Thread: Smoketimes Idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Smoketimes Idea?

For those that read the Gamecock, What did you think about Smoketime's idea in his article titled "The Answer To Our Problem And Solution". Page 46 or the Aug/Sep issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smoketimes Idea?

Young gun will you post the story here please for all of us that dont get the mag to read? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Smoketimes Idea?

Ok i wont go word for word but ill do my best to get the key points. Smoketimes idea to try an legalize our great sport. Once a year we need to get our flocks tested by the department of agriculture costing us $25 and in return we get a certificate stating that we passed. We then take our certificate to the county license office and purchase a breeders license for $50. In return we get our breeders liscense which would look kinda like a credit card or a picture id with name, address and tax number. both the $50 and $25 charges being taxed of course. So to be able to compete at the pits or arens our liscenes will be neccicary to enter the derby. Arena owners will also have to step up and purchase a license to operate under nationwide guidelines. Some of those guidelines being no children under the age of 15. No drugs or alcohol!! No Guns!!! 1 law enforcement officer per 75 people attending the meet as well as one officer from department of agriculture attending to the fowl and viewimg breeders licenses. one fowl of each breeder participating will be tested and certificate of participation will be given before an entry is allowed. Any fowl failing diesese test will be confiscated. After recieving your certificate of participation you get leg bands for only the number of birds entered. As far as the gambling goes there will be no cash trsactions but you must purchase a day pass or ticket. then you take your ticket with a pic 21 or older id to a cashier window where you would exchange it for chips just like in vegas. Anybody caught cash instead of chips will be removed from the premisis with the chips being donated to local or nearist animal control. chips would have arenas name on one side and doller amount on the other. When cashing out cashier will copy the gamblers id and deduct sales tax before returning the balence of all earned winnings. A reciept will be given at to the amount of deducted taxes and total earnings. Taxes will also be taken out of derby winnings. arena owners will be responsible for paying taxes on the daily gambling passes as well. Arena owners, breeders and gamblers can turn in their reciepts at tax time as usaul. Smoketime also goes on to say "If anyone out there can tell me of an animal or fowl that can create a billion doller industry as well as create jobs or assisting in control of disease other than gamecock, please tell us"

I might have missed a couple points as i was skimming and typing but that gives you a general idea. It saoulds good to me but the idea would need an offical to write up the ins and outs to present it! Like i said these are not exact words or my own thought i took them from smoketime's article in the gamecock.....All thoghts and i deas welcome. I just want to be able to compete in the sport i love!

Post Thanks / Like

BlackStealth that is a nice looking grey in your avitar. Law Grey?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks YoungGun! Sounds good. The grey is a Madigan...

Post Thanks / Like

I have no problem with the idea but it still requires the leaglization of fighting and there no mention of how thats going to happen just how the revenue will be controled. So what the angle on getting the fighting part back?
    Yfis
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Butch I'm assuming the proposition of all the taxes and jobs that could benefit from the arenas and disease testing and gambling would help with the legalization. All ideas are welcome to pr ovide a better Plan. In the hands of the right person maybe this will help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackStealth View Post
    Thanks YoungGun! Sounds good. The grey is a Madigan...

Law got his start from Madigin so they are very closely related

Thanks for the input Youngun....good to see others starting to join us down here

Post Thanks / Like

I like it ... Sounds like a good way to keep it controlled ,, now just legalize it :/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    Butch I'm assuming the proposition of all the taxes and jobs that could benefit from the arenas and disease testing and gambling would help with the legalization. All ideas are welcome to pr ovide a better Plan. In the hands of the right person maybe this will help.
    Thats where the problem lyes. They have to fight for tye right for us to harvest our fowl the way we see fit. Its ok for us to take an axe, ring there neck, shoot them etc. So we have to change attitudes on the harvest. The money thing is a good argument and the same one that is giving the pot head movenent steam. Personaly id be willing to give up the gambling and all that extra crap just for the right to fight chickens. I could care less about the money and its not why i do it. Now if i make it doing what i love then so be it but ill do it for free.
    Yfis
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butch93 View Post
    Thats where the problem lyes. They have to fight for tye right for us to harvest our fowl the way we see fit. Its ok for us to take an axe, ring there neck, shoot them etc. So we have to change attitudes on the harvest. The money thing is a good argument and the same one that is giving the pot head movenent steam. Personaly id be willing to give up the gambling and all that extra crap just for the right to fight chickens. I could care less about the money and its not why i do it. Now if i make it doing what i love then so be it but ill do it for free.
    Yfis
    Mark

Butch i agree with you 100 percent....But as far as changing peoples mind about why we harvest our fowl will be the hardest feat of all. We dont do it just for something to gamble about. Well most dont. Its a culture, a heritage and also it WAS a way to provide for your family. The only way to change peoples mind about it is tv! We need someone on our side to film a documentery about the work that goes into it. The TLC 24-7-all year round royal treatment these fowl get to prove themselves. And still that might not do it. Charity derbies for hospitals and other organizations looking for cures and so fourth is what i would love to see. This is only gonny happen one county at a time IMO. I only took 1 law class in high school and was still more worried about pretty girls so we need to find an edjimacated fella on our side willing to start small and go up. I cant even imagine where i would start or how to go about it. But we need to show people were not just savages killing chickens just for money and drugs and beer. no offense but a lot of the brush derbies that get raided where there coke and marijane all over arent exactily helping our cause.
    Last edited by YoungGun; September 22nd, 2011 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Had to reword a couple things.

Post Thanks / Like

There's the problem, i doubt that fighting in the states will ever he leagle again. Every generation people come more removed from the farm and have no idea. As far as the bush fights there will always be an idiot there with dope or alchohol but it should be everyones responsabilty to run those people out. There needs to be pressure put one those dummy to keep that stuff away or stop inviting them. The problem comes down if the host is greedy and want more entries to make a bigger cut then nothing that can be done but stop going and start your own league.
    Yfis
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Smoketimes Idea?

hello fellow cocker,s thank you for your kind words, id be more than glad to put my ideal on paper and draft all the paper work up to help if some one will take it and push the ideal to the top! "sin mr. smokey guthrie" aka smoketime! http://smoketime-gamebird.webs.com join the club!

Post Thanks / Like

" if a chicken can fight everyday to help save your life!, how can you not fight for his life!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good idea to me.as far as a documentary cockfighters the interviews was a great and informative film.

Post Thanks / Like

sound good to me also ,, glad to see someone finaly stepn up to da plate for the gamefowl raisers.an oweners

Post Thanks / Like

here is the new web site on my ideal! http://site13365545521534779260364183091483.webs.com/ if any one has any info after reading the smoketime law please come to my other site and join me and help me save our fowl! at http://smoketime-gamebird.webs.com join both sites please ! we need our rights back! sin smoketime!

Post Thanks / Like

hey smoke,ur first link isn't working buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your idea is basically a good one. However it is kind of puting the cart before the horse. Legalization has to happen first. I know that the gambling thing keeps coming up so Id like to adress that. Social gambling is not illegal in most places. If you bet me that the Yankees will beat the Braves in the series that is nobodys business but ours. The Gambling part is not what most people are opposed to.

People generaly think that Cockfighting is Cruel and barbaric. Getting past that is the major problem. Our distance from an ag. based economy and people living in cities is what makes the biggest barrier.

IF we want it legalized we have to start small in a place we think it can happen. Say maybe one County. Then your idea, or a modified version of it could be implemented as a model for other places to look at.

There are some things I would do like a certain amount of money from the pits would go to local Kids programs to build ball fields or swimming centers , Maybe a Rec hall. If folks take there kids to a Little League game and There is a sign up that says "Madigan Grey Park Build with funds donated by Jackson Game Club". And everyone knew what it was minds would change a little. Some people you will never sway it is that way no matter what.
    I could change a few things but it is a good place to start AFTER its Legal.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds worth it too me i just wont to be able to do what i love. could careless bout the money