Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 441

Thread: RedQuills

  1. #241
    Member ivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Yes TexasRed, that was written in articles from chicken men gone b fore us and most r true to. there are however still some very good true Quill familys around.Can say they are 100% Eslins though

    they should have dark black eye, some will have mulberry faces, GL, SC and one character to notices is that the tail will be bronze. even if its a dark tail, there should be brownish bronze streaks and not a black tail.Some familys are more tiger striped than ginger, but those are traits that can be accomplished according to the preference of each breeder.Quills are a speed breed and known to topple an opponent quickly.

  2. #242
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Are the Eslins green legged?

  3. #243
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    [QUOTE=rev-23;3936929]My redquills have black eyes blue legs and straight combs. I have no idea if they r eslins. But I do know they r fast strong dead game and can cut.[/QUOTE

    Would you happen to have any Pics? Would relly like to see them.

  4. #244
    Senior Member borderlinefowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    www.borderlinefowl.com
    Posts
    743
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    therre is already a large redquill thread do a search in this forum and check it out

  5. #245
    Senior Member BlackhammerFarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    I had some really nice redquills at one time, I had ordered 2 pair from Dr.Herring, all were always black eyed,straight combed, and green legged, with bronze tails some ginger some tiger breasted, but one pair produced cold fowl, and the other pair produced good game ones. So having just the one pair I did not know where else to turn to for good game quills and didn't figure I could go far on the one pair.




  6. #246
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    what would the difference be on the RedQuill and Gingers Red Old English Game Fowl?

  7. #247
    Senior Member Windwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    nava crosses red quill and claret ,and they are some fine roosters

  8. #248
    Senior Member j007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by roqueroqueroque View Post
    i thought all redquills have black eyes
    The Charlie Eidt Redquills will throw a rare red eyed one one of the Red eyed ones I got from MR Charlie back in early 1980 and used for a brood cock he won at Sunset. Family originated in Ireland I watched Mr Charlies enty win 3 straight shows with Redquill x Miner Blue and Redquill x Buzzsaw Claret at Milkdairy and Birds of a Feather in LA went to Natchez MS and got me some in 1981 and again in 1983.Time I got mine they had been in Mr Charlies family for 3 generations and had added to them twice once was Whitehackle which was probably where the red eye came in very successful line of Redquill I used them for many years put speed and cut cut cut in everything they were bred with the crosses winning very high % if you got Redquill from Mr Charlie you got good ones and if you got Redquill from Reb you got Mr Charlies redquill wish I still have mine went too long with them without adding a little something got very hard to raise and I eventually lost them what was left of them a friend wanted them and I sold him what was left of them never could find any RQ blood good enough to freshen them up with--Jim

  9. #249
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    rooster yard
    Posts
    459
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    My wife is n hawaii at the moment and she does al the picture loading for wen she gets back I will have her put some on here

  10. #250
    Senior Member cabros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bacolod/new jersey usa
    Posts
    1,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Anybody acquired a red quill from Bosely of Virginia?

  11. #251
    Member BIGG JOE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    East Tenn.
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by cabros View Post
    BIGG JOE,
    I'm interested to acquire a red quill stag. Do you sell some? If so, please pm me the price & your contact numbers & address.
    cabros
    Cabros ,I have only had these RQs about 6 mos.I bought the family from a friend having some money problems and have not had a chance to test them much yet. I dont sell birds but if their is a way to connect with you I wouldnt care to give you one to try. They are fast and athletic , seem to possess all the qualities of the RQs as far as having the correct feathering colors,etc. One quality I like about these is their shuffling,was really surprised at the shuffles these birds throw. Was not expecting the multiple strokes from the Quills. Think these came from Dalonega(spelling) Georgia originally. yfis,BIGG JOE oh yeah what testing I done has went well so far.

  12. #252
    Senior Member j007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackhammerFarm View Post
    I had some really nice redquills at one time, I had ordered 2 pair from Dr.Herring, all were always black eyed,straight combed, and green legged, with bronze tails some ginger some tiger breasted, but one pair produced cold fowl, and the other pair produced good game ones. So having just the one pair I did not know where else to turn to for good game quills and didn't figure I could go far on the one pair.



    Doc got some good some not when we run short on cocks partner would feed some for the Doc I seen some of them you couldnt whoop with a stick and some that would rather be somewhere else and tried to go there-LOL overall hes got some good fowl some not so good he keeps some off color fowl from old lines some just played out or just wasnt good to start with but hes got some you can compete with anywhere.

  13. #253
    Member Goldenbirchens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Red quill. Old Marvin Wilson blood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #254
    Senior Member cabros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bacolod/new jersey usa
    Posts
    1,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGG JOE View Post
    Cabros ,I have only had these RQs about 6 mos.I bought the family from a friend having some money problems and have not had a chance to test them much yet. I dont sell birds but if their is a way to connect with you I wouldnt care to give you one to try. They are fast and athletic , seem to possess all the qualities of the RQs as far as having the correct feathering colors,etc. One quality I like about these is their shuffling,was really surprised at the shuffles these birds throw. Was not expecting the multiple strokes from the Quills. Think these came from Dalonega(spelling) Georgia originally. yfis,BIGG JOE oh yeah what testing I done has went well so far.
    BIGG JOE,
    Thank you, I just want to try a redquill in the long knife in the Philippines. What do you think is a good bloodline to cross with the redquill for the longknife? Pls pm me your contact numbers.
    take care,
    cabros

  15. #255
    Member BIGG JOE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    East Tenn.
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by cabros View Post
    BIGG JOE,
    Thank you, I just want to try a redquill in the long knife in the Philippines. What do you think is a good bloodline to cross with the redquill for the longknife? Pls pm me your contact numbers.
    take care,
    cabros
    I will pm you ,I think Albany and RedQuill will be one of my future crosses as well as Hatch naturally considering where I live,I say Albany for you just my opinion.yfis,BIGG JOE

  16. #256
    Member ivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    We think what is happening w/ Doc Herring is that he is attempting to combine to many redquill families to try to "freshen up the blood"
    i spoke w/ doc Herring yrs ago and he was at the time w/ 15 different families of quills and had narrowed down till 5.I believe it would take a good 3 yrs single mated to find out if a family is somewhat solid and even then withing another 10 yrs something odd could show up. So finding a honest family of fowl especial the old one like Quill, Warhorse and so forth is alot of work and part luck!

    here is my family of Quills.i think all Quills are beautiful!!




    this family of Quills Started w/ an Eslin Roy Moore cock and Art Hephner hens. the old man breed them that way for over 30yrs
    Last edited by ivin; December 15th, 2011 at 03:35 AM.

  17. #257
    Senior Member cabros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    bacolod/new jersey usa
    Posts
    1,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGG JOE View Post
    I will pm you ,I think Albany and RedQuill will be one of my future crosses as well as Hatch naturally considering where I live,I say Albany for you just my opinion.yfis,BIGG JOE
    BIGG JOE,
    Thanks, sent you a pm my friend. I'll call you at your convenient time.
    Take care,
    cabros

  18. #258
    Senior Member POOKELA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    HAWAII-OREGON
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    bred a white golden hulsey hen to a redquill....came out crazy lookin...can see the features of the redquill mixed with the pumpkin hulsey line......

  19. #259
    Member BIGG JOE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    East Tenn.
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by POOKELA View Post
    bred a white golden hulsey hen to a redquill....came out crazy lookin...can see the features of the redquill mixed with the pumpkin hulsey line......
    like to see that ,got any pics ?

  20. #260
    Senior Member POOKELA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    HAWAII-OREGON
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by BIGG JOE View Post
    like to see that ,got any pics ?
    yeah big joe i will try get pictures,tryin to figure out how,got 5 brothers up in tenn at my partners farm,stags but big birds,5 lbs plus.....

  21. #261
    Member sixfeetunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    angeles city pampanga/illinois USA
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Awesome looking redquills.........

  22. #262
    Senior Member j007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by ivin View Post
    We think what is happening w/ Doc Herring is that he is attempting to combine to many redquill families to try to "freshen up the blood"
    i spoke w/ doc Herring yrs ago and he was at the time w/ 15 different families of quills and had narrowed down till 5.I believe it would take a good 3 yrs single mated to find out if a family is somewhat solid and even then withing another 10 yrs something odd could show up. So finding a honest family of fowl especial the old one like Quill, Warhorse and so forth is alot of work and part luck!

    here is my family of Quills.i think all Quills are beautiful!!




    this family of Quills Started w/ an Eslin Roy Moore cock and Art Hephner hens. the old man breed them that way for over 30yrs
    Some nice looking Quills those remind me of the Charlie Eidts I raised for years--Jim

  23. #263
    Senior Member j007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    I been breeding Redquill x Brassback albany like the break on them still breeding a few of them this year got a stag came looking like a Spangled Redquill watched him on the yard this breeding was RQ cock over BBA hen like this breeding better than BBA over RQ. Back in the Day I have extremely good Luck with Redquill x SC Ruble Hatch with high% wins. I shipped a RQ back years ago to West coast he was bred over hatch hens they won several big derbys at MidAmerica with them. I do not have any RQ for sale dont really raise any got one cock that won out of a cock that won 4x I gifted the old 4x winner to Engkanto and 2 pullets left I use myself. To me the RQ are some of the most Beautiful and Deadly of old familys.

  24. #264
    Member BIGG JOE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    East Tenn.
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    I have one albany hen ,and am thinking about crossing a redquill rooster over her.Have already put one of my Bates Mclean roosters over a RQ hen. Has anyone tried RQ over a good green leg grey family?,wondering what they might produce.BIGG JOE, pic. of broodcock(well bull stag) little wet in second pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #265
    Senior Member j007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Just posted a picture of one the Redquill x Brassback Albany on my photo Sabong photo gallery as I mentioned he looks like a spangled Redquill. My friend gets a chance to post it willbe on this post. Historically speaking when it was legal Very fast on break very fast very busy fowl win quick.Cool thing about crossing with the BBA dominate color is usually whatever family you cross them with with all the benefits of the Albany blood.This case all the offspring look like pure RQ but with livability and bottom.
    Last edited by j007; December 17th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.

  26. #266
    Member ivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Thanks Jim!
    Happy Holidays to u and yours!

  27. #267
    Senior Member Engkanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Balete Tree
    Posts
    1,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Quote Originally Posted by j007 View Post
    I been breeding Redquill x Brassback albany like the break on them still breeding a few of them this year got a stag came looking like a Spangled Redquill watched him on the yard this breeding was RQ cock over BBA hen like this breeding better than BBA over RQ. Back in the Day I have extremely good Luck with Redquill x SC Ruble Hatch with high% wins. I shipped a RQ back years ago to West coast he was bred over hatch hens they won several big derbys at MidAmerica with them. I do not have any RQ for sale don't really raise any got one cock that won out of a cock that won 4x I gifted the old 4x winner to Engkanto and 2 pullets left I use myself. To me the RQ are some of the most Beautiful and Deadly of old familys.
    Here's a picture of Jim's RQ x BBA stag. Jim, how many RQ x BBA stags you hatched this year? He sure look nice.



    And here's the 4x retired ace RQ cock Jim gifted me. Got a pullet out of him (bred him to a Wingate toppy hen).




  28. #268
    Senior Member j007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    [QUOTE=ga coondawg;3941176]I just spent the last half hour flipping thru your pics in the photo gallery... you have some great looking 'off colored' fowl, and those Brown Reds and Bruners look as good as any I have seen.

    I have never been a fan of asil's or asil crossed, but ur gracils (especially the one on the teepee) Are real classy looking fowl.

    Thanks I really like them some of the folks we hang with dont like them-LOL.The ones on Teepees was 6 of them all full brothers all Blue ribbon winners one went to friend for Brood cock 3 to Vietnam got one more of them probably going over to join them.Ojoe prob got the best story on them won gracil stag couple years ago on Christmas Drawing has won 8 Blue Ribbons and gonna show him some more.I do have some off color fowl some of it popped up in my familys but most times in crosses but all them earn their keep Mostly I breed my BBA,BR,Grey and asil and some of My partners and his stepdads Bruners along with few odds and ends to make crosses with.
    Last edited by j007; December 17th, 2011 at 02:43 PM.

  29. #269
    Cyberfriends EPG5 Backyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,479
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills


    I just acquired this young stag > Marvin Wilson line Red Quill from Mr. Ron Lutz (Kansas). The young stag and hen arrived in the Philippines in November 2011.

  30. #270
    Member BIGG JOE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    East Tenn.
    Posts
    370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: RedQuills

    Bout to get the tail in , This RQ has really been coming on as he has matured.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Similar Threads

  1. Redquills
    By SRobles in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 9th, 2013, 02:43 PM
  2. Redquills
    By branden81 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 16th, 2011, 11:42 AM
  3. Doc Herring Redquills
    By 5knuckleshuffle in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM
  4. why not so much interest in redquills in PI just curious
    By BlackhammerFarm in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: August 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
  5. redquills
    By myf2223 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 31st, 2009, 09:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •