Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: BEST GAFF ROOSTERS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BEST GAFF ROOSTERS

I've seen two average game gaff fowl bred together produce deep game battle crosses. Anyone ever wonder why? My first guess is its "HIGHBRED VIGOR" lying to you. My second guess is its two recessive genes from each family becoming dominant. Either way. Its a lie. Not saying it couldn't be useful though.

Post Thanks / Like

you gotta have hatch for the gaff and your handler better know the rules front and back and know what and when to do it in the gaff other then good fowl you better learn a good keep I think some one with good chickens and a great feeder/conditioner will beat some one with great fowl and a good keep and feeder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    I've seen two average game gaff fowl bred together produce deep game battle crosses. Anyone ever wonder why? My first guess is its "HIGHBRED VIGOR" lying to you. My second guess is its two recessive genes from each family becoming dominant. Either way. Its a lie. Not saying it couldn't be useful though.
    can you explain by what you mean by its a lie?

Post Thanks / Like

Game, awesome cutting Kelso's + Hard hitting powerful Mclean Hatch.......

Post Thanks / Like

My option is that u got hatch , Kelso, claret, grey, white hackel, that is all good in the gaff and the same roosters are good in the lk and sk as well . It's all cums down to where u get them from if there breed for the gaff or sk/lk . Don't go by lk or sk rooster to put in the gaff and then it *** down to ur keep and how u keep them if u got a gaff breed and ur raise them like a lk rooster then all ur doing messing ur self up ! If u can find eany of the 5 blood lines and u find a a well know gaff breeder then u are off to a good start ow Roundhead and butchers are good to as long as u get the good one most Roundhead love to dish it out but can't tack the cold steel too well . Now as far as white roosters and domes, toppies and muffs, black roosters I would stay far away from as I could I'm not saying there ant good ones out there but it like looking for a needle in a hay stack I have seen some deep game muffs that where hell in the gaff but the pepple who have them don't get read of them so if I was looking gaff first go to a gaffer sec stick to red/greys

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trueedge View Post
    can you explain by what you mean by its a lie?
    Well in terms of a battle cross there great BUT to use them to help brood fowl. What you see ISNT what you get. Vigor hides flaws. There are some crosses out there that ARENT winning with high brid vigor.

Post Thanks / Like

Spangle Sammy Ramsey grey, best gaff blood if you can get the real one.

Post Thanks / Like

There. Is so much blood u can use in the gaff is they are good but for me it would be bucther grey crosses or blueface ruble crosses.

Post Thanks / Like

Hatch crossed over Roundheads has been one of the best crosses ever made I think and next would be hatch kelso

11. Likes RHman1026 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best breed for gaff

I've always done really good with my Albany and Jimmy East greys straight and them two crossed

Post Thanks / Like

Hatch x kelso
    Rh x grey
    Hatch x grey
    Kelso x grey.
    Hell anything with the grey blood has done well when legal of course

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaclaret View Post
    My option is that u got hatch , Kelso, claret, grey, white hackel, that is all good in the gaff and the same roosters are good in the lk and sk as well . It's all cums down to where u get them from if there breed for the gaff or sk/lk . Don't go by lk or sk rooster to put in the gaff and then it *** down to ur keep and how u keep them if u got a gaff breed and ur raise them like a lk rooster then all ur doing messing ur self up ! If u can find eany of the 5 blood lines and u find a a well know gaff breeder then u are off to a good start ow Roundhead and butchers are good to as long as u get the good one most Roundhead love to dish it out but can't tack the cold steel too well . Now as far as white roosters and domes, toppies and muffs, black roosters I would stay far away from as I could I'm not saying there ant good ones out there but it like looking for a needle in a hay stack I have seen some deep game muffs that where hell in the gaff but the pepple who have them don't get read of them so if I was looking gaff first go to a gaffer sec stick to red/greys
    After reading this thought I would comment. I know everyone has their favorites. As I surely do. Someone dropped a bushel basket of needles in my little haystack as my off colored birds have put a couple pic up loads of reds and greys to sleep forever. I will say no matter what color they are or what you call them to be successful in the gaff you need these things, without all of them you will come up short. Deep cutting ability, GAMENESS, power, bottom, and a certain amount of fighting ability. Again just my opinion. But have proved it thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed LaBlue,
    It really doesn't matter what color they are.
    Ive seen plenty of junk reds/greys/kelsos and I've seen hennies/muffs/toppies/doms/etc tear the pit up.
    Reds and Greys have long been a favorite and thus, most cockers have 1 of those colors on the farm, so of course, many derbys will be won with such.
    The most important thing, find what you like, and then find someone who has the good ones.
    If you like doms, theres good ones out there. If you like hennies, theres good ones out there. Just keep looking.
    And alot of those are better as crosses than pure. Ive won my share with BBA crosses. But you'd never know it. When crossed on my hatch, they look like pure Kelso.

16. Likes LaBlue, CajunDevil, Sig1911 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get,buy, or steal the best. Without the best of care from shell to pit, you will never know what you have. In years past the BEST was tuff no matter what breed of fowl they pitted. Chickens only get so good, the chicken man gotta show up too!
    I keep saying this to paint a realistic picture. You get out what you put in. If your learning all on your own, your going to make at least 10 times the mistakes. My mentor was raised in the chicken yard. He did every thing out of instinct it seemed and jumped my hump if I even started to do something wrong. I asked him to teach me every thing he knew. He said get in my back pocket and in 2 years you know everything I do.
    Moral of my posting if you want the BEST you gotta be the BEST~my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Bama youve got to care for them when its a hundred degrees or 10 below 0

19. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

since evrybody is giving there opinion hell i guess ill throw my two cents in,i think green legged manziel grey are double tuff in the gaff of course i might a little partial since i have them,but they dam sure get it done for me

Post Thanks / Like

You all have some good ideas about what would be a good gaff rooster. There is one breed that was the best in the gaff, and if added to any of the names that are list would make them better. Simple as adding, BOLES ASIL.

22. Likes BLAKE V. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

and don't ever count out the morgan whitehackle, would be one of my top picks.

24. Likes BLAKE V. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a man about 80yrs. old that's been fighting chickens since he was 8. He's a gaff man and the birds he always keeps are Mugs(Raceys,Marks and Henderson),Jock Wilson grey toppies,Bates greys,Bates hatch and Slop Jar Hatch. Mostly a mug man.

26. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes BLAKE V., CajunDevil liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me a dead game hatch family .....or law gray family crossed over a deadly cutting and athletic kelso family ....thats the s.....hit

28. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not saying in the least bit that any other breed cant get it done .....but on a % thing this worked ...

Post Thanks / Like

The best Gaff Fowl around have to win consistently....lose one here and there and rarely get "outroostered" sometimes you just run into the wrong rooster don't matter what you have. With that being said and in 100 percent agreement with what BamaOkie said about taking care of fowl top notch year round and having the brood pen to back them up I'm gonna say Hatch,Hatch-Grey crosses and Hatch-Kelsos I've seen over the years be the most consistent where I've been thru the years......seen good fowl in all breeds at one time or another but I can't remember a show of Doms or off colored fowl win at least a six cock in the heel in good competition where good feeders were abundant..... Consistency and preparation and you will be right there knocking on the door more times than not. JMO. Yfis.

31. Likes Mossy Dell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

..seen good fowl in all breeds at one time or another but I can't remember a show of Doms or off colored fowl win at least a six cock in the heel in good competition where good feeders were abundant...
    I think that depends where your at. I've seen off colored fowl win a many derby, and did with mine. The thing about off color fowl is not a majority have them. Most have gone with what is or was available, hatch, ect. Then later, I think most followed the fads of the breeds the mor recent champs used wich were mostly red. Even in the lk of today. I've watched about every world slasher and most will be red roosters with few greys. In the very old gaff days this wasn't the case, many world beaters had fought many more off colored fowl and were truely world beaters. Red fowl are not better than off colored fow in my opinion. jmo

33. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Likes PeterJBen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day if you were going to show at the Derbies in Oklahoma in the gaff you better make sure they were game. Seems like you would have at least 1 or 2 long drag fights to get to the money fight. I always like a Hatch rooster over black hens.

35. Likes LaBlue liked this post