Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tari Sharpening

Gallos Locos

Question Tari Sharpening

Which stones do you use? I like using a Diamond hone for rough cutting, and Arkansas stones for final polishing.

CyberFriends
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Gallos Locos,
    I use the Red India stone for rough honing and soft Black Arkansas extra fine stone for final tagis on my Cobalt Knife. The Soft Arkansas stone is one of the best for sharpening any kind of metal.

------------------
    Sonny

[This message has been edited by Sundowner (edited 05-29-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I'd like to get the Tormek machine made in Sweden. The price went down to $385 from $400 plus. It has a big waterstone wheel and for honing it has a plastic wheel covered with leather. I saw the same waterstone wheel at a flea market this weekend and it cost $35. The electric cord have to be fixed for plugging. Bad thing I didn't have the money to buy it then. I hope it will still be there this Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use diamond hone for rough sharpening and Arkansas for the final touch. Btw, I will be bringing 24 pcs Arkansas pocket stones and 10 Ezelap diamond hones with me when I arrive there next week as samples. The Ezelap hone I'm bringing is the model 591 diafold in fine grade. It is approx 3/4" x 3 1/4" with an oval shaped surface on both sides which makes it ideal for sharpening curved blades like tari. It is has a 4" plastic handle which folds over the hone when closed to protect it, just like the balisong or fan knife. The Arkansas stones are available in 4 grades; hard, true hard, black hard and translucent. The hard is a fine grade suitable for general sharpening and finish while the last 3 are super fine grades for a really fine edge with a mirror like finish. The last 3 grades are very similar, the difference is mainly only in the color of the stone, although the translucent is more expensive because it is quite rare. All grades are available in 2 sizes, 1" x 4" x 1/2" and 1" x 4" x 1/4" and they come in a leather pouch. I have 4 pcs of the 1/2" thick ones made with a special oval or coffin shaped surface on one side for easier sharpening of curved blades. I have imported these hones direct from Arkansas and I plan to distribute them in the Philippines.

[This message has been edited by Rigolleto (edited 05-31-2002).]
    Last edited by Rigolleto; February 17th, 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Gallos Locos

Question

Hello Rigolleto, how much will you be selling the Diamond hones and Arkansas stones for? Please e-mail me. Thanks buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

visit this site http://www.tormek.com

Post Thanks / Like

Gallos Locos,

Did you receive my email? I used the address on your profile.

Gallos Locos

Yup, I've recieved your e-mail, and replied. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Gallos Locos (edited 06-01-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

[This message has been edited by Camarines (edited 06-03-2002).]

Post Thanks / Like

Gallos Locos

Post Thanks / Like

Friends, are these arkansas tools available in Philippines? Where? How much?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump ! ! !

Raul,

These are the sharpening stones I'm talking about

Post Thanks / Like
    Pre GL, there is an ultra fine model of that kind and also a porcelain model for the final touch which I bought and sent to PI. My mananari said they are excellent!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

basyada

hi guys, do you send them(tari) to basyada each time you use it of tagistagis for a few times b4 you send them for the real one? fis aka Tibay...

Post Thanks / Like
    Knives made from quality blade steel do not have to be re-sharpened after every use. I use my blades up to 6 times before vaciada. I just touch them up on my eze-lap diamond hones and arkansas stones. My older knives are made from ATS 34, the new ones are CPM S-30V.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you

kabalen(rigolleto) that was fast lol...what about the shape???square or coffin shape??? which is better? hope this wasn't ask b4. my advance thanks..aka Tibay

Post Thanks / Like

Prices Please...

Rigoletto Bro.,

Pleas email me your selling price. Thanks.
    My email addy is tabuksuba@msn.com

TBS

Gallos Locos
    I just brought in several Hard Arkansas, India and Ceramic stones. My friends took them all prety fast :lol:. Some more are expected on August or mid-September.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sir Henry,
    I would prefer the arkansas pocket fine stone for final touch... thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Kaibigan Rigolleto,

Five or six times after use then you sharpen your type of LK. Just a question, before fight time you don't even slightly sharpen them. Just asking.

Thanks,
    Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard,

Read my post, "I just touch them up with my eze-lap diamond hones and Arkansas stones", meaning I do this before and after using them. It is a waste of good steel if you have to re-grind them each time you use them.

Banderado84,

I use the domed or coffin shaped surface Arkansas stones because my blades are quite short and medium to high point, they have a more pronounced curve than the standard tare. Initially, a flat surface is really not suitable for my knives as the blade will only touch the edges of the stone. In due time, the edges will wear out anyway resulting in a more rounded surface but I would rather have them that way when new even though they cost me a bit more than waiting for them to wear out to the desired shape.

vcampoo
    Rigolleto,

Please email me the contact number of your uncle in PI.
    I need the arkansas stones black hard or translucent. The super fine grades for a really fine edge with a mirrorlike finish in size, 1" x 4" x 1/2" that come in a leather pouch. I need the ones made with a special oval or coffin shaped surface on one side for easier sharpening of curved blades.

Thanks & Regards...
    vcampoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Vcampoo,

Pls check your email, called my uncle last night, told him about you and others who are inquiring about the stones, he will be expecting your call, hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rigoletto thanks for clarifying what "touch them up" means. Not very familiar with knives and their maintenance.

- RIchard

Post Thanks / Like

very interesting

and important topic...may be as important as tari making itself heheh, i agree with with rigolletto that you dont waste that precious metal by vasyada each time you use it specially your favorite tari heheh every mananare has their own favorite i guess..the fastest killer, ofcourse your aces has to do the necessary fatal kick... in the heart...just around da kilikili heheh... fis...aka Tibay

Post Thanks / Like
    Banderado84,

Some gaffers have no choice, they have to have their blades go to the vaciador after each use because the blade is in a very bad condition, usualy folded (tiklop), this is an indication of (a)poor quality, steel is too soft or (b) the blade geometry is not correct. Some tare makers, usually vaciadors as well, hollow ground their knives with a too thin edge, almost like a razor blade that is why it folds easily even though the steel may be of good quality, blame it ignorance or good business practice. If you think about it, this is actually good for their business but bad for our pockets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rigolleto,

What is the appoximate total bevel angle for tari?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sabit,

I think a 30 degree secondary bevel with a 20 degree primary bevel will be ideal for the tare, anything less will result in a sharper knife but the strength of the edge will be compromised due to the lack of material behind it. Scalpels have about 10 degree bevel which makes them very sharp but they go dull quite easily because of this. Initially, I make my knives with a convex grind but when I get them sharpened in the Philippines after some use, I have no choice but to have them re-profiled with a secondary bevel as my vaciador does not have the facility to sharpen convex edges. He does not have a belt grinder, only a wheel so all he can do is hollow ground.

Post Thanks / Like

2 7/8" to 3 1/4" long knife

Knife I sharpened.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Camarines; December 7th, 2006 at 07:44 PM.