Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gavilan Club Farms Johnny Stansell

Post Thanks / Like

Gavilan Club Farms Johnny Stansell

Hey does anyone know how there fowl are and what kind of people they are I am interested in some of there fowl an wanted a little info before I jumped in to ordering them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gavilan Club Farms Johnny Stansell

Check out there hatch/ gray. anything with buying and not seeing first is a gamble. Good luck. Never spoke to them personally but seen birds in action.

Post Thanks / Like

Our handler has a pair( or trio not sure ) of the hatch and seems like he really likes them . He keeps telling me to go check em out but haven't seen them . If he likes them that much to be telling me aboutem they must be good . How are the grays ?

Post Thanks / Like

My uncle only uses Johnny's birds. He had won one derby with all of his birds.

Post Thanks / Like

Which breed of fowl did he have? I am trying to find out if anyone knows how any of his breeds are the roundheads, speckled hatch, sweaters, grey hatch and the hatch. If so how did they do with them what type of fowl are they how do they perform and what kind of ability do they have

Post Thanks / Like

We took a 3 bird show with some Gavilan Greys in S/K, won all three respectively.

Post Thanks / Like

did you get them from them direct and if so how long ago did you get them. It sounds like those grey are rugged power cocks that can cut do they have multiple shuffles are they legs out and no bill hold or do they have to have a bill hold Thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the days of Buck Stansell... it was almost impossible to obtain those Hatch and Grey without paying big bucks. Now under Johnny's time... I heard he's letting go of those birds ... I just have not heard if they were the same birds like what his papa was showing during their heyday.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother visited them when on a Job many years ago came home with some Hatch the Cock spangled.Very Game very strong very hard hitter very mean .Good fowl but the ones he got you needed fast hands to handle or high pain tolerance-LOL-Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Johnny is a junk peddler well that has been my experience from him. In all honesty if he gave me his fowl I would not take them.

j007 them spangles was from a mistake mad in the brood pens. They accidently bred brother in sister in 2 of their big pens. All came spangle this was when Buck was still in charge. The old stuff from Buck was 10 times the fowl Johnny has now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ga coondawg View Post
    I have heard this before... didn't want to talk bad about a man, but i heard he is a bad peddler....
    I will say this a friend of mine ordered 12 gavilan hatch cocks. What he got was 6 black crossed cocks and 6 what looked to be pure hatch. Out of the 12 1 showed game in the long heels. This was about 12 years ago. I know people who have gotten good fowl from him. What I have heard was he had 2 yards one he sold fowl from and one he kept and used for himself. Since the laws are so bad here in the states he might only have the good yard left and sell out of that. If it was me I would not risk it.

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys thanks for the info I didnt know if they were what they used to be back when I used to read the old gamecocks Tha gavalian hatch that buck used to fight years ago the old timers around here told me that you had to pack a lunch if you wanted to whip one of them so i didnt know how they were now so thanks for the info i dont want to waste my time or my money

Post Thanks / Like

there r other web sights to talk crap on gavilan hatch and greys are verry good birds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzsaws View Post
    there r other web sights to talk crap on gavilan hatch and greys are verry good birds
    Buzsaws no body is talking crapt. Their have been several complaints about the Gavilan Club Farms and many members have expressed their opinions. Now if you received good fowl from Johnny it would appreciated if you could post your positive feedback so that other members can read it. Any negative trash talk to other members will not be tolerated.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck with gavilan greys on several shows, for the most part what makes a bird look bad the day of is the feeder. Select them right make sure they are healthy and choose the best weapon you can and give them hell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzsaws View Post
    Buddy no offense but, I aint one to talk down about another man's fowl unless it is true. I tell it like I see it. If I think somebody trying to blow smoke up I will tell them. If somebody ask for an opinion and, I know something on it I will tell them.

I tell ya what the old stuff from Johnny's daddy Buck was what real hatch chickens were made of. They could wreck you on the fly or be there 3 days later.

If I did not see it with my own 2 eyes I never would of thought it.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine did very well with some sweater-asils that he got from johnny about two years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

My old man got some from him gave them to me as a present they didnt last long here but they didnt fight my way back in the day so i shipped them to a friend that did very well with them at small pits that was back in 87 so i cant say how they are now but he was there looking for hatch he came back with hatch becareful when you get fowl from anyone imho KB

Post Thanks / Like

ive heard good things about the gilmore hatch but hows the speed? i was wondering i wanted to order a good hatch but have been debating about a gilmore or gavlin and whats the diffrence? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

johnny is a 100% chicken peddler. He has 100% junk, dont waste your money

Post Thanks / Like

The fowl I bought from Johnny are very good birds. He didnt sell me any junk and i didnt see any junk on his yard. (not a one). They are hard hitting accurate cutters dead game and consistent. I havnt had any trouble with the offspring. But I will agree that they are a little onry mostly wen the on point but nothing a little patience and handling won't take care of.

Post Thanks / Like

my family had the gavlins from buck and they strong, mean, pretty quick, shuffle, and shake like hell believe it or not..

Post Thanks / Like

hey buzzsaws,the cc kelso cock i spoke about in your other post on pen hacking took out one of the old gavlin hatch cocks in maybe 5 secounds,but if you can get up with charlie white in meichgan he has severl familys of deep game gavalins verry deep game,

Post Thanks / Like

Bill Baumgarnder once told me johnny asked him for one of his hatch roosters after seeing him fight.Bill told him hell you dont need mine you all advertise under having the best hatch roosters alive why do you need mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t know anything about johnny but I have some of the old Gavlin hatch and I love mine they just won`t guit game to the core. jmo .country

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that has some.He has had them about 15 years now and they are still holding their own.Not the best cutters pure but game and are the strongest birds I
    Have seen. And have alot of endurance.They are very gentle and they all come dark red.And the females all come very dark with alot of black on their heads and neck.Cross good with other speed fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my gavilans crossed over my cckelso hens the roosters are perfect. Like (peanut butter and jelly. I had a 15 month old stag murder 5 of mine and my partners brood cocks n an hour we couldn't kill him needless to say I bred him over my hatch hens kelso he's and my brown reds but crossed on my Asils they was to fast footed they would cut them selves

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by country View Post
    Don`t know anything about johnny but I have some of the old Gavlin hatch and I love mine they just won`t guit game to the core. jmo .country
    thats my opinon also had some of the speckled chest hatch years back that were game to the core dont know about the newer stuff

Post Thanks / Like

I aquired the Gavlin hatch from johnny stansell back in 1994 and I purchased eggs and was unable to get them to hatch!!I called the man back and told him and shipped me another dozen,I was unable to get them to hatch as well,he then shipped me another dozen and I was able to get four chicks to hatch two stags and two pullets.I later was forced to breed them together and had some of the best hatch chickens that I had ever come across!!They are very fast and stout as you could ask for I since then drove thirteen hours from my home to his farm!!I bought a trio from him could not be happier!!The man was nothing but a gentleman and was exceptionally honest!!WE since then have won numerous derbys with these chickens!!he let me have chickens direct from his brood pens I would not take anything for them!I would suggest buying from him.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100 present the greys and hatch are exceptional roosters