Thread: Weird Cross

Post Thanks / Like

Question Weird Cross

So guys, I heard the gamefowl x pheasant cross before. I recently got 4 pheasant chicks and my mind is going nuts about this cross next season. Not sure how well they cross being different but somehow game birds. Any piece of advice? Maybe someone here has experienced the cross or ever thought about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird Cross

A pheasant is so different from a gamecock ..I heard of this before and dont know why anyone would expect to get good results from it ..?? A pheasant is only called gamefowl because you can hunt them

Post Thanks / Like

A freind of mine that dabbled in all types of fowl tried to Cross a pheasant and a GameCock. It took him three years to get any chicks that lived. The Cocks would fight but were wild as a march hare.

He only ever tried to fight one of them , The pit noise was too much I think because the bastard flew off with the gaffs on before hitting a lick, It took a shotgun to get the gaffs back.
    To answer your question ,Yes they will cross but it is very difficult to get suvivours, even harder to get fertile eggs. the few cocks he did raise would damn near kill themselves getting away from you.

I will say this, when we sparred them Nothing would ever out break them.
    And it did seem that they had unreal endurance.

The Crosses however seemed to be sterile as no eggs were ever laid by the cross hens and no fertile egg was ever obtained from a game hen with a cross cock.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure either, but I heard someone that he had great results... fast, quick and deadly fowl. Pheasants are very light and very agressive, punching mostly at the face from what this man who crossed them told me. I guess Ill have to find out myself.

Post Thanks / Like

This ain't my pics or fowl but I thought id share this chicken pheasant crosses [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

They look nice. I was planning on breeding a phesant cock with either a kelso, ylh or claret hen. My pheasants are not exotic but those ringneck regular brown ones.. used for hunts!

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some beautiful birds. Also ugly,lol. That simple, that complicated I guess. The man who more less taught me what I needed to know to get started, and also sold me some good fowl to get started had a Buck haws brownred crossed with a ginny! It was a yard mating and the Ginny being the momma. He said the Ginny kept letting one of his corded roosters top her so he let the eggs hatch just to see ans viola! It had the dark eyes and color pattern of the roo and body of the momma.

Post Thanks / Like

His name was Mr. Eulon Parrot. Some guys from around my way may know him. Better man than even I knew.

Post Thanks / Like

It is funny I am seeing this. Just about a week ago a friend was instructing me on how this is done. The next generation being fertile was the first question I asked. Here is how he told me to do this....
    Use a pheasant male over your game hens, hatch a lot, cull every cockrell quickly, you will need alot of pullets for the back cross to a game rooster as they are very poor layers much like the pheasant, seasonal and in clutches. Very broody, great survival instincts very little feed input required as they will be self suffcient. The Back cross cockrells will need to be seperated at a very young age, extremely teritorial, and will not quit until dead.
    This has been done many times by many folks and works great, best when over heavier oriental games, or asil..... Dont know if it works or not, but this guy seemed to think it did.

Post Thanks / Like

those pics are green jungle fowl. and the pheasant hybrids are like a mule, they are sterile and wont fight. there are hybrids of jungle fowl and chickens that i have seen on java island when i lived there, but they laugh when they crow and i never seen them fighting any. i tryed black sumatra cock over a hatch hen and had a stag but he like the cock, wouldnt stay. but dam sure could break and cut

Post Thanks / Like

here ya go, try these http://youtu.be/BlVn603nQNQ

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that a college was experimenting with these cross's. It was tennesse I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnc2309 View Post
    here ya go, try these http://youtu.be/BlVn603nQNQ
    Now thats funny!...............

Post Thanks / Like

Im interested to see this, as an Indian friend of mine said his father won alot of LK derbies in OK back in the days with fowl that had pheasant bred into it.. I reckon from what he says it will only work if the pheasant cockeral is bred to a game hen.. and put him in, let him top her, THEN IMMEDIATELY take him out... as if not after the love manking is over, he will kill the hen!! I advise you to breed it WAY DOWN... but the indian pal says that this cross actually will change their physical and anatomical build in the wings.. and adding extra rows of feathers.. says it creates fowl that can hover somewhat and even fly BACVKWARDS!! so yea interested in seeing this.. keep us posted!

OH YEA!!! they ay these make fowl cut reallllly good too... but make them fragile... so id get that ole family so and so has been losing with for years, cause when he wins he beat them to death with the hubs.. but the fowl are so dam tough you have to shoot it and hope it goes down, withbottom and gameness to spare....lol
    Last edited by Hotcocker; May 24th, 2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: addition:

Post Thanks / Like

www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-birds.com some hybrids of all kinds, even turkey and chicken. but i wouldnt want pheasant hybrids, they are so crazy as pheasants they ram there pens and die from it.

Post Thanks / Like

craziness man crazy... all kinds of strange things once you begin looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.... does it really sound that bad not breed some? At least try something new. I will make pens with some kind of styrofoam under the roof. I will start the breeding as soon as September- October and be ready to back cross the pullets next season.
    Last edited by ums94; May 24th, 2012 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive heard you had to use silver phesants to make this cross work and really think they are for lk only ive heard about a local guy dominating a few lk derbys with these fowl but he was told not to bring them back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw greys View Post
    Ive heard you had to use silver phesants to make this cross work and really think they are for lk only ive heard about a local guy dominating a few lk derbys with these fowl but he was told not to bring them back
    he should of kept quite about it lol...

I'd like to try it.. sounds interesting

Post Thanks / Like

I hade a female pheasant eating with my chickens daily a few years back, must have been tame because they are not normal n my area. I was thinkinf of trapping it and crossing myself. Did some google research and found some pics of one crossed on a silky. Looked pretty interesting. Someone couldnt resist shooting it im sure because before I made up my mind it never returned. I bet that cross would stay on top. Couldnt never find any info on how game they where tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Shuffle View Post
    he should of kept quite about it lol...

I'd like to try it.. sounds interesting
    Lol. It really aint a secret. Youll be surprised some cockers in Mexico have done it and maybe have cross them too much that they dont have the looks just the blood . A friend from Mexico told me about it but he said he used a kind of bird similar to an eagle, meat eater.

Post Thanks / Like

a freind of mine crossed them one time and gave me one . 1/2 asil 1/2 pheasant, not sure what kind, but it was only about 3 lbs, didnt look nothing like those pics earlier in this thread and was a useless bird, no way you could fight or even spar it , it just stay on the roof of the house and made funny noises

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N.C. flarry eye View Post
    a freind of mine crossed them one time and gave me one . 1/2 asil 1/2 pheasant, not sure what kind, but it was only about 3 lbs, didnt look nothing like those pics earlier in this thread and was a useless bird, no way you could fight or even spar it , it just stay on the roof of the house and made funny noises
    I dont think 1/2 and 1/2 will do it. might have to grade them more down. maybe 7/8 gamecock 1/8 pheasant or even more down.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are bred for a poultry show they will be fine. If bred for battle forget it! Something like this pops up every few years. I even read about this cross in a 1940's Feathered Warrior. I wouldn't waste my time with it.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ums94 View Post
    I dont think 1/2 and 1/2 will do it. might have to grade them more down. maybe 7/8 gamecock 1/8 pheasant or even more down.
    i dont think you could breed the one i had , i couldnt tell if it was a hen or rooster, i dont even think it knew what it was

Post Thanks / Like

ive kept pheasant before, and they will fight a little if you put a game cock in there pen. but they didnt win, so why cross them. the sumatra can whip any pheasant easy and its at least a chicken. the ones i have had were fast cutters and will break to the roof, but not game.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the inputs and advice. I also feel I will just waste useful time that I could be breeding some new gamefowl.