Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gary Gilliam Spangled Penny Hatch

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Gilliam Spangled Penny Hatch

Anybody have any experience with the spangled Penny's from Gary Gilliam? Did they originate from the red Penny's? They look very good, just wanted to know if anybody has had any dealings with them. Thanks, Bobby

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gary Gilliam Spangled Penny Hatch

In 2007 I purchased 4 trios from Gary, 2 roundhead and 2 bonecrusher hatch. He didnt have any spangle stags. Gary had just purchased the Spangled penny trio. He said he paid alot of money for it...but he didnt tell me where he got them. I have heard they are pretty good hatch.

Post Thanks / Like

Bama sport spangle hatch i think

Post Thanks / Like

So if they are from them they r not penny
    How are his hatch lines . What did ya use them in

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think they are bama sports. bama sports are gerard hatch. there are lots of penny breeders in oklahoma...jim bryan, jr belt, to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyRN1971 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with the spangled Penny's from Gary Gilliam? Did they originate from the red Penny's? They look very good, just wanted to know if anybody has had any dealings with them. Thanks, Bobby
    Gary recieved his pennys from a guy named pickle,he got his from Jim Bryant they come both red and spangle there good crossing chickens

Post Thanks / Like

my pennys from tom hargus have been know to throw spangles so did tom dales and all the rest of the penny breeders

cockfighter_199

I have the spangled gerrards from bamasports im breeding them to some blues that stags really really looking nice

9. Thanks gypsy rose thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1963 View Post
    Gary recieved his pennys from a guy named pickle,he got his from Jim Bryant they come both red and spangle there good crossing chickens
    thanks for the info...i kinda figured they originated from jim bryant...never heard of pickle.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure that they are of jim bryan's pennys. Pickle has always helped jim and I am sure he took them to gary. Most in eastern oklahoma recieved theirs thru jim bryan or jr. belt.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Gary Gilliam Spangled Penny Hatch

I would like some more info on these hatch, were ordering some hens from him soon, help me make up my mind pennys or bonecrusher
    , some pic would be nice too. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Jim Bryant has passed away... R.I.P... most folks around here that have the good Penny's got them from Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

May he rest in peace now that he's in a better place. Sir Slipspur I saw your gallery , are your Penny hatch from Mr. Bryant ?

Post Thanks / Like

yes, jim passed away in mid january. he is buried at the national cementary in fort gibson. Just some old rooster fighters and family there. He lived a full life up to the time of his passing. gary does have some spangle pennys that came from jim thru pickle. He may have others i don't know. hope this helps kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic5.0 View Post
    May he rest in peace now that he's in a better place. Sir Slipspur I saw your gallery , are your Penny hatch from Mr. Bryant ?
    No, the Penny Hatch I had were not... another thing they weren't is game... they went down the road

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    No, the Penny Hatch I had were not... another thing they weren't is game... they went down the road
    Oh , well they lookEd nice .
    Sir have you seen the ones from Gary, what do you think aboutem just wanted to know about them cause we are ordering some hens soon. If they are good might get a stag too .... ? Thanks for any help

Post Thanks / Like

Oh , well they lookEd nice .
    Sir have you seen the ones from Gary, what do you think aboutem just wanted to know about them cause we are ordering some hens soon. If they are good might get a stag too .... ? Thanks for any help
    I have seen them, the spangled side... if I weren't happy with my McLean's, I'd get the Penny's... Most likely from either Tom Hargus or Bill McNatt, because I know them personally... Gary's are the same blood... all 3 have the Jim Bryant Penny Hatch... I like the Bryant blood a lot more than the Blackmon blood I had... mine were mean, looked to have Asil in them & weren't game. The Bryant blood is more refined, better looking with better dispositions and I believe they are game.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary got his Pennys from Jame Pilkington, known by all in this area as Pickle, he was Jim's busom buddy. Jim gave Pickle all the pennys when Okla went bad. Jim called me to come get them and I couldn't get away for a couple of weeks, so he called Pickle to get them. About a yr after the law went into effect, and the hysteria had died down, Jim got them back. This was in 04, Pickle brought most back but kept some with Jim's blessing. Jim had told Kyle, my youngest son that when Jim got too old to take care of them in 8-10 yrs he wanted Kyle to have all of his fowl. Jim was about 86 at the time. When Jimmy, Jim's son died from cancer in 2010, Jim realized he was too old to take care of them in the heat of the summer and called us to come get them. We picked up 7 penny cocks, 4 red hens, 5 spangled hens all the Fowler BrownReds that Jim had since the 50's and about 30 metal holding pens. We already had Pennys from Jim since the early 90's and now have all of Jim's personal broodfowl. The Spangles show better than the Reds but come meaner. They are not for the beginner.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some penny's from larry blackman years ago and i get a few of them come spangle from time to time

Post Thanks / Like

how about the pennys from Kirk Mcbryar?(hope i spelled it right) how are they?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmcnatt View Post
    Gary got his Pennys from Jame Pilkington, known by all in this area as Pickle, he was Jim's busom buddy. Jim gave Pickle all the pennys when Okla went bad. Jim called me to come get them and I couldn't get away for a couple of weeks, so he called Pickle to get them. About a yr after the law went into effect, and the hysteria had died down, Jim got them back. This was in 04, Pickle brought most back but kept some with Jim's blessing. Jim had told Kyle, my youngest son that when Jim got too old to take care of them in 8-10 yrs he wanted Kyle to have all of his fowl. Jim was about 86 at the time. When Jimmy, Jim's son died from cancer in 2010, Jim realized he was too old to take care of them in the heat of the summer and called us to come get them. We picked up 7 penny cocks, 4 red hens, 5 spangled hens all the Fowler BrownReds that Jim had since the 50's and about 30 metal holding pens. We already had Pennys from Jim since the early 90's and now have all of Jim's personal broodfowl. The Spangles show better than the Reds but come meaner. They are not for the beginner.
    Thank you for the info sir. Why do you think they are not for beginner ? Just wondering cause we might be gettin some Penny from G. Gilliam pretty soon .

Post Thanks / Like

I got a question for all the breeders. Whats the best hatch that you've ever had. The best hatch i ever had and are still the best for me are the lieper hatches those birds are awesome crossed or pure..

Post Thanks / Like

wello mclean hatch and wello spangled hatch

25. Likes TripleJRanch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info sir. Why do you think they are not for beginner ? Just wondering cause we might be gettin some Penny from G. Gilliam pretty soon .
    Because if you handle them rough they will start to fight you and can become man fighters. that is the only reason for not for beginners. The pennys have a great memory and will never forgive you or forget you if you are ever rough with them. If you ever get rough with one, you are better off to just kill him and go on. hope this helps. kyle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmcnatt View Post

Bill is right on the money with this.Pickle did give some to Gary Gilliam.The spangle are Pickles favorite too.
    Didnt know Jim Bryant passed away. Figured Pickle would of called me about that.Will have to call him later.
    RIP JIM..........
    Last edited by daredevil; February 16th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info bsk.......

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
    Bill is right on the money with this.Pickle did give some to Gary Gilliam.The spangle are Pickles favorite too.
    Didnt know Jim Bryant passed away. Figured Pickle would of called me about that.Will have to call him later.
    RIP JIM..........
    How are the spangled any different. ? Should I get one spangled and one red ?
    Thanks in advance for your advice

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen them, the spangled side... if I weren't happy with my McLean's, I'd get the Penny's... Most likely from either Tom Hargus or Bill McNatt, because I know them personally... Gary's are the same blood... all 3 have the Jim Bryant Penny Hatch... I like the Bryant blood a lot more than the Blackmon blood I had... mine were mean, looked to have Asil in them & weren't game. The Bryant blood is more refined, better looking with better dispositions and I believe they are game.
    Sorry to hear that someone gave or sold you phony chickens under the Blackman name(spelled with an "a") as the true Blackmans that have been kept right give a new meaning to the word "game". The real blood is hard to get as many hate to part with them. I know Larry introduced a cock (to freshen them up) from a friend of his that had received fowl from him years before that ended up ruining his flock for that season. I had received a cock of that breeding and was asked to dispose of him and his offspring by Larry Blackman. It was hard to do so because his offspring were superb. I couldn't "put him out" so I gave him to a friend from around the Odessa area. I then went back to Larry's and picked up another one free of charge. I was able to get in contact with Larry through the kindness of Bill or Kyle (been so long I dont remember which one it was lol). Thanks again guys.

felito

Post Thanks / Like

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Jim Bryant has passed away... R.I.P... most folks around here that have the good Penny's got them from Jim....
    Damn that really sucks...Hate to hear a lot of great cockers dying recently. Maybe I could make a trip and visit some of them old timers. Would like to say i visited with some. RIP Mr Bryant.

Post Thanks / Like

well... does gary's birds show well in the american style? like what he sales... not what he has.. but what you buy from him

Post Thanks / Like

? IN what weapon are all those old trophies from ?