Thread: BUTCHER OR CLARET

Post Thanks / Like

BUTCHER OR CLARET

Hello boys
    hope everthing is good.which do you think is better for gaff butcher or claret and which is gamer.also how are the mark marsh butchers?any input well apreciated.thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BUTCHER OR CLARET

I've had Red Richardson & Oscar Akins Butchers.... and Clarets.... I still have my Clarets.

Post Thanks / Like

basic same type of fowl.... had butchers a few years back and loved them have had clarets for over 40 years love them...

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Cigar
    have you heard about the mark marsh butchers?planning to buy from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to combine them. They say it will work

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice topic. Last month I acquired a pair of Madigin Claret brood materials from a friend and hope to produce best cutters out of these. But there are breeders here in the Philippines who prefer butchers, I dont know why. Anyone here in the net who can explain why claret or butcher a better choice than other bloodlines?

Post Thanks / Like

2 diff styles of fighting, depend on what your crossing it too, whether the butcher or claret is better

Post Thanks / Like

lets sat ur showing short knife..nd u have wl kelsos nd ylh

Post Thanks / Like

yes marks butchers are the real deal they have been in his family for a long time like our clarets....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

cigar,
    sorry to impose on you in here but i am a fan of your clarets. I live in west georgia and have seen yours many times in the Gamecock. i too have the old hanky dean line but i was only handed a pure hen. from Mr. Buddy Hutcheson from alabama.he actually gave the hen to my wife.she used to take him biscuits to pit where he was referee.mr. buddy said his daddy got them out of north carolina and raised cocks for someone in alabama.mr buddy was 80 five years ago when he passed.he was impressed enough at pit with a straight comb yellowleg crossed cock that he brought the hen and told me to breed to her that cock.long story short i did and the next year mr. buddy passed. since i have taken a stag from the breeding and continued to breed her back i'm down to her great grandson now. 15/16 CLARET younguns now.
    my best cross has been taking the 1/2 cock now and breeding to pure green leg hatch hens. whats your cross magic...
    duane campbell
    Steadman Farm

Post Thanks / Like

duane yes that's one fine cross to me that cross has been around and on top for a long time. the ace's seem to come from the claret cock over the hatch hens i have breed both ways with the hatch cock over claret hens too.... good luck...

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Would claret be considerd a smart fighting bird like the roundhead or a power bird like the hatch?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the claret butcher crossed together the butcher have a little more bottom and the clarets edge out in cutting both are extremely game and both cross well with most other breeds you cant really go wrong with either.

Post Thanks / Like

Also which would be a better cross claret an roundhead or claret an hatch?

Post Thanks / Like

I have had both,I am not going to say one is any better than the other,if you get the good ones,I was lucky in fowl as every breed of fowl I had were gave to me ,but 2,I worked with Big Reds nephew for years,he got fowl from red, directly from hiis yard, and brought them to me, dang gone good ones,but like I stated before the only 2 breeds that comes to my mind that points there heels in the right place, and when they hit they hit to kill , are the good clarets and the good bruners,but good luck getting them though, around my part of the mountains about unitainable,unless you have friends,and may be not then,Joe and Scott never even let Louie have them and we were partners, as I stated before there cutting ability is the reason for it,no one wants to sell fowl that cuts like that if they have to match into them, just being honest,I have turn many friends down that wanted the bruners,for big money,but when I got sick I let my partner have them were they would not have to match into them

Post Thanks / Like

these are the baumgardner claret they have the bloodiest heels ive ever seen

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a Butcher/Claret cross. YFIS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papagallo View Post
    Hello boys
    hope everthing is good.which do you think is better for gaff butcher or claret and which is gamer.also how are the mark marsh butchers?any input well apreciated.thanks
    Butcher all the way. Gamer and way more powerful. Talk to Ernest Atkins he has very good butchers. These butchers have tons of bottom and are extremeley game. They were intended for the gaff. We show the butchers crossed onto kelso and we show them in the shortknife. The butchers are not very smart but have tons of bottom game.

Post Thanks / Like

may be it depends on the crosses you may....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chad123 View Post
    these are the baumgardner claret they have the bloodiest heels ive ever seen
    Bill had the good ones for sure,looks like he is going to make a beautiful cock,the clarets cross good on bruners to, about the same style
    Last edited by Logan co entry; November 19th, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bsteadman View Post
    Would claret be considerd a smart fighting bird like the roundhead or a power bird like the hatch?
    I would say so, stylist and when mated to a classic fighter like a roundhead, I believe the quantitative trait of power like the hatch will be present.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

There is no best or there would only be one breed of gamefowl both are good depends on what you like and the particular line you are able to abtain the good one can compete in both breeds