Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: johnny stansell gavilan

Post Thanks / Like

johnny stansell gavilan

Has anyone bought hatch from him in last 5 years if so how are they interested in getting some good hatch blood any info appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: johnny stansell gavilan

I got a hatch trio from him 2 years ago. Off spring have speed, power and are dead game and yet very easy to handle. I bred them straight and crossed them out . Only one thing is they don't cut as good as I would like (straight) but does well crossed . A great addition to some cutting blood. Johnny is a great sincere guy. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

They sure look good.I thought about geting some,but i heard they wer'nt any good.I was told if i could find some that came from buck then id have something??????who knows...I figure for the price it would'nt hurt to try them.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered some pullets off him last year bred one of my hatch cocks over them got some really nice stags raised out of them don't know if there any good but they look really good and have good health I figured for the price couldn't go wrong and Gavilan club entry always was a tuff entry look back threw all the old 90's gamecock magazine heard a lot of bad about johnny on the net but he sure sells a lot of roosters to be selling junk and as many as he sells its hard for them all to be good my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

a friend had some they were really good but cold they would get bored fast i think they work better crossed

Post Thanks / Like

100% junk. Johnny Stansell is the Bill Morris of the south

Post Thanks / Like

yeh, from what you guys are saying is there bred out.they may have been tough as hell is the 90's.but it's 2012 .They say about every 3 to 5 years you need to freshen up your blood.

roundhead man

@steelspurin I don't know about Mr stansells fowl so I won't comment on them. But who Is they that said you need to freshen up your blood every 3-5 yrs. I have fowl that I haven't added blood to ever and they are just as good as when I got them.

9. Likes Lil Canyon Game, msei, Krackers Koop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard from several sources that the Gavilin blood from Johnny isn't good anymore, but I know a guy who is tough as nails that shows the recent blood. Maybe only the few get the good ones?

Post Thanks / Like

around here we call the them travlin gavlins.save your money!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramapomtngamefarm View Post
    around here we call the them travlin gavlins.save your money!!
    hhahahhahahahahahhahaa now thats funny

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get some of them old gavilans lines u can win them pure I git them and still love them don't know about the new ones

Post Thanks / Like

ive heard good things about the gilmore hatch but hows the speed? i was wondering i wanted to order a good hatch but have been debating about a gilmore or gavlin and whats the diffrence? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You need to find someone who has buck stancils original mcleans and has maintained them well they are still tough as nails we showed nine oakgrove/gavalins this year five in american show four in the mexican show all blue ribbon winners

16. Likes Krackers Koop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought chickens from the man twelve to fifteen years ago and have bought chickens lately.We have very good success In any thing we show them in!I have to say that Johnny Stansell has been nothing more than a gentleman and very honest!He let me have hens out of his own personal brood pens!If I could meet some of these guys thats giving him hell,I show better than I could tell them!!We won eleven derbys in 2010 and close to that in 2011 and giving them hell in 2012!! And thats in the last three years!!Keep in mind most of these guys on here dont know a good strain if it was right there in front of them!!!

18. Likes Lil Canyon Game liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatch365 View Post
    I bought chickens from the man twelve to fifteen years ago and have bought chickens lately.We have very good success In any thing we show them in!I have to say that Johnny Stansell has been nothing more than a gentleman and very honest!He let me have hens out of his own personal brood pens!If I could meet some of these guys thats giving him hell,I show better than I could tell them!!We won eleven derbys in 2010 and close to that in 2011 and giving them hell in 2012!! And thats in the last three years!!Keep in mind most of these guys on here dont know a good strain if it was right there in front of them!!!
    my uncle ordered a gavilan cock with a gavilan/grey hen hard hitters quick could do a little shufflin and shake like a son of a gun but that was when jonnys dad buck was still around

Post Thanks / Like

Very fast,stout and cut as good as any hatch family we have on our place.The only fault I have with them is every now and then one will come a little low headed.But other than that all in all there good chickens.I have them crossed with Cecil Davis Kelsos and I couldnt be more pleased with them!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatch365 View Post
    Very fast,stout and cut as good as any hatch family we have on our place.The only fault I have with them is every now and then one will come a little low headed.But other than that all in all there good chickens.I have them crossed with Cecil Davis Kelsos and I couldnt be more pleased with them!
    the gavilans in my family dont like to be picked up lets put it that way, haha, what about yours

Post Thanks / Like

gavillan still is a hatch blood and blueface still is a hatch,but if you cross them together it will be another story...peace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpurinFarm View Post
    yeh, from what you guys are saying is there bred out.they may have been tough as hell is the 90's.but it's 2012 .They say about every 3 to 5 years you need to freshen up your blood.
    If you have to add new blood to them every 3-5 years better get a totally different bloodline they were no good to start with. Rubles no new blood added since 1960, Bruners no new blood since 1963, Bumblefoot Greys no new blood since 1977! A solid family bred with proper selection will last a lifetime! As far as Gavilans I know men who breed the reds and the Spangles and they are as good as any. They bought 11 hens direct from Johnny out of 2 different brood pens. Johnny Stansell is as good a breeder and chicken man as they are anywhere. When you raise 1500 and sell that many every year you gotta be doing something right! How many of us raise 1500 a year? If you didn't get them direct or don't know the man please don't say bad things !!!! I was always taught if you don't have anything good to say it is best to keep your opinion to yourself.
    Last edited by Bigjohnson1977; June 29th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

24. Likes Lil Canyon Game liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

johnny Stansell is a very honest breeder that deserves our respect! Buzzo statements like that are not good for gamefowl breeders in times like these we need to stick together and not bash our fellow cockers!
    Last edited by Bigjohnson1977; June 29th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

26. Likes Louisianabred, Lil Canyon Game liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys lets be respectful remember if you don't have anything good to say its best not to say anything at all!

28. Likes Louisianabred, Lil Canyon Game liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I live an hour from Johnny. He is very respected among my family. We use his Gavillan and sweaters from him. Have been very successful with the gavillans. However, I am sorry to say the awful truth, you get good chickens by friendship more than money

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohnson1977 View Post
    johnny Stansell is a very honest breeder that deserves our respect! Buzzo statements like that are not good for gamefowl breeders in times like these we need to stick together and not bash our fellow cockers!
    A peddler is a peddler and Johnny is a peddler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts44903 View Post
    A peddler is a peddler and Johnny is a peddler.
    Hey Robert did you get some of his Fowl? Anyways can you tell us how his fowl turned out since some of members are saying they are awesome. Did you show them or just sparred them and did not like them. Your response would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lurena View Post
    Hey Robert did you get some of his Fowl? Anyways can you tell us how his fowl turned out since some of members are saying they are awesome. Did you show them or just sparred them and did not like them. Your response would be appreciated.
    A buddy of mine ordered 12 gavilan hatch cocks. Out of the 12 6 was blacks and the other 6 looked like gavilan hatch. Only 1 cock out of all 12 showed game in the long heels. This was about 10 years ago and, in my opinion once a peddler always a peddler

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine ordered 12 gavilan hatch cocks. Out of the 12 6 was blacks and the other 6 looked like gavilan hatch. Only 1 cock out of all 12 showed game in the long heels. This was about 10 years ago and, in my opinion once a peddler always a peddler
    Yea pretty much sent you'r buddy crossed fowl. Anyway I'm thinking your friend ordered the pure ones and paid him the price for pure fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lurena View Post
    Yea pretty much sent you'r buddy crossed fowl. Anyway I'm thinking your friend ordered the pure ones and paid him the price for pure fowl.
    My buddy paid the price for pure fowl cause he was looking for a broodcock. Hell out of 12 he should of been able to find one but nope.

Post Thanks / Like

was some boys in the cockhouse next to ours that had ordered an entry from him.every one of em quit.by the end of the nite they were calling them galloping gavalins

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy paid the price for pure fowl cause he was looking for a broodcock. Hell out of 12 he should of been able to find one but nope.
    Robert do you show your fowl in the American show or Mexican show? Maybe thinking they are "pit game" where they are good enough for 15 minute regulation in the knife but not good enough for the rugged gaff.