Page 2 of 157 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Elementary Genetics

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Elementary Genetics

Quick reminder of what you already know. Betel nut,(nga-nga) or "areca catechu", can be used as a dewormer. Half the size of a pencil eraser, or even a bit smaller works well! Make sure that you do not overdose. Natural, cheap, and effective. If you have one tree in your farm, you are covered!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Sir Tiny,
    Good to see you active here in the site again. Don't know if you remember me. Al from pitmaster days. Anyways, we would like to invite you to join the 5 cock sabong.net derby to on May 2, 2012, to be held in San Juan Coliseum. Hope to see you there.

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this is for PM. This is a genetics thread.

Also, why conditioning and deworming questions?

Let's stick to genetics, the title of this thread.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies, Sentenciador. Off topic.

Back to genetics. Breeding Orientals and their grades unto American games really jumble the genes of the offspring! They produce some that are closer in phenotype and even in genotype to the Oriental side especially if the hen side is the Oriental side. And to a lesser extent if bred with the Asil or Oriental being the broodcock. If there is a big need for improvement of the Oriental blood, it is in speed department. That is not to say there are no pure Asils or pure Orientals that can win against pure American games and win in the long knife. We have two pure Boles Asils fought in derbies that won against Sweaters. One even won twice! The other won once. The other brothers lost. We bought 19 pure Asils from Matt McDaniel and we fought many, only two won, as pures, in the LK. Another was used by Steve Brittain over his Albanys and Greys and they seem to be doing well. I even bought some and I still have them in the farm, over 13 years old but they can spar real well up to now!

So Asil over Albanys and Greys work. We currently have some stags that are Red Indian Asil over Red Fox Greys. Good performance.

The normal practice is to use oriental hen side if breeding for brood stock, and oriental cockside if breeding for battlefowl. Whatever you breed, or however you breed, make sure BOTH sides are GAME! Orientals very easily reveal gameness weaknesses when graded! But the dunghill genes seem to bind and seek likewise dunghill genes to manifest themselves in short order!
    Last edited by Tiny M.; March 2nd, 2012 at 08:45 PM.

5. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny M. View Post
    At the risk of being told I am getting free ads, let me confirm we use Cherifer Immunomax syrup, 1 tablespoon per liter of water for chicks. Try it. Survival is higher.

Please stay well.
    will also try this one... many thx sir Tiny M.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello FilAmex, there is solid science behind the spices being used. Capsaicin helps joint movement. In fact not only does it alleviate the stiff soldier-like movements of aged cocks, it also helps in conditioning as it allows the roosters to flap their wings with more vigor (higher breaks), and to extend their legs farther when the hit (longer reach). Every little advantage, when added up can make a big difference between a win or a loss, excitement or money! By the way, thanks for the greetings! Oregano is a potent nasal decongestant. One leaf chopped can be given to two to three fowl already. Potent stuff.
    Also good with Lucban longganisa! Sarap! Now, turmeric is my favorite, very strong anti inflammatory. Helps movement, once compared to the effects of phenylbutazone, but it was a lot safer, without gastric irritation. Strong anti-oxidant. Active ingredient is "Curcumin". Now, it shines against the aspergillus mold that produces aflatoxin. And all feeds contain aflatoxin, it only depends on the levels. Left over feeds start to mold over, and the roosters need the protection of turmeric, or luyang dilaw, or the liver is compromised. There is only one caveat. Please don't give turmeric to cocks being conditioned. It thins the blood, so you will get a bleeder! Aside from this, it is one of the BEST breeding and conditioning spices, ever! Finally, black pepper or paminta. Active component is "piperine." now this component increases the bioavailability of the vitamins you give to your fowl. It supercharges the vitamin supplement and makes it work better! Faster, and longer lasting! Ang galing, no? Natural products. the best!

Even CM GLUCAN is a natural product. It starts out as brewers yeast, about 800 kilos of brewers yeast are processed and purified so much that in the end, you only have 4 kilos of the Swiss made CM Glucan! 1/2% yield! But dang! It works!

Pati sa chicks, iba ang natural.....iba yung synthetic. Stay well!
    You're welcome. Wow...looks like you are not only a master breeder but a Herbalist for gamefowls as well. And it does sound that good gamefowl genes can be preserved and propagated longer with the help of herbal medicines. How about ampalaya leaves, does it have any medicinal value at all to gamefowls? I'm also wondering if it would be beneficial to massage older broodcocks with Capsaisin Cream. Honestly, wondering also if it could facilitate turning the butt of a rooster to Cherry red when applied to that area at times, hehehe....BTW, would that Cherifer Immunomax Syrup be bought only in a vet med or poultry supply store?
    Thanks again and hope you're sipping on some mean tinola soup with ampalaya leaves at the moment. Take care

Post Thanks / Like

Breeding Orientals to mimic American games is not good. Orientals will not out-American, pure American games. We breed Oriental grades to provide or offer a counterpoint to the American games fighting style. The offbeat, accurate hard hitting smart fighter. But there are also many traits of pure Orientals that are fatal in LK fighting. Neck wrestling style, low headedness, hiding under the wings, breast out standing tall, as if waiting to be hit! Pecking, exposing their necks and heads. But there are also feet out, head and body back Asil fighters. A Boles winner, named "Frisky" was one. And he was fast. And he transferred his genes to his offspring. His brother was also fast, and also a winner. They are still in the farm, very old, yet genetically sound.

Boles Asils would be my best bet. Rampuris are also good. Had Rampuri blood for over 20 years, from Wilton Thibodeaux, and later from Orlando of Florida, and the fastest one, lately from my friend Walter. Nick L. Has Yakidos, among others.

Again, which will nick with which? Sometimes the genes play tricks and we won't know until we try them in the brood pen. But imagine if a pure Asil can win against top competition in the LK, his sons and grandsons can surely carry themselves as grades.

Stay well, and keep them crowing!
    Last edited by Tiny M.; March 2nd, 2012 at 09:10 PM.

9. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to genetics. Breeding Orientals and their grades unto American games really jumble the genes of the offspring! They produce some that are closer in phenotype and even in genotype to the Oriental side especially if the hen side is the Oriental side. And to a lesser extent if bred with the Asil or Oriental being the broodcock. If there is a big need for improvement of the Oriental blood, it is in speed department. That is not to say there are no pure Asils or pure Orientals that can win against pure American games and win in the long knife. We have two pure Boles Asils fought in derbies that won against Sweaters. One even won twice! The other won once. The other brothers lost. We bought 19 pure Asils from Matt McDaniel and we fought many, only two won, as pures, in the LK. Another was used by Steve Brittain over his Albanys and Greys and they seem to be doing well. I even bought some and I still have them in the farm, over 13 years old but they can spar real well up to now!

So Asil over Albanys and Greys work. We currently have some stags that are Red Indian Asil over Red Fox Greys. Good performance.

The normal practice is to use oriental hen side if breeding for brood stock, and oriental cockside if breeding for battlefowl. Whatever you breed, or however you breed, make sure BOTH sides are GAME! Orientals very easily reveal gameness weaknesses when graded! But the dunghill genes seem to bind and seek likewise dunghill genes to manifest themselves in short order!
    will try to test one of my local asil grades tomorrow in our long knife extreme mythbusting experiment ;-) lets see if the native asil's holes (if gameness is one) could be covered by the hennies, one or both may have recessive dunghill genes and make excellent roadrunners ;-)
    Last edited by jailbird; March 2nd, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sir Tiny,

After completing the breeding and production of my battlecross requirements this year, decided to make some experimental crosses, one of which is a pen in my farm in marinduque crossing a pure labuyo Junglefowl, (please see pic) with blueface hatch hens. The labuyo looks like a hatch, very small, green legged and I observe them flying like birds coming from the forest to my farm when its feeding time. I dont know what to expect but hope to combine the Hatch GAMENESS and WILDNESS / FLIGHT from the labuyo. Not intending to ever join them in tournaments but maybe for hacks. Any idea what to expect and if I breed the sons back to the mama or the daughters back to the papa. Regards. Sorry if this sounds crazy but its just an experiment. Appreciate your thoughts

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...1022012078.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I read or hear something like, when downgrading with asil blood, good performing 1/2 asil grades should only be used. Some would even say that, if they are not good at 1/2 asil, they will NEVER be better at 1/4, 3/8 or 1/8. Is this allegation really a fact? Makes it sound like asils that would produce 1/2 grades with good fighting abilities are the only good ones. And that they are the only ones to be propagated. As an avid orientalist, your words of wisdom about this curiousity would be greatly appreciated.
    Warm regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Hidalgo View Post
    Hi Sir Tiny,

After completing the breeding and production of my battlecross requirements this year, decided to make some experimental crosses, one of which is a pen in my farm in marinduque crossing a pure labuyo Junglefowl, (please see pic) with blueface hatch hens. The labuyo looks like a hatch, very small, green legged and I observe them flying like birds coming from the forest to my farm when its feeding time. I dont know what to expect but hope to combine the Hatch GAMENESS and WILDNESS / FLIGHT from the labuyo. Not intending to ever join them in tournaments but maybe for hacks. Any idea what to expect and if I breed the sons back to the mama or the daughters back to the papa. Regards. Sorry if this sounds crazy but its just an experiment. Appreciate your thoughts

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...1022012078.jpg
    Hi Joey, that labuyo looks pretty and very much like my pets as a kid in Davao. It usually has very long tails too. And in Indonesia they are bred for their SINGING ability - actually beautiful crowing like songs! Partner if your guys catch another one please reserve one for me ;-) would love to hear them sing !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Breeding Orientals to mimic American games is not good. Orientals will not out-American, pure American games. We breed Oriental grades to provide or offer a counterpoint to the American games fighting style. The offbeat, accurate hard hitting smart fighter. But there are also many traits of pure Orientals that are fatal in LK fighting. Neck wrestling style, low headedness, hiding under the wings, breast out standing tall, as if waiting to be hit! Pecking, exposing their necks and heads. But there are also feet out, head and body back Asil fighters. A Boles winner, named "Frisky" was one. And he was fast. And he transferred his genes to his offspring. His brother was also fast, and also a winner. They are still in the farm, very old, yet genetically sound.

Boles Asils would be my best bet. Rampuris are also good. Had Rampuri blood for over 20 years, from Wilton Thibodeaux, and later from Orlando of Florida, and the fastest one, lately from my friend Walter. Nick L. Has Yakidos, among others.

Again, which will nick with which? Sometimes the genes play tricks and we won't know until we try them in the brood pen. But imagine if a pure Asil can win against top competition in the LK, his sons and grandsons can surely carry themselves as grades.

Stay well, and keep them crowing!
    Nice break down of asils. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jailbird View Post
    Hi Joey, that labuyo looks pretty and very much like my pets as a kid in Davao. It usually has very long tails too. And in Indonesia they are bred for their SINGING ability - actually beautiful crowing like songs! Partner if your guys catch another one please reserve one for me ;-) would love to hear them sing !!!
    Partner, my farmboy used to do this as a business.Trap them and then sell them for P2k a piece. If you want one, add a P300 door to door fee from Marinduque to Manila, one can be delivered to my farm where you can pick it up.

I breed pretty birds but nothing more refreshing than seeing pleasantly odd native beauties, like this one, in my probinsya. Theres something very interesting about them, they dont need all these vaccinations we give, medicines and they are healthy, strong and born to be wild!.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...1022012076.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

This is posted on Gamerooster...

Breeding Asil grades

The Breeding of Asil "Grades"
    by Edwin Kubojiri
    "Island Ronin Gamefarms"

http://www.gamerooster.com/spotlight/asil.html

Post Thanks / Like

many years ago, i was into the science of breeding chickens, i wanted to prove to myself that with my patience, knowledge, resources and time i could produce olympians in the pit. But the result made my heart bleed, my hair white and my bankbook dry. Its a given fact that breeding gamecocks is more complex than breeding racehorses. In gamefowl genetics, 1+1 is not = 2 somestimes the answer is 1 or 3 and a highway of possibilities so how much more if 1+2 or 2+2 ...

Believed me, at our present level of competition, no master breeder can produce in VOLUME a breed that can win 90% year in and year out of the same breed. where are those whites? where are those blacks? where are those buliks? Winning 70% is a very high mark but its just even in the wallet.

Hence, with less expectation I have changed my approach to breeding: I called it "free well", no force mating. A product produced with love and freedom rather than arranged marriages or even rape in prison. A series of broodkaks corded 10+ meters apart and full sister hens/pullets on free range. To make it simplier, i only maintain 2 lines: oriental and hatch. I breed the hatch for the pullets for my orientals to enjoy. its like the caucasian women enjoying the maori boys muscle. Observed hen's loyalty too they are just women. Happy breeders produce happy chooks and happy chooks am sure makes happy farmers. Enjoy breeding!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rolei View Post
    many years ago, i was into the science of breeding chickens, i wanted to prove to myself that with my patience, knowledge, resources and time i could produce olympians in the pit. But the result made my heart bleed, my hair white and my bankbook dry. Its a given fact that breeding gamecocks is more complex than breeding racehorses. In gamefowl genetics, 1+1 is not = 2 somestimes the answer is 1 or 3 and a highway of possibilities so how much more if 1+2 or 2+2 ...

Believed me, at our present level of competition, no master breeder can produce in VOLUME a breed that can win 90% year in and year out of the same breed. where are those whites? where are those blacks? where are those buliks? Winning 70% is a very high mark but its just even in the wallet.

Hence, with less expectation I have changed my approach to breeding: I called it "free well", no force mating. A product produced with love and freedom rather than arranged marriages or even rape in prison. A series of broodkaks corded 10+ meters apart and full sister hens/pullets on free range. To make it simplier, i only maintain 2 lines: oriental and hatch. I breed the hatch for the pullets for my orientals to enjoy. its like the caucasian women enjoying the maori boys muscle. Observed hen's loyalty too they are just women. Happy breeders produce happy chooks and happy chooks am sure makes happy farmers. Enjoy breeding!
    ..... I agree .... and it seems most folks believe that winning is a heritable trait .... they seem to think that there is a specific winning gene ..... and when they have a multiple winner ,,, they seem to think ,,, " yehay bingo ,,, I got one that will surely produce winners" ......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rolei View Post

I am just wondering if chickens is given a free will to choose her mate; which broodcock will she choose? An oriental or a hatch? Have you experimented or observed that in your new style of freedom breeding?

Post Thanks / Like

hello mate,
    mostly hens prefer prime aged cocks (2-3 yr old) or bullstags that are noisy or bolero, knows how to sing o harana, hard worker gets good pay. young brodstags normally secure the pullets, obvious reason, they can't compete with tough jealous hens unless they are setting.

in my 7 brodcocks in a raw, 2 particular half grades that are in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by gintong itlog View Post
    I am just wondering if chickens is given a free will to choose her mate; which broodcock will she choose? An oriental or a hatch? Have you experimented or observed that in your new style of freedom breeding?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, Edwin Kubojiri has been my friend since about 20 years ago, playing around with Hamlin Asils. Asils do impart their good qualities even at very small percentages in blood. 1/16ths, or even 1/32nds would still show it's influence. Quarters are excellent. I have six Asil-Albanys coming in soon to be mated to Jumper Kelso for a three way cross. My 2015 WSC entry! Hehehe. When breeding Asil Grades, I do not seek the typical Asil style, nor the purely American style, but the good timing they impart. The accurate cutting, the smart fighting. In the 2011 WSC, an American type rooster broke high, the Asil grade just looked up. The again face each other, the American rooster again broke high, the Asil grade did not break, but before the American rooster even landed, the Asil was already there behind with hard hits, winning clean! The Asil was NOT even a high breaker/flyer, he was not a hard Shuffler, he was not overly fast. He had IMPECCABLE TIMING, he was not in a hurry, but he was deadly accurate. He was fought again! He won again. He was the anti-thesis of the current high flying, harder shuffling, American type, overly aggressive hot heads. Wow, these are the ones I want to breed. The off beat, Asil grade with good timing and accurate cutting.

22. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We also fought an Asil grade, our locally bred Aswang line bred over imported lines, he won 4th fight in 2011 WSC, fought again in the 5th fight and won again. Can Asil grades bred even quarter blood win? Yes they can! In the highest levels of competition!

Post Thanks / Like

tiny, we missed you at today's gettogether. your darling was there hahaha. next time sir! we want those asil grades to join the fracass of the knife fights

Post Thanks / Like

Jeb, next Saturday, I will invite you and China, and Baldo, and Serge for a picnic at the farm. March 10, starts at 11 am. We can discuss Oriental Fowl breeding and Genetics as I have lots of samples to compare and evaluate. Serge is an icon, with perhaps the most experience. China, make yourself available. Your other darling, Baldo will also be there. We can spar half blood Rampuris to evaluate. Hehehe. Stay well guys! Breeding and genetics, if they don't drive you crazy, they may keep you sane away from making too much money in life's rat race!!!! Keep them crowing!

Post Thanks / Like

very nice information sir... we will try this...

Post Thanks / Like

welcome back sir Tiny, nice to read about your sensible posts...keep them coming...

Post Thanks / Like

Jeb, next Saturday, I will invite you and China, and Baldo, and Serge for a picnic at the farm. March 10, starts at 11 am. We can discuss Oriental Fowl breeding and Genetics as I have lots of samples to compare and evaluate. Serge is an icon, with perhaps the most experience. China, make yourself available. Your other darling, Baldo will also be there. We can spar half blood Rampuris to evaluate. Hehehe. Stay well guys! Breeding and genetics, if they don't drive you crazy, they may keep you sane away from making too much money in life's rat race!!!! Keep them crowing!
    Great!!! I wont miss that for anything!

Post Thanks / Like

Sir Tiny, with sir Jeb on your side, I can foresee you aiming(sipating) your own knives on your own warriors in future WSC's. Looks like he can tie a 5 incher on a small but real goood asil grade..hahaha..

Post Thanks / Like

YARD MATING: can we follow the bloodlines?

Let's see: we have one large yard. Inside we put one Zambo White Pullet, straight comb, yellow legs, one Asil-White, white legs, pea comb, one Lemon, straight comb, yellow legs, one Sweater, pea comb, yellow legs, one Roundhead, pea comb, white legs, one Grey, green legs, straight comb, grey straight comb white legs, one Butcher, Straight comb, white legs and one Black McRae, black legs, one Bulik, yellow legs, Grey, pea comb, yellow legs. Ok, we can go on with the color of body, legs, and the type of comb, but at 11 hens, can we still follow which is which without a trap nest and careful marking? This is a "RAMBOL YARD" if ever we saw one!

The broodcock we will use is a Lemon, yellow legged straight comb.

The answer is of course we can! we can track the Cockerels.

Let us start:

The Zambo Whites would be obvious. Whites with straight comb. The Asil-white would be white with pea comb. The straight Lemon would be red, lemon hackled and straight comb, the Sweater would be red, pea combed with yellowlegs, the the Roundhead would have pea comb and white legs, the Grey would produce Grey, straight comb with yellow legs, the other Grey straight comb with white legs would would produce these traits as well. The Butcher would produce straight combed white legged stags, the black is obvious, the Bulik is obvious, the Grey with pea comb will produce like stags. The hens would be more difficult to call. But the stags can be called with a greater accuracy provided the stock used are more or less "pure" comb type and leg color. RAMBOL YARDS, the easier way to breed and track your stags even without marking them. Hehehe, try nyo!
    Last edited by Tiny M.; March 3rd, 2012 at 07:22 PM.

31. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

YARD MATING: can we follow the bloodlines?

Let's see: we have one large yard. Inside we put one Zambo White Pullet, straight comb, yellow legs, one Asil-White, white legs, pea comb, one Lemon, straight comb, yellow legs, one Sweater, pea comb, yellow legs, one Roundhead, pea comb, white legs, one Grey, green legs, straight comb, grey straight comb white legs, one Butcher, Straight comb, white legs and one Black McRae, black legs, one Bulik, yellow legs, Grey, pea comb, yellow legs. Ok, we can go on with the color of body, legs, and the type of comb, but at 11 hens, can we still follow which is which without a trap nest and careful marking? This is a "RAMBOL YARD" if ever we saw one!

The broodcock we will use is a Lemon, yellow legged straight comb.

The answer is of course we can! we can track the Cockerels.

Let us start:

The Zambo Whites would be obvious. Whites with straight comb. The Asil-white would be white with pea comb. The straight Lemon would be red, lemon hackled and straight comb, the Sweater would be red, pea combed with yellowlegs, the the Roundhead would have pea comb and white legs, the Grey would produce Grey, straight comb with yellow legs, the other Grey straight comb with white legs would would produce these traits as well. The Butcher would produce straight combed white legged stags, the black is obvious, the Bulik is obvious, the Grey with pea comb will produce like stags. The hens would be more difficult to call. But the stags can be called with a greater accuracy provided the stock used are more or less "pure" comb type and leg color. RAMBOL YARDS, the easier way to breed and track your stags even without marking them. Hehehe, try nyo!
    Good post Tiny, people ask me if using genetics is practical, I answer that if you have an understanding of it, you can use it to understand what can or can not happen in a breeding. Like breeding two straight combs and producing a peacomb, it ain't going to happen. Helps you find your mistakes....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Everett View Post
    Good post Tiny, people ask me if using genetics is practical, I answer that if you have an understanding of it, you can use it to understand what can or can not happen in a breeding. Like breeding two straight combs and producing a peacomb, it ain't going to happen. Helps you find your mistakes....LOL
    Yep, & like breeding two pea combs & a straight comb pop's out. Then breeding two straight combs together out of pea combed parents. From then on they are not pea combs any more. The pea comb is not masked or hiden. It is gone. Bred out by selection & can not come back.

This is where I disagree a bit. Not everything is covered up. It can be bred out thru selection.
    Last edited by colt39; March 4th, 2012 at 03:42 AM.

34. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh your quenching my thirst for new knowledge sir tiny... Please dont stop. Still have the sears. miss the lay...