Thread: Being VIGORUOUS vs Being a MANFIGHTER...

Post Thanks / Like

Being VIGORUOUS vs Being a MANFIGHTER...

There was a thread on "Hybrid Vigor" but i don't think this would apply to that. In general, how many of us on here can differentiate between a vigorous rooster and a man fighter? There is a difference... Let's hear your thoughts and experiences...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Being VIGORUOUS vs Being a MANFIGHTER...

When a cock goes to pecking his flylpole or the ground when U start in the door to pick him up see what the next thing he does. It won't be showing hybrid vigor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblefoot View Post
    When a cock goes to pecking his flylpole or the ground when U start in the door to pick him up see what the next thing he does. It won't be showing hybrid vigor.
    Hybrid vigor, and a rooster being vigorous are two different things. Exclude the hybrid vigor, a rooster not being of any hybrid at all that displays a
    certain vigorous trait is what's in question, in comparison to a man fighter....

Good reply though...

Post Thanks / Like

Been my experience that any vigorous rooster can become a manfighter. I use the word "active", and is a trait that I like and look for. This trait is a good trait, I spot this when they are young stags and even cull towards this trait. I have to handle the stag early and often, or I've noticed highly active blood can be directed towards me, lol. Usually, handleing will keep the vigor in check.

Post Thanks / Like

I call it high strung or temperamental. You handle one ruff few times you can ruin them quick towards man fighter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don128 View Post
    Been my experience that any vigorous rooster can become a manfighter. I use the word "active", and is a trait that I like and look for. This trait is a good trait, I spot this when they are young stags and even cull towards this trait. I have to handle the stag early and often, or I've noticed highly active blood can be directed towards me, lol. Usually, handleing will keep the vigor in check.
    So, you like this "active" trait but, you also cull towards this as well?? You're saying you cull what doesn't show this trait right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    I call it high strung or temperamental. You handle one ruff few times you can ruin them quick towards man fighter.

Ok good, high strung and temperamental, i like those traits to an extent. So, those blood lines that show gameness at around 1-2 months old, and you have to pen them up early, would you call that vigor? Or just high strung? Or temperamental? How about, body type? Can body type show some kind of vigor?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catchfly View Post
    So, you like this "active" trait but, you also cull towards this as well?? You're saying you cull what doesn't show this trait right?
    Yes, there are many other reasons why I choose to keep a stag, or to cull a stag. A stag would have to have many other reasons for me to keep in early culling, but yes, "active" is very important to me, and usually the first attribute that I spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don128 View Post
    Yes, there are many other reasons why I choose to keep a stag, or to cull a stag. A stag would have to have many other reasons for me to keep in early culling, but yes, "active" is very important to me, and usually the first attribute that I spot.
    Yes sir Don, active is the first quality i search for in both show and brood material. So, can we say that and active/vigorous stag or cock being handled can be mistaken as a man fighter? If he is not pecking you aggressively or flaring his hackles at you when you handle him, he is kicking as if he wants to walk and just be on the ground, but, talking to you at the same time, then is this a man fighter?

Post Thanks / Like

i like em that climb the wire so to speak, high strug, energetic but yet gentle and level headed ,and not a "wacko" in your hands. a manfighter is one that is Henless & will meet you at the pen door without a fed bucket ! LOL- but not a good thing...

roundhead man

Easy way to differentiate between a man fighter and vigor. Put him through a full keep if at the end of that keep he is still doing anything he can to kill you he's a man fighter. And in my opinion DO NOT breed him.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your vigor is more one that ALWAYS acts good no matter what? Those are type go in brood pen for me. A cock never has a bad day strutting & talking to ya every time you walk by almost begging you to pick him up every day.

Now, those pen pacers usually culls to me one always spooky & flighty scared acting. I find if you breed from stock suits you in few years most all will act way you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catchfly View Post
    Ok good, high strung and temperamental, i like those traits to an extent. So, those blood lines that show gameness at around 1-2 months old, and you have to pen them up early, would you call that vigor? Or just high strung? Or temperamental? How about, body type? Can body type show some kind of vigor?
    I only hen hatch so moma usually keeps the peace. Then after weening them I just let them sort it out I will not pen one before 5 months unless it brood and varmits ate all the others. I had to do that to 2 stags this year.

Post Thanks / Like

i really like when its feeding time and i go to feed my cocks in the flypens and they all peck the floor ..fly to the rooost pole ect......