Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Islands
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    Hey all just wondering if anyone can help me out on mr. blevins hatch mecleans? really intrested on everyones pro's and con's on his fowl... i just obtained a pure hatch mclean brood from his 07' production and curious is it worth using for a foundation. the fowl personally looks great and reacts great for a 5 year old cock. so any thoughts would be great. thanks all....

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    MidWest
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    I know Blevins for their Wingates....other than that... whatever they have sounds new to me...

    hope to hear some folks input ...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kakahna671's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hagat, Guahan
    Posts
    579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    Quote Originally Posted by greenlegs View Post
    I know Blevins for their Wingates....other than that... whatever they have sounds new to me...

    hope to hear some folks input ...
    Greenlegs, I was going over the February 2012 issue of the Gamecock cause I wanted to know too. Thompson Valley Show Bird Farm, still have their awesome Brownreds, but he also has Johnny Jumper of all breeds. Brood fowl of pure McLean Hatch, Blueface Hatch, Albany, Kelso, Regular Grey, and Radios. He had his Wingate BrownReds and Hatch fowl for 51 years, and he's Johnny Jumper for 22 years.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kakahna671 View Post
    Greenlegs, I was going over the February 2012 issue of the Gamecock cause I wanted to know too. Thompson Valley Show Bird Farm, still have their awesome Brownreds, but he also has Johnny Jumper of all breeds. Brood fowl of pure McLean Hatch, Blueface Hatch, Albany, Kelso, Regular Grey, and Radios. He had his Wingate BrownReds and Hatch fowl for 51 years, and he's Johnny Jumper for 22 years.
    When it was legal, and he showed in the gaff, his fame came for the Blueface-Brownred crosses. I don't know about this other stuff. I have not heard much about him in recent years...

  5. #5
    Member N.C. flarry eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    c u there
    Posts
    438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    i never had any of his fowl but he is not to far away and a lot of people around here says he peddles junk, and that he has ruined more beginers than anybody, i dont know but i havent heard of many people buying fowl from him and winning big either and he has sold chickens a long time,but i have never had a personal experience with his fowl, what all i have heard has been bad

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Islands
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    well for what it's worth i'm just hearing everything about him here. i never delt with him personally but the fowl i obtained was tagged with a wing band and confirmed according to the guy i got it from. he had talked to mr. blevins personally and everything matched up on arrival. so if anyone has herd about his mclean hatches that would be great. other then that i have herd everything about his brownreds for myself and seen them, to me there awesome but i was just curious about this fowl i aquired and if it's worth my time to use him next season for a foundation. i also obtained a nice bunch from jeremy chandler sweater/roundheads & sweater/kelso's wich are working out great. i noticed that there very active fowl wich fits me right and i was wondering would anyone know how to properly breed a 2 way cross. thanks again

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    About 8 or 9 years ago I bought a trio of Radios from a riend of mine he had got them direct from Belvins the orginal cock and hens had his wing band in them it had his name and number on the band. So I called Belvins and he told me that he would look over his record book and check the wing band for me to see if I got a true trio that came fom him. A couple days later he called me back and told me that they came from him and he told me all about the trio how good they were so I breed them. I wish I had killed them before I even bought them they were junk everything they throwed ran or would quit. I called hi back and he told me that someone probably ordered wing bands with his name and numbers on it that he had superb cocks they were 100% good. No junk here he said maybe you showed them to early How do you show a 2 year old cock too early I had even hacked the brood cock from the trio and he ran so he was probably 4 or 5 years old then but I showed them too early or someone ordered bands with his name and numbers on them. They just happened to get 3 wing bands with his name and numbers right 1 cock band and 2 hen bands that had all his righ info on them man I wish I was that good to get that lucky 3 times I would have played the lottery. This is my experience but I do know soeone that has got his Brownreds and they are game too the bone and they are excellent cocks.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    MidWest
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    yeah... a friend ordered 2 dozen eggs and none hatched... no replacement either and would not accept any fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by mugcocker007 View Post
    About 8 or 9 years ago I bought a trio of Radios from a riend of mine he had got them direct from Belvins the orginal cock and hens had his wing band in them it had his name and number on the band. So I called Belvins and he told me that he would look over his record book and check the wing band for me to see if I got a true trio that came fom him. A couple days later he called me back and told me that they came from him and he told me all about the trio how good they were so I breed them. I wish I had killed them before I even bought them they were junk everything they throwed ran or would quit. I called hi back and he told me that someone probably ordered wing bands with his name and numbers on it that he had superb cocks they were 100% good. No junk here he said maybe you showed them to early How do you show a 2 year old cock too early I had even hacked the brood cock from the trio and he ran so he was probably 4 or 5 years old then but I showed them too early or someone ordered bands with his name and numbers on them. They just happened to get 3 wing bands with his name and numbers right 1 cock band and 2 hen bands that had all his righ info on them man I wish I was that good to get that lucky 3 times I would have played the lottery. This is my experience but I do know soeone that has got his Brownreds and they are game too the bone and they are excellent cocks.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Islands
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    damn that's all i was wondering cause all the news that i was hearing and reading were just to crazy... yes i have a wing band with his name production year and regular fowl number wich all matched up as it was ordered in. i just never delt with his fowl personally like i was saying i was just curious cause all i hear is about his wingate brown reds but none of any pure hatch mcleans that i came across. this bird was supposedlly a brood stock and i don't know anything about it. he does show nice, his plumage is great and he hasn't shown any awkwardness during his spar. being that he is a pure i was wondering about farm quality and was he worth my time to use his as a foundation for atleast i once cross try out. well i have him now and i hope his strain doesn't fool me. i have been looking for a pure mclean and being that i got him on a good deal as he arrived i didn't wanna pass it up. well i'm still open for any thoughts on a mclean from blevins. so if anyone has tried something with this strain please let me in on it. if one thing i don't wanna do is re-sale this fowl and that would mean i'm gonna loose out on $500 bucks. that would suck.....

  10. #10
    Member ridgerunner 2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    I do not know Larry Blevins personally saw him a few times at Del Rio.I will relate to you what i saw back in the seventies.Out in the parking lot i saw him putting 4 to six green leg pea combed pullets into the back of his truck with camper cover.The derby started and i was sitting next to Curtis Blackwell.Larry was handling for Curtis.Curtis lost about 4 in a row all pure Mcleans.Curtis was upset as could not stand to lose.The cocks fought great just one of those days 2 broke legs etc.The last cock he fought was one of the most beautiful hatch cocks i have ever seen.He won going away blowing through the other cock winning in the 1st pitting.I offered to buy the cock.Curtis said he had sold him to Larry B.He also said he let Larry have the pullets.So Larry does or did have some outstanding mcleans.

    C G

  11. #11
    Senior Member sucess gamefarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    Use ur search tool you will find alot of simulare statements of his fowl. The reason why no one post on here is probly because there is another thread on Blevins and people who been here awhile just pass on another blevin thread.Got a call from Larry Blevins last night lol,
    Larry Blevins , Blevins Brownred ( 1 2)
    Larry Blevins Brownred??? ( 1 2 3) , Thompson Valley/Blevins"Wingate Brown Red's" an theres alot more

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Islands
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    hey ridgerunner, thanks alot man... now that was alot of what i was wanting to hear on his mcleans. so you think that it all started from blackwell, that's fine with me also. well before i even got to the next upcoming breeding season i ended up letting him go. i didn't want the what if's or even the chance of disaster. so i just asked around who was wailling to take a chance on this fowl i had. i didn't wanna seem like a peddler myself. well according to everything said in the forums i am overwelmed about the blevins character and i'm thankful that sabong offers all cockers the chance to learn from eachother about the does and don't of this industry...

    hey seccess gamefarm, yes i did look into other threads i just wanted to hear answers that i had or i could understand for myself in wich i posted this. thanks alot though for that.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Islands
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    hey all is there a intant chat room in here....? that would be awesome to chat straight up besided waiting for like a email.

  14. #14
    cockfighter_199
    Guest

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    Quote Originally Posted by N.C. flarry eye View Post
    i never had any of his fowl but he is not to far away and a lot of people around here says he peddles junk, and that he has ruined more beginers than anybody, i dont know but i havent heard of many people buying fowl from him and winning big either and he has sold chickens a long time,but i have never had a personal experience with his fowl, what all i have heard has been bad
    Well that's what I've heard.I was going to a mma event one day not too long ago and passed through Virginia and realized I saw a sign that said Thompson Valley,and say a lot of pens and barrels,I figured it was Larry Blevins.I didn't have the time so I kept driving.When I posted on here that I think i passed Larrys place I got multiple responses that it was best that I kept on driving and didn't stop,so all I've ever heard was bad.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    Larry bought 5 or 6 trios from me several years ago if i remember right he bought 2 or 3 Mclean trios also roundheads and greys.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    Any new info on Larry's fowls

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: LARRY F. BLEVINS???

    all i can say is no good no good at all i wouldnt even drop a nickel on his birds

Similar Threads

  1. Got a call from Larry Blevins last night lol
    By BlackhammerFarm in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: January 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
  2. Larry Blevins
    By cockfighter_199 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: August 17th, 2011, 04:26 AM
  3. Larry Blevins Brownred???
    By DIESEL2007 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
  4. Larry Blevins Brownreds
    By cockfighter_199 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 25th, 2010, 05:24 AM
  5. Larry blevins brownred
    By DIESEL2007 in forum Chicken Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 9th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •