Thread: cutting weight

Post Thanks / Like

cutting weight

I have a rooster that is 6 pounds and 13 ounces...which weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces a season ago...Can I bring him down to 5 pounds 12 ounces or 6 pounds....what are some healthy ways to bring him down to that weight? or will it be a bad thing to cut 13 ounces?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cutting weight

Quote Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
    I have a rooster that is 6 pounds and 13 ounces...which weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces a season ago...Can I bring him down to 5 pounds 12 ounces or 6 pounds....what are some healthy ways to bring him down to that weight? or will it be a bad thing to cut 13 ounces?
    Based on my experience if you work out your rooster he will eventually loss weight...A simple rotation to all of your pen will do so as not to stress him so much..if you place him in a fly pen make sure that he won't be able to see the outside of his pen to make him curious on what is happening outside of his pen making him fly to the roost as often as he can...then pen him together with a hen that is not yet ready to breed so he will have to chase her most of the time...make sure that you give him your regular feeds because you do not want to make him loss too much weight...just my 2 cents...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jet! I Appreciate it...So do you think it is safe to drop a 6pound 13ounces down to 5pound 12ounces?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jet! I Appreciate it...So do you think it is safe to drop a 6pound 13ounces down to 5pound 12ounces?
    Try to feel the bone in the middle of the chest and vent, if it's soft and thick it should be his fat. Also, watch his performance during sparing(if it's legal), if he's slower than before, he is fat. If he is heavy because it's just his weight, no need to cut his weight. He is healthier that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giman View Post
    Try to feel the bone in the middle of the chest and vent, if it's soft and thick it should be his fat. Also, watch his performance during sparing(if it's legal), if he's slower than before, he is fat. If he is heavy because it's just his weight, no need to cut his weight. He is healthier that way.
    Thanks Giman. i will watch for that.

Post Thanks / Like

What i do in the Philippines when I am personall taking care of my roosters was I always weigh before I spar my birds so I would know on which weight they perform best or what we call fighting weights...Once I am preparing for a 3cock derby and 1 of my candidate was 2150 grams wherein his fighting weight is at 1900 grams - 1950 grams so I worked him out to come back to his fighting weight and by the way we won impressively at 1950 grams unfortunately I have no videocam that time...Just make sure when you trim down his weight he will not be stressed and everything is going to be ok...Giman is also right if he does not have fat near is vent area why will you reduce his weight probably this is what his ideal weight...Remember if your rooster is very much active on whatever weight he has don't bother trimming down or making him gain weight you might do him more harm than good...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jet572k6 View Post
    What i do in the Philippines when I am personall taking care of my roosters was I always weigh before I spar my birds so I would know on which weight they perform best or what we call fighting weights...Once I am preparing for a 3cock derby and 1 of my candidate was 2150 grams wherein his fighting weight is at 1900 grams - 1950 grams so I worked him out to come back to his fighting weight and by the way we won impressively at 1950 grams unfortunately I have no videocam that time...Just make sure when you trim down his weight he will not be stressed and everything is going to be ok...Giman is also right if he does not have fat near is vent area why will you reduce his weight probably this is what his ideal weight...Remember if your rooster is very much active on whatever weight he has don't bother trimming down or making him gain weight you might do him more harm than good...
    I understand and I thank you...but my rooster was 5pounds and 12ounces last season and he was doing good...but this season my uncle was feeding the roosters and it gained a lot of weight. right now it weighs 6pounds 13ounces and it moves kinda slow and gets tired fast.

Post Thanks / Like

if the rooster moves welll and spars good at that weight, then no need to reduce him. but if the rooster is sluggish in the weight you mentioned, then slowly add work to his daily schedule. do not cut on feed at a drastic level, do it slowly. monitor his performance as you reduce its weight. once you settle on the weight that you believe it is most comfortable in, performancewiise, then allow him time to get used to it

Post Thanks / Like

I would add some soaked oats to his feed  That'll cut some weight off.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand and I thank you...but my rooster was 5pounds and 12ounces last season and he was doing good...but this season my uncle was feeding the roosters and it gained a lot of weight. right now it weighs 6pounds 13ounces and it moves kinda slow and gets tired fast.
    If this is the case then trim down his weight but as i have said rotate him to your pens often and allow him to workout on his own so it will not be too stressful for him as he losses weight...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of your guys help! I really appreciate it a lot! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

not safe to drop that much during conditioning. i would reduce feed and monitor weight....

cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Okay cigar thanks I will monitor it.

Post Thanks / Like

You could fill his flypen with 6 inches of wheat straw, start throwing him one open hand of pelletized in straw once a day in the evening and he will shuffle all the straw around all day to get every pellet that he left the evening before, and he will lose a pound quick.

Post Thanks / Like

feed some oates soaked in cranberry juice for a few days this will get the fat out of his but could cut a few ounces for ya