Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About that Time to start catching some stags!!!

Post Thanks / Like

About that Time to start catching some stags!!!

Every year if you let most of your springs breedings run on the yard or farm or wherever you choose to let your fowl run there comes a time when you have to catch them as we all know. I usually wait until they start crowing and then i catch them up, i have around 25 stags running around my place at this time. There isnt to many thats crowing yet that i know of except for 3 hatch roundhead brothers i managed to catch 2 of the 3 in these past 2 days, still one more to go and hes the smartest out of the 3 because he has seen me capture his brothers hahah. It should be a fun time catching him, but i have around 9 or 10 more stags that are running up on the age for penning. I usually let all my fowl free roam the yard unless im to scared for a certain breed to be roaming and i pen them up as soon as they hatch, but yea its about that time again. hopefully i can start posting some pics soon of this years birds!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: About that Time to start catching some stags!!!

Its important to let your stags run as long as you possibly can without them harming each other..look for that to happen right after a rain as they dont recognize their brothers after a rain and are prone to hurt each other then...If you remove all the hens and pullets running on the yard you can let your stags free range much longer than you could with the hens and pullets running with them...Then they dont have anything to fight over...try it....believe me it works!

3. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea thats true also but i like catching mine when they start crowing to me thats old enough to be captured lol

5. Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i Finally caught the last penning size hatch roundhead brother as stated above and he proved to be the smartest out of the 3. It took me a whole hour to catch him i started to give up many a times lol but then i thought about it if i do he will be that much harder next time to catch so i just kept at it, i seen he kept out smarting me so i finally had to out smart him lol let me tell you out of all the years ive bred birds and had to catch them to pen them up this stag took me to my limit a couple of times he betta b a damn good un lol

Post Thanks / Like

I try to hold off on penning until they are the boss of the yard. I got some mean old hens running keeping them stags in place. Normally i raise all pure stuff but, this year is most whitehackle crosses. I am keeping all my pure young ones penned due to those are the ones I am needing the most.

8. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea thats what i do too i pen up what i need the most when they are born but these are around 7 months,and i wanted to go ahead and pen them up before a dog get em or they get hit by a car or anything happens to em ya know, the rest ill let them get about the same

10. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe me brother I understand...Although I do try to let mine free-range as long as possible that usually means losing a few more of em...I know all too well....I do always try to let the show stags run as long as possible....It makes a difference in the long run...but straight-bred fowl sometimes are shut up a little earlier..especially if i'm running low on that particular breed...lol..We all know how expensive it can be to replace good broodfowl....A friend told me recently that he tried to breed at least 50 of any straight breds that he has,...To have plenty to choose from for broodfowl ....makes perfect sense...but lately I havent had the good fortune to have 50 of any one strain,,,,lol...I am cutting back to just a few breeds,,,rather than trying to keep 6 or 8 different bloodlines...That is almost impossible for a back yard breeder...Takes too many pens and way too much time to run that many strains of fowl...I'm a firm believer in keeping less lines and having more of each to cull properly...I quess what I'm tryin to say is its better to have 3 strains of good fowl that you can cull properly and take good care of than have 10 difffernet breeds that you cant raise enough of to cull properly because you have too many to care for ...40 good chickens that have had great care and are culled properly are better than a couple hundred that have had half-assed care and just kept what you end up with to breed because you didnt have enough of them to properly cull them..yfis
    Last edited by Buckscocks; August 16th, 2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: mispelling & errors

12. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Likes Yunke8888 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i penned a few of my early bred birds already....way i catch mine i go out in the yardwith a catch rooster put him on a cord as yard bosses come and engauge him i catch them easy reach down and pick them up..do same thing as new bosses emerge. easy way...when they come to catch rooster and fight they are ready.

14. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have produced 137 stags this season and i started harvesting and hardening them at the age of 4 months. Before, i started investigating the real advantage of ranging stags as long as i can vs penning them at an early age. I was surprised that most of my winners on stag derbies are those coming from the batch that i penned at an earlier age. Maybe its because their feeds were evenly rationed and they were nourished on a more balance scale unlike when they are free ranged. I was able to monitor the things they eat at the same time and give them what i think is lacking in their enviroment. I have also noticed that they all grew on a uniform size unlike those that were ranged. Their stamina and energy during their show was acceptable to me since some of them lasted to the drag. Now that their at their 7 mos, I really appreciate their beauty as their feathers went undamage since their birth. Just my 50 cents.

16. Thanks Yunke8888 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The stag that ran me to the brink lol, i had to catch them,they were the last 3 free ranging hatch rhs i had, i have others that i penned from hatch and they are doing excellent..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocker91 View Post
    Yea thats what i do too i pen up what i need the most when they are born but these are around 7 months,and i wanted to go ahead and pen them up before a dog get em or they get hit by a car or anything happens to em ya know, the rest ill let them get about the same
    If I let any of mine run till 7 months they would be fighting like crazy. I normally have to pen them 4-5 months old to keep them from wire fighting with the cocks.

Post Thanks / Like

That one i posted the pic of he has been wire fighting, i didnt see it but i looked at the back of his toes and they are beat a little and i thought they were 7 months cause how big they are but i looked at my chart and they were born in march, the first chicks to hatch off to be exact, there was another thread earlier this year about newly hatched chicks and i posted them the day they came off you can see em there, i had 8, only these 3 left, they gonna be some hauses i promise you that since they are this big and this young
    Last edited by Gamecocker91; August 16th, 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Them in march, ill try to post the other 2 brothers a little later

Post Thanks / Like

what i like to use to catch stags and pullets when the time comes is a fishing net, makes it a hell of alot easier cause when you gotta run em down it aint fun in my oppinion

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i use a net also, i might nee to start using a cast net to catch them haha

Post Thanks / Like

yea lol youd have to be an ace at throwin one though

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i did catch a sea gull once with one lol it was luck though hadent been able to do it since lol

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 4x8 all wire catch pen I feed my range stags & pullets in every day. Comes time catch them just close the door. After a while it feels like home to them~LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BamaOkie View Post
    I have a 4x8 all wire catch pen I feed my range stags & pullets in every day. Comes time catch them just close the door. After a while it feels like home to them~LOL!

very nice idea bamaokie makes a lot of sense

Post Thanks / Like

bamaokie,

what is the Bloodline of that white?

Post Thanks / Like

bama okie i believe ill try that idea next year, feed em in my barn everyday when it time to catch em just shut the doors

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 whitehackle 1/2 claret this cross is looking good.

30. Likes Shrek, Bigsoft, regulargrey, spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SS Gamefowl View Post
    bama okie i believe ill try that idea next year, feed em in my barn everyday when it time to catch em just shut the doors
    I have a few 10x10 kennels I use as brood pens, they're open right now and i feed in those, but most mine roost in the barn or in those pens so I catch em off roost first if I can. If they roost in trees I try n catch em in the pen n pull em off roost that night.

Watched a MT x KKQ go a few rounds with one on a cord yesterday evening, don't think he actually meant to end up in a spar, just kinda stumbled into it. N I ain't even been teaching him to fight!! He and a brother and a BamaBlack are next up for catching.

32. Likes spring creek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

34. Thanks TopNotchfarms thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IMG_7039.jpgIMG_7036.jpgIMG_7034.jpgIMG_7043.jpgIMG_7074.jpg59 degrees this morning 9-3-17 stags feeling froggy this morning

36. Likes Sig1911, SoCalFran, E.Mullen, tonetone559 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They were feeling to froggy here this morning since first cool we've had. I had to pen 6 of the oldest as they were huddled around hitting each other. Guess there nuts dropped same time. Glad I went to barn early or would have had a mess

38. Likes TopNotchfarms, BamaOkie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

40. Likes Shrek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just catch 3 brothers yesterday anyone that wants to help me putting the pictures here let me know

Post Thanks / Like

(Posted for Spanky81.)
    Last edited by tonetone559; September 4th, 2017 at 11:21 AM.

43. Likes Nauvoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These are the pea comb side.
    Last edited by tonetone559; September 10th, 2017 at 07:51 AM.

45. Likes RLaurent14 liked this post