Thread: Earthquake and eggs phenomenon!

Post Thanks / Like

Earthquake and eggs phenomenon!

Has anyone ever proved or disproved the theory of earthquakes ruining the hatch rate of eggs? Does earthquakes actually ruin them and somehow the hens sense that their eggs are not worth sitting on after a tremor? Any thoughts or comments on this age old phenomenon will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. YIS...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Earthquake and eggs phenomenon!

my uncle produce very little this year and he claims that it was because of the earthquakes. he has about 10 hens. my cousin produced more than twice the amount with only a trio. the hens on both yards were sitting on eggs at the same time that the earthquakes hit. it was several of them too.
    so i dont belive that earthquakes have a affect on hatching.

Post Thanks / Like

I know thunder has an effect on my hatching rate. Have you guys experienced this?

Post Thanks / Like

On the island of Hawaii we have earthquakes almost daily. Sometimes it is felt only on certain locations but closer to the active volcano is felt often. Eggs still hatch even during lightning and thunder if the brood stock is housed properly in good facilities. jmo.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never heard about earthquakes and lightning affecting it. But in mexico we believe that an eclipse will damage the embryo and and the eggs will never hatch. If you put a piece of metal inside the nest before the eclipse begins they wont be harmed. Dont kno if its true but i preffer not to take the risk so i do as they say.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the same about the eclipse(eclipsados)also something about the full moon..if you have a batch of eggs and then full moon comes..you discard the batch and start from the full moon..maybe the shock waves of the earthquake reduce the fertility..but I think grabbing an egg will the more harm than lightning and quackes

Post Thanks / Like

I believe alot more then I use to be being around different cockers. It can be a fluke cetain things happen but when they happen more then not then you tend to start believing them. I think eggs can be ruined by to much shaking around so if the force is strong enough at a particular location then it can happen. ElMartyr something could be to that and if they say it happens the old timers been through alot more then we have so for me it pays to listen sometimes. I believe in the moon phases working for certain breeds. Our entry name was always Full Moon and liked to play the greys either right before or on the Full Moon.

Post Thanks / Like
    The earthquakes, thunder and lightening might just freak out hens that aren't used to it? That at least would explain why the Hawaiian hens aren't worried by earthquakes, coz they experience them since they hatch?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! I also heard of the eclipse but that's a first for me in regards to the thunder and lightning! I guess with slight tremors, us as humans don't really feel it but animals can sense, feel, and react to any disturbance mother nature throws at them! Thanks for all your replies and comments... YIS...