in killing the pig what kind of knife
    should I use ?

it is the 30th now is my pig going to
    be here by MAY 5 ? excited na ako.

we are going to miss tiny m and others
    who will not be able to come on sunday
    but never mind you will be missing
    my lechon ha!!! sorry na lang kayo.
    By saturday, where do we deliver the PIG in a sack? and what time do you want it Madame China?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chicken Knives, Tari, Slasher - tying, sharpening etc

Agree with Sir Jeb on the preference for pronounced curvature and its wound effects and damage rather than a 'straight type'. To each his own.

This diagram is from Boy Vargas facebook. Boy also likes to paint the garols GOLD.

Mr. Saint has these blades too and uses for for his hackfights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jailbird View Post
    Hi Sir, one thing to note while there, please ask if the saw is SOLID or made from the same steel from base all the way to the teeth. There are many that are made from TWO types, the base and the teeth (a narrow band) are different metals. They call them bimetal. What we want is the ultra hard and ultra tough (not brittle) metal capable of cutting other metals :-) cutting HARD metals - preferably ;-)

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jeb

This CPM steel (but not stainless) is what we are now experimenting on with Ed, he is cutting 24 pieces for me - 12 via usual grinder and 12 via waterjet. Then it has to be tempered by a professional forging company. I'll be posting the results here. And yes, i am hopeful that this will be superior technology vs circular or straight saw blades. At the very least because we can put a TWIST on it - a little English before hardening. Something that we wont do with prehardened saw metals.

Great inputs!

Jeb,

My knives are all made of ATS 34. Much cheaper with almost the same quality. o need for professional forging company to temper. My tari maker knows exactly to do that. Goggle admiral steel and you will see the prices and available sizes. It comes from 1/16" to 5/32". choose your wild. Easy to cut as it is annealed.

You may wish to consider...

BantonSpur

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red dragon 133 View Post
    i had experienced with cpm s30v upon recommendation of someone that has wide knowledge in the department of metallurgy..natiris dulo ng tari ko when it hit the glass of the pit.i thought this cpm s30v is one of the hardest.i was wrong.i think the design of the blade was also a factor.too thin on the tip part of knife.
    i think the diamond blade design has more support on tip of knife
    When you say the tiris, my understanding is the tip of the blade chipped off? I undestand this is because the metal is too brittle... This usually happens with prehardened metals like sawblades that is why good tari makers make "paurong" the tip portion when using pre harderned metals.

CPM S30V is annealed and not a pre hardened metal and therfore the problem could have been in the tempering of the blades...

Just my opinion though...

BantonSpur

Post Thanks / Like

Happiness is your order of STEEL for tare arriving : )

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...oPackaging.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Sir joey, text me the cost of this saw landed ;-) thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

seems you like extra long knife sir.i measure my knife from bottom the part of proptoe (like in your picture) up to the middle of knee(siko).or i measure from upper part of proptoe up to last part of knee adjacent to feathers (like in your picture).
    your blade design is like the one i got from boy vargas.mine are medium point as recommend by boy for the type of fowl i am using.
    LOL...I thought I'm the only one that measure this way. Anyway, for whatever reasons, and beliefs that we have, it's always nice and encouraging to know that other gaffers also use the same or similar methods as our own. Cheers to you buddy...

Post Thanks / Like

i have a question here sir on simple test of knowing the hardness of metals.
    if you pass it in an electric grinding stone,if metal produces more sparks and the other metal produces lesser spark.which one is harder?
    lesser sparks is the harder one, like stainless, ingine blocks, bearings, gears, shafts, busings and any metals with high content of chromium, vanadium and molybdenum. you can observe more sparks on metal with high carbon content (cast iron steel) molten steel molds, tulad ng "di uling na plantsa" marupok ito at madaling mabasag.

Post Thanks / Like

this is how i personally learned to measure the length of tari for a particular cock.i am showing two methods here.the first method is measuring from bottom part of proptoe up to middle of knee or siko.the second method is measuring from upper part of proptoe up to the highest part of knee adjacent to leg feathers.i am only showing these two pictures as my personal preference.i know there are other ways to measure but i am sticking on these two methods because it is already tested and proven for me.to each his own method.

itong second method i usually use.
    [COLOR="rgb(244, 164, 96)"][[COLOR="rgb(244, 164, 96)"]Very nice pictures! The first one on top is how i measure for my dancing birds. If they sidestep a lot and especially if they have the backpedalling routine]

Otherwise the way i measured in my picture is how i do it for single strokers, and birds that break high and stretch their legs forward a lot ;-) good to have your own references depending on your fowls fighting style.

And when you dont know the bird? I depend on the birds body feel. The stronger the bird - i max out like my picture. The lighter the feel, eg baby stags at 1.8 - i use your measure.

Great sharing!
    Last edited by jailbird; May 1st, 2012 at 07:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BantonSpur View Post
    Jeb,

My knives are all made of ATS 34. Much cheaper with almost the same quality. o need for professional forging company to temper. My tari maker knows exactly to do that. Goggle admiral steel and you will see the prices and available sizes. It comes from 1/16" to 5/32". choose your wild. Easy to cut as it is annealed.

You may wish to consider...

BantonSpur
    Thanks Sir!

Hope you can bring a slab of that steel with you on May 6 :-)

Partner, what i really want to learn how to do is how to serrate a tari blade ;-)

See you!
    Last edited by jailbird; May 1st, 2012 at 08:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Chicken Knives, Tari, Slasher - tying, sharpening etc

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Hidalgo View Post
    By saturday, where do we deliver the PIG in a sack? and what time do you want it Madame China?

howdy joey H. oddbird66 is willing to accompany you.
    he knows where I live thanks...
    " one life time is not enough to learn about
    gamefowl breeding". it is like a vast universe
    what can come out will never cease to amaze us".

Post Thanks / Like

my personal allignment.i learned it this way and still using this ABC.sort of elementary guide for me in allignning and tying tari.after laying the sapin i allign the tari in this manner.
    1.i position first the left side of garol on the back of the leg (the area marked no.1 in the picture).this point is standard for me,andoon lang siya at hindi naiiba.sa likod ng paa medyo hilis ng konting konti papuntang right side.
    2.then i allign the tip of tari to the outer most part of knee (as shown and marked no. 2 in the picture).a bit adjustment sa paunan and you will achieve the desired allignment.pipihit yung tip ng tari papunta sa outer most part ng knee.
    3.then ill fix and tie the tari na.

Nice pic and illustration!!!!! I agree with you on the blade alignment. I usually adjust the distance from that point in the knee according to blade length ;-) this is another trick we use - the shorter the blade, we give it a little more gap from the knee point 2 at the pic. The longer the blade, the closer to the knee point 2 ;-) the reason for this is because my blades have a small twist to the right :-) some call it abihid, but im not sure mine are abihid. They are very similar twists with the SARAWAK also :-)

My only advise to those using the point 1 as reference is that it will only work if your blade/ garol alignment is always the same. But that is hard to achieve when the tari is manually fabricated. So just be careful especially if you are like me who has blades from so many sources.
    I do agree, however, that the left garol post would best be located in the middle of the shank, not for alignment purposes, but because of the physics -
    To give the base more structural soundness - and most important - ENERGY TRANSFER!!!

Post Thanks / Like

the thing that i would like to discuss with you is the size of the garol.the distance between the left side and right side garol.some commercial taris have narrow "makipot" na garol.maybe you would like to share your thoughts on this sir.
    I have learned to use whatever garol, the knife maker is comfortable using. First priority to me is the garol metallurgy. That the garol wont break. Believe me, they do break!

Second, while common sense dictates that the wider the base, the more stable the structure, this is not true with garols - simply because metal flexes. So given the same thickness, the wider the garol the more distance from the center, the more flexing. Therefore, if you want it wider, better make sure it is thick enough (the right thickness) to remove or provide flexing :-) again, some people cannot tolerate blade flexing but some just love it. Hahahaha

I personally do not like my garol to flex, so whether wide or narrow, i make sure it is thick enough not to flex. I prefer all the flexing in my blades, if any :-)

Im not sure if its wide or narrow, but your choice of garol may be influenced by the type of poste/paunan that you like to use. I prefer the slim posts so it is a lot easier to use the normal or not so wide garol ;-)
    Last edited by jailbird; May 1st, 2012 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe thats the opposite of what i do :-) thats where Godzilla knives are aligned ;-) and tied that way, they kill. But not as fast as the standard length and settings :-)

Post Thanks / Like

interesting thoughts you share sir.maybe in your next tari tari you can try alligning the short knife on point no. 3 and let`s see what will happen.baka matagal pumatay ang allignment ng american ..hehe
    Thats been done several times already in our sessions, and yes it takes a long time to kill hahahahaha. You will not believe what actual documented fights will teach you. Our sessions are clearly analyzed because there are no bets. We dont even mind who (owner) wins or loses - thats immaterial. Whats important is how the roosters used the knife, and how the knives performed. and the learnings for the fight.

Most of the participants in the sessions are very busy, a few CEOs, multi clinic Doctors, working salary men, small businessmen, and executives, etc etc etc - but the learnings and camaraderie is priceless ;-)
    Last edited by jailbird; May 1st, 2012 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

gentlemen thanks for the pics that you shared, now i already have an idea... I am only a beginner, i hope you can help me more, so excited to join the tari session... have a nice day!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3ngin33r View Post
    gentlemen thanks for the pics that you shared, now i already have an idea... I am only a beginner, i hope you can help me more, so excited to join the tari session... have a nice day!!
    Yes pls come! Our good friend COMPETITOR flew in from overseas, learned to tie in one session, and proceeded to tie on his own on that very same session - and his bird scored a bullseye - one hit thats it!!! And against a very very good rooster from a top notch gamefarm!!!

Hey Rodel!!!! We will miss you this sunday!!!
    [IMG][/QUOTE][/IMG]

I just love this photo!
    Last edited by jailbird; May 1st, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The master gaffer in action!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG][/IMG]

That priceless WINNING SMILE!!!!!
    Last edited by jailbird; May 1st, 2012 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Hidalgo View Post
    Happiness is your order of STEEL for tare arriving : )

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...oPackaging.jpg
    Sir Joey, how much is the landed cost??

Perhaps the finished blades coming from that material will compliment my tari case.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice photos and stories upon sharing this all :-)

Post Thanks / Like

some tips for beginners na magpapatari.this is just one way to handle and secure your rooster habang tinatarian.para pag pumalag ang katawan at paa ng manok na hawak nyo ay maiwasan ang aksidente na masugat kayo ng tari.

This is Carlit, one of the old timer gaffers from ELORDE in Sucat Yes I hear he teaches also. Often times kalaban ko when we hack there : )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jack_kie View Post
    Sir Joey, how much is the landed cost??

Perhaps the finished blades coming from that material will compliment my tari case.

PM me if you want cut blades na or finished product and how many. If you want to order from abroad, you can contact the co. suggested in the thread also,review earlier correspondences,thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sirs for all this very informative discussions. A lot of us beginners will learn a lot from you guys. Keep on Sirs.

Post Thanks / Like

Join the taritari session!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jailbird View Post
    Thanks Sir!

Hope you can bring a slab of that steel with you on May 6 :-)

Partner, what i really want to learn how to do is how to serrate a tari blade ;-)

See you!

..............maybe this JB? serrated LK heheh

//

Post Thanks / Like

=BANDERADO;4102673]..............maybe this JB? serrated LK heheh

Thanks, yup! I would like to do that on my baby stag knives!

//[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you and more power to this activity sir! Hoping to meet new friends on May 6, this is Mark, husband of Michelle.

See you sir!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldenred View Post
    Thank you and more power to this activity sir! Hoping to meet new friends on May 6, this is Mark, husband of Michelle.

See you sir!!!
    See you this SUNDAY Mark! Bring your rejects or baldados so you can fight them - and gaff them too! This is one big fiesta with so much food pledged by everyone, and so many roosters and knife types! Exciting!!!
    Last edited by jailbird; May 1st, 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Its SUNDAY May 6th

See you all on Sunday at 7am at Starbucks Alabang Town Center before we convoy to the farm for the 5th invitational Tare Tare Session. Dont forget your birds, and food contribution

Best regards,