Have heard alot of bad about Johnnie Stansell since then,but his experience was definitely good with them. Too bad they are long gone! Crosses never did very well for him, typical for most asil. Some good some bad, gotta have alot of luck and hard work.
    Last edited by 5knuckleshuffle; January 23rd, 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats to bad... 5KS , what are some of the better S/K bloodlines/breeders you have come to respect today ?

Post Thanks / Like

I Also Showed Most Of Them Pure In The Sk And Did Real Good With Them. I Have A Mclean/gavilan Cock That Is A 5 Time Winner. I Also Showed Some Gavilan/dink Kelsos And Were Good All Around But Could Not Cut At All

Post Thanks / Like

Our Hatch are the Gavilan's from Buck Stansell years ago & they will come straight combed once in a while.

I do not have any pic's a straight comb but go to my web-site & you will see what our old time Gavilans look like.

www.coltsecuritygamefarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think that was your ticket colt, when Buck used them my older friends said he was always a tough entry, and since them days I have heard as well some people are not liken what they got from Johnny and some say they do, but everyone I know got there stock from Buck still has them or they ain't got a feather one on there yard right now

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Clem , did the bloodline composition sound about right ?.. Mclean x Blueface ?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a letter to me from Buck Stansell in which he described his Hatch fowl. He said he had two families, one straight comb and one pea comb. He recommended getting a family of both and crossing them for battle fowl.

I got the straight combs- somewhat coarse looking roosters, extremely fast, powerful and with awesome shuffle. The kind of roosters that you could throw a new hen in every hour all day long and he would top em without hesitation-unlimited sexual vigor. Also the kind you could drop on the ground and tease him with another cock and he would chase you all over the farm with no other focus than to get that rooster, absolutely could not be distracted. This family would also throw an occasional spangle.

In the late 80's and mid 90's I purchased pea comb brood cocks from Johnny @300.00 each. He seemed like a good guy and I still don't think he intentionally did me wrong. Nevertheless, both those cocks eventually got the ax ($600.00) as did there offspring. They were simply mentally unstable.

Post Thanks / Like

my cuzen had a bunch of these gavlian htchs and they was junk he gottom from the mainland some where and from a big breeder who i no like say his name but they was junk and he went up there and hand pic them and was the guys best stuff but not good for LK down headed and stuiped birds game to the end though i seen one fight with a dog get his guts torn out and when the dog let him go he still got up to bill hold and shuffle

Post Thanks / Like

gavilan hatch

has anyone had them are they good fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: gavilan hatch

the good ones are dead game.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a friend that has some. They are some of the best looking chickens I have seen but he just can't win with them pure. He has had alot better luck crossing them over his Kelso's and Blues.

His McLean line of Hatch has done really well for him pure or crossed. I ended up going with the McLean and Gilmore lines. I have pondered getting a couple of extra hens, a Gavilan and a Col. Givens for some projects next spring and see what kind of crosses I get.

I love me some Hatch birds!

Post Thanks / Like

I got the grey gavilan hatch they do very well crossed. I cross em to lieper

Post Thanks / Like

Origins & Styles Of Gavilan Hatch

Tell me about the Gavilan Hatch lines. What style are they known for? Does anyone know the history of the line and what all was used to make it? Did any of you raise and show them pure? How did they do for you? How would you stack them up against other lines of Hatch like Gilmore, Gerrard, McLean or Col. Givens?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Origins & Styles Of Gavilan Hatch

A friend of mine saw buck stancell fight at sunset in late 70s early 80s, impressed him so much he bought a stag and hen for 1500 . the last year he fought that blood line he said he won 15 out of 17 fights .

Post Thanks / Like

The once I had were from Nene Abello. It had been bred for the Long knife of which I suspect some of his Sweaters have been infuse over the years. It is not as heavy bone as a Gilmore nor as fast a McClean but it can hold its own in the shufflers department. It is quick once it gets started but normally size up its opponent on the release. Watching how the Abello Sweaters spar, I have my suspicions. It is a very good compliment for the Sweaters. It doesn't slow it down as a speed fowl and it offers good lift in aerial combat -and that well regarded follow up kicks shortly after landing on the ground is more than enough to settle any doubts. In short it will not overpower the Sweater style of fighting.

A knwon seller in this site crossed his Gavilans with BB Sweaters which has scored very good in stag derbies. I think Manong Ben goes by San Roque on this site. I lost mine I got from him already a cock and not as a stag in a big derby. I think they are more for stag and bullstags fights. My opinion thus far.
    Last edited by VMT^Carmen; July 9th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The gavilans are not what they used to be. In my opinion todays gavilans bred by Johnny Stancell is not worth a dime. Now the old stuff from Buck if you can get your hands on is as good as gold in my opinion. I have seen them cocks down and out on their backs and hit and ya and kill ya stone dead. Every once in awhile you will get a straight comb or one with some white in it. Those in my opinion are a little better then the standard dark red gavilans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts44903 View Post
    The gavilans are not what they used to be. In my opinion todays gavilans bred by Johnny Stancell is not worth a dime. Now the old stuff from Buck if you can get your hands on is as good as gold in my opinion. I have seen them cocks down and out on their backs and hit and ya and kill ya stone dead. Every once in awhile you will get a straight comb or one with some white in it. Those in my opinion are a little better then the standard dark red gavilans.
    From my personal experience, you are absolutely correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by delano77 View Post
    From my personal experience, you are absolutely correct.
    do you know how the spangle gavilans came to be?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts44903 View Post
    do you know how the spangle gavilans came to be?
    Don't know whats in them to make the spangles but the first cock(straight comb from Buck) I got when bred to his daughters would throw some spangles. Not being a spangle fan, I bred it out. Possibly that was a mistake but I was younger then. Years later at two different times, I purchased pea comb brood cocks from Johnny to infuse. Big, strong, pretty BUT pen wild, molt hackin, untameable manfighters with corresponding questionable gameness.Ended up killing them both and eventually all their offspring. Wasted years with the two new infusions. Nevertheless, I'm back on track with the original untainted blood which I truly love.

Post Thanks / Like

About the Gavilan Hatch.

Does anybody knows anything about the genetic background of the Gavilan Hatch(What blood lines were used in the making other than hatch) ??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: About the Gavilan Hatch.

I think it is a branch off the mcleans. But most hatch was a mclean at some point.

CHAMPION
    Sabong.NET Derby 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chickinman View Post
    Does anybody knows anything about the genetic background of the Gavilan Hatch(What blood lines were used in the making other than hatch) ??
    there was a thread here about gavilan a week ago try to search maybe its on usapang manok tagalog language

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I'll try looking for it. If any body knows more about the subject please, feel free to post. Thank you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by delano77 View Post
    I have a letter to me from Buck Stansell in which he described his Hatch fowl. He said he had two families, one straight comb and one pea comb. He recommended getting a family of both and crossing them for battle fowl.

I got the straight combs- somewhat coarse looking roosters, extremely fast, powerful and with awesome shuffle. The kind of roosters that you could throw a new hen in every hour all day long and he would top em without hesitation-unlimited sexual vigor. Also the kind you could drop on the ground and tease him with another cock and he would chase you all over the farm with no other focus than to get that rooster, absolutely could not be distracted. This family would also throw an occasional spangle.

In the late 80's and mid 90's I purchased pea comb brood cocks from Johnny @300.00 each. He seemed like a good guy and I still don't think he intentionally did me wrong. Nevertheless, both those cocks eventually got the ax ($600.00) as did there offspring. They were simply mentally unstable.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have the dead pile blood of gavilan club.We had it in the 80's.No longer have any and just wondering if anyone has it.