Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book On Great American Breeders

Post Thanks / Like

Book On Great American Breeders

With the help of boxing great, Manny Pacquiao, a gamefowl enthusiast himself, I will be embarking on a 2 to 3-month journey to the hills and backwaters of the American continent to meet and interview the last of the great American gamefowl breeders. They will be featured in a book that I will write, "The Vanishing Breed," which I believe could be the last documentary of the people involved in gamefowls in America. With stricter state laws against gamefowl raising, I feel that it won't be long before the sport and the industry that goes along with it will vanish. I have already asked the help of my friend, Jim Clem, to identify the last few remaining great American gamefowl breeders. If you know anybody who should be included in the book, please suggest their names. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Book On Great American Breeders

Sir Immanuel, this such a great idea and very timely. Indeed with recent developments here in the US, gamefowl breeders are in a dilemma. What is worse is if and when they go or quit, they could be taking some of the outstanding breeds with them. For many, it is a passion they have pursued most of their lives that only our gamefowl community understands. I foresee this an excellent tribute to these legends, some have passed on, others retired or simply quit out of disgust and frustration. As I write, many breeders come to mind. Jerry Lawrence of Texas is one and we will have more names as you proceed on this great journey and laudable mission.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea immanuel!

I hope that pans out well

You should try and get Billy Ruble in it. Also other Northeastern cockers that fight short heels. We don't know much about them. All we know is Alabama I'm sure Mark Marsh can help you out with that.

Looking forward to reading it.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biak na bato View Post
    Sir Immanuel, this such a great idea and very timely. Indeed with recent developments here in the US, gamefowl breeders are in a dilemma. What is worse is if and when they go or quit, they could be taking some of the outstanding breeds with them. For many, it is a passion they have pursued most of their lives that only our gamefowl community understands. I foresee this an excellent tribute to these legends, some have passed on, others retired or simply quit out of disgust and frustration. As I write, many breeders come to mind. Jerry Lawrence of Texas is one and we will have more names as you proceed on this great journey and laudable mission.
    thank you for the very encouraging words.

actually, the idea of a book on the great american breeders was inspired by the recently released book "gradas" written by filipino author gracchus arinday which featured selected filipino breeders. the book, commissioned by lakpue drugs, was launched recently in bacolod city.

the book "the vanishing breed" will include many photos documenting the lives of these great american breeders including the fowls that their names are associated with.

off hand, i have in mind country folk singer ray price of texas who bred the ray price blacks, les melville of oregon, dink fair of louisianna, gary guilliam, junior belt, ray alexander, slim benoist and the many other unknown breeders in the mountains of america.

this could be a book that will quench our nostalgia when gamefowl raising shall have been wiped out in the american continent because of the vigorous campaign of the animal rights activists.

more names please, especially of lesser known breeders.
    Last edited by immanuel; November 28th, 2011 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny Jumpers of course just passed on but we are all interested in what made him click. Mel Sims supposedly just retired and Bobby Boles' name come out often. Jimmy East, Jr is still active but started with his father when he was 8 years old. Others still active that we hear are George Foster, Doyle Watson, Gene Batia, the Nesmiths, Ray Alexander, Bill Covington, Jim Clem as you know and many more who just keep on breeding but maintain a low profile. It is ironic that historically many breeders started in the East Coast perhaps because NY was a port of entry and many fowls arrived here. Now most of them are in the South (Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky) Southwest (Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas). Have a pleasant journey.

Post Thanks / Like

few names, Charles Greer of TN, George Neal of KY, Larry Romero, Andres Huron TX, let us know when book is out will be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Travis Clark should have some interesting stories to tell, he lost all his fowl to the **** one year and made a strong comeback along with taking some money from them for his loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Sir please include Bob Howard in your list of breeders. He won the WSC in the 90's maybe he can tell us more about what conditioning method he used and what breeds did he won during that time. When do you plan to publish your book sir? I will surely buy a copy and hopefully it will be signed by you. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Sir Immanuel, a good resource on the subject in the US is a fellow named Vency Maranan of New Jersey. He has studied, researched and talked to many of these breeders including those seldom mentioned. It is his passion so he knows the blood lines maintained by most of the breeders. He is, I think a collector of gamefowls including breeds we do not see or hear being talked about. It is tempting to have these collector's items particularly when you speak to some breeders who are just getting exhausted from these restrictive laws being passed and have indicated they are cutting down. It is sad and your book could probably cheer them up and encourage them to soldier on.

Post Thanks / Like

andre huron is fascinating, roger roberts, mark marsh for his family history, howard belk, john sears, dan gray, charles greer, ....

Post Thanks / Like

If you stop by Texas look up Dwain White, Bobby Jones, Slim Benoist, Mel Simms, very well know breeders

Post Thanks / Like

If its the Legends you are interested in, better not leave out Tom Hargus, Mike Ratliff, Red Hat, Charlie Johnson and Gary Gilliam when you are out west. If you visit East Tn, I could take you to visit Mr. Ronole Morris, he'll be one of the most interesting old time roostermen you'll even have the privilege to meet. Also Oscar Akins has been a legend through the years.

,Zac

Post Thanks / Like

yes, Gary Gilliam... only if a main can be arranged between Gilliam and Ramsey.

Post Thanks / Like

I am overwhelmed by the long list of great American breeders who could make it to the book.

Thank you all for your contributions. I will do my best to write a fitting tribute to this vanishing breed of men involved in a sport that is grossly misunderstood.

I expect that no less than 30 to 40 breeders, including those who have not even been heard of but have been involved in gamefowl raising for generations, will be featured.

It could take a year before the book will see print. Thank you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Gov. don't forget Bobby Jones and Bobby Payton, two good mcrae breeders, not sure where in the US they are now, so help on this my friends...

Oh and the Manziel family also...
    Aseel d Past, Present & Future - M.Romulo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cnucum View Post
    Gov. don't forget Bobby Jones and Bobby Payton, two good mcrae breeders, not sure where in the US they are now, so help on this my friends...

Oh and the Manziel family also...
    Bobby Payton is in Thorsby, Alabama. I'll be there with him this coming Thursday God willing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prietos2 View Post
    Bobby Payton is in Thorsby, Alabama. I'll be there with him this coming Thursday God willing.
    thanks prietos. please give mr. payton advance info on the book. jim and i should be in alabama early next year.

Post Thanks / Like

come to east kentucky,these hollers are full of great breeders

Post Thanks / Like

Sir Immanuel, somewhere in the book, perhaps it could be said that at least three American Presidents were gamefowl enthusiasts. Abraham Lincoln was one of them and others here could help name the other two. The last bastion, I believe was the State of Lousiana, where many of the sportsmen moved or established farms. It may have been in 2007 when all the fifty states considered the sport illegal and some imposed stiff penalties. I assume many have cut back and maintained only seed fowl or their signature lines. It is most interesting and fitting that some known breeders would accept customized orders. This way, inventory is kept to a minimum and in some instances only one or two customers would be needed to sustain a farm. At the end of the day, this sport is still grossly misunderstood.

Post Thanks / Like

Sir Immanuel, somewhere in the book, perhaps it could be said that at least three American Presidents were gamefowl enthusiasts. Abraham Lincoln was one of them and others here could help name the other two. The last bastion, I believe was the State of Lousiana, where many of the sportsmen moved or established farms. It may have been in 2007 when all the fifty states considered the sport illegal and some imposed stiff penalties. I assume many have cut back and maintained only seed fowl or their signature lines. It is most interesting and fitting that some known breeders would accept customized orders. This way, inventory is kept to a minimum and in some instances only one or two customers would be needed to sustain a farm. At the end of the day, this sport is still grossly misunderstood.
    1. George Washington
    2. Andrew Jackson
    3. Thomas Jefferson
    4. Abe Lincoln

Post Thanks / Like

sir Manny please include american asil breeders too like jerry hamlin,larry lingerfelt and others.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    sir Manny please include american asil breeders too like jerry hamlin,larry lingerfelt and others.....
    Funny I was just going through the post to mention them. Also gave thought to Katt Brazzell (not the sons) From RockHill and his contributions in US and PI back in early 1970's, Roy Guyer of TN of ALbany fame.MR Charlie Eidt of MS for the best RQ's arguably ever.Walter Hall for his Mugs Some are not the original breeders but pushed their familys to new heights of fame in their breeding programs.Could be a very long list maybe take a series of books-- Good luck with the book-As much as I admire and respect all those I mentioned Fowl if I could choose only one would be MR Charlie I got to see more of his win in his shows and in mine-and cant remember his name many years back the guy who won at MidAmerica several times with his hatch crossed with the Charlie Eidt RQ-Wins mentioned was in LA when was legal-Jim
    Last edited by j007; November 29th, 2011 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

oh was jess horta mentioned already?
    Aseel d Past, Present & Future - M.Romulo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    Great idea immanuel!

I hope that pans out well

You should try and get Billy Ruble in it. Also other Northeastern cockers that fight short heels. We don't know much about them. All we know is Alabama I'm sure Mark Marsh can help you out with that.

Looking forward to reading it.

Regards.
    Yes but we really like Alabama--lol--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea! Does anybody have any info on getting some facts on them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    1. George Washington
    2. Andrew Jackson
    3. Thomas Jefferson
    4. Abe Lincoln
    ^^^ True story right there lol!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I know joe sanford is in Ca if you go there look him up. He has been around a while and has won a few big ones to say the least!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j007 View Post
    Yes but we really like Alabama--lol--Jim
    ROLL TIDE ROLL............................

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to beat a dead horse. But that's why I asked people to join the A.G.B.A. $40.00, so we can keep on breeding gamefowl in our great state. Looks like that's what people really want is for this to be a thing of the past. Without help, that's what its going to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kywolf View Post
    come to east kentucky,these hollers are full of great breeders

I second that!

Can't wait to see this book published and good luck on your endeavors Immanuel.