Thread: Book(s) on Oriental fowl

Post Thanks / Like

Book(s) on Oriental fowl

Looking to add to my library, want a complete A to Z book covering Oriental fowl eg. Asils and Japs... This book (or books) must still be in print , up to date ( reasonably ) and still avalible... Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Book(s) on Oriental fowl

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
    Looking to add to my library, want a complete A to Z book covering Oriental fowl eg. Asils and Japs... This book (or books) must still be in print , up to date ( reasonably ) and still avalible... Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks

The 2 books that I have are "Cockfighting All Over The World" by Mr.Carlos A. Finsterbusch (a reprint bought through a magazine, an originial book bound will cost you $200 at an antique book store) and Oriental Gamefowl by Dr. Edsel Bixler from Mr. Joe Z.

I wish I can get my hand on the asilmania.

Post Thanks / Like

Oriental Gamefowl by Horst Schmude

you can get it on Amazon, lots of nice pictures of all the different orientals both for the show and the pit. It concentrates more on breed standards. Its about 50 bucks but its the easiest one to get.

I have the book by Bixler but I could only get a hold of the spanish version. Less pictures and older than the Schmude book but it has content that relates more to fighting and breeding for the pit.

Asilmania can be found on ebay mostly xerox copies though. Its focus is more on crossing orientals to american fowl and conditioning, many interesting concepts discussed. No pictures and not much talk on breed standards
    Last edited by tonio; October 31st, 2011 at 10:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    Oriental Gamefowl by Horst Schmude

you can get it on Amazon, lots of nice pictures of all the different orientals both for the show and the pit. It concentrates more on breed standards. Its about 50 bucks but its the easiest one to get.

I have the book by Bixler but I could only get a hold of the spanish version. Less pictures and older than the Schmude book but it has content that relates more to fighting and breeding for the pit.

Asilmania can be found on ebay mostly xerox copies though. Its focus is more on crossing orientals to american fowl and conditioning, many interesting concepts discussed. No pictures and not much talk on breed standards
    sir tonio i couldnt find one on ebay, anyway you could pm me a link to it please

Post Thanks / Like

Not knocking Asil Mania as it worked for them or wouldnt have printed it but a Friend who is well into Asil/Japs told me when he visited after talking about breeding oriental/asil fowl and talked about how they were winning told me I was doing it backwards--LOL--but works for me so I dont think theres any one way to breed them to Western fowl I did mine by hit or miss and stayed with what worked. I wouldnt mind seeing some pictures of orientals/asils at least pictures to compare mine with.I started out with some sonatol came out of TX learned to really like them alot as we were high% winners with them and Johnny Jumpers green legged greys the grades were also gentle the JJ Greys would pace their pens like a caged tiger looking to get you any way they could-LOL.I met Larry Lingerfelt years before I knew what kind of fowl he had. few years later he visited to pick up another Great Pyrenese dog and I at that time had 2 familys of Hamlin asil about 13 years the Jerrys and the Edwins.So after visiting me last year he invited me to visit I went to visit him he gifted me the Hyderbads and the lil Pataya havining a great time breeding my new asils the more I work with them the more I like asils.Larry has some really nice oriental/asil familys including some of the Boles with paperwork proving them authentic.Anyway Good luck in your search for the Books--Jim
    Last edited by j007; November 1st, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

probably the best book on orientals of recent years is an English one titled 'Oriental Fighting Cocks' by Traveler , a good read.......

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys !! .. I did see the Schmude book on Ebay , I seen a older add that Joe Zannino ran in the GC (2000 ? ) for the Bixler book in English , I'd have to call and see if his number is still good.

Nonny , is that book in print and avalible ?

Also came across two feed/keep methods geared twords Orientals , one from Charlie Claypool and the other from Robert Rogers . . Whats your opinions ?

Post Thanks / Like

just had a look , published in 2008......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
    Thanks Guys !! .. I did see the Schmude book on Ebay , I seen a older add that Joe Zannino ran in the GC (2000 ? ) for the Bixler book in English , I'd have to call and see if his number is still good.

Nonny , is that book in print and avalible ?

Also came across two feed/keep methods geared twords Orientals , one from Charlie Claypool and the other from Robert Rogers . . Whats your opinions ?
    Come to think of it, there's also an oriental breeder from Jackson, Tennesee named Hazel Matthews who writes short articles in The Gamecock magazine. I believe she might have written a book also about Orientals.

Post Thanks / Like

Nonny , I signed up and sent Traveler a email.... Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

i wanna know where i can get ahold of asilmania...

Post Thanks / Like

Okey , just got off the phone ordering my English copy of Dr. Bixler' s book , have ordered the Schmude book from Amazon , and if Traveler writes me back , I'm going to order that one too , think I just about covered it all lol , again thanks to you guys .

Mica , if you still want a English copy , pm me for the gentlemens number , has a few copies left.

Post Thanks / Like

desert rat,

theres a good book written by antonio hidalgo, regarding asils and oriental fowls. he was a firm believer in the orientals and they were also part of his breeding regimen in his farm before, the magiting gamefarm. the books are available here in almost all the national bookstores in the philippines. antonio hidalgo used to be a professor in the top national universities here in the philippines and he authored about 4 to 5 books re cockfighting especially his love and exposure to the orientals and asils after his stint with the UNICEF in Burma. just try it. i read it and loved it.

Post Thanks / Like

Shuaijan_13, Thanks brother .... I'll look into that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuaijan 13 View Post
    desert rat,

theres a good book written by antonio hidalgo, regarding asils and oriental fowls. he was a firm believer in the orientals and they were also part of his breeding regimen in his farm before, the magiting gamefarm. the books are available here in almost all the national bookstores in the philippines. antonio hidalgo used to be a professor in the top national universities here in the philippines and he authored about 4 to 5 books re cockfighting especially his love and exposure to the orientals and asils after his stint with the UNICEF in Burma. just try it. i read it and loved it.
    I have three of his book in English and one small book in tagalog.

http://milfloresonline.blogspot.com/...ting%20manuals

Post Thanks / Like

sir cam how do u go abour purchasing those books?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shuaijan 13 View Post
    desert rat,

Yap, one of the best.

I also believed that Mr. Hidalgo already read lots of breeding books before he publish his own books...so his books are the "summary" of the best of what he got from different sources and that includes also the experiences of his friends and his very own personal experiences on gamefowl breeding.