Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: RedQuills

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RedQuills

Yes TexasRed, that was written in articles from chicken men gone b fore us and most r true to. there are however still some very good true Quill familys around.Can say they are 100% Eslins though

they should have dark black eye, some will have mulberry faces, GL, SC and one character to notices is that the tail will be bronze. even if its a dark tail, there should be brownish bronze streaks and not a black tail.Some familys are more tiger striped than ginger, but those are traits that can be accomplished according to the preference of each breeder.Quills are a speed breed and known to topple an opponent quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the Eslins green legged?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rev-23;3936929]My redquills have black eyes blue legs and straight combs. I have no idea if they r eslins. But I do know they r fast strong dead game and can cut.[/QUOTE

Would you happen to have any Pics? Would relly like to see them.

Post Thanks / Like

therre is already a large redquill thread do a search in this forum and check it out

Post Thanks / Like

I had some really nice redquills at one time, I had ordered 2 pair from Dr.Herring, all were always black eyed,straight combed, and green legged, with bronze tails some ginger some tiger breasted, but one pair produced cold fowl, and the other pair produced good game ones. So having just the one pair I did not know where else to turn to for good game quills and didn't figure I could go far on the one pair.

Post Thanks / Like

what would the difference be on the RedQuill and Gingers Red Old English Game Fowl?

Post Thanks / Like

nava crosses red quill and claret ,and they are some fine roosters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roqueroqueroque View Post
    i thought all redquills have black eyes
    The Charlie Eidt Redquills will throw a rare red eyed one one of the Red eyed ones I got from MR Charlie back in early 1980 and used for a brood cock he won at Sunset. Family originated in Ireland I watched Mr Charlies enty win 3 straight shows with Redquill x Miner Blue and Redquill x Buzzsaw Claret at Milkdairy and Birds of a Feather in LA went to Natchez MS and got me some in 1981 and again in 1983.Time I got mine they had been in Mr Charlies family for 3 generations and had added to them twice once was Whitehackle which was probably where the red eye came in very successful line of Redquill I used them for many years put speed and cut cut cut in everything they were bred with the crosses winning very high % if you got Redquill from Mr Charlie you got good ones and if you got Redquill from Reb you got Mr Charlies redquill wish I still have mine went too long with them without adding a little something got very hard to raise and I eventually lost them what was left of them a friend wanted them and I sold him what was left of them never could find any RQ blood good enough to freshen them up with--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is n hawaii at the moment and she does al the picture loading for wen she gets back I will have her put some on here

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody acquired a red quill from Bosely of Virginia?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cabros View Post
    BIGG JOE,
    I'm interested to acquire a red quill stag. Do you sell some? If so, please pm me the price & your contact numbers & address.
    cabros
    Cabros ,I have only had these RQs about 6 mos.I bought the family from a friend having some money problems and have not had a chance to test them much yet. I dont sell birds but if their is a way to connect with you I wouldnt care to give you one to try. They are fast and athletic , seem to possess all the qualities of the RQs as far as having the correct feathering colors,etc. One quality I like about these is their shuffling,was really surprised at the shuffles these birds throw. Was not expecting the multiple strokes from the Quills. Think these came from Dalonega(spelling) Georgia originally. yfis,BIGG JOE oh yeah what testing I done has went well so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhammerFarm View Post
    I had some really nice redquills at one time, I had ordered 2 pair from Dr.Herring, all were always black eyed,straight combed, and green legged, with bronze tails some ginger some tiger breasted, but one pair produced cold fowl, and the other pair produced good game ones. So having just the one pair I did not know where else to turn to for good game quills and didn't figure I could go far on the one pair.

Doc got some good some not when we run short on cocks partner would feed some for the Doc I seen some of them you couldnt whoop with a stick and some that would rather be somewhere else and tried to go there-LOL overall hes got some good fowl some not so good he keeps some off color fowl from old lines some just played out or just wasnt good to start with but hes got some you can compete with anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Red quill. Old Marvin Wilson blood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGG JOE View Post
    Cabros ,I have only had these RQs about 6 mos.I bought the family from a friend having some money problems and have not had a chance to test them much yet. I dont sell birds but if their is a way to connect with you I wouldnt care to give you one to try. They are fast and athletic , seem to possess all the qualities of the RQs as far as having the correct feathering colors,etc. One quality I like about these is their shuffling,was really surprised at the shuffles these birds throw. Was not expecting the multiple strokes from the Quills. Think these came from Dalonega(spelling) Georgia originally. yfis,BIGG JOE oh yeah what testing I done has went well so far.
    BIGG JOE,
    Thank you, I just want to try a redquill in the long knife in the Philippines. What do you think is a good bloodline to cross with the redquill for the longknife? Pls pm me your contact numbers.
    take care,
    cabros

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cabros View Post
    BIGG JOE,
    Thank you, I just want to try a redquill in the long knife in the Philippines. What do you think is a good bloodline to cross with the redquill for the longknife? Pls pm me your contact numbers.
    take care,
    cabros
    I will pm you ,I think Albany and RedQuill will be one of my future crosses as well as Hatch naturally considering where I live,I say Albany for you just my opinion.yfis,BIGG JOE

Post Thanks / Like

We think what is happening w/ Doc Herring is that he is attempting to combine to many redquill families to try to "freshen up the blood"
    i spoke w/ doc Herring yrs ago and he was at the time w/ 15 different families of quills and had narrowed down till 5.I believe it would take a good 3 yrs single mated to find out if a family is somewhat solid and even then withing another 10 yrs something odd could show up. So finding a honest family of fowl especial the old one like Quill, Warhorse and so forth is alot of work and part luck!

here is my family of Quills.i think all Quills are beautiful!!

this family of Quills Started w/ an Eslin Roy Moore cock and Art Hephner hens. the old man breed them that way for over 30yrs
    Last edited by ivin; December 15th, 2011 at 03:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I will pm you ,I think Albany and RedQuill will be one of my future crosses as well as Hatch naturally considering where I live,I say Albany for you just my opinion.yfis,BIGG JOE
    BIGG JOE,
    Thanks, sent you a pm my friend. I'll call you at your convenient time.
    Take care,
    cabros

Post Thanks / Like

bred a white golden hulsey hen to a redquill....came out crazy lookin...can see the features of the redquill mixed with the pumpkin hulsey line......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POOKELA View Post
    bred a white golden hulsey hen to a redquill....came out crazy lookin...can see the features of the redquill mixed with the pumpkin hulsey line......
    like to see that ,got any pics ?

Post Thanks / Like

like to see that ,got any pics ?
    yeah big joe i will try get pictures,tryin to figure out how,got 5 brothers up in tenn at my partners farm,stags but big birds,5 lbs plus.....

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome looking redquills.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ivin View Post
    We think what is happening w/ Doc Herring is that he is attempting to combine to many redquill families to try to "freshen up the blood"
    i spoke w/ doc Herring yrs ago and he was at the time w/ 15 different families of quills and had narrowed down till 5.I believe it would take a good 3 yrs single mated to find out if a family is somewhat solid and even then withing another 10 yrs something odd could show up. So finding a honest family of fowl especial the old one like Quill, Warhorse and so forth is alot of work and part luck!

here is my family of Quills.i think all Quills are beautiful!!

this family of Quills Started w/ an Eslin Roy Moore cock and Art Hephner hens. the old man breed them that way for over 30yrs
    Some nice looking Quills those remind me of the Charlie Eidts I raised for years--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I been breeding Redquill x Brassback albany like the break on them still breeding a few of them this year got a stag came looking like a Spangled Redquill watched him on the yard this breeding was RQ cock over BBA hen like this breeding better than BBA over RQ. Back in the Day I have extremely good Luck with Redquill x SC Ruble Hatch with high% wins. I shipped a RQ back years ago to West coast he was bred over hatch hens they won several big derbys at MidAmerica with them. I do not have any RQ for sale dont really raise any got one cock that won out of a cock that won 4x I gifted the old 4x winner to Engkanto and 2 pullets left I use myself. To me the RQ are some of the most Beautiful and Deadly of old familys.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one albany hen ,and am thinking about crossing a redquill rooster over her.Have already put one of my Bates Mclean roosters over a RQ hen. Has anyone tried RQ over a good green leg grey family?,wondering what they might produce.BIGG JOE, pic. of broodcock(well bull stag) little wet in second pic.

Post Thanks / Like

Just posted a picture of one the Redquill x Brassback Albany on my photo Sabong photo gallery as I mentioned he looks like a spangled Redquill. My friend gets a chance to post it willbe on this post. Historically speaking when it was legal Very fast on break very fast very busy fowl win quick.Cool thing about crossing with the BBA dominate color is usually whatever family you cross them with with all the benefits of the Albany blood.This case all the offspring look like pure RQ but with livability and bottom.
    Last edited by j007; December 17th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim!
    Happy Holidays to u and yours!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j007 View Post
    I been breeding Redquill x Brassback albany like the break on them still breeding a few of them this year got a stag came looking like a Spangled Redquill watched him on the yard this breeding was RQ cock over BBA hen like this breeding better than BBA over RQ. Back in the Day I have extremely good Luck with Redquill x SC Ruble Hatch with high% wins. I shipped a RQ back years ago to West coast he was bred over hatch hens they won several big derbys at MidAmerica with them. I do not have any RQ for sale don't really raise any got one cock that won out of a cock that won 4x I gifted the old 4x winner to Engkanto and 2 pullets left I use myself. To me the RQ are some of the most Beautiful and Deadly of old familys.
    Here's a picture of Jim's RQ x BBA stag. Jim, how many RQ x BBA stags you hatched this year? He sure look nice.

And here's the 4x retired ace RQ cock Jim gifted me. Got a pullet out of him (bred him to a Wingate toppy hen).

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ga coondawg;3941176]I just spent the last half hour flipping thru your pics in the photo gallery... you have some great looking 'off colored' fowl, and those Brown Reds and Bruners look as good as any I have seen.

I have never been a fan of asil's or asil crossed, but ur gracils (especially the one on the teepee) Are real classy looking fowl.

Thanks I really like them some of the folks we hang with dont like them-LOL.The ones on Teepees was 6 of them all full brothers all Blue ribbon winners one went to friend for Brood cock 3 to Vietnam got one more of them probably going over to join them.Ojoe prob got the best story on them won gracil stag couple years ago on Christmas Drawing has won 8 Blue Ribbons and gonna show him some more.I do have some off color fowl some of it popped up in my familys but most times in crosses but all them earn their keep Mostly I breed my BBA,BR,Grey and asil and some of My partners and his stepdads Bruners along with few odds and ends to make crosses with.
    Last edited by j007; December 17th, 2011 at 02:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just acquired this young stag > Marvin Wilson line Red Quill from Mr. Ron Lutz (Kansas). The young stag and hen arrived in the Philippines in November 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Bout to get the tail in , This RQ has really been coming on as he has matured.