Page 5 of 207 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken Knives, Tari, Slasher - tying, sharpening etc

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chicken Knives, Tari, Slasher - tying, sharpening etc

wow good info ill be keepin up on your post.I tie myself .

Post Thanks / Like

any pics of libat settings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jailbird View Post
    Thanks BantonSpur, would you know what COBALT steel is? can you enlighten us?
    I am not a matalurgical engineer so my knowledge on metals is very limited...hehehe. All I know from the posts of some of the better informed gust in this board as posted in some of the similar threads I have read is, cobalt has poor edge retention properties... I am not sure though because I have no experience on the subject.

Regards,
    BantonSpur

Post Thanks / Like

i need sharpening bad!! help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes too much effort to use the 50 cal nowadays even for blades, with the advent of the toolbit, and most especially with the hacksaw and disc machine blades. However it would be great to find out how the 50 cal performs under a "scientific forging process" - i see some forges being advertised on the net, along with instructions, and its great to hear that you will actually make tari using the 50 cal again.

Please let us know how it goes. Thanks
    I agree that there is no need for so much effort making knives out of 50 caliber slugs and in my humble opinion, even out of toolbits and hacksaw blades... I have nothing against hacksaw blades but please understand that these are tempered metals and subjecting them to extreme heat will change the consistency of the metal...thus the occasional chipping at the tip of the knife...

There are available anneled knife steel that are very convenient to use and of very good quality... These knife steel makes the life of our knife maker a lot less complicated and less trouble free as they come in various thickness and size. Google for admiral steel and you will be amazed by the options you will see...

My knife maker heat teats it just like he heat treats his garols after he has made them into knives and I have no complaints on the quality...

Hope this helps.

BantonSpur

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the website tip on admiral. I emailed them to ask if they can make blanks. That should make knif making so much easier. The have laser cutters.

What metal would you recommend to be used for tari? I got vertigo reading through their extensive list of metals i could not distinguish one from the other :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the website tip on admiral. I emailed them to ask if they can make blanks. That should make knif making so much easier. The have laser cutters.

What metal would you recommend to be used for tari? I got vertigo reading through their extensive list of metals i could not distinguish one from the other :-)

this thread will help
    http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showt...15#post3353215

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks thats a nice technical thread! I hope admiral responds on the laser cut blade request. This will eliminate blade stress.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    Dremel, is it a good tool to cut metal like power hacksaw blade? Only tried the angle grinder with metal cutter and a speed grinder with metal cutter.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx

*** I don't know about the fourth picture but I have the first one and it's just a tiny tool cutter. It's only good for jewelry metal crafting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FILAMEX View Post
    *** I don't know about the fourth picture but I have the first one and it's just a tiny tool cutter. It's only good for jewelry metal crafting.
    Filamex,

Okay, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info too. Just met with my cousin Melque Benedicto, who is in partnership with Johnny Jalandoni in managing his farm and flock. Wedding of my niece from my bro Jun B.

Even they, Melque and his bro Bobby agree that a conditioning camp and knife center in metro manila is badly needed - especially with the great number of major derbies here that provincial breeders have to join, and metro manila based financiers/cockers who need professional handling services.

If God-willing a conditioning camp and knife tech center Here in Sucat near SLEX might come true soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday, I found an old leather wallet. Made me about 10 leather wraps. Cut the wraps 2 1/2 long, 1 1/4" wide and punch 5/16" hole in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sir Camarines, how did you put the backstop on? The ones on sale here have backstops made of wood with a triangular cross section and it is sandwiched between two strips of leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sir Camarines, how did you put the backstop on? The ones on sale here have backstops made of wood with a triangular cross section and it is sandwiched between two strips of leather.
    Good you ask me that. I'm still working on it. I think I'll use leather also or maybe cork or balsa wood.

I'll post my boot that came from the tari my father got from Mr. Eddie Sioson.

Last edited by Camarines; November 26th, 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The leather strips I made yesterday. 5/16" hole punch is a valuable tool for punching holes for the mole skins.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sir Camarines, i hope someone who has had experience using those wheels could post the pros and cons. Thanks
    Looks like the Mexicans use the wheels.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkKAJml5zI&feature=player_embedded"]Navajas Zarazua La Industria Navajera - YouTube[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody here has a video of garol making? All I see is knife tying videos. Except for the peruvian knifemaker, Also l wanted to see the Mexcian style knife making and garol making procedure. Thanks to who will post those videos.
    ***The Peruvian knife and the Mex SK are I think made very similarly.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm8Df9nbEik&feature=player_embedded"]Gallos Navajeros - YouTube[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Filamex,

I like the Peruvian video.

Post Thanks / Like

***The Peruvian knife and the Mex SK are I think made very similarly.
    Gallos Navajeros - YouTube
    This is really a very very very nice video. Last time i watched a one pice knife being made was 42 years ago!!!! The only difference is the prop toe ring which was a thirs tyne opposite the garol.

Thanks for posting these videos!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the Mexicans use the wheels.....

Navajas Zarazua La Industria Navajera - YouTube
    The curvature if the mexican knife is so pronounced and looks deadly as a short knife. Has anyone had any experience with this curvature with a slightly longer knife similar to standard Fil knives? 3-4 inches?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen in a gun show a guy making gun holster out of kydex material. He is efficient as he uses band saw to cut the kydex and use vertical drill to drill holes on the material.

This guy on the video making knife sheaths is way behind in efficiency.

I'm thinking of using the same material for making vaina.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJnHpnnSoo"]Kydex Knife Sheath Instructional Video - YouTube[/ame]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes please do, and ill be one of your firstcustomers. I really hate the way the current plastic baina tends to dull the blade and tip if its not tightly tied. That kydex may be more gentle to the blade ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes please do, and ill be one of your firstcustomers. I really hate the way the current plastic baina tends to dull the blade and tip if its not tightly tied. That kydex may be more gentle to the blade ;-)
    jailbird,

Thanks for the support. I'm posting the website of the material just in case anybody else is interested to experiment with the material.

http://www.kydex.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Camarines,

Just realized you may be able to fashion a knife carrier using that material. Something good for 3-6 knives would be great. I have been on the lookout for a nice way to assemble 3-6 knives along with all the paraphernalia - sapin, leather boot, strings, woodpegs, electrical tape, last minute honing stones, pagkit, etc in the smallest and most convenient bag possible.

I really find it silly having to bring "attache" type bags full of knives when all we would fight are 4 or 3 or even just one rooster.

If the rooster can be measured well in advance, there really is only one knife needed, and maybe a spare in case some mergency happens to the first choice blade.

There are miniature attache cases but they still look awkward :-)

The traditional plastic sukuban with 12 or even just six blade capacity is my current CARRY choice, placed in a clutch bag with all the other items, but it ends up so messed up. Went to greenhills trying to look up a bag to modify but no luck.

Is there anybody out there with a system for these fights where you only have to arm a dew roosters?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Camarines,

Just realized you may be able to fashion a knife carrier using that material. Something good for 3-6 knives would be great. I have been on the lookout for a nice way to assemble 3-6 knives along with all the paraphernalia - sapin, leather boot, strings, woodpegs, electrical tape, last minute honing stones, pagkit, etc in the smallest and most convenient bag possible.

I really find it silly having to bring "attache" type bags full of knives when all we would fight are 4 or 3 or even just one rooster.

If the rooster can be measured well in advance, there really is only one knife needed, and maybe a spare in case some mergency happens to the first choice blade.

There are miniature attache cases but they still look awkward :-)

The traditional plastic sukuban with 12 or even just six blade capacity is my current CARRY choice, placed in a clutch bag with all the other items, but it ends up so messed up. Went to greenhills trying to look up a bag to modify but no luck.

Is there anybody out there with a system for these fights where you only have to arm a dew roosters?
    jailbird,
    Yup that's the idea. Been toying around in making a takira also. I salvage an aluminum fan and cut them into pieces. Made some feed cup holders with it because I can bend it by hand. With the takira (knife holder) I cut the aluminum for its use but did not finish completing it. Looks to me now you mentioned it that the kydex will make a better material.

Last edited by Camarines; November 27th, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow sir, if you ever make one , please make a spare and im your first customer ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow sir, if you ever make one , please make a spare and im your first customer ;-)
    It might not materialize because kydex is expensive. A website that is an alternate to kydex which is basically free and that you use the plastic bottle from laundry liquid soap that will have HDPE-2 marked on them. Other plastics are toxic. HDPE-2 is non toxic.

But anyway knife sheath making instructions in pictures.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...kydex+tutorial

Last edited by Camarines; November 27th, 2011 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    any pics of libat settings?
    Darkside,

I don't know what libat means? But you can check the thread by Mr. Rolly Ramos titled "Asinta ng Tari" sa Usapang Manok. Here's the link
    http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showt...ighlight=libat

Post Thanks / Like

jailbird,

Thanks for the support. I'm posting the website of the material just in case anybody else is interested to experiment with the material.

http://www.kydex.com/

*** Thanks for posting this kydex material Camarines. It does look like it's really good for tari scabbards but, not with those rivets to join/hold the ends together. Sewing them instead is I think a better way, just like the plastic scabbards are made.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

QUOTE=jailbird;3918028]The curvature if the mexican knife is so pronounced and looks deadly as a short knife. Has anyone had any experience with this curvature with a slightly longer knife similar to standard Fil knives? 3-4 inches?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

*** If you stretch that 1.25" Mex SK to 3-4 inches, the outcome would be very similar to the Peruvian long knife.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*** I think that you exagerating here parekoy.. I thought your blades are made of cobalt & power hacksaw blades... they should not be bothered by a plastic, hehehe...
    Last edited by FILAMEX; November 28th, 2011 at 10:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sir filamex, no exag sir, my labaha blade - before i learned to hone properly with a secondary edge - so it was fresh from vaciada and no burr. I tied it on my rooster with one of my longer baina - and in my excitement the string was not properly secured. The baina went loose and started rattling according to the handler, and after a while, he asked me to rtighten it as i was on the side. I didnt remove it but just tightened.
    Things were bad that day, everything seemd wrong. My rooster didnt even have a chance to retaliate as it was killed on the first buckle.
    Post mortem - kilikili - but when i checked the blade which i expected to be "brand new, never been used " hahahahahaha - the last half inch near the tip was dull. It didnt want to cut into my nails. So i complained to my friend the vaciador, and he told me it was quite common, when the baina is loose, the continuous rattling of the blade edge on the hard plastic could dull the blade. Ever since then, the baina gets tied extra securely and i even use a slightly longer string than normal.

I hope this helps for those amateurs like me who take the baina for granted. Of course, with a secondary edge or even with a diamond blade or standard blade with a larger grind angle, this should be less of a problem, i think.

Or you may be right it may have been something else and not the plastic :-)

Thanks!