Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Sid taylors

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pure black face sid taylor lines

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    i myself find it odd that in the early stages of mr. sid taykors fowl that very few if any came solid black,and as for the spark side i to believe that their was a connection between mr. sparks and mr. gay or spencer, i do no that mr. spencer won the orlando, fl, meet in 19-29 and not for sure, but i think maybe 19-31, but as i stated before, we might never no what for sure went into these sids, with regards, mr. ray christian.
    yes that's right,maybe at the early stages there were few but they were crossed twice at least to black irish hens and at some point the black color started to show up and it was preferred by plenty people as it still happens today.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont want to leave anyone out, so i will mention this, mr. rand cook and mr. chap washburn ruled haver hill for a long time useing the sparks sid blood, a friend of mine who bought clippers from chap said chap told him that the sids were the only fowl on his place that could take heavy inbreeding, chap in the end was crossing the sid over b.r., i seen some of these show myself, great roosters they were. mr. christian.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont want to leave anyone out, so i will mention this, mr. rand cook and mr. chap washburn ruled haver hill for a long time useing the sparks sid blood, a friend of mine who bought clippers from chap said chap told him that the sids were the only fowl on his place that could take heavy inbreeding, chap in the end was crossing the sid over b.r., i seen some of these show myself, great roosters they were. mr. christian.
    do you know about mr.art hefner ,mr.stan profitt and dr.herring lines?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

as a matter of fact i do,mr. art hefner got his sids from a friend of mine, mr. james hurly, now deceased,from hurly, va, james bought art three cocks from orie hunt, and i have no idea where he got the sid females, after he had been dealing with mr. hurly, mr. hurly called art and offered him about twenty sid females, art agreed to meet mr. hurly somewhere around kingsport, tenn, and dr. herring came along for the ride, mr. profitts sids belonged to his dad, after his dad passed mr. profitt received the sids and after adding albany blood into them, they were big cocks, most over six pound, as to dr. herring i let him have his first sid cock in 19-82, a i time winner in the fly, and a beautiful cock, after that dr. herring would come to my place every mem. day weekend, staying from fri. to mon. morning, his last visit was in 2004 or 2005, he got as good as i had over the years, but he also got sid fowl from anyone he heard of haveing sid fowl, and that makes for a bad day, as i had told him many times that all he ever needed was the sid fowl i had let him have., mr. profitt run a pit in whitesville, ky and it was said that was the only place he showed his fowl, just what i heard,i never seen him show at any of the places i showed at, so i cant say for sure.hope this helps. regards, mr. ray christian.

Post Thanks / Like

as a matter of fact i do,mr. art hefner got his sids from a friend of mine, mr. james hurly, now deceased,from hurly, va, james bought art three cocks from orie hunt, and i have no idea where he got the sid females, after he had been dealing with mr. hurly, mr. hurly called art and offered him about twenty sid females, art agreed to meet mr. hurly somewhere around kingsport, tenn, and dr. herring came along for the ride, mr. profitts sids belonged to his dad, after his dad passed mr. profitt received the sids and after adding albany blood into them, they were big cocks, most over six pound, as to dr. herring i let him have his first sid cock in 19-82, a i time winner in the fly, and a beautiful cock, after that dr. herring would come to my place every mem. day weekend, staying from fri. to mon. morning, his last visit was in 2004 or 2005, he got as good as i had over the years, but he also got sid fowl from anyone he heard of haveing sid fowl, and that makes for a bad day, as i had told him many times that all he ever needed was the sid fowl i had let him have., mr. profitt run a pit in whitesville, ky and it was said that was the only place he showed his fowl, just what i heard,i never seen him show at any of the places i showed at, so i cant say for sure.hope this helps. regards, mr. ray christian.
    thank you mr.christian, tell us, do you know the harmony downs' sid taylors and their history?
    Last edited by elgallolatino; February 15th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I worked for Art from 78-84 ,in 1979 Art received 2 trio's and a pair from Mr. Hurly ,he wanted more of the pea head hatch Art got from Sweater .2 of the roosters were black with a red spot on there wing like a red wing black bird ,the other coal black he gave me the pair to breed at my house ,because I would not shut up about the red dot , I had to plant white pines all the way up his drive way to get em,(long drive to ) ..All 3 beautiful roosters none had black face ,but all 5 hens did ,and the stags and pullets stayed that way as long as I had them .lost a few to Fox's and someone took the rest while I was in the hospital .I got a few more over the years from him ,but none could measure up to the first rooster .I now have the best Sid's I ever owned ,but none have a bright red spot ,just an occasional gold color on the wing but most just solid black. love these bird's .Art told me the same thing the sparks had the color on the wing and the one's heavy in the Spencer's blood coal black ...
    Last edited by CALVIN2; February 15th, 2012 at 12:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Art was a good rooster man also gave me Lacy's and Brunner's rh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elgallolatino View Post
    thank you mr.christian, tell us, do you know the harmony downs' sid taylors and their history?
    sorry, but i have no history on the harmony downs sid blood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CALVIN2 View Post
    I worked for Art from 78-84 ,in 1979 Art received 2 trio's and a pair from Mr. Hurly ,he wanted more of the pea head hatch Art got from Sweater .2 of the roosters were black with a red spot on there wing like a red wing black bird ,the other coal black he gave me the pair to breed at my house ,because I would not shut up about the red dot , I had to plant white pines all the way up his drive way to get em,(long drive to ) ..All 3 beautiful roosters none had black face ,but all 5 hens did ,and the stags and pullets stayed that way as long as I had them .lost a few to Fox's and someone took the rest while I was in the hospital .I got a few more over the years from him ,but none could measure up to the first rooster .I now have the best Sid's I ever owned ,but none have a bright red spot ,just an occasional gold color on the wing but most just solid black. love these bird's .Art told me the same thing the sparks had the color on the wing and the one's heavy in the Spencer's blood coal black ...
    thank you mr.calvin you have provided very good information to this thread keep with you contribution.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you mr.christian,i have another question for all, are there peacomb sid taylors?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

thank you mr.christian,i have another question,are there peacomb sid taylors?

Post Thanks / Like

(NO) there are none,but you must take in mind with a family as old as the sid taylor line, depending on who got them and how long they have had them,if someone out there who got them forty or fifty years ago, then they wood carry that persons name, and if they have added peacomb in order to maintain the family, then my answer wood be (YES) there could be some out there, (BUT) if there are then we no they wood carry peacomb blood, (BUT) i have NEVER seen any, i ask mr. hunt why they wood throw a brassback, he said it was a throw back from the (BLACK&TAN) blood that had been added, orie never wood breed a brassback, because he did not want alot of them coming brassback as he would get one from time to time, i had only seen three brassback cocks at his place in all the years i knew him, over the 44 years i have had them i have had about 4 or 5 come that way, but i have never used one in the breeding pen, i have never seen a female come brassback, either at ories or in mine,the last one i had to crop out brassback was about 12 years ago, i used that cock in a full show of brothers at the common wealth gameclub, and that cock was in the 18 sid cocks i let troy dale prater take to sunset, where he went 17 out of 19 with 18 sid cocks, think he doubled one back and lost him, i believe troy told me that george torres and gene batia backed these roosters,, someone has ask me about a danny gibson and his sids, am sorry but i dont no the gentelman.i think that only, mr. shy, mr. gay, and mr.taylor, would be the only men to no the true makeup of this family of blacks. with regards, mr. ray christian

Post Thanks / Like

another thing i would like to have your input on, do you think that mr. mingus sids could be mugs, as they would come red, b.r., blue, white, and candy strip, and black, and i wounder why one would get se that were dead game, and the other man would get rank dunghills, i knew a couple of friends of mine who ordered sids from him, they were cousins, estal and kermit, both familys looked and showed the same, but one of the cousins got rank dunghills while the others were real game. any input on this, onyone please. thanks, mr. christian.

Post Thanks / Like

lmbo Sids they came all colors ,folks around here never bought any ,they new they were junk.mostly sold out of state ..

Post Thanks / Like

another thing i would like to have your input on, do you think that mr. mingus sids could be mugs, as they would come red, b.r., blue, white, and candy strip, and black, and i wounder why one would get se that were dead game, and the other man would get rank dunghills, i knew a couple of friends of mine who ordered sids from him, they were cousins, estal and kermit, both familys looked and showed the same, but one of the cousins got rank dunghills while the others were real game. any input on this, onyone please. thanks, mr. christian.
    yes your question is interesting, as mr.mingus seemed to have sold his sids for decades but very few people seem to have them today,it would be great if more mingus sid breeders could share us their comments.i was told by mr.j.d.gay's great grandson that the log cabins came black with red wings if am not mistaken, and that they were black faced.
    Last edited by elgallolatino; February 16th, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

yes your question is interesting, as mr.mingus seemed to have sold his sids for decades but very few people seem to have them today,it would be great if more mingus sid breeders could share us their comments.i was told by mr.j.d.gay's great grandson that the log cabins came black with red wings if am not mistaken, and that they were black faced.
    good info sir,that is odd indeed, because most people seem to think the black face came from the spencer, and very well could have, if mr. spencer got his dids from mr. gay, i can remember the first katt bresall (LAST NAME SPELLED WRONG) that i seen were 100% brassbacked and green legged, i had loaned a friend a hunt cock i believe the thrid cock i got from mr. hunt, he then loaned the cock to kermit vance who had gone to katts and bought the sids, and he bred the sid cock of mine to the log cabin hens, raised 11 stags and showed all of them the same day at a hack fight, and won all 11 fights, some were solid black, some were brassbacked, ang gave everyone away that same day to different cockers, the late pet hackney got a solid black one from kirmit and bred him to a sid hen that he got from who i dont no, but i watched pet show one every now and then and they were real good roosters,i ended up with the trio of sids that kermit got from katt, but due to the fact they were not black i never bred them, but gave them to the late david day and his dad, they used them on hatch and were all very good roosters, i let david use a sis cock and they bred him to the katt hens, and showed them like that, again very good roosters, now i no david and his dad were close friends with paul hulin, and this could be where paul got his sids from, again not sure of this, maybe someone might no for sure where paul got his sids. nice thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: pure black face sid taylor lines

lmbo Sids they came all colors ,folks around here never bought any ,they new they were junk.mostly sold out of state ..
    good day calvin, hope all is well with you, well the way i see it some were bad, but like i said in my other post, some were good, very fast, game and they can cut, cut, cut.

Post Thanks / Like

good info sir,that is odd indeed, because most people seem to think the black face came from the spencer, and very well could have, if mr. spencer got his dids from mr. gay, i can remember the first katt bresall (LAST NAME SPELLED WRONG) that i seen were 100% brassbacked and green legged, i had loaned a friend a hunt cock i believe the thrid cock i got from mr. hunt, he then loaned the cock to kermit vance who had gone to katts and bought the sids, and he bred the sid cock of mine to the log cabin hens, raised 11 stags and showed all of them the same day at a hack fight, and won all 11 fights, some were solid black, some were brassbacked, ang gave everyone away that same day to different cockers, the late pet hackney got a solid black one from kirmit and bred him to a sid hen that he got from who i dont no, but i watched pet show one every now and then and they were real good roosters,i ended up with the trio of sids that kermit got from katt, but due to the fact they were not black i never bred them, but gave them to the late david day and his dad, they used them on hatch and were all very good roosters, i let david use a sis cock and they bred him to the katt hens, and showed them like that, again very good roosters, now i no david and his dad were close friends with paul hulin, and this could be where paul got his sids from, again not sure of this, maybe someone might no for sure where paul got his sids. nice thread.
    thanks mr. christian,mr.gay's great grand son also told me that the log cabins were not of much intererest for mr. gay only son ,doug ,but were of great interest for doug's brother in law mr.Clemens Caldwell of Danville
    kentucky, mr. clemens bred chickens until his death in 2007, does this name reminds anything to you?
    Last edited by elgallolatino; February 16th, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks mr. christian,mr.gay's great grand son also told me that the log cabins were not of much intererest for mr. gay only son ,doug ,but were of great interest for doug's brother in law mr.Clemens Caldwell of Danville
    kentucky, mr. clemens bred chickens until his his death in 2007, does this name reminds anything to you?
    (no) but the name caldwell does, if am not wrong, i want to put the name with theold caldwell blues, have not heard of them in years, did he happen to tell you what color the log cabins came,
    Last edited by sids; February 16th, 2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

(no) but the name caldwell does, if am not wrong, i want to put the name with theold caldwell blues, have not heard of them in years, did he happen to tell you what color the log cabins came,
    yes he said black with red wings,not black not red.black faced.

Post Thanks / Like

yes sir Sids ,everyone gets lucky ,however if some are not game and some are ,you and I would cull certainly not sale or breed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: pure black face sid taylor lines

yes sir Sids ,everyone gets lucky ,however if some are not game and some are ,you and I would cull certainly not sale or breed.
    you are right calvin, thats what i would do, estel killed all of his, but kermits sids stayed around until they also played out, and he ended up quitting all togather.i have injoyed the topix.and everyones opinion on this very old but, also a breed thats still striving. thanks to all the breeders who have maintained the different lines of sid fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

anybody knows the hobbs-spencer sid taylor?.i've been told they were a rare breed but very good ones. pictures would be of great interest.

thanks
    Last edited by elgallolatino; February 27th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: pure black face sid taylor lines

anybody knows the hobbs-spencer sid taylor?.i've been told they were a rare breed but very good ones. pictures would be of great interest.

thanks
    i sent you a p.m. regarding the hobbs sids

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Christian I sent u a pm about your paleface and Sids

Post Thanks / Like

elgallolatino this thread seems to be repetitive ,Do you own a blood line of Sid's lets see the pics please? or are you looking for a good family ? all of which have been answered .If you want good competitive & game Sid's buy from Mr. Christian .

Post Thanks / Like

It is a good topic, but it becomes Over and over again.

Post Thanks / Like

elgallolatino this thread seems to be repetitive ,Do you own a blood line of Sid's lets see the pics please? or are you looking for a good family ? all of which have been answered .If you want good competitive & game Sid's buy from Mr. Christian .
    hi calvin2 sorry for all the questions but i have learned a lot with this thread and i still want to learn more,and yes i want to get some sid blood but i live abroad and the only way i can do it is buying eggs as live birds are more complicated to ship home and you know how difficult is to get hatching eggs from good breeders.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Birds can be shipped all over the world ,where are you located ?The season is here better get em in the next few months or you will need to wait another year .I know a few people that ship eggs , some are successful .
    Last edited by CALVIN2; March 1st, 2012 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm in venezuela it takes three days the fastest way if you have all papers.