Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's best for Mexican short knife?

Post Thanks / Like

What's best for Mexican short knife?

Hey guys. Well m new to the gmefowl n I'm trying to learn as much as I can cus I'm first-generation and I got no one to teach me. I only got a trio of Giro and a kelso hen but I'm I would like to get another trio but trying to find out what's best for Mexican short knife?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's best for Mexican short knife?

I like albany sweater ,kelso sweater , grey and keslo is good , I like grey from RR and kelso from the same farm RR

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is if your new to the sport, go to the big events see who is winning see the fowl that they use so you can learn from one breed to another and you will see what crosses are being used with success and buy from people who are winning even if they are more expensive but don't buy names because that will cost you time and money, instead buy what you like name it kelso o whatever but make sure you get it from the farm that is winning not because x person is winning with kelsos, and you buy from z person that does not mean your getting the same blood, that is a big mistake a lot of new cocker make and hopefully you start with the right material becuase competition is tough and it gets very expensive.

4. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You need a family that is not low headed and it is strong and kicks no matter where he is or what position he is in. You should try and get a good hatch family and then a good kelso or RH.

Post Thanks / Like

What do u mean hatch family? Sry but I'm really new to this :/

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Before you go any far in this sport or breed plans I would google some things. Make sure game fowl is for you. Its a lot of work and expensive. Lots of time. Sense its illegal now all you can do is breed and show for ribbons. I've been doing this for ten years and I can still improve a lot. Not trying to discourages or any thing like that. But put thought into what and WHERE your future comes from. Yfis

8. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since your new to the sport also remember that most people don't understand game fowl so set a good example someone is always watching or listening. It helps us all. Yfis

10. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get with whoever got you in the sport and cling onto them for at least a year before you buy any brood fowl. It will save you a lot of time and frustration. I know this from experience . Just my opinion !!

12. Likes mpn1971, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh and one more thing. If you know you will be buying fowl for sure start building or buying pens first. You can get overwhelmed fast... Good luck

14. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advise guys

Post Thanks / Like

Btw I'm currently in Mexico so I can actually fight legally but still trying to learn first before I actually start

17. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southernpride View Post
    Oh and one more thing. If you know you will be buying fowl for sure start building or buying pens first. You can get overwhelmed fast... Good luck
    I agree with Southernpride... It ain't hard to breed a whole bunch of chicks, it is a lot harder to take care of them... Start building pens and get the farm ready!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I built three 4x4x4 pens when I got my first ones and thought I was big time. Lol, now I'm building every week

20. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would start with the fence and then the pens. JMHO

felito

Post Thanks / Like

Find a bird you like and game to the core and build from there. Look for the charateristics you want him to have. Find some GOOD hens. Breed is your choice, just make sure their traits compliment the cocks. Breed them the first year heavy and raise all you can. Take all of the stags, since your where it is legal, and heel em up. Get it down to one or two that do the best. Give them time to heal and find someone else with birds and match them with hardware. See how yours hold up. If both loose start all over and eat the hens and the others on the yard. Save your cock if he is truely game and is tested and get a couple more hens. There is no majic cross between this breed and that. It comes down to the cock and the hen matching that special nich and then you have majic. Once you get it never let it go. Everybody wants to buy from a winner, so to stay a winner never sell. That majical nich when you find it is truely special. People have breed for years and maybe only got one pair crossing like that. Just remember, tested fowl are the best fowl and there ain't no short cuts to the top.
    Best of luck, and best wishes

23. Thanks mpn1971, Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes mpn1971, Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ALM3 View Post
    Find a bird you like and game to the core and build from there. Look for the charateristics you want him to have. Find some GOOD hens. Breed is your choice, just make sure their traits compliment the cocks. Breed them the first year heavy and raise all you can. Take all of the stags, since your where it is legal, and heel em up. Get it down to one or two that do the best. Give them time to heal and find someone else with birds and match them with hardware. See how yours hold up. If both loose start all over and eat the hens and the others on the yard. Save your cock if he is truely game and is tested and get a couple more hens. There is no majic cross between this breed and that. It comes down to the cock and the hen matching that special nich and then you have majic. Once you get it never let it go. Everybody wants to buy from a winner, so to stay a winner never sell. That majical nich when you find it is truely special. People have breed for years and maybe only got one pair crossing like that. Just remember, tested fowl are the best fowl and there ain't no short cuts to the top.
    Best of luck, and best wishes
    VERY well said............. !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

How big should a pen be for a trio?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow guys. You guys have been really helpful thanks a lot. Any advise helps me out a lot

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in the Chicago area Northside but screw the Cubs I'm a Whitesox fan though..lol..Anyway where in Mexico are you? If your in a bigger city you can just buy the pens I'm sure you seen the Mexican pens.Buy you some ASAP if you need them, wire is expensive down there you mide as well buy them made. As far as shortknife goes I'd start with Hatch then pick between Roundhead, Kelso, Claret, greys just about anything will do good with hatch but that's just me..lol..

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm a soxs fan I'm in a really small town in Guanajuato near Leon. And yeah wire is expensive. Mexico city is like 6 hours away. Yeah and I have been hearing hatch is a good fowl to start with.

Post Thanks / Like

Wat town....I have family in guanajuato ...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMane View Post
    How big should a pen be for a trio?
    I keep my trios in a 4x5x5

Post Thanks / Like

Always separate your hens though when you breed. That way you can see which one produces better stags

32. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatever it is that u decide to do I know u will fall for ur fowl as we all have

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me id single mate the trio that way u know which hen throws what. One hen may throw a higher percentage of winner or a runner or many other problems. If u single mate u can keep better records. U throw a trio in a pen u have no idea which hen threw what but thats my own opinion. A 4x4 pen that is closed in on 3 sides so its dark is pleanty of space to breed.
    Yfis
    Mark

35. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Butch93 View Post
    If it were me id single mate the trio that way u know which hen throws what. One hen may throw a higher percentage of winner or a runner or many other problems. If u single mate u can keep better records. U throw a trio in a pen u have no idea which hen threw what but thats my own opinion. A 4x4 pen that is closed in on 3 sides so its dark is pleanty of space to breed.
    Yfis
    Mark
    I agree with single mating but not the first year. Find out what you have first. If you get good fowl out of it then single mate. Not worth the extra trouble for bad fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joero21 View Post
    Wat town....I have family in guanajuato ...........
    I'm in San Felipe not to far from Leon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoky51 View Post
    Whatever it is that u decide to do I know u will fall for ur fowl as we all have
    Im already am and I still don't have them I think I'm gonna start measuring to make some chicken pens. So exsided

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpadilla View Post
    My advice is if your new to the sport, go to the big events see who is winning see the fowl that they use so you can learn from one breed to another and you will see what crosses are being used with success and buy from people who are winning even if they are more expensive but don't buy names because that will cost you time and money, instead buy what you like name it kelso o whatever but make sure you get it from the farm that is winning not because x person is winning with kelsos, and you buy from z person that does not mean your getting the same blood, that is a big mistake a lot of new cocker make and hopefully you start with the right material becuase competition is tough and it gets very expensive.
    Great advice, each strain has its own peculiar performance trait characteristics, but the level of performance varies from breeder to breeder, and even between brood pens.
    Selection, testing, culling, management system, handling and many other factors contribute to the final outcome.

YFIS

yunke8888

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southernpride View Post
    Always separate your hens though when you breed. That way you can see which one produces better stags
    Yeap, single mating is the way to go if you are serious.

yunke8888