Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Methods of Today

Post Thanks / Like

Feeding Methods of Today

I've always enjoyed reading about the Legends, and their feeding methods. There isn't a easy accessible keep out there i've haven't tried to get my hands on. I would like to to know if anyone can add any information from some of the present day top feeders, whether it be eyewittness accounts, conversations or even a keep to share? Hopefully we can get some information about the best feeders from several different countries. When it was legal here in the U.S. a few of the feeders that i remembered always seemed to set down sharp roosters were Bama Sports(Dee Cox), Twin Lakes(Pete Willoughby), Simmy(Scott Baird), Blue Fox Farms(Richourd Wilbourn), Rolling Hills(Charlie Johnson), and Owls Nest(O.W. Lanier)

My small bit of information to add which is no big secret, but has always stuck with me is a conversation i had with Pete Willoughby in his cockhouse at the Bayou Club. "He told me the problem with most people is that they don't have their birds nearly as empty as they think they do".

The other quote is from talking with Rat Graves about feeding, he always said during the last few days when cutting their feed, "Don't feel sorry for them or you'll get them whipped".

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feeding Methods of Today

thats very iteresting. And very true. Saw alott of good birds ruined by the feed cup back when it was legal. I still like reading the old keeps on here. Everyone does a lil something different. Some say give water up to the day of show some say regulate after day before show. same with feed. Lots of diff types of last week snacking also. Years and years of trial and era have produced some odd methods. I guess its just what worked for them and their fowl. wHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT FEED AND WATER LAST FEW DAYS! CURIOUS! YFIS

Post Thanks / Like

If the feed has not changed since the old days, If the feeding method has not changed since the old days, If the vitamins and minerals has not changed since the old days - Why change from the proven old way.

BUT

If feeds, vitamins and minerals has changed. I dont see why the method should not change.

BOTTOMLINE

Every gamefowl player should know his/her gamefowl and every gamefowl player has his method. One thing that separate the famous breeders from a regular hobbyist is that "they know their gamefowls just like they know their own body movements"

Post Thanks / Like

First, I believe you really have to watch the birds, and they will tell, and show you alot if you will just take the time to pay attention. Rat is a good friend of mine, and he helped me develop my philosophy. I keep it simple, I don't believe it's nearly as complicated as some make it out to be if you just have a little common sense. to answer you question simply the last week for a Saturday show at noon, the last week I reduce their feed, increase their rest, pull their water at noon on Friday, feed a teaspoon Friday night, peck of banana Saturday morning, and let em rip back in the day. If they take more than two dips Saturday morning they stay home.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been blessed to have fed for several cockers some old timers who weren't as able as once was, he'll a few times i fed for beginners just to show them that it wasn't the fowls fault they couldn't win it was theirs, them three brothers learned a bunch walking through the keep twice back to back with back to back derby wins, with less than ideal facilities, u need to watch close, but u should be able to get about any mans fowl close on derby day, but to get them ON , everytime you got to know them fowl, and have a little luck, then you can win some derbies

Post Thanks / Like

I just read the Simmy Keep, no water whatsovever the last 3 days. I thought that was interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
    I just read the Simmy Keep, no water whatsovever the last 3 days. I thought that was interesting.
    I have seen this done before several times before. I guess you could say it gained some popularity at one time. Or at least in this area it did.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think you the humidity where you show would make a difference. Probably works well in higher humidity.

Post Thanks / Like

Does he feed wet, last 3 days?

Post Thanks / Like

No, fruit mixture over the food Wednesday, teaspoon of buttermilk on feed Friday, egg whites, that's all I see.

Post Thanks / Like

No, fruit mixture over the food Wednesday, teaspoon of buttermilk on feed Friday, egg whites, that's all I see.
    This is pretty close to the keeps i saw... They just used butter milk and egg whites. This was also used in a hot dry climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Every one does something differnt I don't care for egg whites or buttermilk I only use buttermilk the first day to clean out

Post Thanks / Like

No need for water when Fruit, Buttermilk, and Egg Whites are all roughly above 80% in water content. If they was feeding dry they would be as good as dead with no type of water in 3 days. A cock in good health can regulate his own moister in the right conditions if you get to the point where they are too dry blame yourself for not staying current with the weather conditions and or droppings of your fowl..If it rains or the humidity is higher then you can regulate and try to bring it down if anything its almost always they are too wet rather then to dry cause if they are dry its you can go ahead and blame yourself. The chicken itself is compromised of 75% water.
    Last edited by YeY197; August 5th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My small bit of information to add which is no big secret, but has always stuck with me is a conversation i had with Pete Willoughby in his cockhouse at the Bayou Club. "He told me the problem with most people is that they don't have their birds nearly as empty as they think they do".
    This true I have no scientific backing of this but in my opinion when a cock is near empty a part of his natural instinct kicks in which it increases his senses at all levels from neurological stand point in the muscles to eye sight and so on..Its like survival mode in laymen's terms.This is a critical part to the pointing process.
    Last edited by YeY197; August 5th, 2012 at 01:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote from Shorty Bullocks keep that I wrote down in my book of notes.

"If you are the least bit lazy, you should not even consider being a first class Rooster Man".

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice thread keeping it up....

Post Thanks / Like

I've always enjoyed reading about the Legends, and their feeding methods. There isn't a easy accessible keep out there i've haven't tried to get my hands on. I would like to to know if anyone can add any information from some of the present day top feeders, whether it be eyewittness accounts, conversations or even a keep to share? Hopefully we can get some information about the best feeders from several different countries. When it was legal here in the U.S. a few of the feeders that i remembered always seemed to set down sharp roosters were Bama Sports(Dee Cox), Twin Lakes(Pete Willoughby), Simmy(Scott Baird), Blue Fox Farms(Richourd Wilbourn), Rolling Hills(Charlie Johnson), and Owls Nest(O.W. Lanier)

The other quote is from talking with Rat Graves about feeding, he always said during the last few days when cutting their feed, "Don't feel sorry for them or you'll get them whipped".
    the thing in common all these breeders above have,are great bred cocks,if you can take an ace and make him a little better you done your job,i have had them with just a little bit of feed in there craw in the morning dont know why,and the first one would still hit like a bull,as the day went on they just got better,good bred cocks make good feeders and i feel like all the above have had problems but good bred cocks filled in the gap,im not trying to say dont take good care of them,im just saying good cocks will make good feeders

Post Thanks / Like

Windwalker you hit the nail right square on the head there!!! Theyll make good handlers to lol . Theres no feeding method nor shot pill etc that will make a average cock into an ace. A good breed cock in good health and shape and a lil common sense is all u basiclly need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    the thing in common all these breeders above have,are great bred cocks,if you can take an ace and make him a little better you done your job,i have had them with just a little bit of feed in there craw in the morning dont know why,and the first one would still hit like a bull,as the day went on they just got better,good bred cocks make good feeders and i feel like all the above have had problems but good bred cocks filled in the gap,im not trying to say dont take good care of them,im just saying good cocks will make good feeders
    I agree Johnny Max Thagard told me, "you can only improve them 10% and Screw them up 100%"!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but when aces are meeting aces, i'll take the cock with the better feeder. While talking to Rat Graves i asked did it bother him to meet his own roosters that he sold to someone in the pit and his response was no, i take better care of mine and i'll out feed them.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, but when aces are meeting aces, i'll take the cock with the better feeder. While talking to Rat Graves i asked did it bother him to meet his own roosters that he sold to someone in the pit and his response was no, i take better care of mine and i'll out feed them.
    ***Might also be that he sold them Class B and has the Class A warriors to face them with.

Post Thanks / Like

i know sammy and michael pretty good and hard to believe they win so much usuing pellets.oh ya they been winning in the l/k with those ylg greys good roosters

Post Thanks / Like

Sammy and michale do good with them pellets but there's more to it than that they have good birds and know what works on them birds

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad and Grandfathers never liked giving the birds a lot of water. They got none the first 2 days of the keep or feed for that matter. Later in the keep when the birds stopped drinking,the water was taken away from them until the next work session.

Mark Marsh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsygamefarm View Post
    Sammy and michale do good with them pellets but there's more to it than that they have good birds and know what works on them birds
    And good handling skills..lol..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarshButcher View Post
    My Dad and Grandfathers never liked giving the birds a lot of water. They got none the first 2 days of the keep or feed for that matter. Later in the keep when the birds stopped drinking,the water was taken away from them until the next work session.

Mark Marsh

Very interesting. Thanks for the post sir....

Post Thanks / Like

Ladies and gentlemen, first I would like to say that I'm honored to be on here with you all !! I have trained for the biggest farms in America to compete at the biggest meets in America when it was legal, sunset, bayou, mid America etc. plenty of you probably know me and plenty of you all probably know me personally, since everything is over now I would love to start helping beginners in this sport I feel it's my responsibility to give back to a sport that has given so much to me now lets get ta business on the topic of taking the water away, to be a great feeder you cannot go by a keep that tells you when to pull the water from your roosters you have to learn how to feel moisture in a rooster and adjust accordingly, thanks p.s if anyone needs help with anything please feel free to ask I sit home bored all day and would love to help the beginners out

Post Thanks / Like

Louisianabred this is the kind of information I am talking about, that was a very helpful piece of advice, that got me thinking a little deeper.
    N Most everyone can buy a keep follow it word for word, and your going to get mixed results. The top feeders pay attention to each individual, and make adjustments to that particular cock as needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louisianabred View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, first I would like to say that I'm honored to be on here with you all !! I have trained for the biggest farms in America to compete at the biggest meets in America when it was legal, sunset, bayou, mid America etc. plenty of you probably know me and plenty of you all probably know me personally, since everything is over now I would love to start helping beginners in this sport I feel it's my responsibility to give back to a sport that has given so much to me now lets get ta business on the topic of taking the water away, to be a great feeder you cannot go by a keep that tells you when to pull the water from your roosters you have to learn how to feel moisture in a rooster and adjust accordingly, thanks p.s if anyone needs help with anything please feel free to ask I sit home bored all day and would love to help the beginners out
    How do you feel moisture on a rooster? what do you look for?

Post Thanks / Like

Louisianabred, who did you feed for when it was up and running and where did you show?

I'm always interested in learning new, innovative, and unique methods of feeding as well as what additives work and in what way.

thanks in advance.

Shocker