Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nigger Roundheads

Post Thanks / Like

Re: nigga roundhead or black round head

Quote Originally Posted by alohamon View Post
    Yes but this is only partly true black mcrae already has Nigger Roundhead which is what was. mcraes foundation of his blacks and so does Nigger trotter the original Nigger Roundhead was a black grimme cock a sheldon or Allen. Rounhead so to create an actual NRH IS IMPOSSIBLE BUT MAKING VARIATION OF A NRH IS VERY POSSIBLE BUT JUST BECAUSE WE CROSS A BLACK TO A ROUNDHEAD DOES NOT NECESSARILY MAKE IT THE ORIGINAL NIGGER ROUNHEAD. I HAVE HAD PURE NIGGER ROUNDHEADS AND PURE MCRAES AND CROSSED THOSE MCRAES TO ROUNDHEADS THEY FIGHT QUITE DIFFERENT THE NIGGER ROUNDHEADS ARE WAY SMARTER WAY MORE TAME THEY KEEP THERE DISTANCE AND LET THE OTHER ROOSTER MAKE THE MISTAKE THEN STRIKE, MCRAE CROSSED TO ROUNHEADS ARE AWESOME TO BUT MORE AGGRESSIVE LIKES TO BANG BLOW FOR BLOW BUT STILL HAS MORE STYLE THAN A PURE MCRAE BUT STILL AWESOME I LOVE THEM BOTH ALL THE WAY
    good afternoon mr.alohamon,can you post pictures of your nigger rounheads and nigger rouhndhead x mcrae cross to see the diference?
    very interesting your post.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The nigger rh ive seen were coal black comb and all i have not seen any in the pits in years

3. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw greys View Post
    The nigger rh ive seen were coal black comb and all i have not seen any in the pits in years
    in oakridge i saw this year two diferent stags as you described,the others were black but with plenty red in the face.one was said to be from the "money'' line of el paso texas, but i wasn't able to trace his origin,i'm interested in the full black ones but i haven't found the breeders if they still keep them.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i just recieved a dozen black roundhead eggs from a buddy of mine, but i get confused looking at this thread, some birds are solid back and some aren't. also some have black faces and some not, what is the difference???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCASILMAN View Post
    i just recieved a dozen black roundhead eggs from a buddy of mine, but i get confused looking at this thread, some birds are solid back and some aren't. also some have black faces and some not, what is the difference???
    i have seen all combinations, but when they come full black,face,comb,wattles and feathers they look really outstanding.do you have pictures of your friends' black rounheads?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

There was a guy in the Gamecock from Rhode Island who used to advertise NRH's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCASILMAN View Post
    scasilman,pm your buddy contact email if u can , maybe i can get to an agreement with him.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch-Mac View Post
    There was a guy in the Gamecock from Rhode Island who used to advertise NRH's.
    hatch-Mac, if you find the contact info of the rhode island guy,pls let me know.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Amigos this year I am breeding (NRH) Black roundhead with Sid Taylor I call them My Double Negritos.
    The other brood Pen Black Rounhead with Chocolate Gray I call them Negritos con Chile and my other Brood Pen Black Rounhead with Spangled hatch/brownred/chocolate gray I call them my Negritos.
    in about a month or so I will be raising the pure ones.
    Ronco

11. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hi ronco glad to hear from u amigo,did u get to see this ''money'' line rounheads full black face ,comb,bill,feathers and everything somebody told me they were from el paso?

gracias
    Last edited by elgallolatino; April 11th, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elgallolatino View Post
    hi ronco glad to hear from u amigo,did u get to see this ''money'' line rounheads full black face ,comb,bill,feathers and everything somebody told me they were from el paso?

gracias
    Hola Amigo I have not seen these Game Fowls you are talking about, but here's a picture of my NRH stag this is a pure descendant from Rick Labright's blood line.
    Ronco
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Ronco nice NRH I like the dark fowl good job sir

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RONCOVOICE View Post
    Hola Amigo I have not seen these Game Fowls you are talking about, but here's a picture of my NRH stag this is a pure descendant from Rick Labright's blood line.
    Ronco
    felicitaciones ronco,congratulations,in the same batch what percentage approximate comes with the full black face?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The original Sheldon Roundheads that Sam Wactor started with must of been heavy with oriental and or Asil blood as some of my Nigger Roundheads show the Asil look. The feather color of the Nigger Roundheads now are Black, Black Red, and Dark Red, the eye color is black or red, leg color has been dark but with the Sheldon Roundhead blood in them I am sure one day I will get some lighter legs out of them. But, when Sam Wactor first started breeding his Nigger Roundheads he got some BLUE feathered ones but sent them to an other yard away from his main farm. And over the years he bred out the BLUE colors. However, in doing research on many breeds of fowl you will find that many had a blue in them some where. I obtained my Nigger Roundheads from Jack Wactor SR. the son of Sam Wactor, in the last few years Jack Wactor's son Jack Wactor Jr. sold some of his fowl in the Gamecock. I talked to Jack Wactor SR. on the phone a few weeks ago and he said that he had given all the fowl to his handler. However, Jack Wactor SR. told me that he had sent me the best fowl he had and that the handler in fact did not have some of the Blood lines that he had sent me due to a problem with varmits and dogs. I will continue to raise and test the Nigger Roundheads as they cross very well with my other fowl. The following history was written by JACK WACTOR SR. and sent to me so I could share it with anyone who was interested.

18. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you enjoy the history of the Nigger Roundheads as much as I did. "My father, Sam Wactor got started in the game chicken life at the tender age of 8 years old. Burnell Shelton had country walks near my father's farm and he began using him to help catch his chickens. Shelton gave him a yard of chickens that same year which he bred and kept pure for years.As much as he liked his Shelton Roundheads he still was not dominating at the pits. He thought if he found a sure enough outstanding cock he would breed him over some of his roundhead hens. Charlie Knapp a New Orleans banker, close friend and supporters of Sam's told him if he ever saw the rooster he wanted he would buy it for him. In January 1921, while at a main in New Orleans, LA, a man named Grimme, who was a shoe cobbler from Yazoo City, MS, fought an absolutely awesome rooster. The rooster was fought twice that day and won both fights quick. Sam knew he found what he had been searching for and as agreed Knapp bought the rooster and paid a $100's. The rooster was a dark brown-red with a dark face, eyes and legs. Sam bred the cock over 9 Shelton Roundhead hens (some yellow legs and some white) and all the biddies came dark. He only bred the Grimme cock for one season because he was killed by his offspring and he never bred back to the Roundhead side.

20. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of this breeding he raised an outstanding rooster he called Trotter. Trotter proved to be such an exceptional rooster he continued to breed him over his daughters and then granddaughters and so on for twelve straight years and he always bred to the black side. No out-crossing was ever attempted. Fresh blood was added within the family using the dominate stag over the yard and Trotter in the brood pens. So the Nigger Roundheads are actually half Shelton Roundhead and half Grimmie. They were originally called Black Trotters, Trotter Roundheads and Nigger Trotters. Eventually they picked up the name Nigger Roundheads and this name stuck with them over the years. My belief is the name Black Travelers is just a deviation of the Black Trotters.
    The Nigger Roundheads of Sam Wactor have been kept pure and have maintained their absolute gameness, body structure and feathers. No infusing of out side blood to date." {This is a direct quote from the letter sent to me by Jack Wactor (Sam Wactor's son)}. Jack L. Wactor also stated on the phone that Sam Wactor did in fact sell many of the "Nigger Roundheads" to William McRae and that they were sent to the Islands. In fact he sold William McRae a whole yard of Nigger Roundheads. In picture's that have been traded between Jack and I, I am of the belief that the Black McRae's are of mostly "Nigger Roundhead" blood with other strains of fowl being added to the Nigger Roundheads from time to time by William McRae. But that the Nigger Roundheads are the dominate strain of fowl used in the make up of the Black McRae's.

22. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

in oakridge i saw this year two diferent stags as you described,the others were black but with plenty red in the face.one was said to be from the "money'' line of el paso texas, but i wasn't able to trace his origin,i'm interested in the full black ones but i haven't found the breeders if they still keep them.

thanks
    There still around my friend had a pair but cut back when he was moveing and sold them to one of his friends

Post Thanks / Like

felicitaciones ronco,congratulations,in the same batch what percentage approximate comes with the full black face?

thanks
    Amigo on my "NRH pures" 100% come black faced and on the crosses like with Sid Taylor a 85%, with Chocolate Gray about a 50% with Hatch/Kelso a 50% also with Cocolate Gray/BrownRed a 90%
    Ronco

25. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 808manok View Post
    Ronco nice NRH I like the dark fowl good job sir
    Amigo Muchas Gracias I have found that they are solid and also beautiful feathered Game Fowls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RONCOVOICE View Post
    Amigo Muchas Gracias I have found that they are solid and also beautiful feathered Game Fowls.
    ronco,do you have a picture of a Nhr x Black mcrae cross?just curious.

gracias,mi amigo.

Post Thanks / Like

Nigger Roundheads

I have just recently got a pair of these nigger RHs they are brother sister and for as me and my friend knows they have never been breed like this would it be safe to breed like this. I also got a Grey x Nigger cross not the same nigger blood from 2 different people or should I bred the Grey x Nigger over the Nigger hen and go like that or should I go with the brother and sister. What does everyone think

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nigger Roundheads

Better to cross them until you see if they any count. That bro/sis route you need to raise a lot of poultry from a VERY solid bloodline. Have fun with cross's get you a good hatch family. Find you a mentor/"old timer" that can learn you the ropes

30. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the first option. The latter would be for stock. A good Claret Cock over your Black Roundhead hens rings a bell for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, if it were ME.. id go right straight to the brother sister cross, can still make the other cross to the grey rh, and test them good and hard, so you will know for one what they have in them as it will come out, and two youll know if they can take it atleast, and three you will have a head start on setting them as a family now that they are in your hands since you dont have the history of them, and four, youll have inbred stags and pullets, most notably in my mind the pullets.. which if the line is any good after this, will be very valuable to you in your future cross breedings.. so youll kill alot of birds with one stone, and save a year or two doing it, if you do the rh grey cross, and they suck, youll have to wait if your giving them an honost chance, and breed it anyways the next year so you can properly evaluate the line of nigger rh and see if it was what caused the cross to fail.. and also, the cross on the grey rh, since the RH blood in the grey rh hen is from a different breeder ,is going to be a 3way cross you will only be able to make for a limited amount of time, till the hen dies.. so its something id do on the side.. but the brother and sister actually puts you in the drivers seat to keep and maintain a straight bred line of dark fowl for years to come if they suit you, so id certainly breed the brother and sister together immediately out of the gate if it were me and I wanted to have a Nigger RH line on my yard in the future, givem good care, and plenty of attention, and if they are any good at all, the inbreeding wont hurt them anyways just one time. if they are half way pure, it should make the stags all more conformed and thats in abilities as well as looks , but if they have something in them, they may look all different but theyll begin to breed truer and atleast maybe they all act and show the same! hope tis Helps, ~ Hotcocker.
    Last edited by Hotcocker; June 9th, 2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: elaborations

33. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i would prob do a bro/sis mating thou i don't believe in it, but i would also have the nigger cock in 3 separate pens, single mating.picture above is a from the late clinis hall, he sent me when a purchase a trio awhile back, i no longer breed them, not to my liking, prefer my velcros or mcraes, but they did ok when bred to lemons, performed well.
    1 pen: bro/sis
    2 pen:nigger cock with a grey/nigger hen
    3 pen: nigger cock with a proven kelso hen
    (next breeding season, plenty of material to work with, plenty to test also, you'll learn alot more quickly about the nigger by singlemating the cock in a few pens

35. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Hotcocker nailed this one. That bro/sis mating won't hurt if its the 1st time. Fastest way to find out what your working with. You can always do the cross too.
    I just got a Nig RH cock and 3 hens myself. 2 Of the hens are sisters and the other is completely unrelated. Cock is not related to the sister hens at all. But is from the same family as the other hen. I'll be single mating to see which hen produces the lesser stags. So that hen can be eliminated. Hopefully, the other 2 produce quality so I can have 2 lines to breed from.

Post Thanks / Like

Question nigger roundheads

what was crossed to make this bloodline i just got a pair and would like to know more about them

Post Thanks / Like

39. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ronco,do you have a picture of a Nhr x Black mcrae cross?just curious.

gracias,mi amigo.
    Amigo I meant to answer you post but some how I forgot I am sorry.
    And the answer to thats is:
    I do not own any blood of any Mcrae fowls.
    I used to have some of Rick Albright's Mcraes but I lost it and never bred them pure and a small yard accident they got killed.
    So the only "Blacks" pure Blood lines I have
    are Black Rounhead (NRH), Sid Taylor, Brown Red, Red Quill and Mclean.
    Gracias
    Ronco