Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Keeps

Post Thanks / Like

Good Keeps

Lets get a good diccussion about keeps and methods!!! Ive got almost every big name keep and seen most of the others lol im looking for driskell. Ive not seen it yet

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good Keeps

Do you have mike ratliff's keep that a real good one

3. Likes danitor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok after months of doing my research on this website ..I still have no clue when it comes to the keep ..im a young newbie ..is any one willing to help me out. Pm me plz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHOWBIZZ View Post
    Do you have mike ratliff's keep that a real good one
    No we dont, do you care to share it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joero21 View Post
    Ok after months of doing my research on this website ..I still have no clue when it comes to the keep ..im a young newbie ..is any one willing to help me out. Pm me plz

Alright young blood buckle up. A keep is a way to condition your cock be for you show it. All keeps are different and most of them are well kept secrets. They last any where from 3 days to 4 weeks probly some longer. You put your rooster in a keep box every day or night witch ever how you do it and feed them special food give them shots pills work them out what ever the case maybe. You do this for how ever long your keep is and when you do your show your birds will be in tip Top shape. Most people won't tell you there keep cause they don't want to show aginst a rooster on their keep. But there are plenty keeps that have leaked out over the years and I'm sure you can find one that works for you. One day we might be asking you for your keep. Good luck

Wes

7. Likes finchiestiffler, sinapangan, Riverrat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i fed driskell and gave it good attention and tried it a few times, i have never seen a more INCONSISTANT KEEP! I would recommend any keep before this one personally.

9. Thanks Boss4213 thanked for this post
    Likes RHman1026 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

charlie carrs keep,with a few little tweeks,is a good starting place....

Post Thanks / Like

can do's keeps is one of the best for the money I like it as a good base keep of course i got some set in stone things that i will add or change on keep that makes feeding alot less of a chore.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to see a bunch of keep videos so far!!! i got to see the coaches video, the charlie carr video, the nite owl video and even got to see the working mans keep!! and boy let me tell u wat!! it was pretty much watching the same thing over and over jus maybe a little difference in working and feeding and supplements!! alot of the medications and rotating and resting pointing methods all pretty much close to the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grayfoxthe5th View Post
    Alright young blood buckle up. A keep is a way to condition your cock be for you show it. All keeps are different and most of them are well kept secrets. They last any where from 3 days to 4 weeks probly some longer. You put your rooster in a keep box every day or night witch ever how you do it and feed them special food give them shots pills work them out what ever the case maybe. You do this for how ever long your keep is and when you do your show your birds will be in tip Top shape. Most people won't tell you there keep cause they don't want to show aginst a rooster on their keep. But there are plenty keeps that have leaked out over the years and I'm sure you can find one that works for you. One day we might be asking you for your keep. Good luck

Wes
    Thanks for the info. ..im sure ill get better at this in time

Post Thanks / Like

.I have charlie carrs keep. And ronnie tenn pattersons keep. I really like charlies, it wrks 4 me. I have tweeked it a lil 2 fit my wrk schedule. But it really is a good foundation keep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jay daguio View Post
    I got to see a bunch of keep videos so far!!! i got to see the coaches video, the charlie carr video, the nite owl video and even got to see the working mans keep!! and boy let me tell u wat!! it was pretty much watching the same thing over and over jus maybe a little difference in working and feeding and supplements!! alot of the medications and rotating and resting pointing methods all pretty much close to the same!!
    Where would I find these videos at? ??....

Post Thanks / Like

The best keep for anyone new to this sport is the 365 keep!!
    That means give your fowl the best of care 365 days a year. Keep them free of all disease and parasites (internal & external). Male sure they get plenty of good green grass and don't crowd them!! This will win more for you than anything!! You have to have healthy fowl no exceptions!!

17. Likes E.Mullen, southernX liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L~n~C Combine View Post
    The best keep for anyone new to this sport is the 365 keep!!
    That means give your fowl the best of care 365 days a year. Keep them free of all disease and parasites (internal & external). Male sure they get plenty of good green grass and don't crowd them!! This will win more for you than anything!! You have to have healthy fowl no exceptions!!
    I agree!!! I have the hy-roller and coaches keep and video. It's somewhere in the drawer dusted up for future reference. It was too time consuming as I got older with more responsibilities. But the 365 keep works the best and well for us now!!!

19. Thanks ZEKE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More roosters are hurt during the keep than helped. If a person was used to sitting on a chair for two years no previous exercise, then forced to run and work until their muscles were sore for two weeks, is he gonna be able to perform at his best ability? Not a chance. Your best bet is to keep them somewhat in shape all year long. Switch them out into different pens (Fly pen, scratch pen, tie cord, etc.) every two weeks for life. Keep your tie cords on a hillside to keep their legs strong but not overly tight so that cutting ability is not affected. Keep your feed and water cups close to the roost pole so that they will build up strength in their wings. Make swinging roost poles so they learn to maintain balance as well. This work is done all year around and is less stressful to the birds because it becomes part of their everyday lives. This along with good feed, clean water, keeping them free of parasites, and a good pointing method, will put you at a great advantage going into the pit. The rest is up to the birds natural ability, the heeler, and the handler. Before all of this, I find it best to let them free range when they are young so they can develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyCocker View Post
    More roosters are hurt during the keep than helped. If a person was used to sitting on a chair for two years no previous exercise, then forced to run and work until their muscles were sore for two weeks, is he gonna be able to perform at his best ability? Not a chance. Your best bet is to keep them somewhat in shape all year long. Switch them out into different pens (Fly pen, scratch pen, tie cord, etc.) every two weeks for life. Keep your tie cords on a hillside to keep their legs strong but not overly tight so that cutting ability is not affected. Keep your feed and water cups close to the roost pole so that they will build up strength in their wings. Make swinging roost poles so they learn to maintain balance as well. This work is done all year around and is less stressful to the birds because it becomes part of their everyday lives. This along with good feed, clean water, keeping them free of parasites, and a good pointing method, will put you at a great advantage going into the pit. The rest is up to the birds natural ability, the heeler, and the handler. Before all of this, I find it best to let them free range when they are young so they can develop.
    Very good advice KentuckyCocker!!!
    I have seen so many people who would do better off of tie cords than attempting to put their fowl through a keep!! Conditioning is one thing but my personal opinion is that most peopl screw up in the pointing process also but hey it's just my opinion!!

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good advice here but there are no shortcuts when it comes to conditioning. no amount of video can make you a good conditioner. a lot of practice until you get the right feel for your breed of fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Very important is starting with a good prekeep, 365 day long prekeep is best of course. Get them lean and mean, well feathered and solid health and they will fly through a moderate, simple keep and perform very well, if they are the good ones. Last week I had 3 brothers I just didn't like when sparred (they were slow starters and would duck suddenly) but they had great bodies, were super healthy and had no blemishes whatsoever. I didn't have the heart to cull them without giving them a chance, so I put them through a keep, pointed them and took em to a cheap 3 cock on new years. Well, first two won with ease (despite their ducking LOL) and I got in the option money. Then lost the money fight in a great battle, guy who beat me for the money took it solo. I left with good spirits those little roosters achieved more than I expected from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Ed Bentley keep if anyone has it still I'll buy it no problem straw shaker

Post Thanks / Like

Ya a lot of people mess a bird up in a keep just keep them guys happy and healthy and not fat a keep is just for fine tuning before show day you can't take a dunghill and make a ace out of him in any keep you can't make them do what's not breed in them to do the best keep is keep it simple and learn how to get them son of a guns healthy

26. Likes cf3, CA whitetoppy06, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

old timers who attended Mike's school know or who ever got his tapes know that, the long method that he describes to succeed in the sport is the right way.. because it goes back to the core of the sport and takes you to the very end.. and to me and many other cockers around the world was, is, and will be the best and his method proved it , he spent his entire life devoted to his chickens and that made him very successful and earned respect among his fellow cockers.

28. Likes southernX, cf3, Resendiz74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose the best keep I've used is the 1 I'm using now which is rotation with no injected vitamins only pills why because every time I inject a vitamin into my fowl they always seem to get down and I believe that with pills they really just use what they need and excrete the rest I've had a bigger winning percentage than ever this last season I started the season using injected B complex but towards the end stopped using it and saw a much better results a lot of cockerss don't like sparring their file but I've noticed that if you don't spar you don't get all the rest out of their muscles especially if they're not used to flying doing stuff in Big cages so I try to spart lightly I would say at least 3 times a week the first two weeks and then twice the last the fourth week and on the 5th week I don't spar mainly this is done so that they realize they need to hit first before they get hit and it helps a lot I just gotta you gotta take care of the feathersp
    Last edited by mr. tj; October 14th, 2015 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Boys let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill I'm saying this from 40 years experience in this sport it don't take much to feed a chicken out any good rooster will work their self out with very little help from u if he won't work in the fly pen he won't work in the brood pen as far as pointing goes give him something in the keep that he's never had before like grapefruit, apple's, oranges, mixed nuts, rice mixed in sardines soaked in hot sauce, rice with sugar added to it most important thing to do in pointing one out is get him empty but not so empty that he's weak and giving him egg whites and crack corn is a good way to get them weak keep in mind u can't feed all roosters out the same way pea comb roosters guts r smaller than a straight comb rooster u want to feed them stuff that's easy in and easy out it's important with the feed how it goes in and how it comes out for 40 years 9 months out of the year I conditioned handled and helped my papaw breed chickens and in that 40 years of me doing that I've learned one thing they r 3 types of chicken men that being feeders, breeders, and handlers u can be good at all 3 but you'll only be master of one

31. Thanks cf3, lawgreyman14 thanked for this post
    Likes cf3, CA whitetoppy06, lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsygamefarm View Post
    Ya a lot of people mess a bird up in a keep just keep them guys happy and healthy and not fat a keep is just for fine tuning before show day you can't take a dunghill and make a ace out of him in any keep you can't make them do what's not breed in them to do the best keep is keep it simple and learn how to get them son of a guns healthy
    You can only improve them 10% and you can mess them up a 100%. Knowing good roosters and when they are ready to be put in a keep. The feel has to be learned but easier if some one is there to teach you. This is why I think cockers schools put out so many "the light switch was turned ON feeders"!

If you are gonna work them Mike Ratliff. No work bench Charlie Carr's . Tarheel gave a free one in Gamecock I did my best years working birds like he said.
    Super good health is the key. To much of a "good thing" is poison too!
    My 2 cents on every thing. "When you run out of poultry, you run out of Luck" Timmy Thagards words to this day still worth repeating

Post Thanks / Like

Good one Bama. When you get Mike Ratliff keep right they are very hard to beat.
    If you want to do fly Pen keep then you better know what to feed and more importantly how much go feed.

I tried fly pen. Got their weight wrong and no good. If you get their weights right and sharp, cutting machines.

I have gotten them Right on hand work and you can't hardly beat them if they are sharp.
    Good roosters make good feeders unless you really get it wrong.

I would consider myself an intermediate feeder still learning and improving.

34. Likes danitor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If u r using mike ratliffs keep I promise your birds will have the best stamina because he works the hell out of his birds. I like it especially for the gaff.

36. Likes TopNotchfarms, danitor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The fly pen keep works well for me but I use steroid pills for roosters made by Vetinova it seems to keep them happy and working all the time plus any extra fat they have on their body they burn off on their own when I used to fly my cock to the table I would notice that their legs would get hard I never really understood why since your actually working the wings but they would lose cut while gaining a lot of power resistance but since in the Knife competition 75% of the time the cock that cuts first win the I tend to try to get my cocks loose so that they cut faster

38. Likes roostercm, sinapangan, gaff liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How would I get my hands on these keeps. Is there a video or book? Would be interested to read just to pick my brain a bit. Lmk guys thanks yfis

Post Thanks / Like

When I was 17 I won my first Derby using a combination of keeps the base keep is the Jesse cabalaza keep that I found on this site and the Filipino Slasher keep. Oh and yea I used it at a Mexican show hehehe good luck guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. tj View Post
    I suppose the best keep I've used is the 1 I'm using now which is rotation with no injected vitamins only pills why because every time I inject a vitamin into my fowl they always seem to get down and I believe that with pills they really just use what they need and excrete the rest I've had a bigger winning percentage than ever this last season I started the season using injected B complex but towards the end stopped using it and saw a much better results a lot of cockerss don't like sparring their file but I've noticed that if you don't spar you don't get all the rest out of their muscles especially if they're not used to flying doing stuff in Big cages so I try to spart lightly I would say at least 3 times a week the first two weeks and then twice the last the fourth week and on the 5th week I don't spar mainly this is done so that they realize they need to hit first before they get hit and it helps a lot I just gotta you gotta take care of the feathersp
    Hey, TJ, I think you said in another thread that you'd give them 0.1cc B15 the last few days, don't you use that anymore?

Also, those Vetinova pills are working for me, too.

42. Likes Los Ivanes liked this post