Thread: fighting game cocks with long knife

Post Thanks / Like

fighting game cocks with long knife

when fighting game cocks with long knife how do you know which leg to put the knife on, it seems like the knife is on the same leg but what if "lets say" the rooster is left handed and the knife is on the right leg would it not be at a disadvantage? i mean people are left or right handed how do we know that fowls are not, if they are then a fowl can loose because the knife is on the wrong leg, i don't know i am just asking because i have been thinking about this for a while and need to know, cock fighting is so fast how do you choose the leg to use? or do everyone put it on the same leg and hope for the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fighting game cocks with long knife

you are either a small child or no nothing at all i could answer that at ten years old every knife goes on the left leg have you been under a rock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwoodall View Post
    you are either a small child or no nothing at all i could answer that at ten years old every knife goes on the left leg have you been under a rock

OK Dwoodall it is not that serious, i can see where they put it my question is why? who decide what leg to put it on? and how do you know which leg is dominant on that particular fowl? to answer your question that a 10 year old can answer i have been serving this country for 26 years yea it felt like i was under a rock but i am retired now and i am asking because i want to know, why is there always one in the group that has to be a smart ass? if you can't answer the question straight then just don't answer like so many have done before you! also when i fought fowls i used natural spurs i do not know about all these instruments that is used for me to understand i must ask. i have no intention on fighting my fowls but i want to know, don't forget the site is for serious game fowl discussion, not for smart ass game fowl discussion. and since you are so smart it is not no the correct spelling in know but i am not interested in belittling anybody.
    Last edited by overlord; December 5th, 2011 at 11:05 AM.

4. Likes treebark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience it is rare that they use the right leg to tie. I only seen two fights tied on the right and that was on hack fights where the person who had so much confidence because his bird was like 7pounds and didnt want to give odds. So the other person(6lbs) said if you tie on the right i will fight you. The 7 pounder won!

If you flick your bird upwards you will see almost 100% the left leg will throw more extended than the right. And when sparring/fighting you will see that the left leg is almost always stretched out more. Try it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCru View Post
    In my experience it is rare that they use the right leg to tie. I only seen two fights tied on the right and that was on hack fights where the person who had so much confidence because his bird was like 7pounds and didnt want to give odds. So the other person(6lbs) said if you tie on the right i will fight you. The 7 pounder won!

If you flick your bird upwards you will see almost 100% the left leg will throw more extended than the right. And when sparring/fighting you will see that the left leg is almost always stretched out more. Try it!

thank you so much, you have answered all my question without being smart about it, now i know, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwoodall View Post
    hahhahhaha u make laugh.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is almost the same as when people walk. Mostly I believe start with their left feet before they start with their right feet. If you're in the military, you're taught to march with your left foot first. I guess it to be the standard with everything.
    Last edited by Camarines; December 5th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by claretking View Post
    hahhahhaha u make laugh.

at least one of us thought he was a clown.

Post Thanks / Like

hey overlord to my understanding it goes on the left leg lk n sk,only gaff goes on both legs,im not sure if a rooster is right or left legged,but what i learned from old timers the reason its on the lft leg is to protect the gizzard which moves under his lft leg while his on point.....GAME TO DA END.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Camarines View Post
    I think that is almost the same as when people walk. Mostly I believe 'start with their left feet before they start with their right feet. If you're in the military, you taught tO mach with your left foot first. I guess it to be the standard with everything.

yea that might be the norm but remember that everyone do not start on their left foot and they do get out of step that is why you have someone calling cadence to keep everyone in step so you principle is not really valid.

Post Thanks / Like

overlord,

There is no answer to your question as to why the knife is tied on the left leg. It's just the way it's been done since time immemorial. Many say that since most people are right handed, it's naturally easier to tie on the left leg. It's not a scientific answer, just a practical one, and maybe that's the answer; I don't know for sure.

Same as why does the US drive on the left side of the road and England drives on the right? There is no answer for that either. It's just what both countries grew up with since the beginning and it's what they are used to. Neither one is better than the other, they both work, just a matter of culture. With regards to cockfighting, at least we are all universal in agreeing that the knife goes on the left leg.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like

i watched the slasher cups on youtube they have em tied on there left legs but i never seen knief fight or used that weapon i have same qustion why cant ya use rite leg. (when it legal) i always just showed in the gaff duke 74s being my favorties and they of course on both legs but i noticed ya watch a cock or stag most step left foot first but a few i noticed will step rite foot first so if he does favor the rite ant he at a diadvantge? and do ya have sk on both legs or just one???
    Last edited by coon hunter; December 5th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i watched the slasher cups on youtube they have em tied on there rite legs but i never seen knief fight or used that weapon i have same qustion why cant ya use left leg.
    Are you sure? You should watch the videos again and see which leg it's tied on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POOKELA View Post
    hey overlord to my understanding it goes on the left leg lk n sk,only gaff goes on both legs,im not sure if a rooster is right or left legged,but what i learned from old timers the reason its on the lft leg is to protect the gizzard which moves under his lft leg while his on point.....GAME TO DA END.....

thanks for the serious answer

Post Thanks / Like

No really....If u flick your bird in an upward shuffling motion u will see it!!! Try it!!! Or....hold your bird with each hand on each wing turn them upsidedown like a shuffling motion....hold it there and look what leg is extended!! Try it and let me know!!!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone i really appreciate the serious answers it is good to be able to ask questions and have knowledgeable people answer,

Post Thanks / Like

No really....If u flick your bird in an upward shuffling motion u will see it!!! Try it!!! Or....hold your bird with each hand on each wing turn them upsidedown like a shuffling motion....hold it there and look what leg is extended!! Try it and let me know!!!

i believe your answer to be an honest one thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha, u can try using the right leg. hahahaaha

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Sentenciador;3927358]overlord,

Many say that since most people are right handed, it's naturally easier to tie on the left leg.

Sentenciador is correct according to modern cocker book 3 page 16. It also mentions that a majority of gamefowl are left footed according to a university professor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coon hunter View Post
    i watched the slasher cups on youtube they have em tied on there left legs but i never seen knief fight or used that weapon i have same qustion why cant ya use rite leg. (when it legal) i always just showed in the gaff duke 74s being my favorties and they of course on both legs but i noticed ya watch a cock or stag most step left foot first but a few i noticed will step rite foot first so if he does favor the rite ant he at a diadvantge? and do ya have sk on both legs or just one???
    Earlier you said u had penny hatches that were good in sk n now u forgot if u use 1 or 2 sk's lol! Thats odd! U only tie one on!

Post Thanks / Like

i only raise ambidextrous fowl that way theres no question

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by orientexpress View Post
    Earlier you said u had penny hatches that were good in sk n now u forgot if u use 1 or 2 sk's lol! Thats odd! U only tie one on!
    .... LOL !!!!!!! now thats funny !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We hacked a rooster once that had knocked off his left spur. So we tied the 1" socket knife on his right leg, he won? So they will cut with both legs but left is better for several reasons, as above.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course most gaffers/knifemen are right-handed so it makes logical sense that the knife be tied on the left leg. I notice most times roosters reaches out futher with their left leg than his right.I've heard a theory that the rooster's crop sack is more towards the right side so thus his left leg reaches out more but i don't know for sure.I've tied two knives before when we were about a pound smaller than our opponent, just tying the right leg takes a little more time and doing it the opposite from tying the left side.I've once seen a fight between two master knifemen when the roosters were tied right leg and right leg...one of the quickest fights I ever saw,it took like 5 seconds!
    Last edited by deadlygaffer; December 6th, 2011 at 02:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by orientexpress View Post
    HHHHMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!