Thread: Spangled genetics.

Post Thanks / Like

Spangled genetics.

Does any body know anything about the spangled genetics ? I'd like to know if it is resecive or dominant to regular BB red or if it is of an incomplite dominance nature. I reffere here to the speckled tipe of spangling, not the motled tipe, however, I will listen about the motled pattern as well if any body have any information on it.

Peace !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spangled genetics.

I would like to know more on this too

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak about my experiences with the family I have because I am not really a scientific genetics master. In my family of kelso, I would consider it recessive as I get a few spangles each year. I can breed red to red or spangle to spangle and still get the same number of spangles each year. Also when I breed a spangle to a different red family, I wont get any spangles unless I breed at least 3/4 of the kelso, then I may get a few again. I have bred them to another family that will throw an occasional spangle, and I got a few spangles from the 50-50 crosses. All this makes me believe that in my particular family, the spangle color is recessive.

4. Thanks apache2a, chad123 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Springwater. When you breed spangled to spangled, do you have any variation on the amount of spangling like some being more or less spangled ? Does the spangling patern tend to become heavier as you atempt to breed individuals with the more amount of spangling ?

Post Thanks / Like

The actual origin of spangled (white Tipped)feathering in gamefowl is a genetic trait that appears in several different familys and strains in both American and Old English Gamefowl, the actual origin is from Whitehackles. If you really do your homework on the strains of fowl that do come spangled, I guarentee the foundation of that family WILL have Whitehackle blood in its ancestry GUARENTEED..for example What is the Hatch fowls foundation and acestry or the Butchers...Spangled progency in non spangled familys is more than likely a throwback to the Whitehackle ancestry....Well I hope my input can shed a little light on the subject but better yet do what I do when Im in a genetic dilema pick the brain of Kenny Troiano (maximustroy) on this website
    Last edited by thaGamest; September 25th, 2011 at 03:04 AM.

7. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my family of white hackles always *** spangled. my kelso in which my brood pen is a trio i have a red cock a red a spangled hen i bred cock red hen i get 100% red i bred to spangle i get 100% spangled. my yellow leg hatch family i have a splash cock and my hatch is 50 splash 50 red or gray.

Post Thanks / Like

My family of Gracils first year I bred them I got 2 spangles out of about 100 Chicks got 3 next year this year I got some hatched whole clutches of Grey spangles.Only thing I can think of is the family of Greys I used to make them got some albany blood in them from long time back original cock was a grey sport albany that won 3x in one day and then partner got him bred him to a WTGreen Grey hen and line bred them for years till I got a couple from him to cross with my Hamlin asils. The spangles are getting louder colored each year goes by got one about 2/3 white this year. Also while on spangles Got a RedquillxBrassback Albany stag come spangle he looks like a spangled redquill and I got a spangled Burner RH pullet this year but my dog got her and My Hyderbad Asil throwed 4 Whites this year and friend got them from said he hadnt seen any throw white. Hyderbads come all colors in same hatching just first white ones he seen. Must be something in my feed-LOL-not a problem for me as I like spangles and they show same as the rest of the brothers..

Post Thanks / Like

Do the George wood lacys have spangled blood in them? Cause my friend bred a G.W Lacy cock to an Allen roundhead hen and the offsprings are spangled.

Post Thanks / Like

the things is if you breed spangles to spangles and get red then it can't be ressive or dominate it has to be some sort of old ball trait, because GL are ressivive but as long as you breed GL to GL all you can get is green legs, just like straight comb

12. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chickinman View Post
    Thank you Springwater. When you breed spangled to spangled, do you have any variation on the amount of spangling like some being more or less spangled ? Does the spangling patern tend to become heavier as you atempt to breed individuals with the more amount of spangling ?
    Although I have not noticed any change in the amount that come spangled, i have noticed that the ones that do come spangled show more white.

Post Thanks / Like

we get spangles in our cc kelso , when we inbreed them but they always moult out red , even got a white hen once but she was a cull , it is a recessive trait to the color red , ussualy comes out in inbreeding

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OR GALLO View Post
    Do the George wood lacys have spangled blood in them? Cause my friend bred a G.W Lacy cock to an Allen roundhead hen and the offsprings are spangled.
    Back in the mid 1970's I used to see a guy in TN show up with spangled RH and he won alot with them I asked him and he told me was Lacys. My brother had some spangled Lacys in the mid 1980's was spangled they were very game and won high %. I never asked him much about them as we had a little falling out about some broodfowl I loaned him.LOL-Alls good now time heals all wounds.

Post Thanks / Like

I like spangled throwbacks . We had one from Gilliam RH but it got in to it whit another in a pen and died the only spanglend stag ..he could of been a ladies man ..

Post Thanks / Like

interesting note, my linebred hatchets from roger Roberts gave out spangles...one of the top breeder of hatchets in PI said roger had spangles in his yard..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springwater View Post
    I can only speak about my experiences with the family I have because I am not really a scientific genetics master. In my family of kelso, I would consider it recessive as I get a few spangles each year. I can breed red to red or spangle to spangle and still get the same number of spangles each year. Also when I breed a spangle to a different red family, I wont get any spangles unless I breed at least 3/4 of the kelso, then I may get a few again. I have bred them to another family that will throw an occasional spangle, and I got a few spangles from the 50-50 crosses. All this makes me believe that in my particular family, the spangle color is recessive.
    Ive found the same to be true with my spangles

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes if you do a lot of inbreeding with in a family spangles will start to show up and then they can turn more white each year. some people feel it is best to breed back to the red side with in the same family before they start to become more white in color, in order not to inbreed too much.

Post Thanks / Like

my out and out kelso on yellow leg side will not come spangled but will get a white ever once in a while but the man I got them from breeds to white legged side and will get some spangled every year

Post Thanks / Like

The great majority of American game fowl strains, contains a certain amount, of White-hackle blood in them.

Some game historians claim, that the "Original Boston RH's", were Irish pea combed WH's.

yfis

yunke8888

Post Thanks / Like

This year I bred a heavily spangled shamo cock to a wheaten shamo hen and all chicks are spangled. So it seems with this particular line the spangling is dominant.
    OE

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 Boles/Viet. asil brood cocks,1 spangled an one black breasted red with laced britches have produced several spangles.All spangled stags come very loud like Morgan White Hackles.Pullets come with just a few hail stone spots,a lot of hail stone spots an very loud,white body with black and red spots.The loudest offspring have came from breeding the spangled cock over the daughters of the mostly black breasted red cock.2 yrs. ago out of about 25 chicks there were 6 very loud spangles and 4 hail stones.Also getting very loud spangled greys from these hail stone pullets and grey cocks.