Thread: History Buck Haws BR

Post Thanks / Like

History Buck Haws BR

Just curious if anyone knows more about their history and What made them. Goblin Cleaver and I had a conversation on them years back as hes got some and got them from his Mentor. What he knew was there was 2 familys of them one Straight Comb family and one that came straight comb but would throw a pea comb now and then.My Brother picked up ours when he was on a Job in TX we showed them very successfully for years he got out I kept them going but dedided to add to them to fix a couple things thought could be better wanted little more station and better break. I got a friend been outa touch with for many years Tommy in Cottonwood CA him and his partner ordered some from Buck at same time Tommy said the ones he got was trash but the ones his partner got was really good ones I heard comments that Buck had some very satisfied customers and some that got bad ones and got worst when Buck Passed and Bucky took over. Anyone got any input would be interested.Jim...I got the ones that would throw a pea comb now and then and get a hatch looking one from time to time been really good birds for many years added to them twice to get where I wanted them to be been 25 years since added the last Charlie Eidt RQ to them.
    Last edited by j007; April 26th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: History Buck Haws BR

Quote Originally Posted by j007 View Post
    Just curious if anyone knows more about their history and What made them. Goblin Cleaver and I had a conversation on them years back as hes got some and got them from his Mentor. What he knew was there was 2 familys of them one Straight Comb family and one that came straight comb but would throw a pea comb now and then.My Brother picked up ours when he was on a Job in TX we showed them very successfully for years he got out I kept them going but dedided to add to them to fix a couple things thought could be better wanted little more station and better break. I got a friend been outa touch with for many years Tommy in Cottonwood CA him and his partner ordered some from Buck at same time Tommy said the ones he got was trash but the ones his partner got was really good ones I heard comments that Buck had some very satisfied customers and some that got bad ones and got worst when Buck Passed and Bucky took over. Anyone got any input would be interested.Jim...I got the ones that would throw a pea comb now and then and get a hatch looking one from time to time been really good birds for many years added to them twice to get where I wanted them to be been 25 years since added the last Charlie Eidt RQ to them.
    Buck always claimed they were Fardown Irish Brownreds his Granny had from a man named Johnson?

Post Thanks / Like

GOOoD DAY BLACK LOVERS,
    MR.J007 & MR.M.E. LOVE THOSE black e.! cheerss!

yfis,
    SHELTON RH

Post Thanks / Like

I live right down the road from buck's nephew who still has some pure blood from buck. The bad thing is he wont part with any of them for any dollar amount

Post Thanks / Like

Was a story from Goblen Cleaver that the family that would throw pea comb one now and then had a touch of asil in them but 30 years not shown a asil looking one in them only off color I have gotten was a Hatch colored one although they can be light eyed rarily. My Brother had one of the Hatch looking ones that was so spradlelegged he could barely walk he was shown at Milkdairy ,Birds of a Feather,Blue springs and Yellowleaf won 4 times--LOL--be surprised how many bets you could get on a bird hardly walk shure could point a spur though.All this happened back when LA was wide open and legal.The original stock was a little low station would hover over oponent and set down on him most time be over then. Thanks for information I tried to keep the good and add a little to them over the years.never really looked into their Family tree maybe shoulda done it many years back. They were very popular in South AL is just a few still around used to see some now and then but very few anymore-Thanks -Jim
    Last edited by j007; April 27th, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

one of my friend bought a brown red cock from a fellow and he was pea comb. thought he got ripped off but that br can show out very good rooster. said he was 1/2 wingate and 1/2 haws. now i know where the pea comb come from, the haws. but anyway those are good birds.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike is right..Buck wrote in an aritcle in the Grit And Steel that his they were the Bob Johnson Fardowns. And that Mr. Johnson got them from his Granny?? Now if that's true I don't know. But I was always under the impression they came over from Ireland originally as that is what has been written for years..

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I'll help you raise this thread up. I'm also interested to know the history behind these Brownreds. It is interesting to know that these BR are also the Fardowns or heavy on Fardown blood.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Irish deal is straight not doubting it just saying -funny I added the Charlie Eidt Redquill that Mr Charlie told me his family had gotten from Ireland Three Generations back Although he mentioned while in their hands they were added to twice once was some Whithackle blood he told me the other one shoulda wrote it down as dont remember now was back in 1981 He said they added and then bred it out one of the cocks I got from MR Charlie was shown at Sunset won he was the only one of the 4 Brood Cocks or hens I brought home that was red eyed and never got a red eyed one out of him.I kept the RQ till last year they sure blended well with the Brownreds I ended up keeping 1/4 of the RQ blood in them.Got off topic apreciate the information-My AVATAR was the last pure Haws cock I liked the family using the quill blood better and went with them phased out the straight family -Jim
    Last edited by j007; April 29th, 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

lets see some pictures guys...

Post Thanks / Like

I don' t post much but Haws has some kinfolk here in H-town. CG, spoke to him about them BR and he said the best cross that ever worked with them was the sid taylor blood. Eventually as the years past by the blood became cold and he focused on his asil crosses but every time you would mention them BR you can see the shine in the man's eyes. He showed me a book with pretty good stories from Haws also.

Post Thanks / Like

Just bringing it back up to the top someone interestedin Fardowns maybe help him some.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok who all breeds them and what about the greys