Thread: jock wilson toppy greys

Post Thanks / Like

jock wilson toppy greys

Was wondering what y'all mite know about them....are they f.e.gs or not.....has anyone seen them perform....come on guys I'm betting someone knows something lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: jock wilson toppy greys

help you in pushing this up

Post Thanks / Like

the real ones are pale yellow leg not blue or green only one man has them that i know of hes in his 80s and was the pitter for jock wilson he does not sell on oak ridge the mac nearly grays are the same thing as the jock wilson grays but very hard to find the real ones so stay away from the crossed up ones on oak ridge

Post Thanks / Like

Duke Hulsey fed for Bubba Jordan of Columbia, SC during the 1950's for a while. Bubba purchased the top fowl available in the country, regardless of cost. Once when Bubba was gone, Duke took all the brood fowl except for a few hens and left without saying anything to Bubba.

Bubba Jordan was so peeved that Duke had taken all the brood fowl except the hens that Bubba didn't want anything associated with Duke. Bubba gave the four hens that Duke left at Bubba's to Jock Wilson. The man that handled for Jock told me they thought the four hens were Claret. Jock lived just southeast of Columbia, SC, near where the VA hospital is now.

Jock got a dark Hatch cock from the entry out of Rock Hill, SC that fought all of the Florida tournaments at the time, the 1950's. I don't remember the names of the entry owners but I think their entry name was Rock Hill. The Rock Hill entry had gotten the dark Hatch from Ted McLean and were quite successful with them. As an aside, I've always thought the dark Hatch were based heavily on Hatch's dark leg Thompsons, as opposed to his Kearneys.

Jock mated the Rock Hill dark Hatch cock to the Bubba/Duke Claret hens. I don't know how the cocks did.

Harold Brown got his start in the big leagues with Bubba Jordan in Columbia, SC. While in Columbia, Harold became friends with Mr. Tommy Free, who lived north of Columbia, along the Broad River.

Harold later became associated with Mr. E. W. Law. Harold got the McNerney Greys from Mr. Law.

Mr. Law got the McNerney Greys from Mr. Jack McNerney after Mr. McNerney whipped Mr. Madigan and Mr. Law in a main around 1927 by a score of 7-1, if my memory of the Fulldrop article serves me correctly. After the main, Mr. Law was supposed to have said that the Greys were the best cocks he had ever seen and got some from Mr. McNerney. Shortly before Mr. Law got out of the sport, he got rid of the McNerney fowl, supposedly because they were too "delicate".

The McNerney Greys that Harold had would throw a toppie and occasionally a red colored one. They didn't ever come blue or have a muff like some lines of Mr. McNerney's Greys.

Harold put the McNerney Greys with Mr. Free and only a couple of people knew it. Isn't it interesting how many of the big timers hide their good fowl with others. Its as though they don't want shoppers to see their good stuff. I've known cockers that spent a great deal of time trying to find out with whom the big timers had hidden their good stuff and then bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Frank Arnold of Lexington, SC, across the river from Columbia, got a McNerney Grey cock with a toppie from Mr. Free. Mr. Frank was the medical entomologist (a bug scientist specializing in the transmission of disease by insects) that later developed the method of mosquito control that is used around the world today. Isn't it interesting that a cocker developed the method of controlling malaria out-breaks that has saved countless lives?

Mr. Frank had told Mr. Free that the McNerney Grey Toppie wouldn't leave his yard. Jock couldn't get a McNerney Grey from Mr. Free. Jock took the hens that were 1/2 dark Rock Hill Hatch and 1/2 Bubba/Duke to Mr. Frank's. Mr. Frank mated them with the understanding that they would fight the cocks together. The pullets were killed. A total of 24 cocks were raised and farm walked at stags.

The mating was only made one season. After that, Jock picked up the hens from Mr. Frank's and put them on a farm walk, where varmints killed them. That was the only time the hens were bred.

The Jock Wilson Grey Toppies were 1/2 McNerney Grey Toppie, 1/4 Rock Hill dark Hatch, and 1/4 Bubba/Duke Claret.

Early in the season of the cock's first year as cocks, two year old, Jock got four of them and fought them. All won easily. Jock didn't tell Mr. Frank how they had done. Jock got all of the cocks off their walks and fought them solely by himself. He and Mr. Frank fell out and Mr. Frank never spoke to Jock again. Mr. Frank didn't ever get a dime of their winnings.

Jock fought out of the 24 Grey Toppie cocks every weekend for the entire season and had 21 cocks left at the end of the season. During the season, the cocks were briefly farm walked to freshen them up. After the season, they were all farmed walk through the off season.

The remaining 21 cocks were fought out of every weekend for their entire three year old season and 17 cocks were left at the end of that season. The same six cocks won the DeCamp Memorial Six Cock Derby two years in a row in straight fights! This was when the Decamp Memorial was the most competitive six cock in the Nation. Again, during their season as three year olds, the cocks were briefly walked freshen them up.

Post Thanks / Like

The Grey Toppie cocks were again walked during the off season after they were three years old. As four year olds, the Grey Toppies had slowed down and were only average cocks.

Every pullet and/or stag that was grey with a toppie that Jock got off those walks where he walked the original cocks, he sold for $100 as a "Jock Wilson Grey Toppie" which they were if that's what he wanted to call them. Remember, this was during the early 1960's, if I'm not mistaken. High dollar for the time. All of the offspring that he sold was only 1/2 the original blood, were crosses, and were not set as a family. I know this isn't what some want to hear that claim to have "pure" Jock Wilson Grey Toppies but that's how it was told to me by the parties closest to what happened at the time. I don't know if anyone received any of the remaining original 17 cocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Guys. I did buy a stag off of oakridge and yes it has blue legs looks way more f.e.g. to me. I didn't pay much for him so at the very least we will see how he does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flarreyeye View Post
    The Grey Toppie cocks were again walked during the off season after they were three years old. As four year olds, the Grey Toppies had slowed down and were only average cocks.

Every pullet and/or stag that was grey with a toppie that Jock got off those walks where he walked the original cocks, he sold for $100 as a "Jock Wilson Grey Toppie" which they were if that's what he wanted to call them. Remember, this was during the early 1960's, if I'm not mistaken. High dollar for the time. All of the offspring that he sold was only 1/2 the original blood, were crosses, and were not set as a family. I know this isn't what some want to hear that claim to have "pure" Jock Wilson Grey Toppies but that's how it was told to me by the parties closest to what happened at the time. I don't know if anyone received any of the remaining original 17 cocks.
    Thanks for the info. Flarreyeye!

Post Thanks / Like

Could you please tell me whether my birds might be Jock Wilson Toppies? Photo below. I am new to breeding gamefowl, so please excuse my ignorance.

Here’s what I know about my birds. In the fall of 2013 I bought a small flock (one cock and four hens) from a breeder in Florida, USA. They were not marketed to me as anything special, just "Flarry Eye Greys." The Floridian had bought this flock in 2012 from a breeder in Missouri, USA. The Missouri breeder had acquired his broodstock about ten years earlier from "a guy in Illinois" (USA). I have spoken with the Missourian and he has no recollection of the Illinoisan’s name nor anything about the birds’ pedigree.

I am asking for your assistance because I was recently approached by a breeder in Kentucky, USA, who wanted to buy some of my birds. He explained to me that, from what he could tell of the photos posted to my website (he was particularly struck by the light-yellow legs), my birds were rare and desirable. He said that only one person bred birds like this, a man named Jock Wilson.

Should I have reason to think that my flock of Greys is particularly valuable?

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance.

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy has flarry eye and he crossed some onto sweater hens and look exactly like yours. Less feathers on the head but the pure ones he has are green leg and full set of hair! But to be sure 100% it would be impossible! But there your birds so if u think they are Wilson then Wilson they shall be, I'm just being honest!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Post! Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to see them all the time and jocks are different than than flarrie eyed grays, the man I knew had jocks were yellow legged and feg were were green legged! Jocks had smaller toppy ! Used to fight feg crossed on Kearney br ! I was a teenager but I won a lot of backwoods derbies ! They were fast roosters I couldn't mess them up! Lol