Thread: Gaffing stand / rooster holder

Post Thanks / Like

Gaffing stand / rooster holder

Gaffing Stand or Rooster Holder

I decided to start a thread as it seems to be the best way to get info if search bears no fruit.

There are many occasions when we want to gaff but there is no one to hold the rooster, so i am looking for an accessory/ device to hold the rooster comfortably while i tie his knife on.

I saw somewhere a rooster being placed in a tubular holder ( looked like leather) with his legs hanging so the owner could gaff him without anyone holding. I cant seem to find any posts and pictures in this site, but if someone could post pics it would be great!

My idea is that we could make a holder so that in case you have to fight in a pit alone, or you dont have an assistant you can rely on, you can still gaff your bird safely and comfortably. I think this must have been common among gaff fighters in the US where everyone did everything by himself.

If there is any on sale anywhere please point us to the seller.

Pictures and sources and/or designs please!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gaffing stand / rooster holder

Quote Originally Posted by jailbird View Post

I decided to start a thread as it seems to be the best way to get info if search bears no fruit.

There are many occasions when we want to gaff but there is no one to hold the rooster, so i am looking for an accessory/ device to hold the rooster comfortably while i tie his knife on.

I saw somewhere a rooster being placed in a tubular holder ( looked like leather) with his legs hanging so the owner could gaff him without anyone holding. I cant seem to find any posts and pictures in this site, but if someone could post pics it would be great!

My idea is that we could make a holder so that in case you have to fight in a pit alone, or you dont have an assistant you can rely on, you can still gaff your bird safely and comfortably. I think this must have been common among gaff fighters in the US where everyone did everything by himself.

Good luck sir Jb. I remember seeing a post sometime ago by a member here that this sport could actually be played individually like boxing, billiards, etc....

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen guys place them in a small orange cone the kind they use for road work. They just cut the front bigger so the roosters head can stick out. And they can gaff or even trim combs.

Hope this helps

Aloha

Diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we can try this one; just need a little improvement to make it work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...zpbuNIkaXFZroA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guardia civil View Post
    Maybe we can try this one; just need a little improvement to make it work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...zpbuNIkaXFZroA
    It looks like a little improvement can be done, like aluminum metal frame instead of wood, make it foldable, two small holes for the legs and hole on the cover flap for the head.

Reminds me of the surgical table also. So it's a three in one equipment, Dubbing, gaffing, and Surgical table.

Nice.

Saved this one for my favorite.

PS. Just visited a friend who dubbed my two stags today. He showed me his 2 feet by 4 feed brooder which also doubles as his hot box for growing vegetable seedlings. He's got it on his dining table. The table is covered with plastic sheet. The seedlings on top of the plastic and the brooder without the bottom is on top of the seedlings. Two light bulbs heat the seedlings that's in a self watering plastic grower.
    Last edited by Camarines; March 30th, 2012 at 05:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Camarines;4069113]It looks like a little improvement can be done, like aluminum metal frame instead of wood, make it foldable, two small holes for the legs and hole on the cover flap for the head.

I know someone that has one of these and i was just gonna make me one to practice LOL. His uses a weight trimming belt to hold the rooster in the saddle. The ones made out of that wetsuit material with the velcro

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember it correctly, there was an advertisement on The Gamecock magazine about this which I think is being sold by Little Joe Nanez (???)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link describing Joe's heeling box. Too bad there's no picture. http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/pokeysproducts/joe.html

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=BANDERADO;4063302]
    ]JB i make do with a clorox gallon or an empty bottle of Wilkins big enough to hold a rooster.....just cut out the neck and the bottom part and just slide the bird thru.....good also for Pungos....i put a used tie cord in the middle part of the bottom sort of lock between the legs.... fis

Good idea! I also remember my friend Boy Silverio had a catch cock holder. It was used to tease the trainee and get him to hit the catch cock without hurting the catchcock - i liked that gadget as the feather ball catch cocks tend to make manfighters of the roosters. Maybe i can also use that catch cock holder. But ill try the gallon idea while i dont have that catch cock holder!

some pics..........
    Sir Banderado posted that in the chicken knives thread, i would like to share it here.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by jailbird; March 30th, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=rockislandred;4064008]
    Gaffing Stand

I was going to start a new thread to ask about gaffing bags, baskets or stands. But since its a gaffing accessory i thought of askingit here first.

I saw somewhere a rooster being placed in a tubular holder with his legs hanging so the owner could gaff him without anyone holding. I cant seem to find any posts and pictures in this site, but if someone could post pics it would be great!

Some pics, maybe it helps. Sounds like you guys got a good thing going with the get togethers. Enjoy the friendships it brings!

From India:

Really nice pics here!! Thanks ROCKISLANDRED!

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have a picture of little joes box I would greatly appreciate it if you would post some pics

Post Thanks / Like
    uploadfromtaptalk1360884264734.jpg

Im not sure if this was the box advertised.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just get a gallon bleach jug and cut and end out to insert rooster and the other end to pull his head thru no big deal lol but as far as what somebody else said about the Americans doing it by themselves I never seen anyone have to do it alone there was always someone standing around that could just hold a bird for you

Post Thanks / Like

I go alot by myself and get tired of having to run someone down to hold for me and you can never really trust someone you dont know

Post Thanks / Like
    It never bothered me to get someone to hold for me even if I didn't know them . I figured there wasn't much they could do right in front of me without me seeing it

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=jailbird;4069204]
    Quote Originally Posted by rockislandred View Post

Really nice pics here!! Thanks ROCKISLANDRED!

the last pic of the one that looks like a purse, looks like a winner idea! Find a old leather purse or hand bag that fits your roosters.(just dont cut the holes for the wing) then all you would need is a stand to hang it from.............(handbag-or have some one that does custom leather work and get a custom made one

Post Thanks / Like
    This may look interesting to some. We just fabricated the stand from steel bars and used a catch cock armor as a holder.

uploadfromtaptalk1361013564191.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1361013591979.jpg

This way (picture below) the rooster is more comfortable but taking out the leg with the knife will be a pain.

uploadfromtaptalk1361013632000.jpg

This was when I thought I would tie even if I was alone at the camp. Wishful thinking. Now my assistant does everything. Including having all the fun :what:
    Last edited by jailbird; February 16th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This one is leather with padding inside, also leg and wing holes as needed

Post Thanks / Like

grab em get em between ya knees and go to cuttin

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the purse-like catch cock saddle was advertised in a Sabong show years ago, but due to distance and price everybody tried to improvise instead..