Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good pricing for hens

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good pricing for hens

Quote Originally Posted by DPotter View Post
    Gents,

Check out my farm's first ad (in the Gamecock magazine / October issue, pg 14). My website is not up yet but I'm trying to get it up by the weekend. See also post #83 here; http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showt...t=66612&page=3

Thanks,
    Donald F. Potter Jr.
    Potterrosa Gamefowl Farm
    Wilmer, Alabama
    Thank you sir donald.. Hope to buy from you s0on.

Post Thanks / Like

Gents,

Check out my farm's first ad (in the Gamecock magazine / October issue, pg 14). My website is not up yet but I'm trying to get it up by the weekend. See also post #83 here; http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showt...t=66612&page=3

Thanks,
    Donald F. Potter Jr.
    Potterrosa Gamefowl Farm
    Wilmer, Alabama

My website is up and running now. I'll improve on it with time but it's a start for now. Check it out and enjoy.

www.Potterrosa.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking bird on the front page.

Post Thanks / Like

Are we talking "pure" hens or crossed hens? From what I've seen this does have an effect on prices.

Speaking of hens, any blue crosses available in the U.S.? PM me plz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zacdaddy77 View Post
    A good producing hen from a winning line of quality fowl is priceless. I gave $750. for my original Kelso hen, and it was more than worth it. I won't turn loose any hens for cheap, if they are not as good as my best, I cull them. Thats what real breeders do, they cull their culls, not sell them. Look how many eggs one hen can produce, half of those will potentially be stags. Now take into consideration the cost of pens, dewormer, tiecords, feed and water, not to mention your time. The cost of the hen is really not a big factor in the long wrong.

,Zac
    Zac is correct. I buy from him a good Kelso broodhen. I did not breed this hen for almost a year to make her acclimatize first (as all imported Kelsos I had die after 3-4 months from acquisition), plus gave her vitimanins. Recently, my handler told me that the stags produced out of this hen over possum Sweater showed good sign. Therefore one of the best offspring out of this hen is planned to breed back to her this coming breeding season. My five cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by green leg hatch View Post
    Nice looking bird on the front page.
    Green Leg Hatch,

Actually, my wife picked out that picture. She has a pretty good eye for the birds. Also, even though, when I retired from active duty military (after 28+ years) I chose to move to and live in Alabama, I'm original from Greenup County, Kentucky. That's up in the northeast corner of the state, but my Dad's family is all from down in the mountains (the southeast part / Letcher, Pike, Knott and Floyd counties). Since I'm into genealogy some family names (other than Potter) are: Bentley, Mullins, Skeens, Prater, Bates. Thanks for the nice comment.

V/r,
    Donald Potter Jr.
    Potterrosa Gamefowl Farm
    Wilmer, Alabama

Post Thanks / Like
    What branch was you in dpotter I was active army

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter R Farm View Post
    What branch was you in dpotter I was active army

Rafter R Farm,

I did a little over 8 years in the Army (1979-87) and was a Cobra pilot. Then a little over 20 years in the Coast Guard (1987-2007). I then flew HH-3Fs, HH-60Js and the TH-57B/C as an instructor at Navy Flight School (NAS Whiting Field/near Pensacola, Fl). The Coast Guard sends their pliots through Navy Flight School and we have to supply some instructors to them. That was my last active duty assignment. I currently am a civil service (GS) flight instructor for the Coast Guard here in Mobile, Alabama. I don't instruct in the aircraft anymore but instruct in the flight simulators and classroom.

V/R,
    Donald F. Potter Jr.
    Potterrosa Gamefowl Farm
    Wilmer, Alabama

P.S.
    Thank you so much for your service to our country

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome dpotter sounds like you had one of the more exciting enlistments . I'm guessing you were eaither a commissioned officer or a warrant officer ?

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome dpotter sounds like you had one of the more exciting enlistments . I'm guessing you were eaither a commissioned officer or a warrant officer ?

Rafter R Farm,

Yes, I had a great ride. And good guess also. I enlisted in Aug 1979 with a guarantee for Warrant Officer Flight School. Graduated flight school Aug 1980 as a WO-1. Made it up to CWO-3 (when there was other 4 Warrant Officer grades) before accepting a direct commisiion as a Ensign in the Coast Guard. How about your Army service? Where were you stationed?

V/r,
    Donald F. Potter Jr.
    Potterrosa Gamefowl Farm
    Wilmer, Alabama

Post Thanks / Like

price is what the owner ask period a good brood hen is very costly if even for sale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Engkanto View Post
    Let me share my two cents on this topic.

I grew up with the impression that your hens (the real good ones) are your most prized possessions and that your entire breeding program's success or failure is anchored on your hens. I learned this from my Uncles way back while in PI. My uncles will sell or even gift some of their winners to close friends but never a hen they were using for breeding, no matter how old she is. I remember he would ask my cousins to catch some hens/pullets and bring them to us during our birthdays to butcher but never he will sell one even at a very good price.

Now my point is, if you're buying a hen from a very successful and reputable breeder, you're first goal really is how to convince him to sell you his good hens and if he does, be ready to pay for the price he ask for her. The price should NOT really be a big issue. If you can't afford her, just tell him so and explain that you really want that particular hen and maybe also explain how you think she will help your breeding program. Then tell the breeder that you will come back later when you have saved enough moolah. And remember not to get anything that he will offer you for less the price. Just stick to what you think you really like/need. Usually the breeder, after seeing how serious you are with your breeding plans, will let you have a better hen when you come back or maybe will even gift you an extra pullet or stag to help with your plans (most of these breeders are hesitant to let their best to someone they don't have a clue on how their hens are gonna be bred).

Just sharing some tips based on experience, lol...

Good luck amigo.
    I agree I value my brood hens above my brood cocks for one your stags will get most of their traits from hen side harder to prove out a hen as done by offspring and a cock can produce more stags for testing. I normally dont turn loose of hens.
    Last edited by j007; October 16th, 2012 at 03:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dpotter I was stationed at ft stewart ga in the 3rd infantry division as a combat engineer I only made it to sergeant tho but I started out as E-1 private I woulda made it further but they gave me the boot when I got a pinched nerve in my neck during transition coming back home from Iraq . Did you ever deploy to the big sandbox ?

Post Thanks / Like

i'd say go to a show and watch the fowl show and if they inpress you buy the mom and dad if they will sale then b.c that is a proven brood pen .......................

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, if I just bought some birds and bred them, I wouldn't mind selling pullets for maybe $150. each. But you are not just buying a hen, you are buying a bloodline. If its well bred fowl, from quality winning lines, you are buying all the hard work, and testing that have went into the fowl, for generations. As it stands, I'd rather cull my extras, than let my lines out for $250 per hen. Once you let out the blood, its gone, you don't know who will end up with it, or what they'll do with it. If I'm going to match someone, I'd much rather match against the offspring of their discount hens, than my own fowl anyway.

,Zac

Post Thanks / Like

check out the Bob Howard ad in the gamefowl classifieds on this website. He is selling breeding hens and pullets. high quality at affordable price. he 73 years old and my friend. just trying to help him reduce his flock before the snow starts the fall up North.

Post Thanks / Like

Sell them at a swap meet! The japs will buy them and eat them that way you don't have to worry about anyone getting your line. $5 dollhairs.

Post Thanks / Like

proven shmooooven!!! **** the damn name look over the hen, pullet or cock. Look'em over damn good look at the feet and legs watch out for the bad feet. Watch how they act..... If he's a stag 8mo or better he should be throwing his wing down and shuffling his feet around when you walk bye. If he's skiddish.... ehh it's 50/50 your call all the build.

Post Thanks / Like

Dpotter I was stationed at ft stewart ga in the 3rd infantry division as a combat engineer I only made it to sergeant tho but I started out as E-1 private I woulda made it further but they gave me the boot when I got a pinched nerve in my neck during transition coming back home from Iraq . Did you ever deploy to the big sandbox ?

Rafter R Farm,

No sandbox for me. I was in the Coast Guard even before the first Gulf War. Did some flying for Operation Uphold Democracy/Restore Democracy (1994-95/Haiti). Sorry for your nerve trouble and again thank you for your service.

V/r,
    Don Potter Jr

Post Thanks / Like
    I havnt really had much trouble out of the nerve since I got out . Just the occasional flare up . So how many birds do you got over there

Post Thanks / Like

I havnt really had much trouble out of the nerve since I got out . Just the occasional flare up . So how many birds do you got over there

Rafter R Farm,

Between 275 and 300 at the moment but I am currently advertizing in the Gamecock magazine to sell the pullets from this years hatching.

V/r,
    Donald F. Potter Jr.
    Potterrosa Gamefowl Farm
    www.potterrosa.com

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a lot of birds man. I believe I have between 60-70 at the moment , but I quit raising for 15 years and just started back around may or June this year . I'm still getting a little broodstock that I'd like to have , but I'm slowly expanding I plan to have around 100-150 by this time next year I figure that will give me plenty to keep with a few extra left over to sell without getting so many I can't breed for quality

Post Thanks / Like

Gents,

Thanks,
    Donald F. Potter Jr.
    Potterrosa Gamefowl Farm
    Wilmer, Alabama
    Boys all im going to say is dont miss out!