Thread: Kahig and Sampi

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Kahig and Sampi

I hope im not posting a question that has already been addressed in another post but i wasn't able to find the information i wanted through searching.

Read the following in a blog recently and wanted to know what others thought about this method of training and more importantly how long and often do you Kahig. The same for Sampi. What type of bird if any does this method work best with. We have mainly puerto rican crosses used for postiza battles.

Here is the clip..

Kahig and Sampi
    Kahig is executed by holding cocks by the tail and setting them on the ground face to face, barely beyond pecking distance. In their effort to go at each other, the cocks would push and claw with their legs and feet against the ground. What is important about kahig is that it is a negative strength exercise,meaning muscles are exercised while lengthening not while shortening. Remember when the cock strikes its muscles are lengthening.
    Sampi is done as continuation of kahig, by allowing the cocks still held, by the tails to barely hit each other on a controlled break. The effect of sampi is:because the cocks are held by the tail when they go at each other, they will go vertical not horizontal. This will develop their wing muscles and enhance their-instinct to break higher.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.
    Teno

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kahig and Sampi

Part of the routine workout of Filipino Sabungeros for their feathered warriors. It works really well.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Kahig and Sampi

It works for Filipino Sabungeros most of the time................................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teno View Post
    I hope im not posting a question that has already been addressed in another post but i wasn't able to find the information i wanted through searching.

Read the following in a blog recently and wanted to know what others thought about this method of training and more importantly how long and often do you Kahig. The same for Sampi. What type of bird if any does this method work best with. We have mainly puerto rican crosses used for postiza battles.

Here is the clip..

Kahig and Sampi
    Kahig is executed by holding cocks by the tail and setting them on the ground face to face, barely beyond pecking distance. In their effort to go at each other, the cocks would push and claw with their legs and feet against the ground. What is important about kahig is that it is a negative strength exercise,meaning muscles are exercised while lengthening not while shortening. Remember when the cock strikes its muscles are lengthening.
    Sampi is done as continuation of kahig, by allowing the cocks still held, by the tails to barely hit each other on a controlled break. The effect of sampi is:because the cocks are held by the tail when they go at each other, they will go vertical not horizontal. This will develop their wing muscles and enhance their-instinct to break higher.

Teno
    You have to be careful in doing the sampi especially on strong ang aggressive cocks. Accidents happen and injuries occur on either one or both. Sometimes one cock have a longer neck and when he tries to peck the other cock it reaches the eyes and making the cock blind. Better be safe by not doing this kind of exercise. Rotation and spar is the best kind of excercise and practise. This is the old style of exercise of chickens back when american fowls is not yet as common as today. Just my opinion anyways.
    Last edited by gintong itlog; June 12th, 2012 at 05:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the clip..

Kahig and Sampil push and claw with their legs and feet against the ground. What is , by allowing the cocks still held, by the tails to barely hit each other on a controlled break. The effect of sampi is:because the cocks are held by the tail when they go at each other, they will go vertical not horizontal. This will develop their wing muscles and enhance their-instinct to break higher.

Teno

There is controversy regarding these exercises but as with everything else you just need to try it for yourself and see the results.

We still do these exerises but let me add my reason in addition to the excellent explanation you already posted.

I find this extremely useful for STAG mental conditioning. As we all know mental conditioning is a very important factor in stag fighting. The sampi allows the roosters to practice throwing shots at the live opponent several times without being damaged themselves. The only alternative i know is very frequent short spars. However, with all the power being bred into the stags nowadays, even short spars can inflict a lot of damage. So we do short spars only 2 X a week. The daily sampi allows them to stretch their legs and extend in order to hit an incoming target.

Please note that during the sampi, they should NOT be hitting each other otherwise you can end up with broken shank bones. Proper handling using the tail base and NOT the TAIL FEATHERS is critical. It also allows the handler to raise the rooster to vertical so that he gets a feel of having his legs far in front of him.

Even for cocks, the sampi is also useful, as it helps eliminate the "giri" or flirting. If the rooster is conditioned to know that everytime he gets into the rueda and is made to face another rooster, that there will be a fight, they are more alert and expect to hit not to mate. Again this should be coupled with regular short spars.

Along with the Jump Pens, Flypens, Scratch Pen rotation, the sampi and a little kahig before the sampi plus the punching bag flying catch cock routines are all we do. im not a fan of table work ;-)

But again, to each his own, what is important is that you are having fun winnng all the way to the bank!
    Last edited by jailbird; June 12th, 2012 at 06:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. makes a lot of sense..now how often do i do these exercises and for how long?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Kahig and Sampi

Thanks for the replies guys. makes a lot of sense..now how often do i do these exercises and for how long?
    The Guys do it every morning and before feeding in the evening , good for 21 days during training, just good for 10 minutes maximum....