Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best guard dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Best guard dogs?

I have put 2 great Pyrenees male puppies on hold and will be able to pick them up next month.the dad is akc registered and the mother is not,but she is full stock.I found them for 150$ each....I looked for some that was already grown and raised around chickens but I had no luck, do you all think this would be the best breed to guard my fowl? I know since I'm getting them as pups they will not be much use until they get older,but how old will they be before they start being effective?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best guard dogs?

We got our pyrenees about a month ago, he's still a pup but he does let us know when something strange is around the yard. The first week he was here, he let me know a german shepherd was close. We picked up a 5 month old catahoula last week and are pleased with him so far. He's more active than the pyrenees but seems to need a bit more attention. Their are several types of dogs that will make a good chicken dog, you just have to work with them and let them know what their job is. I personally like raising them from pups, that way they know my yard and everything in it. They do take a little more work, but it's worth it to me. $150 is a little high for the mother not being full pyrenees, but if you like them, that's all that matters in the long run, especially if you have no intentions of breeding them later on. Good luck to you on whatever dog you choose, just remember any puppy will need taught what their purpose is, once they figure it out, your yard will be safer. I believe a good dog is better than any fence, pen, or trap.

3. Likes LaBlue, trappersteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Never let your puppy "play" with your chickens, he will try and he needs corrected immediately. They need chew toys, rawhides, bones to keep them occupied. I bought a raccoon chew toy and a few bones and rawhides, they are all scattered in the yard. I have been setting my live trap trying to catch a coon, when I catch one I plan to work my pups all day with him. Just be sure to correct him often, but reward him when he does what he's supposed to.

5. Likes LaBlue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm,,,,

What is the best gamefowl farm guard dog?

Post Thanks / Like

I could name a few but in my opinion there is no "best", it comes down to training them properly. Some good choices are....Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherd, Pit Bull, Catahoula, German Shepherd. There are many more types that will do a fine job, you just want a dog that can destroy any type of varmint that comes close to your yard, so I would stay away from anything smaller than a Pit Bull.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
    I could name a few but in my opinion there is no "best", it comes down to training them properly. Some good choices are....Great Pyrenees, Anatolian Shepherd, Pit Bull, Catahoula, German Shepherd. There are many more types that will do a fine job, you just want a dog that can destroy any type of varmint that comes close to your yard, so I would stay away from anything smaller than a Pit Bull.
    How about a CHOW CHOW? Can a training make him a good gamefowl farm guard dog?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamante View Post
    How about a CHOW CHOW? Can a training make him a good gamefowl farm guard dog?
    I don't see why a chow wouldn't work, just show them the ropes as a pup.

Post Thanks / Like

I raise English Bull Staffs which for me and my needs are excellent guard dogs. I have had them going on 3 years and man are they good with the birds in the yard and everywhere else, they don't let anything near the yard. I bred a litter of pups last year 2010 and gave 2 males and 1 female to a buddy of mine to raise at his ranch to see if they would carry that guard dog temperament from the parents, they were 3 months of age. To make a long story short, in the beginning 2011 first time we caught a coon when the pups were there at the ranch, we brought the trap with the coon inside of it and set it near the kennels where the dogs were. At the moment we let the 2 males out of there kennels they raced straight for the coon and they started mauling the cage, the dogs mouths were so bloody from from biting the coon trap but they never felt any pain though. We grabbed their collars and made them step back a few feet and petted them down and praised them. After several minutes we let them go again with a command, and they went right to it attacking the coon. We opened up the trap for the coon to escape but the pups were too amped up to let that coon escape, needless to say we had to clean up some coon guts later on that night. Was their first time ever to see a coon so we were real relieved about that. Coons shouldn't be a problem any more, just a few weeks ago the dogs mauled up a couple of coyotes that were trying to get in the yard, so thats another problem out the door lol. As for the chickens in the yard, they were born to be with them chickens.
    Last edited by catchfly; August 21st, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

great pyrenese......................

12. Likes Liberty Hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive always had luck with pit bulls
    Yfis
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Best guard dogs?

I vote for the Belgian Malinois and German Shepherd with a proper training.

Post Thanks / Like

i have 4 pyrenese on my yard with 150 roosters and they are doing ther job as for a german shepherd i had one gave 200 for her she got of her chain one day and killed 20 chickens and 5 goats ,she not around any more ?

16. Thanks apache2a thanked for this post
    Likes Liberty Hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKCROW View Post
    i have 4 pyrenese on my yard with 150 roosters and they are doing ther job as for a german shepherd i had one gave 200 for her she got of her chain one day and killed 20 chickens and 5 goats ,she not around any more ?

Well sorry for the loss of livestock, but a chicken dog belongs in the yard with the chickens, not on a chain, in a cage, or in the owners home.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pyrenees are great for fowl I would how ever recommend another breed of dog to got with it for day time protection not that a great Pyrenees will not do their job in the day but most of the time they are nocturnal dogs. And sometimes they are tough on fowl as pups but grow out of it fast.

Post Thanks / Like

The mother is full blooded great pyranees she's just not registered......thank u all for ur experiences....how would u all say to punish the pup if it trys to play with the fowl....whipping or just scolding....we have some shock collars for the hunting dogs but I think that may be a little harsh for a young pup

Post Thanks / Like

without a doubt the great pyr is one of the best guard dog you will find, natural ability and easy to train. I have 3 working for me now and could not have the number of fowl without their protection. I beg to differ on the chow for a good fowl dog. You will find the dogs that make up the livestock guardian dog class of working breeds to be much more suited and easy to train for fowl protection.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Anatolian shepherds?.....what kind of price range are the puppies in? And where could someone find a breeder?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juststarting View Post
    The mother is full blooded great pyranees she's just not registered......thank u all for ur experiences....how would u all say to punish the pup if it trys to play with the fowl....whipping or just scolding....we have some shock collars for the hunting dogs but I think that may be a little harsh for a young pup

My pyrenees pup tried to play with a chicken one time, I was sitting near him and lightly smacked him on the nose and told him no, he hasn't done it since. My catahoula got defensive over a chew toy with a chicken twice in the span of 5 minutes, I whipped him a bit harder than the pyrenees and he also has not repeated this behavior. I sit outside and observe them for at least a couple hours a day though.

23. Thanks Tokio thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anatolian shepherds are very good livestock dogs, i just got a pitbull terrier, hes pretty calm with the fowl. i let him get near a hen with chicks and he hasnt done no harm so far!

Post Thanks / Like

What are the predators that are prevalent in your area? I think you have to consider that when buying the dog of choice. Most of the suggested breeds can eat a lot excpet for great pyrenes i believe. Also if you only have small predators, you could use dogs such as jack russells in your yard. You just have to raise them with your chickens.

Al

26. Likes Liberty Hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if black bears will bother chickens but they are extremely bad in my area,coyotes,foxs,racoons.....and possibly a couple 2 legged pests hopefully not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juststarting View Post
    I don't know if black bears will bother chickens but they are extremely bad in my area,coyotes,foxs,racoons.....and possibly a couple 2 legged pests hopefully not
    Ic. You got big predators there. I think it would be best to have them big dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 pyrennese pups that I will let go for $50 apiece. East Texas, Longview, Tyler area.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been breeding GREAT PYRs for 20 years there isnt a better dog for chickens in my opinion....you cannot buy them chewtoys as they are pups then they will start chewing on anything water hoses feed cups water bowls etc....you cant just turn them loose and expect overnight results it takes 2 years for them to mature out of the puppy stage....your job is to never allow them the chance to play or chaise after any fowl.......you must have a fence as they must know their boundaries..if not they will just roam.....you slowly intoduce them to your corded area or your chick area and never leaving them alone to develop a bad habit....What makes them special is they are like the armed forces....they are the Air force because of hawks and owls they are the Army and marines when it comes to foxes coons coyote opposum NO other dog thats not a livestock Guardian dog will give you all that....I have 5 and they work Day and Night

31. Likes Liberty Hill, bcorey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Pyrenees was two when I got him i had a female that was two when I got her but she killed young chickens so she is gone my male dont kill chickens but he likes to roam off and the night before last a raccoon got in the yard,I have seen him chase hawks out in the field which is a good thing and he never bothers a chicken but he dont mind if the neighbors dog comes in and kills a couple.Tomorrow I am going to look at a hound/German shepard cross that is said to keep even the owls away and chickens sleep on him he is only five months old so we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Pyrenees need to be contained or they will roam and get killed somehow. They are the most introverted breed I have ever seen. Their greatest virtue and most noticeable instinct is to observe, evaluate and act. These dogs, with correct working temperament, will never act impulsively. It is because of that, that they remember things and 10 out of 9, you correct them once and they will never repeat the mistake. Most people will tell you the border collie is the smartest dog on earth because you can train him to do anything, but they are just automatons that you program to do something and will do it everytime like a robot without question. A Pyrenese has real intelligence and free will and will often tell you to go to hell by simply ignoring you if he feels like it. The only problem is that the Pyr is also widely bred as a pet and many many people don't know the real working temperament of the breed and so there are A LOT of dogs that LOOK like GP, but aren't. Great chicken dogs.

34. Thanks Oscar Carranza thanked for this post
    Likes Oscar Carranza, bcorey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if they're the best but I've got a male Pyrenees and a female Anatolian and I've had both since they were pups. Comparing the 2, the Pyrenees is alot more laid back, somewhat passive until there's something to get uptight about. The Anatolian, more high strung, more aggressive, and ready to get busy at a moments notice. They both had they're "puppy phase" with water buckets and hoses, the Anatolian had a problem with weaned biddies. The Pyrenees is alot easier to correct bad behavior, the Anatolian has a lil bit hard harder head. Both are very protective and work well together, if it's not a chicken or accompanied by me, it's not allowed to stay.

Post Thanks / Like

37. Likes don128, Resendiz74, jemm65, irisheyes485 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

pap always used rat terriers they kill coon,s possums,weasels,ferrets,rats.Theives dont like them ether.they will bite u 50 times before u know they r there.u can find them everywhere on top of the pen,s well house ur house them thing,s can climb.i keep 7 here at my place and 5 at the other farm.If the wind blow,s hard they look to see why.small dog,s with a pit bull,s attitude.mountain fist r good to.

39. Likes Skincarver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bstewart View Post
    great pyrenese......................

I love my GP!!!!!!!!!!!!!