Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Best guard dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best guard dogs?

Lol Amen to that...had a rough year last year...2 got out of fence & never returned home then got another Anatolian & he passed at 5 months old...crazy 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 5 Catahoulla cur puppies 2 male and 3 female. Free to a good home. Pick up only as I know nothing about shipping a puppy.

3. Likes gobolts0513, roostercm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like some mighty fine pups you got there ol Blue, the kind make anyone proud to own.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say a good blackmouth, mountain, or leopard cur would be good chicken dogs, I know coon hounds are, if you have away to keep them in with the chickens.

If a man could train an akita to not kill chickens they would be the ultimate chicken dog. I had a bitch out here I could let run loose, she had a kill ring forty feet wide perfect circle, no gaps, solid death. Coons, possums, groundhogs, sparrows, skunks, a fawn, a bobcat, couple coyotes, a fox, several birds varying in size, neighbors house cats, lizards, snakes including copperheads, cottonmouths, black tail rattlers. I know I'm leaving some stuff out. It was creepy as hell. If I had, had some chickens when I had her they would have been in the ring too. She ran loose and if it got in her territory it was dead, and it got placed carefully and precisely in the ring.

She watched my youngest daughter like a hawk, if she got too far from home, you heard one pissed off little girl, and saw the dog tugging her home by her coat or shirt. That dog loved my kids, and I couldn't hardly correct them around her. They're very versitile dogs, and I grew up a hound man, I still have one akita bitch, but shes psycho like her daddy. She's an everything must die dog. She loves my family but everything else must die. There's not much training to a hound, I was not prepared for an akita. I still have no idea how to train one. They do so many things naturally, but the drive to kill in one is stronger than any other breed than I have ever seen.

At six weeks old a pup I had was trying to kill an old rottie. Theyre something else.