Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Late hatching

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Late hatching

As long as the biddys are big fluffy and healthy they grow fine. I get weak frail puny ones when it gets to hot. Fireants usually put stop to my late hatching All hen hatched and hen raised here also. My hens lay 10-14 eggs set then may do a second clutch. The hen alway recovers after and before laying again. You keep the laying and incubating I could see a big fall off on later stuff.

2. Likes Quapaw Kid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What methods do you use to force molt your chickens?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflop View Post
    It depends on the weather. Where I am at the temp never gets up in the 90's. Usually early mornings in the 60's then to about mid 80's. An ideal weather all year long to raise chicks. I have been force moulting a few hens each year to breed during the moulting season. All of my chicks whether hatched early or late seem to grow normal. At times my bigger stags were late hatched. I just put some stags on strings that were hatched early October. Most of my stags are hen hatched and only a few are hatched in an incubator and I can't see any difference in size or health. In my opinion, it depends on the care they receive. If it was extremely hot or cold, sure it will affect their size as I won't be with them as much to provide they with proper care.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it does play a role when they are hatched hot cold free range caged a buddy of mine brought some hatch Kelsos and they were lil over 4.3 4.2 hard to match up in a show really game tho

Post Thanks / Like

Its been a strange spring for me here in northern missouri. Decided to hen hatch everything this time around. The weather has been cold and rainy, I have my woodfurnace going today, may-17. Almost all my hens started setting late, around april 20 until now, gonna have late hatches. I've only had one clutch of redfox greys so far with 17 more hens setting for not many days. I've had this before but not many years where I lose a full month. Strange weather I think slowed them up. Anyone else had this this year?

Post Thanks / Like

003.jpg 007.jpg 013.jpg 022.jpg 129.jpg

Was busy yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

blueface hen hatched 11 Allen round and blueface cross yesterday and a claret hen hatched 11 yesterday. After having incubator problems iv finally got about 100 hatched off by hen's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

These are my first this year and they are 2 weeks old tomorrow. Got a hen due to hatch today or tomorow, some in the bator due 2 weeks from tomorow and a couple nests that I wish the hens go on n get broody.

9. Likes steel city, laguardia, don128, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don, this has been the best weather I can remember for a spring down here. Usually its so hot and muggy by now. I guess the blessing of an extended spring for us has been more of a curse for yall. Best of luck. YFIS Nauvoo

11. Likes steel city liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep you a bottle of Sulmet handy for raising late hatched chicks. At the first sign of droopy wings or just sickliness in general, give them 2 tablespoons to each gallon of water. I normally give late hatched biddies some every 2 weeks just to curb any of the hot weather related problems.

13. Thanks Nauvoo thanked for this post
    Likes don128, BamaOkie, GalloSkullCross liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess she was due to hatch today, got in from work n I've seen 4 little heads so far, she hasn't gotten em off the nest yet. Other good news is my 12 year old Quill is still a producer, I seen 2 solid brown heads in there n only he or my Leiper could have topped her.

15. Likes CA whitetoppy06, steel city liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump this thread what months do you consider late breed

dec-march=early
    April-June =getting late
    july-aug= late

what you guys think

17. Likes steel city liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopNotchfarms View Post

dec-march=early
    April-June =getting late
    july-aug= late

what you guys think
    I'm still hen hatching this time of the year Just put 13 eggs setting yesterday under grey hen her 2nd clutch and got her sister laying again now going back for round 2 but will b done when she hatches them off these will b my last of the year . To me it all depends on your facilities and your place of u have plenty shade and good grass to where the babies can stay cool and have plenty bugs then I don't see y late hatching some would b a problem. But if u have no shade and babies will b out in sun all the time then yes I can see where that would cause them to not eat as much and become smaller then the ones hatched off earlier Everyone is different and we all may have different opinions but the only way to know for sure is do it and see how it turns out for u. Me personally on my place with the shade I have I don't have a problem. It actually works better for me if I dont start to hatch any till around march and try to not go later then June JMHO
    Last edited by steel city; May 16th, 2017 at 01:31 AM.

19. Likes CA whitetoppy06, TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me Christmas till end of Feb is early, March n April is right, and May or after is late. I always shot for being done by first of April but always found myself still hatching something around then tho. This year was no different but only a few that I wasn't expecting.

Wayside Gamefarm UGBA, ALGBA, and MSGBA Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TopNotchfarms View Post

dec-march=early
    April-June =getting late
    july-aug= late

what you guys think
    That is how I think. Like I said earlier the size of the chicks hatched usually tells me when its time to quit for the year. The fire ants ruining nests too

22. Likes TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i got off to a late start and i use hens to hatch bitties . looks like i will be doing lots of late hatching this year.

24. Likes BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys since we're talking about hatching I have a question when you're doing hen hatching. Do you remove the eggs as the hen lays them and then put them back once the hen gets broody? Or do you just leave the eggs and never touch them?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

only time i touch them is when i am gonna let another hen settem. hens tend not to like you messing with there clutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by girofrost1 View Post
    Hey guys since we're talking about hatching I have a question when you're doing hen hatching. Do you remove the eggs as the hen lays them and then put them back once the hen gets broody? Or do you just leave the eggs and never touch them?

Last edited by GUSS; May 16th, 2017 at 09:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GUSS View Post
    only time i touch them is when i am gonna let another hen settem. hens tend not to like you messing with there clutch.
    Ok thanks guss.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people remove em and same leave em......jus what ever works for you I leave em in tell they sit....I have a hen that went to sit on 17 eggs on Mother's Day pretty cool

29. Likes trueedge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've hatched some as late as August just have to cull more than usual, main thing is make sure they are healthy and they will be a little smaller. Jmo

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice to hatch them off early enough they have some hard feathers before the spring rains and are too big for snakes to pester when it gets hot ... but not so early they are half grown before the grass/bugs are out for them to eat and then you gotta pen them up in August or so when it's really hot ... I like them to hit penning age when the weather breaks and just hang out in the shade running loose in the heat.

32. Likes CA whitetoppy06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some stags that were hatched last week of October of 2015. Well bullstags. They are reg grey over kelso. Have brothers from 2014 hatched in early april. They are all 4-4.6 roosters no matter when hatched. The thing I don't like about late hatched is the leaves come off in November and nowhere for them to roost and be safe from owls. After first frost they can't have the insects to feed on like older brothers and sisters. Have to pen them earlier.

34. Likes TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by don128 View Post
    Its been a strange spring for me here in northern missouri. Decided to hen hatch everything this time around. The weather has been cold and rainy, I have my woodfurnace going today, may-17. Almost all my hens started setting late, around april 20 until now, gonna have late hatches. I've only had one clutch of redfox greys so far with 17 more hens setting for not many days. I've had this before but not many years where I lose a full month. Strange weather I think slowed them up. Anyone else had this this year?
    Seems to happen to me quite a bit here in Colorado. This year especially. Lose a lot of eggs too due to freezing at the end of April with a blizzard we had 7 inches of snow lol. lot of rain here as well and still have to use the heater at night as well.

36. Likes TopNotchfarms, don128 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a bad season for me. I decided to not use the incubator and rely only on the hens. Boy are they lousy mommas. Most hatch about 5 or 6 out of 12 and then kill one or two during the first week.

I learned to not late hatch because at least around here it isn't worth it--summer is the rainy season and it can really do a number on them especially if the place gets crowded.

I'd rather raise a couple healthy dozen stags than 50 sickly ones.

Post Thanks / Like

This season was good in the early stags then toward the middle hens were acting now there all hatching the last of the batches got some leiper x kelsos today couple more days will have some leiper x brown reds then the last hen will hatch some Santa Rosa whites looking forword to those bad boys.....this the latest I ever hatched so will see

39. Likes steel city liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on location and availability to good grass fresh water and lots of feed. Now one year I had broke up a brood pen in the late fall. I had a man that wanted some eggs. Well the hen went to setting and it was getting cold. The cock had been gone for some time so I figured I would clean the nest out and pen in a week or two. Well she hatched 14 biddies. I just half assed let them stay in the brood pen thinking they would be gone in a few days. After a week I opened the door and turned them out. It was late October by then. I figured the weather would cull them. Well we had snow early and a cold fall and winter. Now these were Frost greys. At 14 months, yes they all made it. The stags were 5.12 and up at 2 years old they cocked at 6.2 to 6.12. We showed them in a shake derby and went 5 and 1 with them. So there you go. My frosts would normally mature at 5.5 plus or minus a couple ounces. Even out of the same cock and hen. So you never know. Lots of the old timers would raise battle cross all spring then late spring early summer raise there straight stuff.

41. Likes roostercm, steel city, JLF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nearly every year I have a hen or two that doesn't get caught back up after the summer. They will set and hatch a clutch out in October or so. Usually they come a little smaller but seem to do well as all the big compitition is caught up by then. This past year I had a hen raise 5 brothers. They won't be 2 years old until Oct. but all 5 have won a blue ribbon already. The biggest one weighs 4-15 and the smallest 4-9. That's the only. Thing I see different from the early hatched cousins.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I would consider October a very early hatch or a very late hatch. Bugs would be getting less and weather here would be getting a little better. Never tried to hatch at that time. In Florida it might be a good idea. They would be feathered out well enough before any chance of cold and mosquito and deerflys less. Just a thought, usually have all my place can stand after April early May.

44. Thanks LaBlue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Operation Sportsman
    8 spangles 7 leipers 3 leiper/lacey And only 2 of my favorite cross Claret/Lacey/Hatch

46. Likes CA whitetoppy06, TopNotchfarms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My luck with late hatch were easy to track. I bred a family of RHs for many years. When they were early hatch they were always between 4-14 and 5-2, With no outliers. No big birds or small ones. However June hatch of the same family were 4-10 to 4-14. The late hatch were just as good at 2 years as the early hatch but 4 oz. smaller. I live in the Mojave desert region where the summers are hot and the humidity is 20% or less most of the time.
    So for me it made a difference in size but not quality.