Thread: Harold Brown Silver/regular grey history?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Harold Brown Silver/regular grey history?

Anyone got a straight answer as to where Harold acquired his straight comb green legged greys?

Ive heard they were W.T. Greene blood but ive read that they wernt?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harold Brown Silver/regular grey history?

EW Law......this is the words that Harold told Lane Arrington months before his death. Lane and his son Jimmy stopped by Harold's on their way back to WNC from Mid-America during the visit this came up in the conversation. Lane obtained the little Green leg Grey's and done well with them his last few years. This is the grey blood that Johnny Mitchell got from Lane and bred into the leipers. They are small, straight comb, green leg and very solid fowl, they cross good with pea-head type hatch, honest little cocks.....

Post Thanks / Like

According to Red fox farms web-site it was "E.W.Law grey blood Harold Brown obtained from John Madigan is the foundation."

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Harold Brown Silver/regular grey history?

Lonewolf is telling you a good history lesson on these fowl.

Respectfully:

Cliff King

OKLAHOMA

Post Thanks / Like

Rochelle sent me and a friend each a hen of the silver blood years ago and told us that it was Law grey and the foundation blood of the Red Fox greys which were a hatch/grey blend.
    Yfis
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Im not referring to their hatch greys.... im referring to their pure greys...... if they obtained their old school pure greys from law then how were they green legged? And where did Mr. Law get this green legged grey blood from? Im very close to Mr. Ronnie singleton and have got nothing but YL from his law blood

Post Thanks / Like

The yellow leg Law was the result of Regular Grey-(green leg) crossed on Madigan's Claret, then thru the years of breeding to the yellow leg side produced the Law yellow leg......I also know that they did originate with Madigan, yet when Harold told Lane what the green leg grey's were, HE SAID THEY ARE THE OLD EW LAW FOWL......Lane Arrington was partner-feeder of FRED and Jerry Clevland and fed as well as showed MANY of the yellow leg Law's, this is why when Harold called the green leg Grey LAW' that Lane inquired further.......there were no better cutters than those Law yellow legs of Fred and Jerry Clevland, if a rooster broke up with them they would reach and pull a rooster into them and relieve him of their life. Many saw these fowl at the old Woodside pit in Taccoa, Ga........back in the day

Post Thanks / Like

HAROLD BROWN REGULAR GREY SAME AS RAY HOSKINS REGULAR GREY ,,

ACCODING TO YESTERDAY STORY , HAROLD SWAP HIS BEST YELLOW LEG McCLEAN YARD TO RAY BEST GREY YARD ..

hoping there's a truth in my write up,, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for clearing that up for me. The YL laws i have were from Jerry Cleveland if im not mistaken.

Very happy with their cutting ability and they are game to the core....

The HB greys are as you described as well, 4.5-5 lbs small heads and are very quick birds....

Post Thanks / Like

The hen i got from her was YL or so willow legged they looked yellow to me and so was white with little black specks all over her not one of the buttermilk or robin breasted ones. The only other greys ive seen colored like it are the real mule trains. Dont know anytging else but she told me they were the straighr Laws. They were good little chickens no matter what. Leg color dont always mean anything alot has been forgotten. Theres people out there that dont think clarets come YL either just WL.
    Yfis
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

My friend Mr. Bill Farner breeds lemon necked YL clarets that are the real deal

Post Thanks / Like

Who has the best Grey now a days? In US of A or Philippines? i like to by for breeding purposes..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dyan Agustin View Post
    Who has the best Grey now a days? In US of A or Philippines? i like to by for breeding purposes..

We've had good luck with Joey Lacson's Grays from Circle L Farm in the PI. Very honest man and very good birds. Joey's originated from Harold.
    Last edited by rockislandred; May 7th, 2012 at 01:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Harold Brown got his Green Legged Regular Greys from E. W. Law..They were Madigan's Regular Greys..Law and Madigan were partners for awhile and Law had all of Madigans lines at one time or another. They are the same greys that Bob Bennett had and many others!!!

Post Thanks / Like

All history i read is he got them from law so pretty much law greys are harold brown greys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redbreeder View Post
    EW Law......this is the words that Harold told Lane Arrington months before his death. Lane and his son Jimmy stopped by Harold's on their way back to WNC from Mid-America during the visit this came up in the conversation. Lane obtained the little Green leg Grey's and done well with them his last few years. This is the grey blood that Johnny Mitchell got from Lane and bred into the leipers. They are small, straight comb, green leg and very solid fowl, they cross good with pea-head type hatch, honest little cocks.....
    Rebreeder just wanted to bump this thread up cause I'm interested in some Law greys. I am curious to see your Lane Arrington law Greys if you have any pictures available of you'r Brood cock or hen?

Post Thanks / Like

Around 1935-1936, Law started calling his Greys Law greys. Prior to that he called then Canadian greys in published club reports. This was his way of referencing they were Hanky Dean greys being bred in Canada for Col. John Madigan. They came yellow and white legged. All were straight combed. They were the exact same blood as the Red Madigin Clarets. When he started calling them Law Greys he had infused O'Connel Albany(hen side) under a Madigan Grey cock. The yellow leg becoming more common with a white leg still expected. A later infusion of McNerney Greys solidified the predominance of yellow legs over the white. Law crossed these on a lot of his other good fowl and advertised and sold a lot of fowl. A successful cross was the Law greys to Madigan's Texas Ranger's. These came dark legged. Therefore, if you have dark legged Law Greys and the trait is due to Law's breeding and not some other breeder afterward, then I would guess it is Ranger blood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redbreeder View Post
    ew law......this is the words that harold told lane arrington months before his death. Lane and his son jimmy stopped by harold's on their way back to wnc from mid-america during the visit this came up in the conversation. Lane obtained the little green leg grey's and done well with them his last few years. This is the grey blood that johnny mitchell got from lane and bred into the leipers. They are small, straight comb, green leg and very solid fowl, they cross good with pea-head type hatch, honest little cocks.....
    johnny mitchell was a good friend of mine he told me that harold and lane was good friends that when harold went to fight in tenn. He went and stayed with lane and harold left the best he had at he's horse barn thats what i was told johnny got them from lane he traded the leipers for some greys years ago and i got the from johnny they are good greys he told me alot about lane he done good with the greys