Thread: Red Richardson Butchers

Post Thanks / Like

Red Richardson Butchers

Anyone knows the history or if they even exist?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Red Richardson Butchers

Amigo We had them and never did good with them, although I have spoken with some people and they love them and have done great with them.
    Fought them Crossed and pure LK SK and they were not what the Dr Ordered here at the Copper State a few years back when it was legal.
    Neven made it to Mexico with them though!
    Last edited by RONCOVOICE; December 29th, 2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Add text

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Ron. Good luck in the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Amigo Muchas Gracias, the season is going really well, hope your season is also good.
    Ronco

Post Thanks / Like

We got some from a friend he went out of buisness a year ago and gave us a old cock and 3 hens... Iv saw them show when it was legal never saw one lose

Post Thanks / Like

Red did have the Butcher from Willie-(Bill) Marsh and yes they were good. Red was the source of Butcher for many of the well known cockers, Harold Brown, Oscar Akins, Gary Mullins, Bill Ruble, Bill Baumgardner, Jack Stamey, Leroy Westbrook, Johnny Jumper, and Ray Price. Red was a breeders breeder and gameness was his forte, in his own words to John Jumper, this butcher blood will help anything it is bred to......Mark Marsh frequents here and he probably knows more of this than I, Red did get the "Choice" line of the Butchers that went back to a cock that was chosen different times as the First cock shown in different mains, thus the name choice. I think this is the way the story went..... I know there are many stories concerning Red and the Marsh fowl, time and space doesn't permit now

Post Thanks / Like

i know bill baumgardners were super birds they helped him make his name in the sport crossed on hatch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redbreeder View Post
    Red did have the Butcher from Willie-(Bill) Marsh and yes they were good. Red was the source of Butcher for many of the well known cockers, Harold Brown, Oscar Akins, Gary Mullins, Bill Ruble, Bill Baumgardner, Jack Stamey, Leroy Westbrook, Johnny Jumper, and Ray Price. Red was a breeders breeder and gameness was his forte, in his own words to John Jumper, this butcher blood will help anything it is bred to......Mark Marsh frequents here and he probably knows more of this than I, Red did get the "Choice" line of the Butchers that went back to a cock that was chosen different times as the First cock shown in different mains, thus the name choice. I think this is the way the story went..... I know there are many stories concerning Red and the Marsh fowl, time and space doesn't permit now
    RedBreeder is correct. Red did get Butchers on different occasions from my Grandfather as well as the Speeder fowl. How he bred them I have no idea. The story of how "Choice" got his name is correct. He was the first bird called in 3 different mains,hence the name. I am not sure if Red got fowl from the Choice line or not though. There were 2 stories floated around years ago,one concerning Red and I am not sure who the other was about. One was that Red gave Grandpa Bill a blank check for a yard of fowl.....untrue. Another was that a breeder gave Grandpa $2,000 for a yard of Butchers in the 1950's. That is also untrue. Grandpa considered Red a good friend and got whatever he wanted to breed.

Mark Marsh

Post Thanks / Like

Were Billy Abbot and Curtis Blackwell bred some Butchers in the past?

Just asking!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have some red richardson blood and I crossed it on bill roberts butcher blood. They produced outstanding fowl. The cross proved to be one of the better all the cocks was medium high station and would not fight second. They would of been good in any heel in my opinion. The following year I lost the parents to a mink. Then I could not recreate the cross. I lost my last hen that was out of that cross last year.

Post Thanks / Like

i friend of mine who knew red said they were nothing but albanies not sure if its true or not

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chad123 View Post
    i friend of mine who knew red said they were nothing but albanies not sure if its true or not
    This is incorrect, the fowl that Red got from Marsh were Butchers, I have numerous taped conversations with Red that validates this. Red did have Albany fowl at some time, and I do believe he bred the Albany into the Butcher or vice-versa......hence the brassback that showed from time to time in the Butcher, this is my opinion. As for the Butchers being nothing but Albany is incorrect. I have Butcher fowl that came from Red to Gary Mullins and Red Boggs, I can tell U they are not Albany.......

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the best birds I have had were a cross of Butcher cock over Peyton Yellow Leg Democrat hens. Smart, fast & deadly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redbreeder1 View Post
    This is incorrect, the fowl that Red got from Marsh were Butchers, I have numerous taped conversations with Red that validates this. Red did have Albany fowl at some time, and I do believe he bred the Albany into the Butcher or vice-versa......hence the brassback that showed from time to time in the Butcher, this is my opinion. As for the Butchers being nothing but Albany is incorrect. I have Butcher fowl that came from Red to Gary Mullins and Red Boggs, I can tell U they are not Albany.......
    Take good care of those tapes Greg. They could be a real eye opener for some people. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

my red richardson butcher a product of red richardson butcher broodstag x red richardson butcher young hen ... ^_^v

Post Thanks / Like

reds nephew is still alive and still has fowl. he has the blueface greys and a few butchers,he was running low on the Butchers the last time I talked to himI do not think he would want me to give his name out,he does not sell fowl any way, never has.There are just a couple of us he gifted fowl to.Some of the fowl we fought had this blood in them,When it was legal I conditioned and fought some of the fowl for him.a lot of you have seen him at the pits and do not know that he was reds nephew.He also had a brother that stayed with red and took care of the farm and fed the fowl.His brother was not a chicken man he just helped miss janet and red.J Hurley told me the greys he fought was Reds blood, told me this in the 80s