Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Late hatching

Post Thanks / Like

Late hatching

A guy told me a few days ago that if you have chicks that hatch in June or later then they won't grow up to be big cocks they will only be around 4 pounds is this true.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Late hatching

it has some truth to it, if you hatch summer chicks they grow slow, due to heat just like anything else you dont want to be out in it, they eat less and move around less the mama hen doesnt take them out as much either, they will be a bit smaller then your other birds and will take longer to grow to their "full" size but im sure they will be over 4 pounds

Post Thanks / Like

Yes unfortunetly it is true....and its not only the size difference that affects them either....they're slow growers ..and not as healthy..active..or never have as much stamina as a march or early april hatched bird...You need to hatch your young as early as possible...I never let hens set this late in the year...ever...its basically just a waste of time and money....

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the help guys

Post Thanks / Like

It's a gamble sometimes they are small moreless culls.but a few years ago i bred up some grey/brownred=Black grey and they all where big cocks that weighed in the mid 5's.Sometimes not only will they be light they will be low to med station.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a flip of a coin I had to hatch late due to problems with my hens just give them good feed and keep them in a shaded or cooler spot in the yard

7. Likes MarshButcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I hatched them in an incubator the put them in a brooder would they be fine or still have the same effect

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep the feed poured to em and keep the vitamins in there water and keep them wormed and they should be fine.

10. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have mine in a fly pen in my cock house it has ac it they seem to be alright don't know if you have that luxury but that's what my dad told me to do

Post Thanks / Like

I only like to breed pure if its late in the season but stuff happends an a couple good hens go down. then i say well they might be dynomite then leave them.lol but if youre to breed late make it pure or naturally big birds.

13. Likes flyer34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

to some it is diiferent last year we hatched some off in july and they are big body stags around high 4lbs to low 5 lbs and there height are medium or taller. i think its what breeding materials that you have and the proper care of the young ones. jmho aloha

Post Thanks / Like

if you have late hatches pen em up from day one plenty of fresh water and feed worm a little more often than free range you will have normal size fowl i never hatch after may i start in december

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blades61 View Post
    if you have late hatches pen em up from day one plenty of fresh water and feed worm a little more often than free range you will have normal size fowl i never hatch after may i start in december

I totally agree, If you seperate your stags in good size pens and good feed and water, they will gain the size and feather quicker, I have some greys now that I had to seperate 2 of them early and they already look like the daddy to their brothers still running free. They will be more hardy and in shape on free range, but it's always amazing what penning and seperation can do

17. Likes TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As long as you supplement what ever there missing,youre stags will,grow to be the same size and height as early hatched some say this because the late ones dont get enough insects or fruits since its already late..but im from the desert so preety much we dont have either of them..we just give more water with vitamins and more food to the late ones..

19. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Late hatched chicks

I got most of the biddies hatched off that I wanted this year, but would like to get a couple hatchings of my pure stuff. My question is, is that I should be good to get the hens to laying and hach off another setting shouldn't I?

Post Thanks / Like

i have no choice because my earlier breeding were stolen...just keep fresh water with supplements all the time and give vit ad&e and strong egg supplement to your broodhens and select the eggs to hatch...i discard the smaller eggs...i feed grow gel and eggs for the first day and followed with medicated manna pro chick starter for the first month...i also give dextrose powder, molasses, and nutri drench...they're just as good as spring chickens...

Post Thanks / Like

If you hen hatch and let the hen raise them, put them in a pen from day one. make sure they have plenty of shade and fresh food & water infront of them they will do fine. if you have a pen that the chicks cant get out of it works even better from my expirence. like a good fly pen. i have some hens laying right now they will probly set out and hatch mid to late july.. best of luck too all late hachings, it diffrent for everyone and every bird.

Post Thanks / Like

Climate does matter as to their size. The first year I lived here with fowl I didnt hatch untill June and July because it stays cold so darn late here. Its different than where I used to be.

Well the Stags I raised were all Small and Pretty short stationed. Some of the hens only matured out at about two and a half pounds. I think the Cold weather in the spring does them some good.
    The next year I let the hens set as soon as they wanted to, Some as early as Feb. Thats as early as it's gonna happen here We usually still have two feet of snow in Jan. Well the stags I got that year were much larger and just more robust than the year before.

Post Thanks / Like

Fire ants been tearing my later hatches up this year Only thing I see different are size of chicks. If they hatch out big & strong they do good as any. The small punny ones usually dont make it. I think alot has to do with health of the hen & good feed & water. A comfortable nest too! I have had a bumper year for raising this year Got about 3-400 all hen hatched, super ratio stags to pullets.
    Attached Images Attached Images

25. Likes GalloSkullCross liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man 400 hen hatched , that's a lot of work and not just for the hens . I think I had like 7 or 8 hens here at one point and its a mind twister trying to remember who is hatching what and when , even had one sitting on two different crosses ....
    . I'm also late hatching right now. I bought a trio on Easter Sunday, I know its kinda late but I was just hoping for at least one setting . I put one hen whit a grey and the other pure . Well the hen in the pure mating wasn't laying good . Just my luck , well she's sitting on some eggs now hope I get something from them . I Don't care how late .

Post Thanks / Like

One of my weeks old dibbie got hurt by a hen. I separated him in a pen away from his brothers. I don't understand how he grew bigger now than his bro's who were free ranging at the time. Does temperature got to do how they grow? He was in a garage, kinda of good temp I would say. He was with feed and water 24/7.

Post Thanks / Like

i have had it hap[pen both ways, i have yard raised them late and the outcome was smaller birds, and i have hatched them off in the pens late and kept them penned and fed them and they grew up to be average size birds so it all differs i guess.

Post Thanks / Like

A guy told me today that if you hatch chickens in May that they will be less active almost tires more often? Has anyone heard anything like this? Or is it bs lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckscocks View Post
    Yes unfortunetly it is true....and its not only the size difference that affects them either....they're slow growers ..and not as healthy..active..or never have as much stamina as a march or early april hatched bird...You need to hatch your young as early as possible...I never let hens set this late in the year...ever...its basically just a waste of time and money....
    Sir in the north hens dont lay December to February. Mine just started laying this month. I get 5 lb chickens

31. Likes KevinG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had any late hatched fowl come smaller than the earlier ones. Keep em fed good and keep em healthy. I think most of the time when folks start hatching season they take great care of the earlier hatched chicks, and then the later in the hatching season theyre ready for it to be over and they stop giving that little extra care they need like the earlier hatched chicks got. Imo.

33. Likes 808profarm, TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been hatching all the way through June last few years no problems here I can't get nothing hatched off no earlier than April any way but I have a buddy in Texas don't hatch till June and July he has a reason I really don't remember but he sells a lot of roosters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawgreyman14 View Post
    I haven't had any late hatched fowl come smaller than the earlier ones. Keep em fed good and keep em healthy. I think most of the time when folks start hatching season they take great care of the earlier hatched chicks, and then the later in the hatching season theyre ready for it to be over and they stop giving that little extra care they need like the earlier hatched chicks got. Imo.
    that makes sense.........

36. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing will be as active in July heat and after the green stuff has matured .... Spring is God's time for raising babies so there's not much else to say about that ..... You only get one shot at raising them right , much of their constitution for their whole life depends on that time frame .... You can fatten them up , muscle them up but can't fix bone or frame after that growth period is gone .... When they take steel it ain't the vitamins or keep feed that they draw on for strength no more than we draw on our dinner when things get rough ... You draw on your raising !

38. Likes rogeroleo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mentor told me if he got eggs past March he tossed the eggs. No matter what.

40. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the weather. Where I am at the temp never gets up in the 90's. Usually early mornings in the 60's then to about mid 80's. An ideal weather all year long to raise chicks. I have been force moulting a few hens each year to breed during the moulting season. All of my chicks whether hatched early or late seem to grow normal. At times my bigger stags were late hatched. I just put some stags on strings that were hatched early October. Most of my stags are hen hatched and only a few are hatched in an incubator and I can't see any difference in size or health. In my opinion, it depends on the care they receive. If it was extremely hot or cold, sure it will affect their size as I won't be with them as much to provide they with proper care.

42. Likes lawgreyman14 liked this post