Thread: Does Bigger Space make a better Bird or Does the Breeder make a better bird?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Does Bigger Space make a better Bird or Does the Breeder make a better bird?

I am a Breeder of my own as many of you do as well..Some of us have more space then others...Does "Space really Matter" or is it "The hand of the Breeder" regardless of space that makes a Better Bird?.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Bigger Space make a better Bird or Does the Breeder make a better bird?

Bigger space does not make better birds but healthier ones since there is no overcrowding and spaces betwee tie-cords are wider. Better birds are from the broodfowls you start with in your breeding program

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Bigger Space make a better Bird or Does the Breeder make a better bird?

I agree with Dragon Storm. a good breeder with a good eye helps alot too

Post Thanks / Like

The breeder makes a better bird  Doesn't matter how much space you have.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the breeder makes the rooster. I also belive that more space is better as well. All things being equal more space will just make a particular rooster better. Try and farm walk a well bread rooster feed him good feed everyday he will destroy another rooster raised in a small coop. That's if they were equal ability to start with.

Aloha,

Diesel

Post Thanks / Like

i personally believe that it dosent really matter on how much space u got it all depends on how u take care of the fowl is wat matters the most!! I mean of course if u can afford the land and space for ur fowl that would be great but not evryone can afford to get that!! i cant free range my stags so i like to rotate them on a dailly basis and give them a few flys on the table also not much but it keeps them in shape and helps them to get the proper work outs they would as if they were free ranging!! they also become much easier to handle and are a lot more tame wen i handle them as stags!!! so i guess I would say that a good rooster man will always come out with the better fowl!! big farm or small farm!!

Post Thanks / Like

The breeder and bloodlines make a differance. space is good if u can range stags and walk cocks because they will will be the healthiest and in the best shape raise like this but theres no substitute for good genetics.
    Yfis
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it does, IF your bird is already good to begin with. In breeding there is Genotype (the Bloodline, Pedigree) and Phenotype (the Environment; where the animal lives)

You need to be excellent in both these aspects to be succesful.

A cock with excellent pedigree and blood can be ruined in a bad environment. And a dunghill will always be a dunghill despite his first class feed and accomodations.

Thanks!

9. Likes reymarlang liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my old mentor swears that if you cage stags as earley as 4 months in small coops 2 feet wide 2 fett high they will grow faster and wont get as sick as the ones you raise on cord or flypens ..i dont really know..by the time the stags reach 1 year then you can trasfer them to the fly pens or scratch pens ..by doing this they dont get internal and external parasites as common and the advantage is that you can tame them faster....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rogelio Monzon View Post
    my old mentor swears that if you cage stags as earley as 4 months in small coops 2 feet wide 2 fett high they will grow faster and wont get as sick as the ones you raise on cord or flypens ..i dont really know..by the time the stags reach 1 year then you can trasfer them to the fly pens or scratch pens ..by doing this they dont get internal and external parasites as common and the advantage is that you can tame them faster....
    In my opinion the larger the space the better your fowl will be.. If you provide grass, clean water , rotation of the birds, a tie cord every now in then, etc your warriors will be in better shape and alot healthier... I dont know about keeping them in a 2x2 pen, you would have to clean its sh*t everyday.. Just my opinion... Good Luck..

Post Thanks / Like

try to spar a stag at the same age and quality, the one that grow on the range and the one on the cage and you will see the big difference, the first thing that you will notice is the stamina and power.

Post Thanks / Like

The rooster is 50% breeding and 50% enviroment so it's not either or but BOTH. There are VERY FEW true breeders of fowl, MANY raising fowl but FEW breeders. Can U take a FAMILY of fowl, STICK WITH them and make good fowl by SELECTION?.... If so U are a BREEDER.... Then comes enviroment, more than the size of the pen it is SOIL, soil must have the MINERALS necessary for DEVELOPING STRONG VIGIROUS fowl.....MOST rooster yards are DEPLETED soil and this is MAJOR!

Post Thanks / Like

A breeder that knows what he's doing in a one acre or one hectare lot can produce good fowls could compete toe to toe with other cockers using 5 or 10 acre/hectare properties. So, it's the Breeder that makes better birds and not the size of the space in this case. However, a good breeder can not do anything in a very very small space. My 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

i knew an old man ( deceased ) that raised whitehackles only. he kept them in small pens i mean like 2x2 but they could go toe to toe with any fowl

Post Thanks / Like

it takes EVERTHING combined.there are no short cuts to raising good high quality fowl.they must be well breed,healthy with plenty of room to develop an maintian their health an keep them mentally sound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say both. Space gives your bird the ability to grow to his maximum potential, while the feeder provides all the nutrients and space that the rooster needs so both i think

Post Thanks / Like

if you have a single cock and some hens on a piece of property that can range that cock will always be on point he knows how much to drink and eat back in the day when it was legal if you let your cock free range you could pick him up and take him to a fight and have great chances of winning but like most of us we do not have the property to place single cocks on but if i did that is what i would do

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Does Bigger Space make a better Bird or Does the Breeder make a better bird?

[Im a beginner]

I Think of it this way, single mate,or more i would use a 4W x 8L x 8H.
    Chicks 1 day old: i would put them all together in a 4w x 2L x 2H (marked ofcourse)
    Chicks 1-4 Months old: (depends) i would put them in a 4W x 8L x 6H.
    4 Months or Older: i would put them individually in a 4W x 4L x 4H.
    just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by twodollars View Post
    if you have a single cock and some hens on a piece of property that can range that cock will always be on point he knows how much to drink and eat back in the day when it was legal if you let your cock free range you could pick him up and take him to a fight and have great chances of winning but like most of us we do not have the property to place single cocks on but if i did that is what i would do

I have my leipers this way, my cock is always very alert and ready to go, Im thinking of finding a few farms around here to let me put a trio on each farm and see what happens. The farm walk is great for those who can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read in grit and steel that (assuming you have decent fowl) that pretty much all you have to do mostly is "out work" your competition. I believe this because if your rooster has more gas, then the only way they could win is with a lucky shot or just better tactics. So out work everyone and you should come out with a fairly high %.

Post Thanks / Like

deep gameness makes upi on yall's theories boy's. you have a 50 /50 chance on eithor way you choose. so treat ur bird's well an they will treat you well. but gameness is were the money is. combine that with a good keep an ur unstoppable
    \

Post Thanks / Like

in my oppinion you need both, good fowls to start with proper selection proper feeding methods and most important bigger space,for the young to range there is definately a diffrence when fowls are ranged better produce and less culls and always good selection to breed the next year, bigger cages are a plus when penning stags,the stags move more trow feed better healthier and more mentally happy,in my opinnion i feel bigger space is always better ,yis roland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweaterkiller View Post
    in my oppinion you need both, good fowls to start with proper selection proper feeding methods and most important bigger space,for the young to range there is definately a diffrence when fowls are ranged better produce and less culls and always good selection to breed the next year, bigger cages are a plus when penning stags,the stags move more trow feed better healthier and more mentally happy,in my opinnion i feel bigger space is always better ,yis roland
    I am about to say this....