Thread: SweaterGreys

Post Thanks / Like

SweaterGreys

what kind of info can you all give me on the sweater greys. what is there style, are they pc or sc, are they all green leg, And what is the make up of them? i have tried searching some info on them but cant find much about them. I would love to get a pair of them just wanna know alil more about them before i drop some green on them lol

Thanks for yalls help

St.Louis Club

Re: SweaterGreys

Well to me they are the best grey fowl in the world. They came from a guy by the last name of Gillman from England he had grey fowl that was known as gillman greys they where a white legged grey.He had one that was part grey and part some sort of pyle. that cock got sent to one of three men in U.S. John Madigan, Hanky Dean , and Dennis Mahoney they bread the cock to a Kerney Brown red hen some of the fowl came dark grey and some came light silver grey and dark legged and I think some came light legged grey. Well they fought through them all and discarded the dark greys because they had no ability. However the Silver greys and light legged ones where very good and I belive Madigin liked the green legged ones and Hankey dean got the light legged ones.
    Well as time went on Sweater Mcginnis went to work for Madigin and long story short Madigin gave him the pick of his fowl towards his death Sweater picked the little green legged greys saying he didnt want the clarets that had to be remade every few years he wanted the little inbreed greys that where game to the core.

St.Louis Club

That is the same grey blood that made up the Blueface Hatch also but thats anouther story. Back to the greys Sweater fought those little greys for years and years his favorite cross being Leiper/Blueface/grey which is what he was handling when he past away at boxwood pit. But I am getting ahead of myself, Sweater met a man Named William T. Green in North Carolina Mr.Green was fighting a small derby and had a little grey of some breeding that I dont know well Sweater asked him why he was trying to save him and Mr.Green said he wanted to see more about him. Well suprised by this Sweater said William dont try to save that rooster come by my house next week and I will give you some real grey fowl. Well Mr.Green who worked for Norris Barnes at the time told Norris this and they just couldnt wait they went right over to Sweaters place and Sweater had two grey cocks and a few hens he told Mr.Green these are the last ones left pure no one else has them he said people think they have them but they dont. He gave Mr.Green a cock and hen that where half brother and sister.

St.Louis Club

That is the history to the best of my memory told to me by my dear friend and hero Mr.William T. Green. The greys are super inbred these days and it really hard to get one over 4.10Ib but I still love them more then ever they are beautiful. Here is a photo of one of my brood cocks. Just so ya know I dont sell any I just keep some for myself to show at a few poultry shows from time to time.

St.Louis Club

oh almost forgot they are 100% green legged and Straight comb dont let anyone tell you any diffrent thats the way they have been for 100 years. They Come this way as in picture also some can come with a little dirty looking grey in there neck and back. Some can even come like the joe redman grey color some people call this chocolate. Hens come silver robin breasted or buff (buttermilk) I have also had them come Barred like a silver redquil or the Joe redman color. I dont claim to know everything about them but we have had them for 30 years. Please maybe more people could share some photos and storys maybe I could learn even more about them or about there creation.
    Last edited by St.Louis Club; September 24th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sir ,
    i believe you cover that very well and accurate .
    Tommy greene

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great story st. louis. That helped out alot and cleared everything up for me. You say you dont sale any of yours? That broodcock is beautiful
    Thanks again for the help

St.Louis Club

Mr.Tommy Green your uncle was my grandfathers best friend in this sport and was my hero. Thank you for your words it means alot when we lost him it was tough he was one of the best.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a trio last yr raised 2 stags nd 2 pullets I really like them so far. The cock won really really fast 4 me he sure can cut. He ship wrecked the other bird in the first buckle with 2in heels. I was impressed so so I'm looking 4ward 2 showin his stags I hope they cut like he does!

Post Thanks / Like

St Louis Club I enjoy listening to your game fowl history. I was wondering if you can tell us about the grey blood that made the Blue Face Hatch. I have a pure Johnny Mitchell Blue Face Hatch that he acquired from Percy Flowers and I'm interested to know the history behind the grey blood that was infused to make the great blood.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been a grey fan myself maybe you all can shed some light i have some reg greys. i am wanting somemore greys do you all know where i can get some sweater greys. i found a guy that had some but he was real high and it sounded to me that he just sold his culls. Thanks for the help guys

Post Thanks / Like

Larry Lingerfelt got some of them from WT Green and I got a pair from him.My Partners dad also got some from WTGreen many years back.I had a picture of the pair on My photos on Sabong but gone when crash will repost them same pic on GR got over 3000 hits. Hens so small makes the cock look big good body but hes mostly feathers.My gracils I do so well with the grey famliy that made them carrys WTGreen Grey blood. I like them make some really good crosses.Real solid foundation fowl.
    Last edited by j007; September 25th, 2011 at 07:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

j007 you got any of them pure for sale or do you just keep them and use them for yourself. I would deff like to see a pic of them either way lol

Post Thanks / Like

I bred my pair this year got about 15-20 stags and pullets hadnt really counted them notice them they stand out in the crowd when I feed. gonna pick best stag put him ove rthe hen and cock over some of the daughters this year.My Partners step dad is getting one of the stags hes still got 2 of his old hens left. Right now I would say got a extra or two but they are still a month away from shutting them up I usually dont count them till then.-Jim I just reposted the pic of my pair from Larry my photo sabong some pic of the Gracils that carry some of the WTGreen Grey blood in them
    Last edited by j007; September 25th, 2011 at 07:31 AM.

St.Louis Club

To tell the truth it would be very hard to tell a history about the blueface hatch becasue Sweater never really told anyone what they where made up of and if anyone says they know they are just guessing or telling a whooper. Mr.Green told me people would ask Sweater all the time of there make up and he said Sweater would tell one guy " you remeber that old gilmore cock and those hatch grey hens." Then he would tell the next guy " You remeber that old warhorse cock and those hatch grey hens" the only thing that would be the same in every story was the hens where half grey and half hatch. So to be completly honest the only people who really knew what they where made up of are gone. If I had to guess maybe Billy Ruble would know somemore about it then me or maybe Tommy Green would know. I do know he had several familys of "blueface" but I think and I am not exsactly sure about this but I think the right nose family was one of the best and I think that is what Norris and Mr.Green got. Maybe Mr.Tommy Green could shed some light on this please.

St.Louis Club

As far as the people looking for Sweaters green legged fowl to buy there are alot of folks that obtained fowl from Mr.Green so it shouldnt be to hard to find some the problem would be finding some that know one tampered with and tryed to "improve". But I know of 4 or 5 people who have them pure and keep them that way I just dont know if they would want there names mentioned on here. I will ask them and find out. I would love to hear more storys about blueface and greys or Sweater or Mr.Green also so keep them comming.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks st. louis. If you find anyone that has some that hasnt been tampered with for sale just let me know i am dieing for some but i dont wanna have to take out a bank loan to get them lol

St.Louis Club

What part of Kentucky do you live in ?Da3791

Post Thanks / Like

I live in east kentucky. St louis

Post Thanks / Like

I know Lonnie Harper sure made a name with them Greys and his Bull Run ( Bates ) Hatch. I know Gene Batia liked them so much, he now feeds them as well.

St.Louis Club

Yes sir Mule Train has won a ton of Shows with them. They got some amazing hatch greys.

Post Thanks / Like

St. Louis Club, thanks for posting this info I had heard this before and it just feels good to know that I have the real deal. As far as I can tell ALL stags/cocks will come straight combed green legged and most all of mine will have white speckles in the breast feathers. As to their weight my cocks will just barely clear 4#s 2oz. All the pullets will come a ligt grey or buttermilk in color. When I breed the grey cock to any red hen they will all come out grey looking, also when I bred them to McRae all stags came out black grey and pullets were black with greyis silverish hackle feathers. Once again thank you for posting that info and good luck with your future breedings.

Post Thanks / Like

Grady Fields knew a little bit about the fowl they had I got to talk to him bout 12+ years ago or so but now hes gone too. I met him at his compound was fall with 40mph winds colder than a well diggers butt didnt stay as long as would have liked.Picked up 2 trios of Hatch and a pair of Polecat Grey he told me him and Sweater got the Polecats from a local man who was doing very well with them at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

dead end game farm is the place to get the blueface or greys thats all he has and its where most of the fowl come from

Post Thanks / Like

what year did you obtain your grays st louis club?

St.Louis Club

Family got them in 1980 I was born into them. But I would say the last hen I brought home was when Mr.Green was feeling poorly Dickie took us out and I got two stags and two pullets back in I want to say 2003 or 2004 one was barred color. Since 1980 we have traded broodfowl with Mr.Green up until around 2004 or 2005.

St.Louis Club

Maybe only up until 2003 or 2004 it was sometime around there was last time I went to see him. If you read Grit and Steel there is a few storys about My family and His we used to always take him some Miner Blues he loved them.

St.Louis Club

When a person sits down and really thinks about his close friends in his life and when all the dust and feathers settle its really easy to just attach there names to the fowl and to name drop to show how we knew profesinals but so many times we forget they have taught us all we know, there are no schools or classes to teach us about our great sport all we have is great men and the fowl that they kept to pass on to us so every once in a while we need to sit back and think about how truely blessed so many of us have been to know these great men. All the miles and all the fowl and good times aside Mr.William T Green was one of the Greatest, Soft spoken , Honest ,Good hearted men I have ever met. What you saw was what you got. There are so many people that dont relize how many types of fowl carry his bloodlines and how much he helped so many of us out. So take a moment and who ever helped you or gave you fowl or taught you a priceless lesson let them know because one day it will be to late and they will be gone. All of us young men need to take a step back and look at these amazing birds and forget about the money and remeber what it was like that first time we saw a Gamecock beat his wings and let go of a thunderus crow and feel those butterflies in our gut and know what this sport is all about.

Post Thanks / Like

Well said St, Louis. I would like to take some time right now and thank my brother Doug McDougal from Ozk Mtn Albanies. He has offered me his home and most importantly a whole life time of knowledge thank you Brother!!! hope to see you soon.

Post Thanks / Like

hello st.louis club, I would sure of loved to have met mr. w.t greene. I have the "coach" sweater greys and they are very nice birds they are exactly how descried in the above, I believe the "coach" got them from "doc ray" and I believe "doc" got them direct from "w.t greene" years ago. i've been looking for some of these w.t greene greys to cross to my "coach" sweater greys and see how the offspring's come out to be. thank you very much for all of this info. if you ever have any pure w.t greene greys for sale s.t louis just let me know. thank you very much for all of this info of these greys i'm sure looking foward on getting some of these pure w.t greene greys one day thanks simental