Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: RedQuills

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RedQuills

Quote Originally Posted by EPG5 Backyard View Post
    Just a few months ago Ron sent me a very young stag and a pretty hen that I don't know what her age is. The hen was single mated to my Johnny Moore Albany. Since my JM Albany is high station, slow and a power cock I thought to breed him to the Red Quill to hopefully produce a faster 2-way cross. As you can see it's too early to know what the outcome is.
    Albany Red Quill chicks - YouTube
    The Red Quill stag was bred last month to three of my 1/2 Jap - 1/2 Claret pullets, but didn't get many chicks, probably due to him being a weak contributor of sperm 'coz he is still young. Better luck with him in May I hope.
    EPG5 I am ignorant on the this Red Quill line and was wondering if you can share a little info on this line. What is so special about this breed?

Post Thanks / Like

In the history of the LACY RH, it was stated that an infusion of the Red Quill blood was made. Apparently, this was Judge Lacy's secret ingredient in producing a roundhead strain that is more of a flyer and a deadly single stoker. They say back then the LACY Roundhead was a hard target for the opponent that's why they usually won clean.

I'm hoping the so called 'Marvin Wilson' line of Red Quills will have a positive effect on what I breed them to. It's all trial and error; that's what breeding game fowl is about. THERE IS NO SURE THING.
    Last edited by EPG5 Backyard; March 26th, 2012 at 06:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

this is a one of the single mated pairs i use in my breeding , the dark side is almost gone i been using tht side for the light colored pullets it breeds out to go over my 2 lighter sides , very good american style birds

4. Likes Krackers Koop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice looking Quills there borderlinefowl

Post Thanks / Like

Bill Hull in Oklahoma has some redquills that are animals. He got them from up North in the 70's

Post Thanks / Like

thank you epg im quite fond of them ,

Post Thanks / Like

redquills are good for crossing speed into your power. theyre very fast and really nervous acting birds, so fast that they use most of their energy the first 3 minutes or so of the fight and if you havent won by then youre prob not going to

Post Thanks / Like

Red quill

Does anyone know who has the best red quill I'm looking to buy some I'm gettin back into the chicken business so any info or help is greatly apprciated thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Red quill

dr randall herring of tallassee alabama quills,sids,montgomery travelers,black mcraes,brassback butcher and albany, 334-283-5858 maybe this will help you in finding what your looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Red quill

Thnxs tht does help a lot I appreciate it

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of the cockerels that came out of my chocolate JM Albany crossed to my Red Quill hen........[Jan. 2012 born/hen hatched]

Post Thanks / Like

Pure redquill 18 months old.
    Untested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Red Quills

Quote Originally Posted by Sentenciador View Post
    Try Charlie Eidt or his kins. They are American.

He was a successful Redquill breeder.

I had a chance to mess around with them a while back, but not long enough. Too bad as I liked them very much.

Regards!
    Reb Williamson had Mr Charlies Redquills I raised them for years some of the Best I ever saw.Mr Charlie told me his family got them from Ireland and was in his family for 3 generations during that time they were added to twice once was Whitehackle then bred away from it he told me what the second was but been long time I have forgotten. Two of his better crosses with them was With his Charlie Eidt Buzzsaw Clarets and his Miner Blue Crosses I saw him win with both of those crosses.One of the Brood cocks I used for several years MR Charlie won with at Sunset he was a throwback in that was RQ in everyway but had red eyes.Good fowl could win anywhere the wins I saw was at Milkdairy and Birds of a Feather in LA>-Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lurena View Post
    EPG5 I am ignorant on the this Red Quill line and was wondering if you can share a little info on this line. What is so special about this breed?
    Johnny Moore and Roy Guyer were friends he and Roy had some of the same fowl I lived not far from Roy back in the mid 70's Roys favorite fowl at that time was his Albanys and what got my attention on them was they would throw a pumpkin one now and then out of his family.He shipped Reb Williamson some of them he loaned out some of the hens and I was later told was his partner well known for his Albanys his Albany will also throw pumpkin ones. I never found out the source of the pumpkin color but was striking and they were sure nuff good ones.-Jim

Post Thanks / Like

A quick question is redquoll different than a chet??

Post Thanks / Like

what do you think of this hen she is supposed to be atleast 1/2 redquill i dont know much about her... she does throw black biddies
    http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...enjess/018.jpg
    http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/a...enjess/017.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohsevenjess View Post
    what do you think of this hen she is supposed to be atleast 1/2 redquill i dont know much about her... she does throw black biddies
    She looks more like a BLUE to me, but I really don't know .

Post Thanks / Like

she has redquill in her.....is she a grey and quill cross? i have a blue cross to a redquill and this is how she looks like....

leiper cross to redquill....
    the mama redquill....

20. Likes Krackers Koop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes she very well could be grey, every biddie I've hatched out of her comes out chocolate colored instead of completely black... But so far out of 8, no yellow biddies what so ever thanks guys for your thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

do you have a pic of how chocolate color they are? im thinking of crossing the mama hen to a grey next season.

Post Thanks / Like

I sure don't have one right now but imagine The color of a milk chocolate candy bar like Hershey's.. That's almost the exact color. some a little lighter some a little darker

Post Thanks / Like

wow nice...just imagining it looks so beautiful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfury View Post
    My father breeds the old Bob Story Redquills. They are still being shown tough. Lil Bobby took some that were 1/2 RQ 1/4 grey 1/4 hatch to the last Hawaiian. If I remember right he scored 2 W 1 L
    Bob Story had some of the best Quills ive ever seen and the old man that ran the dillard pit back in the day had the same ones fed 2 shows for the heels at dillard and didnt go more than five pittings on any fights won 10 straight dang good fowl tried some crosses that didnt pan out never got enough of the straight ones to breed more than crosses

Post Thanks / Like

She's a redquill x blue. If she didn't have blue plumage she'd look like the leiper cross that IceBen posted.

IceBen - your redquill cross hen didn't inherit the pattern genes from the Redquill side. So she is what you call a lemon blue (blue version of the Brown Red pattern). The cock of this color looks like a yellow and blue version of a Brown Red.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j007 View Post
    Reb Williamson had Mr Charlies Redquills I raised them for years some of the Best I ever saw.Mr Charlie told me his family got them from Ireland and was in his family for 3 generations during that time they were added to twice once was Whitehackle then bred away from it he told me what the second was but been long time I have forgotten. Two of his better crosses with them was With his Charlie Eidt Buzzsaw Clarets and his Miner Blue Crosses I saw him win with both of those crosses.One of the Brood cocks I used for several years MR Charlie won with at Sunset he was a throwback in that was RQ in everyway but had red eyes.Good fowl could win anywhere the wins I saw was at Milkdairy and Birds of a Feather in LA>-Jim
    Funny you mentioned the Buzzsaws and the addition of the WH, i got a (throwback?) pumpkin colored stag that looks just like a WH. and med station.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny Moore and Roy Guyer were friends he and Roy had some of the same fowl I lived not far from Roy back in the mid 70's Roys favorite fowl at that time was his Albanys and what got my attention on them was they would throw a pumpkin one now and then out of his family.He shipped Reb Williamson some of them he loaned out some of the hens and I was later told was his partner well known for his Albanys his Albany will also throw pumpkin ones. I never found out the source of the pumpkin color but was striking and they were sure nuff good ones.-Jim
    This prob explains the pumpkin A's of C. Johnson..... ?? ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbait View Post
    Funny you mentioned the Buzzsaws and the addition of the WH, i got a (throwback?) pumpkin colored stag that looks just like a WH. and med station.
    He look something like this?

Post Thanks / Like

This is now the baby stag at almost 5 months old....1/2 Albany - 1/2 Red Quill......

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my 1st batch of 'pure' RED QUILLS (parents are Marvin Wilson line bred by Mr. Ron Lutz)........

32. Likes Krackers Koop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jim,

Here is a picture of the granddaughter of the old Redquill ace cock you gifted me a while back. Her mom is the daughter of your old RQ cock (she is 1/2 RQ 1/2 Wingate Brownred) and I bred her to your Brownred stag (CheroCreek Brownred). This baby pullet is the only surviving offspring of that mating. I really regret loosing that old RQ cock, never got the chance to breed him to my Buzzsaw hen. The guy where I got my Buzzsaw from got his start direct from Charlie Eidt some 40+ years ago and he is also familiar with the same story you shared about those Redquill/Buzzsaw crosses of Charlie Eidt.

And here is a pumpkin Albany stag I'm planning to breed to that Redquill pullet next year. Looks like an interesting blend to me. What do you think my friend?

34. Likes Krackers Koop liked this post