Thread: coccidiosis

Post Thanks / Like

coccidiosis

any noe have any experiance with using the new vaccine , i did a really good job of getting a head of the stuff this year by a new method i descovered with the 29% corid powder , how ever i would like to totally irradicate the issue as much as possible as fast as possible , if no one has used the vaccine , then i will continue to get ahead of it every yr tillits gone as possible as you can get it gone , thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: coccidiosis

Quote Originally Posted by borderlinefowl View Post
    any noe have any experiance with using the new vaccine , i did a really good job of getting a head of the stuff this year by a new method i descovered with the 29% corid powder , how ever i would like to totally irradicate the issue as much as possible as fast as possible , if no one has used the vaccine , then i will continue to get ahead of it every yr tillits gone as possible as you can get it gone , thanks in advance
    You know Borderline, I was wondering the same-thing, the program, I looked into at that time was more of a inoculation by exposing the young chicks to specifically bred strains of Coccidia, have they developed to actually being able to vaccinate? I figured, that the local strains would be the ones I was worried about and that the chicks would get a degree of exposure immunity by being raised with a hen. If you brooder raise I could see that it could be a benefit.
    Last edited by Mike Everett; November 23rd, 2011 at 05:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

mike the corid is accualy a great idea, the high percent poweder , recomends a 21 day regime for prevention , , squash that , and go for a full blown treatment and do it for 7-10 every other week for a month or 2 and walla , youve accually got ahead of it , by killing the oocist , they are not crapping live oocist out , and you cant od them on corid , this is why , corid is not a medication , it is a fruad , it is a mimic of thiamine , the oocist thrive by eating thiamine from our fowl , and they die sometimes in ful breat of malnutrition , so the corid , is manufactured to look like thiamine on a microscopic level , and the oocyst eat the mimic and they starve to death and die , not reproducing , so skip the prevention and get as much of the mimic in them as possible and there is less chance they eat the real thiamine , and in just 2 months time, you dont have to deal with it the rest of the year this has worked for me this year and my friend i explained this to and challanged to try and i bet it will further work next year both places , just somthing to think on and look into , and maybe give a try

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip Borderline, I'm having hell this year with coccidiosis and I don't know how to cure it or prevented! What would be the right dosage for a 10 day treatment?

Post Thanks / Like

i put one tablespoon , (just scooped in and taken out , no rounding off or tapering for accuaracy , just a table spoon) of corid 26-29% corid powder per gallon water

Post Thanks / Like

How old are the chicks when you start them on corid ?

Post Thanks / Like

round 2 weeks , if they aon the ground , if they in brooder away from the ground about a month ol when i put them on the ground but this is using a fresh brooder every year if you use the same brooder and dont totally 100 % disinfect it , creases and crannies and all , then use it in the brooder at 2 weeks and on till they 2 months ish old

Post Thanks / Like

I treat my chicks at 3 to 4 weeks old with one teaspoon Amprol to a gallon water for 5 days. Then about three weeks later before turning them on the range, I use Sulquin at 1 teaspoon per gallon water for three days then turn them loose. I also repeat using Sulquin for three days every month until the stags are locked up. Best to use a preventive measure than trying to cope or cure it as the stags will be thin breasted and hard to work with in the keep. Best to cull.

Post Thanks / Like

Apple Cider Vinegar, use it as a preventive measure. I teaspoon x liter of water. I regulates the PH also. I learned this from Irishcut a couple of years back, really works. ACV is one of the main ingredients for soaked oats too.

Post Thanks / Like

round 2 weeks , if they aon the ground , if they in brooder away from the ground about a month ol when i put them on the ground but this is using a fresh brooder every year if you use the same brooder and dont totally 100 % disinfect it , creases and crannies and all , then use it in the brooder at 2 weeks and on till they 2 months ish old
    Did you have a problem with cocci, and was the corrid the most effective method you've used. Do you think soaking oats in the corrid water and feeding that say one week a month will control cocci in the long run. I lost a few young stags today in my brooding room. They were all brothers strangely enough. They were half jap which also has me vexed as I would have thought they would be more resistant to cocci? Anyways I'll appreciate your opinion on the corrid and oats.
    Cocci, if you don't stay right on it it comes back to haunt yo you got to prevent it, not cure it.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i think if cocci isnt a big problem for you , prevention will work , but soaking it in the oats , i couldnt imagine it being as effective as just putting it inthe flock water jugs , umless your triing to prevent it in older stock in which ive never had a cocci problem in a bird over 3 months old , , and yes got to stay on top of it , but yes for my area location the corid was the most effective source of ridding the cocci , plus since it accually starves the uccyst, when the go out inthe poo , they are dead , not multiplying , but when treat with a sulfa some live some die , and some justy like head lice in children are new born into a very mild amount of the remnant of the solution helping them to build immunity to the sulfa drugs , so you need to kill them , all, best way to do that is the corid , becuase of how it is deigned to work

Post Thanks / Like

swith out corrid and albon every other time they will get immuned if you use one to much

Post Thanks / Like

they can not get immue to the corid it is not a medication it is a mimic of what they eat (thiamine ) on a microscopic level , there is no way for them to get immune to it , it is not absorbed it is injested and it does not kill them they think it is food , and since it has no true nutritional value , it starves them , there is no way to get immune to that , alot of people dont understand this , and dont study what they give ther birds , i for one , make it a point to understand what im doing and why , and i can tell you trhough a intensive research , corid will not build any kind of immunity , just cant

here is a good start to reading about it

http://www.corid.com/corid_products.html
    Last edited by borderlinefowl; December 12th, 2011 at 04:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the same method that I used as well, and found the prevention doses did not work, so I also went with the treatment doses. I try and hatch my fowl off early, I want to be done with most of my hatching by end of March, it is cold here so I do have to use lights,incubators and brooders.
    I keep in themside the house for the first 2 weeks giving vitamin and electrolytes in the water, my brooder is on legs 3 foot from the ground, so they stay in there for 4 weeks. Then they will be moved to the ground in a 4x8 pen, I will start there cocci treatment with the 29% corrid powder using the treatment doses for 5 days. Then it is one week without, then again the following week. Then 2 weeks later I'll run them another 5 day plan before I turn them out to free range.
    Last year was the first time I used this method and I did not loose one showing cocci symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told that corid will be removed from the market in the near future what is taking it's place and it is suppose to be just as good is AMPROL 128 has anyone heard of this ?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a coccidiosis vaccine call coccivac-D ITS expensive but it will end your problems.