Thread: Hugh norman

Post Thanks / Like

Hugh norman

Anybody have information on the old Hugh Norman Grey's. I have recently aquired some of these Grey's and was wanting the history and to know if anybody else still breeds these. Thanks -Cody

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hugh norman

Quote Originally Posted by cody17 View Post
    Anybody have information on the old Hugh Norman Grey's. I have recently aquired some of these Grey's and was wanting the history and to know if anybody else still breeds these. Thanks -Cody
    Cody i don,t remember him showing Grey,s but i have watched him show his roundheads and they were a good solid family.I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hugh had at least 2 families of Grey... a Silver Grey & a Black Grey... I think the Silvers were nothing more than a Madigan, but they were very good birds... the Black Greys, I didn't care for...

Post Thanks / Like

black backs were chocolate greys.... and slip is right my pop's watched one in 70's go for an hour took alot and got the W so pop's followed hugh back to CH and ask to buy him the cock was sold due to hugh didn't think it was going to make it.... pop's paid a good price for him.... well he made it however everything that was raised from him were no good.... cigar

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry his silver Grey's thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

I knew someone who fought Hugh norman greys crossed on Claret If they got you past about 7-10 pittings they usually got you. They wer VERY TOUGH. And they hit like a hammer

Post Thanks / Like

let me up this thread guys.................

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Hugh norman

We Got them during the 70's from Hugh Norman , Grey's (Madigin), Reds (Roundhead) very good on Filipino Long Knife , Game , Lot's of Power......

Post Thanks / Like

the grays were a cross of Hatch and the round heads they were crossed on the Cleveland Compton farm in Demopolis, by Sambo (Shorty) Jones, many were shipped to the Phillipines, and a few were shipped back to Dade county Georgia

Post Thanks / Like

All i know is that they( for me anyway) came white and yellow legs. crossed well on kelso and claret.

Post Thanks / Like

do you know where i can get some of his rh

Post Thanks / Like

Im looking for some rebel greys, do yuns know somebody that has some for sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slipspur View Post
    Hugh had at least 2 families of Grey... a Silver Grey & a Black Grey... I think the Silvers were nothing more than a Madigan, but they were very good birds... the Black Greys, I didn't care for...
    The black backs where from Curtus Blackwell, and were low headed, someone told my dad that Curtus bred his hatch back into Harold Brown grey to make his and that was why they were smutty looking, Curtus called them Pole Cats............. J D Clayton ended up with alot of Hugh Norman's blood, he (Hugh) also had a family of pearl legged straight comb greys that came, supposedly both the yellow legged and pearl legged greys were both Madigan, pearl side was called the Texas, because of where they bred and was the foundation of the Texas Rangers

Post Thanks / Like

J D lived in Chickamauga GA, was good friends with Hugh, J D shipped fowl for a long time under his daughter's Audrey Clayton.............now we J D got what fowl he got from Hugh was later in Hugh's life, and I know my dad never trusted anything except the Madigan (YL) blood. He said they were so game even JD couldn't mess them up......I believe Kenny Bishop still has some of that blood but I haven't seen him in over 10 years so I can't swear to it, I believe Kenny lived on either Lookout Mountain or Sand Mountain.........anyway just stoking the fire, getting out before I forget,lol aint no big secret and aint worth much but it is nice to sit back and remember so of the rooster men in your past you may never see again, JD passed away a few years back.
    Last edited by DeepSouth; February 12th, 2013 at 04:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

There's still a few folks that have the Hugh Norman black greys. Hugh Rudd bought all his fowl from Norman in 1968. I have the greys from Rudd. Rudd said they were Law greys. And that's what we call them. I have researched them as much as possible. From what I have been able to find out , Hugh Norman got them from E.W. Law. They were a cross of the Madigan greys and Brown reds. Either way, call em what you will they are beautiful medium stationed fowl, with power and bottom. Bitter game and the easiest handled of any gamefowl I have ever seen. Here is a pic of my wife holding one. They come this color and black greys , willow legs with yellowish toes and 100% straight combed. I will post some more pics when I can. None for sale.

16. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hugh called his black-grey family Law Greys, as he got them bred that way from Mr. Law. Law fought a lot of black and BR/Red cocks in his early days. These cocks were bought from Hub Spencer who had the Log Cabin Sid Taylors from J.D. Gay. Mr. Spencer lived to be over 100yrs. old and died in a nursing home in Lexington, Ky. sometime around 1980. This date could be 3or4 years either way. Hugh told me this himself. These blackgreys were 1/2 Madigan, st comb y/l silverback and 1/2 Sid Taylor. I raised many cocks like the one in bigjohn's post and some came much darker, black grey stcomb and would come black eyed and red eyed. 8 out of 10 hens came black but the other 2 would look pure lightgrey Madigan. Most gentle cocks and game!!

Post Thanks / Like

My mentor was good friends with mister Norman ill ask him next time im at his farm

Post Thanks / Like

I know he had Chocolate Greys at one time.

Post Thanks / Like

harry parr got them from hugh norman the chocolates, I believe ray alexander had some either from hugh or from harry they came green legs yl and white leg but through breeding I believe they bred to the gl side